Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all
Default Mihm Looking For Mid Level

The Los Angeles Lakers are hoping to re-sign center Chris Mihm as well as a veteran guard.

However, Mihm's agent, Jeff Austin, told the Lakers his client is looking for the mid-level exception of $5.5 million, and the Lakers think that is too much to pay for Mihm, who missed all of last season recovering from right ankle surgery and still was paid his $4.2 million salary.

Also, the Lakers reached out to point guard Steve Blake of the Denver Nuggets, but were told he too was looking for the full mid-level, meaning he also may cost more than the Lakers are willing to spend.

-------------------------------

I wonder if Mihm is healthy but i would not mind having him at that price if he is healthy. He can give you some scorring inside.

---------------------------------------------

More Tuesday Rumors
--------------------------

GS President Robert Rowell said the team would have no problem spending the $10 million trade exception acquired in the Jason Richardson deal. As for entering luxury-tax territory, which is likely if Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett somehow lands in Oakland?

"I've always said this team will pay a tax if we're in a position to put a team out on the court that's going to compete at the highest level possible," Rowell said. "I'll also back up and say that in the history of who's won championships in this league, the San Antonio Spurs have won four championships and they've paid tax once. … So it's very doable."
--------------------------------

My take on GS, they have improved already and made a great move sending Richardson east. They drafted great and on paper, they should make the playoffs. You never know which GS comes to play. Getting Garnett, i put them in the mix with the top 3 in the west.

------------------------------------------

Matt Carroll
---------------

In the CHARLOTTE OBSERVER, Rick Bonnell writes "the San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers have all expressed interest in Charlotte Bobcats shooting guard Matt Carroll. Carroll confirmed those names in a brief interview Monday with the Observer. He said the Bobcats also called to express interest, and he was waiting for the team to make a formal proposal to his agent, Dan Fegan
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is rich. The mid-level for Mihm. Man that's funny.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

Mihm is good.. would be good for us if we could afford him.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Mihm brings nothing to the table that we don't already have.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

mihm is a bona fide spare.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

People learned from the Olowokandi mistake. Mihm unmistakably has Olowokandi syndrome.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

He's better offensively than anything we currently have at the 5 and besides, a spare is all we need as a backup 4 for Dirk... but the mid level? No way.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
He's better offensively than anything we currently have at the 5 and besides, a spare is all we need as a backup 4 for Dirk... but the mid level? No way.
There's more to offense than a set shot. Our offense runs much more effectively with Damp than it would with Mihm. MUCH more.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Well let's all remember this. Just before we played Golden State in the playoffs about 99% in here was saying, it was a fluke that Golden State has beaten us about the last 5 or 10 times we have played them. It was said no way they can beat us and most likely we would sweep them.

I am here to tell you as a Dallas Mavs fan that the Golden State Warriors is a better team than us, when it comes to us playing them. Certain styles match up better and GS has our number. It was not the refs fault, it was not that they was lucky. They beat our ass and they beat it fair and square.

Now we can say well maybe we won't ever have to play GS again or we can look why they beat us and be real. Then we can try to plug up the leaks where they cmpletely destroyed us. The good thing, maybe Matt Barnes will not be back with GS in which he killed us. Maybe Stephen Jackson will not be back with GS and he killed us.

Let's just say we have to play GS next year and remember Avery said "no way i am playing Dampier much" against GS. What now? Small ball? They will beat us again in small ball. We have a very good team and we have a great shot at beating SA, which to me is by far the best team in basketball and i feel we are very good and can compete and maybe even beat SA. They beat everybody but it is some teams we possibly can't beat.

I ask how much offense was run thru Damp in the GS series? I begged Avery to play Dampier but no, small ball. We must have men sitting on that bench to compete with GS for small ball, if Avery plays that way. We must have men on the bench that can come in against GS that can score down low, if again he yanks Dampier out and says no way Damp you are not playing. GS covers Terry/Dirk like a glove and now they can't do squat. Now who or what?

