Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default For Mavericks, stepping up now automatic

For Mavericks, stepping up now automatic

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENVER -- Imagine the impassioned plea, one of those Gipper speeches designed to inspire the troops in the absence of their fallen star.

A coach nicknamed "General" would seem the prime candidate to deliver such a rousing sermon.

So guess what? Avery Johnson didn't go there when an ill Dirk Nowitzki couldn't get out of bed a couple of nights ago in Sacramento.

"Not even a mention," Jerry Stackhouse said. "Avery didn't say one thing about it. The only thing we were concerned about was how Dirk was feeling. We know we've got guys that step up and have been in the role of carrying teams."

Winning in spite of the circumstance has been a trait of these Mavericks all season. Off for two days before finishing the three-game road trip Friday with Denver, the Mavs (62-12) have made a habit out of coming through.

Whether their main guys are in street clothes (or in bed) or they're on the road (29-8) or on the second half of a back-to-back (13-1) or down to start the fourth quarter (12-9) or in any other situation ripe for disappointment, the NBA leaders have found a way.

"That's why we have a system," Johnson said. "We have a game plan. We've got to go out and execute. We just don't make any excuses."

They didn't make any Tuesday without their leading scorer and rebounder. The Mavs needed to straighten out a few things regardless of who suited up.

Losing a rivalry game wasn't as disconcerting as why they lost. The Mavs were exploited defensively all over the court in a 126-104 loss to Phoenix on Sunday, an unacceptable truth they wanted to correct against the Kings.

"Our focus wasn't so much about offense and picking up the load," Stackhouse said. "It was about defense. About bouncing back from the dismal performance against Phoenix.

"That's what we're more proud about than anything is that we were able to get back to some of the things we hang our hat on. Even though we weren't great, we were a lot better than we were the other night."

Protecting the basket was one of the deficiencies addressed from Phoenix to Sacramento. Erick Dampier (out at Phoenix) and DeSagana Diop combined for 11 rebounds and four blocks Tuesday.

"We both have nagging injuries at this point," Dampier said. "His back is real tight, my shoulder is sore and a little painful, but we're trying to do whatever we can to try to help this team win. It's rebounding, blocking shots and scoring when we get the opportunity."

At one point or another, everyone has stepped up. Whether it's Austin Croshere or Devean George starting for Nowitzki or those most associated as the heavy lifters picking up the slack.

Jason Terry scored 27 points against Sacramento, and Stackhouse added another 23 off the bench.

Josh Howard topped everyone with 29, though he doesn't feel he's the automatic go-to guy when Nowitzki is missing.

"Somewhat, but we've got guys like Jet and Stackhouse," Howard said. "I'm still a young guy. I'm still following and learning and watching these guys. Anything I can do, I'm going to do."

Howard is, after all, an All-Star.

"That's cool," he said with a grin. "I keep forgetting about that."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I love this team. Glad they didn't handle the loss against the Suns the way did.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote