Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Spider-Man 3 thread

Oh boy. It's going to be really interesting to hear some of your opinions. I know a lot of you are comic book fans, or just movie fans in general, and i know the opinions are going to be split.

Highlight section below to read spoilers.

Here's my take:

This movie is the reason why it's so important to hire a good cast and crew. In my opinion, Sam Raimi completely mailed this one in. Here's the first part of the movie that went wrong. They tried to go in the direction of making Parker/Spiderman a more dark character, but they have Sam Raimi and his brother writing it. I mean, they're films normally lean on comedy/action, which is the complete opposite of what this film was trying to accomplish. Second (and biggest) thing they did wrong was trying to fit too much into one film.

Some of the things they introduced, all of which are vital to the movie:

Symbiote
Idea of a new killer for Parker's uncle
Venom(i'm going to get to him in a second)
Gwen Stacey
Sandman(going to get to him too)

Now to Venom. I'm not going to spoil it or beat around the bush, if you're a Venom fan, you're going to hate this movie. Never mind the fact that neither he or Eddie Brock were in the movie much, it's when he actually becomes Venom, and the ending, that will disappoint you. Me and my cousin (who's a comic book junkie, and liked movies like Daredevil and Hulk. Even he said he was disappointed) were talking it over after the movie, they really should've waited to introduced the Symbiote/Venom story and maybe Carnage in a 4th film. I bet 90% of you will agree.

And James Franco's part was so corny and predictable. I like the guy in general, but he was the most poorly casted person in any 3 of the movies. And all he really did was say the same stuff he said in Spider-Man 2.

This next part is suppose to be good news, but it's pretty telling of how not-good this movie was. I felt that Sandman was the best part of this movie. He by far out of all 3 villans had the best scenes, and i know a lot of you don't want to hear that. And i felt like Thomas Haden Church was the only real actor in this movie.

Another thing that was good about this movie was Bryce Dallas Howard. Oh my god, she is smoking hot in this movie. I just recently saw her a few days ago, and she looked a little bloated b/c she's pregnant, so i was scared to see how she was going to look. But man was she hot

The last good part was Bruce Campbell. Everyone in that pack theatre (some people were sitting two to a chair) got a kick out of his little cameo.

With all that being said, i promised other people i'd see it with them later on today, so maybe seeing it again will change my views a little, but i doubt it.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman

Last edited by aexchange; 05-04-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

*reserved space for about 5PM today when my happy body comes traipsing out of a movie theater - NOT READING ABOVE POST*
Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Spiderman 1 was tolerable, Spiderman 2 was awful. Why would 3 be any good...although it does look darker, which is slightly promising.

Don't mind me, I'm having a hard time handling my grumpiness.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

im with j onthe first 2, but im gullibleenough to be excited for 3
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

There's no spoiler in my post, just opinion.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the movie was ok for the 30 minutes of it I was awake for. But was it because I'm tired? I don't think so, upon arriving home at 2:30AM after the movie I stayed up til 5AM watching Entourage season 2.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Is Snaggletooth McHatchetface in this one too?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i kinda want to see it, even though i think the first and second one were kinda cheesy
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay.... I'm pretty disappointed. It was average at best. And for the most part I agree with Nash on this one. It seemed disjointed at times.

**********Below this is slightly SPOILERISH so don't read if you care (and highlight if you don't)************
I was wondering if Gwen would ever show up in the films.
I understand the true story of the alien suit/Venom would take alot more than 1 picture to tell.... but dang it it would be worth it. I mean really.... would it be THAT hard to milk us for more money by having another movie with the secret wars? If so, how about at least do what the TV cartoon did and make it come back on a shuttle or something. An asteroid? That happens to land close to Peter? I looked past the failed opening credits, but once I saw this I knew I wasn't going to be entirely happy. They put this together for the general public. Not the lifelong fan. Another thing.... Venom has a long wicked tounge. I guess they thought he would be too scary? I'm actually getting more mad thinking about it now than I was when I was leaving the theater. It will make alot of money. Big whoop. Not what I wanted.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-04-2007 at 05:24 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Venom looked great. But didn't like the voice choice they went with for him. Topher Grace is fine with me dispite the obvious step away from the comic eddie brock...but when I see Venom..I want to hear Venom.

over all, I liked this one. Not as good as it could have been...but the sandman looked amazing as did Venom...the movie goes for a lot of laughs and hits one some of them...I just don't expect these comic movies to live up to my expectations...But Venom needs to be the sole villian...all this sharing stuff is weak...

The Goblin has been weak from SM1 and continued that proud tradition into this one...

Was it just me or did anyone else just want Peter to slap Mary Jane about 20 minutes into the film? "Tell me you love", "Tell me I was good"...and then being jealous of Spider Man's fame...I'd kick that wacky toothed woman to the curb...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Jthig, you're way off on the first two Spidey movies... the first one is good, but the second is one of the great blockbuster movies of the 21st century..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Jthig, you're way off on the first two Spidey movies... the first one is good, but the second is one of the great blockbuster movies of the 21st century..
Shocking, really, that we disagree on a movie.

Spiderman 2 was horrific, imo.

The whole franchise was doomed from the start with the cheesiness they chose to use, and the horrible casting of the two main characters.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-04-2007 at 05:56 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I'd kick that wacky toothed woman to the curb...
That's what I'm saying.

No matter how good Raimi's flicks are - it's nothing like they would've been, could've been, with a better cast.

Kirsten Dunst mavericks every film she's in.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

how could you not love someone who has dallas howard in their name?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

U2, that's how i felt. I honestly don't think the producers did research on how well liked Venom is. First of all, Venom and The Joker are probably the most well-known comic book villans ever, and you don't use him not nearly as good as you should've. And the more i thought about, the more furious i got.

On a side note-- i saw this movie an unprecedented 3 times in a 24hr span, and i had good reasons for all 3 times. The movie was still entertaining, and i'll still end up buying it once it comes out. It's just not as good as it should've been if the original thought was to end the series at 3.

~The Salesman
Old 05-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

As a representative from the "general public" I want to say that I loved this film. Saw it at 9:30 this morning on iMax. As usual, the movie looked and sounded amazing.

Many people complain about the cheesiness, but I love it. It shows that they didn't forget that this is a comic book. Its not a graphic novel, or whatever the adult term is. It was, first and foremost, a comic book for kids. I love how this trilogy has stayed true to that feel. I will agree some of the acting was not always the best, but I think it fit the film. I mean cmon, there are some scenes where you could just tell the cast and crew were having so much fun with it, and I love that.

I never read comics growing up, so I didn't have much of an expectation except what I had seen in the previous two movies, and based on that, it delivered full force. IMHO, I'm going with 8.5/10.

Last edited by DavidDaMonkey; 05-06-2007 at 12:47 PM.
DavidDaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Spiderman 2 was freaking awesome. This one was pretty good.. I agree that Venom deserved his own movie though.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw this.

I'm speechless. What a complete abortion of a movie.

I don't know anything about the comic books, it's not about that.

It was just a complete abortion. It was a string of half baked plots all crammed together in a messy fashion. the first half was good, and then it just went downhill and spiraled out of control, eventually reaching a crescendo of non-resolution and confusion.

What exactly was the plot of this movie?

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-07-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Watched it last Saturday. And my thoughs on it are identical to Flacolaco's.

Trying to cram so many characters and storylines into a 2.5 hour movie was a mistake. Non of those were well developed.

It's like going to a chinese buffet and trying to fit all the good stuff on your plate on the first trip.

Last edited by TripleDipping; 05-07-2007 at 12:56 PM.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #20
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

It was ok. Better than most "part 3's". Still good enough to watch in the theater. Without the goblin, this would have been a lot better.

And it still bugs me when real people turn into cartoons so they can have a cool fight (or fly around the air on their webs). Maybe someday that transition will be truly seemless. But not yet.

And somebody up there was right - Peter Parker as the bad mofo was just bad comedy (chalk it up to the Raimis?)

Spiderman 2 is still the best of the series. I can't believe that they could top DocOc
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #21
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

And much like the Chinese buffet, it made me sick to my stomach at the end.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #22
TruthbHeard

TruthbHeard is infamous around these parts

I enjoy watching Spiderman cuz he was a childhood hero, but they SCREWED UP THE COOLEST BAD GUY!! Venom only gets like 10 min of airtime, and his action scene is very short lived. Big time dissapointment, the movie was good tho overall
TruthbHeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
U2, that's how i felt. I honestly don't think the producers did research on how well liked Venom is. First of all, Venom and The Joker are probably the most well-known comic book villans ever, and you don't use him not nearly as good as you should've. And the more i thought about, the more furious i got.

