Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Howard's NBA stature still growing

Howard's NBA stature still growing

Newfound maturity has transformed All-Star into a team leader

12:40 AM CDT on Thursday, April 5, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

DENVER Josh Howard maintains nothing has changed for him, that he still does everything the same way he did it last year and the year before, just maybe a little better now.

But there's strong evidence that he's not the same.

The Mavericks' 6-7 swingman seems to have a different air about him, and it's been identified by the person who should know best.

Being an All-Star has its advantages.

"I would hope that it had an effect on him," coach Avery Johnson said. "He knows he's in that next tier of guys. He understands he has a greater responsibility to the team.

"It's not Josh Howard who came in as a rookie and started half of the season. It's Josh Howard who on a lot of nights can very well be our best player. On other nights, he's probably our second-best player. And on other nights, he's our third-best. So he is the Josh Howard who knows he has a greater sense of responsibility, offensively and defensively."

Howard owned up to that responsibility Tuesday night in Sacramento, where he had 29 points one off his career best and eight rebounds to lead the Mavericks over the Kings in a game Dirk Nowitzki missed.

That kind of showing reinforces this is not the same Howard who came into the league as a quiet kid who was willing to defer to just about everybody on the team.

This is a player who now has the physical tools and the mental grit to make his mark on just about any game.

"I just try to stay aggressive no matter what the situation," Howard said. "I don't notice any difference. But other people do, I guess."

It's called growing up, and Howard has done plenty this season. He became a father. He's got the tag of All-Star and of Nowitzki's lieutenant. Combined, they are as tough a forward tandem as there is in the league.

That Howard is averaging career bests in points (19.5 per game) and rebounds (7.1) indicates that he's zeroed in on his upgraded role.

Howard also has learned to deal with the nagging injuries that cost him 42 games the last three seasons.

"Josh is a warrior," Johnson said. "Josh is one of the people I don't have to worry about. Josh just plays every night. The other night against the Knicks, he could have missed that game. But he said, 'Coach, I've got to do it.' He lays it out on the floor every night. And he's learned how to play through pain."

It comes with his newfound status.

The "everybody" factor: The current road trip started with the Mavericks dealing with Phoenix's racehorse style. Sacramento and Denver, the last two legs of the trip, also like to get up and down the floor. But getting ready for running teams isn't a huge adjustment for the Mavericks.

Avery Johnson said the NBA is so diverse now that teams have to be versatile enough to adjust to different systems.

"They have a different kind of style," Johnson said of the Suns. "But as tough as they are to play against, it's tough to play against Houston because of the Yao Ming factor. And it's tough to play against (the Spurs) because of the Tim Duncan factor. It's tough to play against Miami because of the Shaq factor. So I think there are just different factors."

And, of course, the Mavericks have a factor, too.

"Probably," Johnson said. "That Nowitzki factor is a pretty good factor."

Briefly: The Mavericks were given a day off Wednesday in Denver. The Nuggets played Sacramento on Wednesday at Pepsi Center the Mavs' and Kings' planes could have flown in formation from Sacramento to Denver Tuesday night. ... Dirk Nowitzki was feeling better after missing the Kings game with food poisoning. He expects to play Friday against the Nuggets. ... Jerry Stackhouse got conked in the head against the Kings and had an ice bag on it after the game.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
Howard's NBA stature still growing

Newfound maturity has transformed All-Star into a team leader

12:40 AM CDT on Thursday, April 5, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

Howard also has learned to deal with the nagging injuries that cost him 42 games the last three seasons.

"Josh is a warrior," Johnson said. "Josh is one of the people I don't have to worry about. Josh just plays every night. The other night against the Knicks, he could have missed that game. But he said, 'Coach, I've got to do it.' He lays it out on the floor every night. And he's learned how to play through pain."

It comes with his newfound status.
Slow night on the board. I hate two nights off, but good for the team.

Josh is a main reason this team has 62 wins this year. I expected improvement from him this year, but never thought he would take it to the level he has. This team should have several great more years ahead of them, but I guess that would be another thread.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote