Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-16-2002, 11:08 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Where will we wind up?

Will we win and the Spurs lose and get the 2nd seed?

Will we win and the Spurs win and the Lakers lose and get the 3rd seed?

Will we win along with both of the others and get the 4th seed?

Or will we back into the playoffs with a loss?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2002, 11:14 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The only issue I see if whether the Spurs win or lose. The Mavs win. period. I have no idea what seed they get.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

What I do KNOW for sure is that the Mavs will win.

What Im pretty sure will happen is your 4th option. All 3 teams win and the Mavs stick with the 4th seed.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:17 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling kind of pessimistic - I think the Mavs and Spurs will win and the Lakers will lose. I hope we don't (knock on wood) but I have the feeling that we're going to get that 3rd seed.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:18 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Ugh....I hope not MFFL.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:20 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< What Im pretty sure will happen is your 4th option. All 3 teams win and the Mavs stick with the 4th seed. >>

And I've got a feeling Phil Jackson will stick it to us by losing... letting them coast to 4 and

a) not playing the Blazers
b) playing Minny and Sacramento
c) not playing the possible Spurs till the WCFs

I say we let our starters play a quarter... then call off the hounds and play the lineup of

Wang
Bradley
Esch
LaFrentz
Najera

and let them get experience working together.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:22 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The one positive of having 3rd seed is that we'll have homecourt advantage when facing the Lakers, right?

I don't see Nelson trying to lose the game like the Lakers would.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:23 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

I think that's right MFF.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:23 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

Bayliss - those 5 could beat Phoenix. I don't see how we can lose tomorrow, we have everything to play for and the only thing they have going for them is pride (and I haven't seen much of that in Phoenix this year).
Old 04-16-2002, 11:26 PM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

But Nellie has to see what we see:

If Mavs win and Lakers lose then

a) we play PORTLAND
b) we play SA w/o home court

If Mavs lose and Lakers win/lose then

a) we play Minny
b) we play Sacramento

um... I'm not a rocket scientist but I say we tank it. Especially considering that the Lakers play Sacramento.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:27 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Bayliss- we all agree on the point of the benefit of tanking it, but it will never happen.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
Bayliss

<< Bayliss - those 5 could beat Phoenix. >>

Then put Nellie in a Mavs uniform... maybe put Del and Donnie out there too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm serious... I think we are a good team BUT

I do not like our chances **at all** if we finish 3rd.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:29 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

<< um... I'm not a rocket scientist but I say we tank it. Especially considering that the Lakers play Sacramento. >>

Who do we have that won't beat the crap out of Phoenix. Nellie can't ask his players to lose - it might screw up their psyche. When you are in a groove you can't jump out of it because you can't guarantee you can get back into it.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:31 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Tomorrow will be an incredible day....talk to you all then!!!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:32 PM   #15
Bayliss

That's what the quarter(s) for starters are for.

MFFL... what's the difference between letting the bench play the last half becxause it helps our chances and letting them play because of a blowout?
Old 04-16-2002, 11:36 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

No difference - I just don't think the Mavs have ANY players bad enough to lose to Phoenix.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:38 PM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

We all see the benefit of losing the game and it surely has been pointed out to Nelson if he didn't figure it out himself.

I just don't see him intentionally losing a game for the chips to fall that way like the Lakers would.

And I doubt the players are thinking, c'mon guys if we lose this one look at our options. If we win, look what happens then. I think they have too much pride and competiveness to think that way.

Maybe Im wrong though.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:41 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

Don wants to win

Winning Weekend
No Advantage In Losing, Says Don
By Mike Fisher – DallasBasketball.com

As the Mavericks were about to board a plane Friday on the way to a back-to-back road trip against playoff entrant Seattle and playoff power Sacramento, we asked Don Nelson something rather innocuous about the difference between being a No. 2 seed and a No. 4 seed.

“Where do you people get this stuff? We don’t think about that!’’ Nellie fired back. “We’re not approaching this as if there is any advantage to losing. Because there isn’t. We don’t want to lose.’’

We were left with the distinct impression that by the time we’d gotten to Nellie that day, he’d heard enough sandbagging gossip, enough speculation about some secret reason for Dirk Nowitzki sitting, enough guessing about which postseason path to the Finals would be less arduous.

“The more you win,’’ Nellie said, “the better it is. That’s all. … &quot;We'd rather match up with the Pismo Beach Panthers. There isn't a team that's easy in the West.&quot;

True. But because the Pismo Beach Panthers didn’t qualify for the postseason (but wait until next year!), the most advantageous position for Dallas might be as the fourth seed. The Mavs will keep an eye on the possibility of a San Antonio or a Lakers loss that could change things, but the Mavs as a fourth seed means an opening series against No. 5 Minnesota, then a likely second-round match with Sacramento (against which the Mavs have experienced more success than SA and LA), and then, if Dallas advances, the survivor of the other side of the bracket, Spurs or Lakers, in the Western Conference Finals.