DJ or Ager is not the answer. I am asking, if i had the chance, Avery, what do we do the next time we play GS? If we have Dampier/Diop and no others, play them. If we have a player like a PJ Brown, Mihm, then they or atleast Brown would attack GS inside. I am not worried with 90% of the teams in the nba but it is a few i worry with and GS is one of the few.

I am saying we need a power forward/center that is a monster inside. Low post threat and can score. We would have had alot better chance putting Pops in last year and either him turning it over or scorring, because we was going to lose anyway with playing small and no middle. Then we must have a man outside, off the bench that can shoot and not just Stackhouse. Let's hope this man can penetrate also and isn't 40 years old. Gerald Wallace would be a dream but he is probably next to impossible to get. Our bench proved to be very weak. Our bench must improve.

I don't think we have to tinker much with our starters, it is our bench, and a low post player we can bring in that can score. Mihm is probably not the answer but the Mavs organzation better have one in mind because the next playoffs we face the GS Warriors and we play no center except Diop some, we are going to get killed again.

The good thing, i feel the problem can be solved pretty easy from off our bench and we could kill GS. Will we?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I am not getting on anyone cause i love hearing everyone's views because i learn stuff everyday from all. People in here, that know me from Yahoo board and our rumor board the last two years knows, i give credit where credit is due to all players and all teams that deserve it.

If i see a big gapping hole or weakness, then i bring it up to talk about, to see what direction or player we should look at to fix the leak. That is all i am talking about here with a bench inside scorrer.

If we played GS again and went with the same guys and lineup and i am coach. I do not go small but i go big against GS. If we stay the same, they better be giving Dirk and Dampier lessons down low on offense and Avery better play "Dampier".

The way it turned out, we could not stop any GS player at the rim. We missed Dampier. They bombed 3's on us and most of the time without us getting our hands up. We had no one on our team to penetrate, except Harris. They made us a stand still horse jump shooting team. We are so much better than that.

Do not get me wrong, we would not be near as good as we are without Dampier/Diop. They are most of our defense. All i am saying, is we must get a man to come in for Dirk at times, and this same man or another man to come in for Diop/Dampier at times, that has a low post game and score. To me, this is the biggest gapping hole we have and teams exploit this, or the good teams and coaches. We need to get deeper here off the bench and an offense man.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
There's more to offense than a set shot. Our offense runs much more effectively with Damp than it would with Mihm. MUCH more.
Pretty sure Mihm can turn the ball over just as good as Damp on offense.

But seriously, how so? Mihm can set screens (like any center should be able to) and grab offensive boards (not as good as Damp in that department). Then if you add the fact he can actually put the ball in the hole it opens up another option for us on offense. I'm agreeing that he is a spare. But I would love for him to be a backup 4 for Dirk who can play occassional 5 minutes when we need the offensive boost. That said for the full mid level I would much rather grab Darko.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Neither Darko nor Mihm deserve the full MLE, and I doubt Mihm gets it.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Pretty sure Mihm can turn the ball over just as good as Damp on offense.

But seriously, how so? Mihm can set screens (like any center should be able to) and grab offensive boards (not as good as Damp in that department). Then if you add the fact he can actually put the ball in the hole it opens up another option for us on offense. I'm agreeing that he is a spare. But I would love for him to be a backup 4 for Dirk who can play occassional 5 minutes when we need the offensive boost. That said for the full mid level I would much rather grab Darko.
Mihm can shoot a set shot and can shoot free throws. Other than that, they score at roughly the same clip for their careers, with Damp owning a better shooting percentage. They turn the ball over at about the same clip, Damp has the edge in assists, and a big edge in rebounding.

And Damp is MASSIVELY better defensivly.

Chris Mihm is a spare. If you want to bring him in for the low level exception to play backup 4, fine. But don't say that he'd do anything better than Damp.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

mihm suxxxxxx! i pray to god he has nothing to do with the mavs!
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

I think the real story here is that they're trying to sign him as a veteran guard!
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I have thought of darko but was he ever a bust at first but now he looks like he can rebound and a good shot blocker. I see where Golden State want's Darko, if they can't get Garnett.

Dampier and Diop are our centers. We just need a power forward slash center that can give Dirk or our centers a break and this power forward slash center score the ball inside. As it stands now, teams should make us play stand still half court, and they should dare us to throw the ball down low to Dirk or Dampier or Diop. This is where we run into trouble. Maybe Dirk and Dampier will get better down low.

I see were we want PJ Brown and i feel he will be good for us. He is old but last year he could still play good.

As far as these contracts, to me, they are all getting crazy. Mihm doesn't play and is hurt and he want's a raise. Blake, Carroll and Kapono did not know if they could make a nba team. Kapono was suppose to and then just fell off bad. Now these guys are all demanding raises.

Gerald Wallace should break the bank. It is sort of slim pickens on fair to good players and most all will get inflated prices. I feel if we keep this same exact team, from our starters to our bench, that we will need a backup off the bench that can score down low. Not so much for the regular season but for the playoffs.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I just read this and i like everyone of these guys we are looking at except. I am not sure how much Joe Smith has left but any would help us.

With Stackhouse locked up, the Mavericks can turn their attention to other free-agent interests. They are taking a patient stance in dealing with the players who are believed to be their top targets: Charlotte's Gerald Wallace, Chicago's P.J. Brown, Miami's James Posey, Golden State's Matt Barnes and Philadelphia's Joe Smith...

If we get any of these players, i am fine with it. Our bench needs beefing up. Utah want's George(we have) but maybe we will retain him.

I found this on the Suns, in which if they keep Kurt Thomas, or no one will take him, then they are pretty much set. They want PJ Brown but need to move Kurt Thomas. Grant Hill will be ok with them except he gets hurt alot and hurt really bad. He can hardly play a full season. If he could, it would be good for Phx but i feel Phx is hurting off their bench and Marcus Banks is terrible. I thought our bench was better than it was but i see it wasn't as good as i thought.

Unless the Suns can find a team interested in Thomas’ $8.1 million salary, leaving Phoenix a chance to possibly pursue P.J. Brown as a cheaper alternative, their roster is pretty well set. The top eight players are joined by Marcus Banks, Eric Piatkowski and draft picks Alando Tucker and D.J. Strawberry. There are indications veteran center Sean Marks could return and the team will take a hard look at former Raptor Pape Sow in the Vegas Summer League...
Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #18
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

This site amazes me sometimes in how much time is spent typing about spares. The sentence I just wrote is already to much. So is the sentence after the first sentence. etc.. etc..
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavericks are not in the Mihm running.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
The Mavericks are not in the Mihm running.
I've seem Mihm on the basketball court. Mihm and Running cannot be in the same sentence.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I've seem Mihm on the basketball court. Mihm and Running cannot be in the same sentence.

I haven't seen him much...for those who've seen him and Fazekas run, comparisons?...I sorta dread hearing the answer because Zeke was not much to write home about???
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #22
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Let's hope Faz can keep up with Mark Eaton in a foot race. Maybe he is working on those swift feet.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Neither Darko nor Mihm deserve the full MLE, and I doubt Mihm gets it.
i agree on mihm disagree on darko. Granted im starting to think theres a reason he never gets minutes but his per minute numbers are still good and hes still got all the physical gifts that made everyone fall in love with him. And hes only 22 i believe.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
i agree on mihm disagree on darko. Granted im starting to think theres a reason he never gets minutes but his per minute numbers are still good and hes still got all the physical gifts that made everyone fall in love with him. And hes only 22 i believe.
if you can get him for <= 5 million for a 2-3 year deal you have to jump on it.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #25
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I am not sure on how much it will take to sign Darko. He is young.