On a side note-- i saw this movie an unprecedented 3 times in a 24hr span, and i had good reasons for all 3 times. The movie was still entertaining, and i'll still end up buying it once it comes out. It's just not as good as it should've been if the original thought was to end the series at 3.
lex luthor would disagree. Its fairly obvious who the comic book guys are on this site. Venom is more well liked than luthor(maybe) but NO ONE from a spiderman comic is going to be more well known than lex luthor sheerly because more people know supes than spidey. (i havent seen the movie yet, im not watching it while im in huntsville on principle. Who the hell doesnt take debit cards? we are in 2007 and you are still cash only???? To hell with you cinema 12 of huntsville texas, ill watch it for 2 bucks when im back in corsicana after finals) Because of the last comment im not talking about this movie just yet, im talking about comics in general, though i do agree about the joker. he is probably simultaneously the most well liked and well known villain ever.

My personal favorite villain ever was probably omega red or onslaught from xmen. Speakin of which, we need omega red in the movie if they do a 4th. Moving along, as to the spidey 1 and 2 commentary, i loved 1 and 2 both. Molina gave by far the best performance of the series(and possibly in any comic book movie thus far) as doc oc and it pains me to see so many of you completely ignoring that in your trampling criticisms of that movie. Dunst was horribly miscast though.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I was literally just flat out uncomfortable sitting in my seat. Especially during the dancing part, and the end. I didn't want to look at the screen. Physical discomfort! I was embarrassed for them.

Oh and riddle me this, as long as Im here.... Why does his mask have to come off EVERY TIME he's in a fight. His effing mask was always off. Or it had a big hole in it. Is this some ego trip and it's in his contract? Or did Raimi think it was cool? While he's spiderman....he needs to keep the damned mask on IMO.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

flaco, i think it's so that maguire can get more face time. but i HATE that his mask always comes off. in the comics, spidey went FOREVER without ANYONE knowing his identity. that was an issue i had with #2 as well.

so i saw it today. if i had a nickel for every time i rolled my eyes, i'd be a very rich man. the highlight (make that lowlight) were the "peter is a bad duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude" scenes. ridiculous. the "shooter" fingers were only funny in Happy Gilmore.

and i said this in one of the threads with the preview... why was the symbiote just a suit that he could lock away in a chest? one of the coolest things about it was that it could form to look like any clothing, and peter never took it off until the bell tower. i don't think the movie really got across that this thing had bonded with peter. sure, doc connors mentioned it in passing, and he had a little trouble getting it off, but it didn't seem that tough.

personally, i didn't hate how they portrayed venom. thought the voice could have been a little deeper, but i liked grace as brock/venom. but i agree that he got waaaaaaaaaaay too little screen time. i will say that i liked the poles in the ground scene (making all the ringing). i guess venom will be back.

i thought it was ridiculous that they made sandman peter's uncle's killer. fabricated emotion.

too much time spent on harry. just so much filler crap that could have been devoted to venom. oh! let's watch aunt may make tea! look! harry can make an omelet!

the one good thing? bryce dallas howard. i had no idea she could look that good.

i would have to say that this movie rated a solid 8.5 on the disapointment scale (with 10 being the most disappointing).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-09-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
and i said this in one of the threads with the preview... why was the symbiote just a suit that he could lock away in a chest? one of the coolest things about it was that it could form to look like any clothing, and peter never took it off until the bell tower. i don't think the movie really got across that this thing had bonded with peter. sure, doc connors mentioned it in passing, and he had a little trouble getting it off, but it didn't seem that tough.

I chose to think that the symbiote bonded in the sense that even though he had it locked it, he couldn't bring himself to get rid of it. Or something.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Booooooooooooo..... why did Spidey have to become disco stu meets vincent chase?

WEAK SAUZZ.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-09-2007 at 11:05 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I just saw this.

I'm speechless. What a complete abortion of a movie.

I don't know anything about the comic books, it's not about that.

It was just a complete abortion. It was a string of half baked plots all crammed together in a messy fashion. the first half was good, and then it just went downhill and spiraled out of control, eventually reaching a crescendo of non-resolution and confusion.

What exactly was the plot of this movie?
I was wondering how that long drawn out mess would be resolved. I hoped for the best and MAN WAS I DISAPPOINTED!

Terrible everything. Venom was done half-assed, Sandman was cool but the stretch to make his Uncle Ben's killer was too much, and to have a Green Goblin HELPING Spiderman?

Horrible.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

What a shame. I was looking forward to this one too.

Oh well, still have Pirates, the Simpsons movie, harry potter, shrek, oceans 13, new die hard, transformers.... there's bound to be a couple of good ones in there somewhere.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #30
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I think the movie made it look like he could take it off when he had control of his emotions, and couldn't take it off when he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan

lex luthor would disagree. Its fairly obvious who the comic book guys are on this site. Venom is more well liked than luthor(maybe) but NO ONE from a spiderman comic is going to be more well known than lex luthor sheerly because more people know supes than spidey. (i havent seen the movie yet, im not watching it while im in huntsville on principle. Who the hell doesnt take debit cards? we are in 2007 and you are still cash only???? To hell with you cinema 12 of huntsville texas, ill watch it for 2 bucks when im back in corsicana after finals) Because of the last comment im not talking about this movie just yet, im talking about comics in general, though i do agree about the joker. he is probably simultaneously the most well liked and well known villain ever.
I am more than aware of who Lex Luthor is. I didn't think about him, but he's up there with Joker and Venom. The point i was trying to get across was when you think Batman, you immediately think Joker, same with Spiderman and Venom.

Quote:
Oh well, still have Pirates, the Simpsons movie, harry potter, shrek, oceans 13, new die hard, transformers.... there's bound to be a couple of good ones in there somewhere.
I was a little iffy on SM3 last september when i read an article saying they had to do reshoots to add in more action scenes b/c a test audience they showed it to said it was too boring.

As far as other movies go this summer, Pirates, FF2, The Bourne Ultimatum, and the new Die Hard are on my must see list. Some people on this didn't like the 2nd Pirates, but imo, it was better and more entertaining than any three of the Spiderman movies. Same with the Bourne's.

~The Salesman
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What a shame. I was looking forward to this one too.

Thank you for reminding me of the one thing i REALLY liked about going to see this movie - the PREVIEWS.

Pirates 3 looked great (i liked #2 as well, just not as much as #1), but Harry Potter looked AMAZING. My brain was going crazy with all the quick flashes, like "they put that in, and that, and that!". I think it's going to be a great movie, looks intense. but i don't want to make this a harry potter thread, so...

OH! just remembered a scene that got the hugest eye-roll from me. when harry's butler told him about his dad. "I cleaned his wound. It was from his own blade. He dies from his own hands." HORRIBLE acting, and such a ridiculously forced scene. everyone freakin' mailed this thing in, except for grace, church, and howard. The main actors and the director certainly mailed it in.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #32
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

With the constant uncertainty on whether or not Tobey Maguire will return for a fourth Spider-Man film, website Cinema Blend is reporting from a "reliable, proven, inside source" that The Lookout's Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in contention as a possible replacement for Maguire if he decides not to return as the web-slinging hero.

Spider-Man producers have been quoted as saying they would continue with the franchise with or without Maguire and have approached original Spider-Man writer David Koepp to pen a script for a possible fourth outing.

In addition to his critically acclaimed role in The Lookout, Gordon-Levitt is probably best known for his role on the long-running NBC hit 3rd Rock from the Sun.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

just watched it last night. Are you effing kidding me??? It was so pathetic. The peter is a badass scenes as bbl called them were hilarious but not because they meant to be. That was just sad. I thought T.M. did a good job in the first 2 but he was horrible in this one and has been mentioned before what the hell was up with him having no mask??? Venom was cool and topher grace did a suprisingly good job but come on this was a pathetic movie. Spiderman had been the best of the comic book movie series but this movie was even worse than x3. Well maybe not worse but just as bad.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It was pretty good. There were definitely some eye rolling moments and some very mediocre directing.... However, some of you just want to be critics too badly if you can't go to a movie such as Spider-Man 3 and be entertained.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Trust me when I say.... that movie sucked.

signed,

u2 Ebert

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-21-2007 at 11:30 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #36
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
It was pretty good. There were definitely some eye rolling moments and some very mediocre directing.... However, some of you just want to be critics too badly if you can't go to a movie such as Spider-Man 3 and be entertained.

A lot of the times i feel people here over-criticize a movie. And i certainly thought it was entertaining. But it wasn't as good as it should've been.

~The Salesman
Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #37
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i think my problem is with toby maguire. hes just a panzy..and a bad actor..
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #38
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Trust me when I say.... that movie sucked.

signed,

u2 Ebert

lol, i read the 2nd post on this thread a few minutes ago again...hahaah..and now this post...haaha..im glad i have no wasted 10 bucks X 2 for the wife...haha
Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #39
MavsX
Diamond Member

are they going to do a movie of just wolverine? anybody?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #40
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
are they going to do a movie of just wolverine? anybody?

Yes. And from what i read, it's going to be a prequel to him before X-Men. It's set to come out sometime next year.

~The Salesman

Last edited by Nash13; 05-21-2007 at 02:11 PM.