Get the No. 4 seed and have a slightly easier time on paper. Get a No. 3 seed and the trio of potential foes goes Portland, San Antonio and LA. Get an even higher seed, No. 2, and possibly have a Midwest Division title to hang your hat on.

As far as planning this out, in Nellie’s mind, the Mavs can’t lose – unless they get to the playoffs and do just that, of course.

What did Nellie say? “We don’t think about that! We’re not approaching this as if there is any advantage to losing. Because there isn’t. We don’t want to lose.’’

As if Nellie’s verbal outburst wasn’t convincing enough, his club spent the weekend backing it up. First came the drubbing of the Sonics, a 116-99 victory in which Nowitzki sat while the Mavs chalked up their 55th victory, a win in which more playoff fine-tuning was evident as Dallas, for the sixth straight time, held an opponent to under 100.

Then on Sunday – against the league-leading Kings – Nellie’s bunch did it again.

No Dirk. A 113-100 victory. And a seventh straight time holding a foe to 100 or fewer. And a team record 56th win. And this time, the foe was a Sacramento team that has lead the NBA in scoring the last two seasons, a Sacramento team that hasn’t lost two home games at ARCO Arena to the same opponent all year (except for now, to Dallas), a Sacramento team that had lost four home games all year, a Sacramento team that had won 11 straight.

The two wins allow Dallas to remain tied with San Antonio atop the Midwest Division, a bittersweet thought because it makes the OT loss at home to Houston on Thursday so haunting.

But if Nellie’s message is that this team will go to the wire attempting to win, that it prefers to enter the playoffs as as high a seed as it can be, that it intends on doing so while on a roll, well, message received.

Said Steve Nash: &quot;If we don't win a championship, everybody in this locker room is going to be disappointed.’’

Different Mavs took turns making up for the absence of Nowitzki and his ailing ankle.

Nellie entered the weekend reporting that Nash “told me he is feeling better than he has in two weeks, so maybe he’s going to be OK.’’ Nash took it easy in Seattle, but seemed his old self in scoring 21 with 13 assists against Sacto.

In the win at Sacto, it was Nick Van Exel, exploding late with 14 of his 27 points in the fourth quarter, giving him 49 for the weekend. Against the Kings, Raef LaFrentz contributed 21 points and 13 boards. Michael Finley, taking over in the three games in which Nowitzki has missed, has averaged 27 points per in those games.

The Mavericks, the NBA’s best road team, eclipsed and extended the franchise record for road wins with their 26th and 27th roadies.

Dallas has now won seven of its last nine, and with one more back-to-back to end the regular season – Utah here on Tuesday, the Mavs are Phoenix on Wednesday – has a chance to give Nellie the third-best win-loss record of his 24-year career.

&quot;Isn't that something?&quot; Nelson said, much happier at the end of the weekend than he was at the beginning. &quot;Anytime you can do that, that has to be a pretty special year.&quot;
Old 04-16-2002, 11:43 PM   #19
Bayliss

<< And I doubt the players are thinking, c'mon guys if we lose this one look at our options. If we win, look what happens then. I think they have too much pride and competiveness to think that way. >>

Well... if it wasn't the Lakers then I'd agree. But I just have this sinkming feeling that Phil is looking for the Lakers possiilities and sees the picture.

Old 04-16-2002, 11:58 PM   #20
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

&quot;Will we win and the Spurs lose and get the 2nd seed?&quot;
I really hope so with my fingers crossed.
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:06 AM   #21
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I don't think the Lakers will intentionally tank it either. Especially not against the Kings. The Lakers seem to enjoy swatting down the Kings presumption more than they do any other team.

At a high level, you just don't intentionally tank a game. Ever. It ruins the psyche of your players to come out and tell them to lose.

I think all three teams win.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:09 AM   #22
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<<

<< And I doubt the players are thinking, c'mon guys if we lose this one look at our options. If we win, look what happens then. I think they have too much pride and competiveness to think that way. >>

Well... if it wasn't the Lakers then I'd agree. But I just have this sinkming feeling that Phil is looking for the Lakers possiilities and sees the picture.
>>

The Lakers own the Kings. I think Jackson is going to consider that more valuable than worrying about playoff opponents. Its not like the Wolves haven't been as dangerous to the Lakers as the Blazers have been this year.

