Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let July 1st Begin!

From Tim Cowlishaw: DMN

Free (agent) way is Mavs' road back

07:54 PM CDT on Saturday, June 30, 2007

A year ago, the Mavericks thought they were adding small pieces to a puzzle that was nearly complete. But out of Anthony Johnson, Greg Buckner, Austin Croshere and Devean George, only George delivered what the team hoped for.

Free agency is more important to the Mavericks now than it was a year ago. This team is not two wins away from an NBA title. It was 14 wins shy this year.

The West is getting even better. It's time for the Mavericks to get tougher.

Here is my list of 10 free agents Dallas should be looking at, starting today:

1. Matt Barnes, Golden State

Defense. Attitude. A really creepy number of tattoos crawling up his neck.

Barnes was one of the key reasons the Warriors upset the Mavericks in the playoffs. When Stephen Jackson needed a break, Barnes guarded Dirk Nowitzki just as effectively. He delivered big shots, too.

Barnes averaged 11.1 points and 5.7 rebounds per game, mostly coming off the bench, in the playoffs. He has had a strange career, somehow playing for five teams in four years. He made just $744,000 last year.

Barnes is the kind of athletic, tough guy the Mavericks could really use. And he has 3-point range, too.

2. Chauncey Billups, Detroit

I don't know how in the world you get Billups away from the Pistons. But if there is even a 1 percent chance of doing a sign-and-trade for the Pistons' point guard and true leader, the Mavericks have to do it. For some reason, this guy made only $6.3 million last year. The Mavericks' mid-level exception will probably be a little under $6 million.

I don't know. Just find a way.

3. Gerald Wallace, Charlotte

The Bobcats' shooting guard made $5.5 million last year. He's expendable now that they have Jason Richardson. No one outside the Charlotte city limits has seen Wallace play the last couple of seasons, but he averaged 18 points a game and made half his shots last year. A good player.

4. P.J. Brown, Chicago

Nearing the end of his career, Brown would be a nice fit coming off the bench to offer a physical presence inside. With Nowitzki and Nick Fazekas, the Mavericks have plenty of big skill. They need big toughness. Brown showed in limited playoff time with the Bulls he still has it. He made $8.5 million last year but has to know he is nearing the end.

5. Mo Peterson, Toronto

This guy spent too much time tucked away on Toronto's bench last year, and his scoring fell just about in half, down to nine points a game.

An athletic guard-forward, Peterson turns 30 this summer, so I have to think he has something left.

6. Desmond Mason, New Orleans

Going local – Oklahoma State by way of Waxahachie. Mason is a 14 points-per-game guy who probably isn't worth the $8 million he made a year ago. Put him in Dallas at a little under $6 million, and the Mavericks crank up the offense even more.

7. Mikki Moore, New Jersey

I'm a little leery of a grown man who goes by Mikki, but he's fully grown at 7 feet and he showed how scrappy he is during the Nets' playoff run. He averaged 11.3 points and 5.6 rebounds in the postseason and has an interesting set of skills for a big man. He made $1.07 million last year.

8. Luke Walton, LA Lakers

It's hard to average 11 points for the Lakers with Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom jacking up about 50 shots a night, but Walton is a versatile player and a good passer, if not the greatest athlete in the league. I can see him getting significant bench minutes and being an upgrade over Croshere. Made $1.375 million last season.

9. Slava Medvedenko, Atlanta

I'm kidding. I just wanted to see if you were still reading.

10. James Posey, Miami

Did a nice job on Dirk in the '06 Finals. Does kind of a nice, solid job every night for the Heat, getting his 7.7 points and five rebounds and delivering solid defense. Made $6.39 million. Maybe just having him around in practice would remind the Mavericks how close they were to the promised land 12 months ago.

A couple of these guys can help them find their way back.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...w.26ebe53.html
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For some reason, this guy made only $6.3 million last year. The Mavericks' mid-level exception will probably be a little under $6 million.

I don't know. Just find a way.
This is why I don't read Colishaw.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

1. Matt Barnes, Golden State-- just say no. He's a horrible spare that rebounded because there were so many rebounds and so many long rebounds. He looked good defensively because he hustled and nothing else. He scored because he could shoot any shot he wanted and the middle was wide open. The guy wouldnt give us anything here other than a headache.

2. Chauncey Billups, Detroit- He is staying in Detroit but would be a nice pickup, just like Garnett would be a good backup to Dirk. He's just too expensive.

3. Gerald Wallace, Charlotte-- great fit. Athletic, and does everything decently. No one thinks he is a shooting guard though. He's a forward to the core and he is a second Howard but with more muscle and less reliability from three.

4. P.J. Brown, Chicago- Solid player. Definitely worth a look. He can 4/5 but not a whole lot of room for him. SnT/LLE or part of the MLE.

5. Mo Peterson, Toronto- the guy is a great fit here. He busts his ass. He is a pure SG with size at 6'7". He can drive, he can shoot, he can keep defenses honest and most importantly he has good speed and size at the 2 position.

6. Desmond Mason, New Orleans-- not the shooter I want. He's got decent height at 6'5". I'd put him second to MoPete because he isnt as good at defense, rebounding, etc

7. Mikki Moore, New Jersey- poor rebounder, pure hussle player. If he inserts himself between Diop and DJ M'Benga is he really worth a signing as a 3a string player?

8. Luke Walton, LA Lakers- terrible fit here. Just horrible.

9. Slava Medvedenko, Atlanta- no

10. James Posey, Miami- way more of a small forward. He's slow but a decent rebounder and defender. I dont know, he's worth a look.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-30-2007 at 08:52 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Matt Barnes should be the man. He's the modern Dough Christie. It's not often you find a blend of hard-nosed hustle defense AT SEVERAL POSITIONS and an uncanny ability to hit clutch outside shots. Plus, now he has some veteran and playoff seasoning.

He's getting ready to hit his stride, and he would be an invaluable asset to this Mavericks team, given the style they play. I actually give him MORE credit for his season last year given that he played on a Golden State team that is not the best fit for his talents. He would thrive here in Dallas.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently developed a festering hate in the pit of my soul for Barnes, so it would be kinda tough to cheer for him now.

Are we really trying to sign this guy?
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
just like Garnett would be a good backup to Dirk.
Huh.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Chum don't the Warriors have to resign Barnes now that they've traded Richardson?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Chum don't the Warriors have to resign Barnes now that they've traded Richardson?
It would certainly seem so.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Huh.
I mean Paul Pierce would be a good backup to Howard too. And Kobe could start at SG and Ray Allen could back him up you know.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
I mean Paul Pierce would be a good backup to Howard too. And Kobe could start at SG and Ray Allen could back him up you know.
When Garnett arrives in Dallas, he will play alongside Dirk in the starting lineup, not as his backup.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I just think its ridiculous to talk about adding all these superstars like Billups. Garnett if he comes will take most of our depth to acquire so the team will be devoted to the two stars.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
I just think its ridiculous to talk about adding all these superstars like Billups. Garnett if he comes will take most of our depth to acquire so the team will be devoted to the two stars.
I'm not so sure about that. It may not take as much of our depth as you think.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
You would certainly think so. However, something tells me the Warriors are working on some (more) big moves, so you never know how it might all pan out.

I'm not sure how the Warriors would react if they happened to be faced with full MLE offers for both Barnes and Pietrus. I guess they would still want both...but you never know.

Dirka, why do you hate Barnes? I can understand why you would hate the Warriors, but to me, Barnes stood out as being not like the rest of the team. He didn't seem to be part of the "inner circle," if you know what I mean.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
When Garnett arrives in Dallas, he will play alongside Dirk in the starting lineup, not as his backup.
You are getting pretty convinced, aren't you?

I admit that I'm starting to see it as a real possibility, too. You know what the funny thing is? The funny thing is that if KG does come here, AJ is going to have to step outside his Popovich mold and be willing to be creative when it comes to gameplans. Boy, don't you know Nellie would have loved to have coached those two together?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You would certainly think so. However, something tells me the Warriors are working on some (more) big moves, so you never know how it might all pan out.
It feels that way, doesn't it? And with Nellie in the mix (Mullin said the other night that he's not even in Maui right now!), you know some stuff is bound to happen.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
You are getting pretty convinced, aren't you?

I admit that I'm starting to see it as a real possibility, too. You know what the funny thing is? The funny thing is that if KG does come here, AJ is going to have to step outside his Popovich mold and be willing to be creative when it comes to gameplans. Boy, don't you know Nellie would have loved to have coached those two together?
I go back and forth. The LMF folks are starting to really convince me. I think he either comes to Dallas or stays in Minnesota. I think Phoenix has dropped out of the running.

If Garnett is here, he'll start at center and possibly some at small forward, depending upon matchups. Unless we're playing a team with a huge center, I think he fits at center just fine.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

LMF or DB.com? Lot's of stuff on DB.com but I dont' see much on LMF.

