Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mary's Showtime Series Marathon

So, I didn't have a whole lot of SPPOORRRRTTSSSS to worry about this weekend, I tried taking my mind off of the playoffs by checking out some new tv.

I recently added Showtime to my cable package, for the sole reason of viewing some of their new series.

Last night I finished a full season of Dexter. I started out with that one just because of Michael C. Hall. I thought he was the best actor from SFU (and a hottie!).

Dexter is the story of a forensic scientist that is also a serial killer. He channels his urges by hunting down bad guys. The premise itself is not that interesting, but the execution was pretty damn good television. Its a good mixture of suspense and dark comedy.

Of all the current pop-culture anti-heroes that I'm famiiar with (Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, etc.), Dexter is by far the most likeable and sympathetic - which, considering his body count, is ironic.

I've also got my eyes on Weeds and The Tudors. I don't know anything about them, but so far I'm impressed with what Showtime is putting out there.

Anybody else watching?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-06-2007 at 12:49 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Dexter had some cheesy moments, and it felt too much like a cartoon or a comic book at times, but overall, it was pretty damn good. Definitely one of the more refreshing series to come to television in a while.

Showtime is still far behind HBO, but it's starting to put some interesting stuff together, which is cool.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Frank_Wang

Frank_Wang is on a distinguished road

I like show The Tudors!
Frank_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

NOTHING touches Entourage - get HBO Mary.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-17-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

'Weeds' is too cartoonishly over the top now - they kinda jumped the shark with the tunnel to Mexico and the show hasn't recovered since. Not much of a comedy anymore. Kinda reminds me of the movie 'Blow' - it was entertaining when it was about pot, but started to suck when it moved on to bigger things...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-17-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
'Weeds' is too cartoonishly over the top now - they kinda jumped the shark with the tunnel to Mexico and the show hasn't recovered since. Not much of a comedy anymore. Kinda reminds me of the movie 'Blow' - it was entertaining when it was about pot, but started to suck when it moved on to bigger things...
I thought blow was a great movie..........plus with a name like "blow" did you expect them just to smoke pot?

Weeds was great the first couple seasons but has gotten progressively worse since. These last two seasons have been terrible. I've officially quit on the show.

Dexter is one of the best shows on TV. This last season was amazing.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
I thought blow was a great movie..........plus with a name like "blow" did you expect them just to smoke pot?
Actually, I was hoping it had more to do with Penelope Cruz's mouth!

[rimshot]

But, yeah - Weeds has definitely hit a wall for me...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Mary Louise Parker would hit my wall.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
I wish Mary Louise Parker would hit my wall.
I dont even get this completely but +1.
Parker is hot in that show, epically when it first started. "milf weed"

BEAT LA
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Dexter is right behind Lost as best show on TV.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Dexter is right behind Lost as best show on TV.
This is probably blasphemy around these parts, but I enjoy it more. Lost gets a bit too sci-fi for me sometimes.
Dexter and Lost are 1 and 2.

BEAT LA
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I love Dexter and the Season Finale was......amazing. I'm still in shock. But I wouldn't consider it a great TV show. Its entertaining which is a shows job but the writing is decent. The acting is decent. Every episode is the same. Dexter works at police station. Looks for someone to kill. Trys to befriend a psyscho(Jamie Murray's character, Jon Lovitz character, etc.). Argue and make up with Rita. Every episode has become the same. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the show but best show on TV? Hardly. I wouldn't even consider it the best show on Showtime.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Jon Lovitz has ever been on Dexter....but that would be hysterical.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I love Dexter and the Season Finale was......amazing. I'm still in shock. But I wouldn't consider it a great TV show. Its entertaining which is a shows job but the writing is decent. The acting is decent. Every episode is the same. Dexter works at police station. Looks for someone to kill. Trys to befriend a psyscho(Jamie Murray's character, Jon Lovitz character, etc.). Argue and make up with Rita. Every episode has become the same. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the show but best show on TV? Hardly. I wouldn't even consider it the best show on Showtime.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. The acting "decent"? There's a reason Michael C. Hall is winning award after award. Not to mention Smits and now Lithgow were fantastic. Also, few shows would kill off Rita in the manner Dextrr did. Every episode is hardly the same. This season Dexter barely even killed anyone, and he killed an innocent man.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The shows Secret Diary and La La Land are decent as well. La La Land is an Ali G rip off but still has some laugh.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I couldn't possibly disagree more. The acting "decent"? There's a reason Michael C. Hall is winning award after award. Not to mention Smits and now Lithgow were fantastic. Also, few shows would kill off Rita in the manner Dextrr did. Every episode is hardly the same. This season Dexter barely even killed anyone, and he killed an innocent man.
No Michael C Hall is a great actor. His acting is good. The acting around him I don't feel is. I mean its decent. Its nothing great. You usually get great acting from Michael C Hall and with Jimmy Smits last year and Lithgow this year but that's about it. I like Dexter. I just don't think its a great show. Entertaining? Yes. Great? I disagree. I consider The Wire one of the greatest shows to ever air on TV. It makes Dexter look like a after school special.

I love the show. I've been watching since episode 1. I just feel if you look at the grand scheme of things the show is very repititive. Its good enough to stay entertaining but I'd hardly call it great writing. BTW, since we're putting so much into award shows how many times has Dexter's actors(aside from Michael C Hall) have been nominated for any award? How many times has the writers of the show been nominated? How many times has the show itself been nominated for anything?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

Award shows mean nothing.

The Wire was snubbed by the Emmies for its entire run. The writers were nominated twice....and that's it. It didn't make it any less of a show.

ETA: BTW, Dexter was nominated for Outstanding Drama last two years, and both Smits and Hall were nominated.

Last edited by mary; 02-19-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

mary, this is an attack on people like me, that cannot afford premium movie channels . I called Washington, and they recommended we take an ass load of money from hard working people, then divert it toward something stupid and unnecessary, like my family having Showtime.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
mary, this is an attack on people like me, that cannot afford premium movie channels . I called Washington, and they recommended we take an ass load of money from hard working people, then divert it toward something stupid and unnecessary, like my family having Showtime.
That's why the good Lord created DVD's. Now I had to endure rain to see the latest season of Dexter but I will be in line to purchase it once available.

Or can't you netflix those? That's a good idea too.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, probably.

I think netflixing a disk of Firefly at a time was how I first saw that.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
lol I actually think the writing is the best part of the show.

BEAT LA
Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
CadBane
Banned

I agree the acting is "meh" outside of Michael C. Hall and the guest villain...but hey, that's like 75% of the show! And Michael, Smits & Lithgow have all been flat out amazing. Mazuka is good too. Deb is annoying, but that's her role. Angel & La Guerta can't act too well. Rita always vexed me.

The writing is very good for the most part, very good.

Maybe it's just not your thing.

I appreciated "The Wire" and have friends that worship it. I never was that impressed by it. Different strokes for different folks Willis.