I also think Jackson believes that the Laker's sense of themselves as champions is much more important than him telling the team, 'we want to avoid anybody'. I will be absolutely amazed if he tanks this game.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:02 AM   #23
OzDirkFan

OzDirkFan is on a distinguished road

Question guys. What is the playing order of these matches as far as time is concerned?

Mavs vs Suns
LA vs Sacto
SA vs Jazz

My point is. If SA play first, Nellie can theoritically choose what to do depending on the outcome. SA lost means Mavs need to win so we can put a banner in the AA center. YEAH! Go MAVS!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:25 AM   #24
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm a HUGE and I MEAN HUGE Jazz fan tonight...
Old 04-17-2002, 11:52 AM   #25
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

San Antonio-Utah starts at 8:00 Dallas time
Dallas-Phoenix starts at 9:00
and LA-Sacramento starts at 9:30

So theoretically the San Antonio results will be in at half-time for Dallas and around the 1st quarter for LA. And the Dall as results will be in for LA with about a quarter left.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:14 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

why would nellie admit at all that he would possibly be tanking it?
makes no sense..sets you up for all kinds of fines from the nba
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:21 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< San Antonio-Utah starts at 8:00 Dallas time
Dallas-Phoenix starts at 9:00
and LA-Sacramento starts at 9:30

So theoretically the San Antonio results will be in at half-time for Dallas and around the 1st quarter for LA. And the Dall as results will be in for LA with about a quarter left.
>>

I posted this same thought yesterday. Timing is everything, I suppose.

I think LA loses, in part because SAC will want to look good against the Lakers. As I said before, SAC may have the best record in the league, but they know who the favorite is to win the title. This may be a statement game for at least the first-half.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:31 PM   #28
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I think LA loses, in part because SAC will want to look good against the Lakers. As I said before, SAC may have the best record in the league, but they know who the favorite is to win the title. This may be a statement game for at least the first-half. >>

And that's why I think Sacramento loses. I think Jackzen and the Lakers will look to make this game an announcement that they have 'turned it on', and I think LA owns Sacramento.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #29
NashFan1341

NashFan1341 is on a distinguished road

Hey, newbie here *waves*

Just thought I'd jump in and say that I agree that LA will most likely win tonight b/c I believe despite the talent that SAC does have, I just don't think they are a threat. Besides all that, 1) the game tonight is at Staples (ie. dumb quote &quot;We can't win unless we have home court&quot; - Webber), 2) Web, Bobby Jackson and Hedo Turkoglu are sitting out this game (will likely be the excuse if Sacto loses), and 3) Jackson, Shaq, and Kobe have way too much pride to tank this game. They'd rather have the satisfaction of putting doubt in the Kings mind of being able to win a title. Plus the Lakers believe they can beat anybody, so let them take their chances against the Blazers. I'd rather it be them than our Mavs.

I believe if the Mavs do get 3rd, they can take the Blazers in a series. Just send Bradley out there to piss off Dale Davis, and have him ejected. That's likely to start the Blazers' downfall. Having the 3rd seed would just lead to a tougher path to the WC finals, and considering Dirk's ankle(s) and Nash's questionable health, having the 4th seed would be a much less physical road, ie. facing MN and SAC who are primarily jumpshooters vs. facing the defensive Blazers and Lakers then on to face SA.
NashFan1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

are new posters are welcome?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

another reason why the lakers might tank it is because they believe they can turn it on with ease for the playoffs
Old 04-17-2002, 07:45 PM   #31
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< are new posters are welcome?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
>>

Since he's agreeing with me, of course he's welcome. At least as long as he continues to do so.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:49 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

i'll do what i can to make sure he doesn't do that in the future
Old 04-17-2002, 08:11 PM   #33
NashFan1341

NashFan1341 is on a distinguished road

Well if the Lakers do lose tonight, then I'll be damn sure that they tanked. I just don't see them losing to SAC w/3 good players out...hell, I don't see LA losing to SAC with all of their star players in the game. Yes, Sacramento is a good team, but I think they'll choke again like they did last year.
NashFan1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:13 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

no, i actually don't see the lakers losing to the mavs either
Old 04-17-2002, 08:14 PM   #35
Drbio
Banned

Utah is beating the crap out of San Antonio early....12-3......Go Utah! Mavs could take the #2
Old 04-17-2002, 08:16 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

hmm...2 would be nice..although playing the lakers in the second round isn't ideal..
Old 04-17-2002, 08:20 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

too early to get excited....16-12 now.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

dirk's starting
Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Everyone and their brother reported he was out....sheesh....
Old 04-17-2002, 08:59 PM   #40
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Yep. The media is always on top of the facts.