Nevermind...I see the links.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-30-2007 at 10:01 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
LMF or DB.com? Lot's of stuff on DB.com but I dont' see much on LMF.
I've been reading more at LMF lately because of the clutter at DB.com.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Warriors will trade with Milwaukee to get the chinese dude. And suddenly Nellie will have the 2002-2003 Mavs
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I've been reading more at LMF lately because of the clutter at DB.com.
I finally watched the video that V posted on LMF. WOW, that was a hell of an interview! My goodness, I would love to have that guy's drive and passion on our team.

You know, I think about the relationship that Avery had with 5-0. To hear the stories, AJ really got the best out of that guy. I can easily envision KG and AJ having a similar relationship. I hear KG in that interview saying he would run through a wall for Flip. I bet he would take on an army singlehandedly for AJ!

Last edited by chumdawg; 06-30-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #21
you

you is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I finally watched the video that V posted on LMF. WOW, that was a hell of an interview! My goodness, I would love to have that guy's drive and passion on our team.

You know, I think about the relationship that Avery had with 5-0. To hear the stories, AJ really got the best out of that guy. I can easily envision KG and AJ having a similar relationship. I hear KG in that interview saying he would run through a wall for Flip. I bet he would take on an army singlehandedly for AJ!

Garnett would also be a huge draw for free agents. If Garnett is dealt to Dallas, I see no problem in convincing other veterans to join he and Dirk in the plight for a championship.

If Garnett joins Dirk, Diop, Damp, Terry, Stack, I think that its safe to say that we could expect the MLE to acquire a player that would be worth more anywhere else.
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

that's also a pretty valid point, about enticing other free agents.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

Evidently KG is tight with Billups. Could you imagine?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #24
you

you is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
that's also a pretty valid point, about enticing other free agents.
Garnett has developed alot of sympathy throughout the league, and other guys know that he can get the job done. Especially when paired with the reigning league MVP and a solid young coach.

Garnett in Dallas could mean that the Mavs take their pick among the players in the MLE+ range.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #25
you

Quote:
Evidently KG is tight with Billups. Could you imagine?
Would that team ever lose? Billups, Jet, ?, Dirk, Garnett.

That's like the superPistons.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:28 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

I think it would be Billups, Jet, KG/Dirk/Damp.

WOW!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #27
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirka, why do you hate Barnes? I can understand why you would hate the Warriors, but to me, Barnes stood out as being not like the rest of the team. He didn't seem to be part of the "inner circle," if you know what I mean.
Yeah I do know what you mean, but I felt he was just like the others. He shot threes and cussed up a storm every time a foul was called on him.

I could get over him being on our team eventually, but it would be tough at first.

The only one that stood out to me was Biedrins, and that only because he's foreign.
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #28
you

Quote:
I think it would be Billups, Jet, KG/Dirk/Damp.

WOW!

Dirk/KG pick n rolls.

Have two bigs ever dominated the league with pick n rolls? These two could do it.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #29
Mavs46

Mavs46 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sorry, what's the link for LMF?
Mavs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #30
you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs46
just google "lone mavs fan forum".

They have some excellent b-ball talk over there.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 PM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Yeah I do know what you mean, but I felt he was just like the others. He shot threes and cussed up a storm every time a foul was called on him.

I could get over him being on our team eventually, but it would be tough at first.

The only one that stood out to me was Biedrins, and that only because he's foreign.
I understand, but I think you are being too tough on him. I would have to go back and look at the boxscores, but my impression was that he did NOT shoot mindless threes like some of their other guys. About the cussing thing, I never noticed that, but I will also say that it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I'm not in the camp that says we need a bunch of choirboys here in order to like the team.

The things that stand out to me about Barnes in that playoff series:

1) He actually guarded Dirk Nowitzki. Let me repeat that: He actually guarded Dirk Nowitzki. And at other times he guarded our threes, twos, and sometimes even ones. This is amazing flexibility on defense. It's damn near T-Mac-like or Bowen-like. And the Mavs, given the sometimes awkward sets we employ thanks to the defensive weaknesses of a Dirk or Terry, could VERY much use this sort of flexibility.

2) Barnes was never involved in those emotional outbursts the Warriors were prone to. At times it got to be where one guy was going crazy and a few other guys were right there to back him up. For the most part, it looked like Barnes stayed out of those frays entirely. Maybe he got involved once or twice to try to settle things down, but even at that, I seem to recall him just simply staying away. In other words, I am convinced that Barnes didn't "punk us up" in that series.

3) That clutch shot he made near the end of Game Five, I think it was. Somewhere around a 19-foot jumper. He showed great judgment in not taking the open three but instead maneuvering to get off a higher percentage jumper. And he didn't seem to flinch. When you are on a team with Baron Davis--particularly the Baron Davis of last year's playoffs--Jason Richardson, Steven Jackson, and Al Harrington, and you still have the nuts to take that shot and bury it, it says a lot to me. (You will note that Ellis seemed to shrink for much of the series.)

4) Rebounding. Again, I would have to look at some box scores again, but my impression was that Barnes was in there rebounding like a forward, even when he was defending guards.

5) I just love his all-around game. I watch him play, and I think: Basketball IQ. I think the guy understands the game very well, and I think his physical abilities allow him to impact the game in several ways.

Now, he is certainly NOT a perfect player by any means. For example, he looked pretty close to terrible on the break on several occasions in that Dallas series. His jumper is inconsistent. But I see him being more of a dirty-work kind of guy who you don't depend on for those things. I would best describe his game at this point as a mixture of Bruce Bowen and Doug Christie. If he can refine his three-popint shot to the level Bowen has, he will be a VERY valuable asset to whatever team enjoys his services.

Lastly, I am not AT ALL bothered by the fact that he has bounced around the league a bit. To me, last year proved that he has arrived, and I don't think the GS system had a thing to do with it. As I have mentioned upthread, I see him being even more valuable for a half-court sort of team.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs46
Here's the link to the video V posted of John Thompson interviewing Garnett. It's ten minutes long, but trust me, watch it. The second half is absolutely riveting. Wanna see a grown man cry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-f7EeDpYI

Link to LMF:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/lmf

Last edited by chumdawg; 06-30-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #33
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

you guys are wishful thinking....my god. I agree it would be sweet...but still a pipe dream.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #34
BGMaverick9
Guru

That video bumped KG up a notch or two in my book. That's gotta be a pre-req for everyone to see if they're on the fence about KG. It will put you over the top. Like I mentioned: Bilas said it during the draft, "You'd rather have someone who hates losing over loving to win."

KG said it himself that he hates losing, and he's had his fair share of it. It's worn on him, and probably took a chunk of his prime ability away from him. He hasn't had a Robin...hell even a decent Alfred going with him for a while.

If you had Damp, Dirk, Stack, Terry/Harris...you've got a more than capable group, KG would eat it up.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #35
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

give me gerald wallace...unleash the beast! There is no need for him to score...his job is getting boards and hustle
Old 07-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

that video didnt change my mind on him. He is a wierdo who never matured emotionally. He plays head games.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #37
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Posted on Sun, Jul. 01, 2007
Mavericks will be dreamers, not spenders in free agency

By GIL LeBRETON
Star-Telegram staff writer

Be careful how you spend the Mavericks owner's money.

True, Mark Cuban has gigabytes and gigabytes of it, though he clearly doesn't intend to ever pay Don Nelson another nickel.

Cuban may have the green, but with NBA free agency officially beginning Saturday night, the Mavericks are among the have-nots.

Not enough salary cap money. Cuban's generosity, of all things, is about to bite the team where it hurts most.

Stranger things have happened in the NBA, of course. Shawn Bradley somehow managed to get traded twice.

But forget the sexy names that are being propped up lately on NBA street corners.

Kobe Bryant? The Lakers are going to want somebody's entire starting lineup in return.

Kevin Garnett? The salary cap trade-off would empty the Mavs' locker room.

Vince Carter? Is it legal to ask him to take a 60 percent pay cut?

The Mavericks' hands, the ones that have always been blessed to reach into Cuban's pockets, are tied. They own the NBA's second-highest payroll, around $79 million, second only to the New York Knicks.

But little, if any, of it is what bankers would call liquid funds. The most painful check that Cuban will have to write is the $18,593,750 that goes to Michael Finley of the league champion San Antonio Spurs.

Cuban's generosity is legendary. He even had a TV show, where he gave some stranger $1 million if the guy promised his family would watch. Or something like that.

The owner owes Erick Dampier $47,337,000 of a seven-year, $73 million contract. Jason Terry, the point guard who everyone suddenly thinks isn't a point guard, is only one year into a six-year, $57 million deal that was signed in the afterglow of reaching the 2006 NBA Finals.

Add it all up -- Greg Buckner's $3.5 million, D.J. MBenga's $1.8 million, etc. -- and with the free-agent windows officially opened for shopping, the Mavericks are destined to be more dreamers than spenders.

The first order of business should be Jerry Stackhouse. Yes, he needs to drive to the basket more often. And coach Avery Johnson reportedly was as flustered as anyone about Stackhouse after the Finals flame-out against Miami.

But Stackhouse, a free agent, has been a positive presence in the locker room during his three seasons in Texas. In his sixth-man role, he's been a valuable contributor more times than not.

Because Stackhouse falls under the Larry Bird rule, the Mavericks have some salary cap wiggle room to sign him. They should, and Mavericks fans should reward his loyalty with applause next season.

The only other big free-agent check that the Mavs can write is expected to be one for the salary cap's mid-level exception. The expected $6 million largesse likely won't be enough, alas, to lure Chauncey Billups, Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis.

Is a $6 million role player going to be the one who helps get this 67-win team back into the NBA Finals? That's the list from which the Mavericks will be shopping.

In the dismay and tempest that followed the first-round loss to Golden State, the knee-jerk chant by fans was for Cuban, Johnson and GM Donnie Nelson to do something dramatic. Trade Dirk Nowitzki, even.

As team after team, however, dropped from the NBA playoffs, from the Suns to the Jazz to the Pistons and eventually to the Cavaliers, we were reminded that most teams have holes to fill and expectations that aren't always met.

This is not the time of the year for Cuban or Donnie Nelson to be emotional. Letting your emotions dictate your business decisions can lead to silly things, things such as letting Steve Nash go because you were worried about his durability and his inability to guard Mike Bibby.

This is still a good team, a playoff team, a team during the regular season that finished ahead of the eventual NBA champions.

It's time for the Mavericks to find out whether Devin Harris is an NBA point guard, and it sounds as if they intend to do that. Johnson has also asked center DeSagana Diop to spend the summer working on his offense. The Mavericks also will count on Dampier to be a better post player after coming off rotator cuff surgery.

There is not much more money to spend. No Kobes or KGs waiting at the airport. Just a well-paid team that won 67 games last season. And it owes the owner one.

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/154962.html

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #38
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Mavericks seek free-agent help
Outside shooter tops Mavs' wish list in free-agent shopping

01:12 AM CDT on Sunday, July 1, 2007

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

There have been years when the Mavericks targeted a free agent and went after him. The pursuit of Alonzo Mourning in 2003 comes to mind.

This free-agent season appears to be different. Yes, the Mavericks have favorites. Coach Avery Johnson said Saturday that their rankings are set. But they are willing to be patient and flexible.

But at the right time, expect them to make a run at the best shooter they can find and afford.

An outside gunner is a priority in the free-agent period, which opened at 11 p.m. Saturday.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who was in Miami with Mourning one minute after the period opened in 2003, is in the hospital recovering from hip-replacement surgery.

So rather than recruiting one player exclusively, the Mavericks are working the phones and calculating their options. They have a $6 million exception, which can be used on one player or split up for multiple players, as they did last year with Devean George and Greg Buckner.

They also have the issue of Jerry Stackhouse, who they can re-sign at any salary up to the maximum because he is their free agent.

"We're hopeful that something can get done sooner rather than later on that front," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

George and Austin Croshere also are free agents. They are expected to test the market before making any decisions.

AP
Chicago's P.J. Brown (right) is believed to be high on Dallas' free-agent wish list.

As for incoming free agents, there are a few that fit the mold for what the Mavs are seeking.

Matt Carroll is coming off a solid season with Charlotte and is a pure shooter. Ditto for Jason Kapono of Miami.

But the Mavericks also are in the market for a big man to back up Dirk Nowitzki, rather than placing all of that burden on rookie Nick Fazekas.

P.J. Brown is believed to be No. 1 on the Mavericks' list to fill that spot. But the 37-year-old Brown, who played well for Chicago last season, also is contemplating retirement.

Making a difference: Mavs coach Avery Johnson was the keynote speaker Saturday at the 17th annual North Texas Benefit Dinner and Auction for the Medina Children's Home, which provides a safe haven for single mothers and their children.

"A lot of the young ladies we get off the street with their babies, we can talk about some of the decisions they made and their problems, but we're here to be part of the solution," Johnson said.

Johnson's speech to more than 500 people at the Fairmont Hotel included vignettes about "how the lives of the children in Medina parallel my life. We got to continue to invest in their lives, just like a lot of men and women invested in my life when I was young."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.330d071.html#

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #39
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I say go for Wallace. Move Josh to the two. Make Terry and Stack the first guys off the bench. Count on more from Nick than you guys think. He is ready to back up Dirk THIS YEAR. We will have tons of depth and a tall defensive athletic lineup that will rule in the playoffs. If we have to do a sign and trade with Jet to do it, lets get it done. I agree with Alby, this will take the team to the next level.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.

Last edited by Mavs Rule; 07-01-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #40
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Cross Walton off of that list, he resigned with the Lakers today
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote