Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of
Default Mavs to Make Offer to Andray Blatche?

Tonight, a little birdie told me that Dallas is one team that might jump out with an offer for Blatche. That makes some sense because I read a report out of Dallas a few weeks back stating that Blatche would be a possible target for the Mavs if other options fell through. Stay tuned. - Washington Post

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizar...ue_update.html

I've never even heard of the guy, but looking at the comments on that article, it seems Wiz fans are really high on him for a guy that averaged 3 ppg.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting but it seems the Wiz would be intent to match, even if we offered the whole midlevel. I doubt we'll offer that anyway so this is basically another big long shot.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

He's a talented, young big. Gotta pick 'em up whenever you can. His stats might not be impressive at all (see Diop from his pre-mavs days) but I'm sure Avery sees a lot of potential and desire in him.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know much about him--can he play the 5 at all? If so, and the Mavs are really interested, that has to mean either we're trading one of our centers or DJ is going to be cut. No need to have four guys on the roster at the Center spot.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this guy got shot in the chest right before his rookie year. How 50 cent of him.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

He's 6-11, and has mainly a perimeter game, but not a good 3-pt shooter. Not sure what the interest is. Maybe they see something that everyone else doesn't, ala Diop. I don't think he'll play at 5. Probably a backup to Dirk.

Last edited by jacktruth; 07-14-2007 at 01:40 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

According to a league source, the Dallas Mavericks have expressed interest in Blatche, who was drafted by the Wizards in the second round of the 2005 draft. The Mavericks still have the full mid-level available.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
I just read this guy got shot in the chest right before his rookie year. How 50 cent of him.

In wake of shooting, Wiz kid becoming a man
By Brian Windhorst
Special to ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- Andray Blatche's daydreams have scars.

Sometimes when he gets in and out of a car, he feels a little twinge of remembrance. Before he falls asleep, that September early morning nightmare finds its way into his thoughts. He now finds himself instinctively looking around more, especially over his shoulder in dark hallways and streets.

The Wizards' young prospect is a different player at this version of the Vegas Summer League, but he's also a much different person. Just before training camp started last season, Blatche and teammate Peter Ramos were driving around Washington at 6 a.m. after a night of partying.

At a stop, men in masks and guns approached their luxury SUV in an attempted carjacking. One fired into the vehicle, striking Blatche in the wrist and chest. A few inches off and the bullet would've struck his heart. Instead, it just killed his innocence.

"Stuff like that changes you, it has changed me every day," Blatche said after his Wizards closed summer league with a loss to the Knicks on Thursday. "I have learned from it. I have to act like I'm 75 years old in every situation."

Blatche will never be mistaken for a senior citizen; he's still a youthful-looking 19. But his emotional education has been in rhythm with his basketball maturation. The shooting caused last June's second-round pick to miss all of training camp and he was behind for much of the rest of the way, getting just token time in 29 games, averaging just 2.2 points.

The whole experience matured him, though, and it showed the last 10 days at UNLV. It is easy to see why some compared the 6-foot-11 and wildly athletic Blatche to Kevin Garnett when he was rising to prep stardom in Syracuse, N.Y.

Playing in Vegas alongside another long, lean athlete in Oleksiy Pecherov, the Wizards' first-round draft pick who averaged 12.3 points in five games, Blatche was technically playing power forward. But he's just as comfortable catching the ball on the wing and dribble-driving like a classic swingman.

He's also just as likely to pull down a rebound and bring the ball up the court and start the offense himself. Plus he's been working hard recently on his post moves, which he showed in an array of pump fakes and drop steps in averaging 16 points and 6.2 rebounds in Vegas.

"We'll play him at center, too," said Wizards assistant coach Wes Unseld Jr. "He still needs a lot of work on the defensive end, but he's showing some flashes. He's got a lot of tools and can play a lot of positions, that makes him a real asset for us."

The Wizards are optimistic Blatche can crack their rotation this season, especially after he actually gets to take part in a training camp. There's plenty of rawness left; sometimes he turns the ball over in bunches and loses control of either the ball or his body. But it appears there will be a different Andray Blatche reporting for duty this fall.

"What happened last year could've messed me up, but I used it as a learning experience and took time to watch all the veterans we have," Blatche said. "It is not about me anymore as a player, it is about a team, an organization."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_Reno
According to a league source, the Dallas Mavericks have expressed interest in Blatche, who was drafted by the Wizards in the second round of the 2005 draft. The Mavericks still have the full mid-level available.
I thought George took half of the MLE?

I'd rather keep Benga than get another project guy.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

Blatche really warmed up in the spring as Eddie Jordan tried to make up for the loss of injured Jamison. watching him locally, i can see why Wiz fans are high on him. he's no fuss and did what he could to make up for the Jamison injury -- that mean playing in the paint. he has some skill down there and seems to be coming along as a versatile, young big.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
I thought George took half of the MLE?

I'd rather keep Benga than get another project guy.

Clearing the air: There is some misinformation on the Internet stating that the Mavericks had to dip into their mid-level exception to re-sign Devean George.

That's not the case, however, as George signed a one-year deal Thursday at a 20 percent increase of last year's salary. His pay for next season will be about $2.336 million.

Had it been for more than a 20 percent increase, it would have come out of the mid-level. But the Mavericks still have the full $5.3 million to work with, as well as their $1.8 million exception that teams get every other year.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 07-15-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

pointless... whatever we offer .. they will match
Old 07-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
ballin_boi
Banned

ballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the rough

unless, god forbid, we give him the full MLE. The dude is basically a very young, raw Dirk minus the outside touch.
ballin_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin_boi
unless, god forbid, we give him the full MLE. The dude is basically a very young, raw Dirk minus the outside touch.
...what?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:

Nope... but I see potential. I think...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

I think the Wizards are trying to avoid going over the Luxury Tax threshold and only have about 3 or 4 million left after they sign Stevenson and McGuire. So if Dallas wants to keep them from matching, it seems like they could start his contract above that amount and then not give him pay increases each year or even give him pay decreases, since i doubt any team thinks he is worth the full MLE.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Huh?...it's kind of difficult to see how someone could be a young, raw dirk without the outside touch? I think that sorta' defines dirk doesn't it?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #18
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Blatche Discussions With Washington Ongoing
July 16, 2007 - 7:08 pm

Christopher Reina/RealGM -
Eric Fleisher, agent for Andray Blatche, confirmed that he has indeed had conversations with the Dallas Mavericks about his client. Blatche is a restricted free agent and is widely expected to remain with Washington.

Blatche, who was drafted by the Wizards in the second round of the 2005 draft, has seen limited actions during his first two season in the NBA. He averaged 12.1 points and 11.2 rebounds per 40 minutes last season.

Now that DeShawn Stevenson has re-signed with the Wizards, some expect the club to speed up the process with Blatche, though Fleisher disagrees.

"I've had conversations with (the Wizards) straight through," said Fleisher.

As is typically his policy, Fleisher declined to comment on which other teams he has spoken to in regards to Blatche, though he did acknowledge that he has had talks with several other clubs.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 07-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #19
Dortmund

I would throw the whole MLE on blatche and pray the Wiz dont match... this guy could be the one that takes over once Dirk has done his thing...
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

He's suppose to be a poor man's Kevin Garnett.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:17 AM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I like the kid and everything tells me he's ready for 15-20 minutes but giving the entire MLE to a guy that doesnt really fit any need on our roster is a risky move.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #22
Dortmund

I agree.. but I just got this feeling that this could be the similar to the Redd and Lewis situations..
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #23
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Mavericks targeting Andray Blatche; Dallas loses in Rocky Mountain Revue

By Matt Carter | July 16th, 2007

Andray Blatche is on the Mavs' radar. (Associated Press)

While Chris Webber and Steve Francis receive most of the press in the Dallas area, recently another name has recently entered the fold of possible free agent acquisitions. Unlike Webber and Francis, this is not a guy who has put up big numbers in the league, or a guy that comes in with a long history of injuries. In fact, Andray Blatche has only played in 85 career games, averaging 3.2 points and 2.7 rebounds.

So what attracts the Mavericks to this guy, and could likely make them overpay to get him? One word: potential. Blatche came into the NBA in 2005 directly out of high school, and will not turn 21 until August. His time with the Washington Wizards was limited, but per 40 minutes last season he did average a double-double in points and rebounds. At 6’11’’ and 248 pounds, he also has the size to play at the 4 position that some of the Mavs’ other prospects, such as Pops Mensah-Bonsu, may lack.

Usually rumors about possible free agents are typically without merit, but this story has some significant meat to it. According to RealGM, Blatche’s agent, Eric Fleisher, confirmed that Dallas was in the running to acquire his client, though most people suspect Blatche will re-sign with the Wizards. I do find Fleisher’s comments unusual for two reasons.

1. He failed to mention any other names beside Dallas and Washington, though several other teams were reportedly “interested.”

2. The word “conversations” was emphasized, meaning that these talks were more than just a leisurely phone call.

To me, Fleisher’s comments mean either that Blatche is very close to signing a contract in Dallas, or that this is merely an attempt to get Washington to up their bid. The Mavericks have the luxury of a full MLE, and they could offer a good portion of it and still sign another guy with the remaining portion or the LLE. The main problem is that Blatche is a restricted free agent and Washington can match whatever offer Dallas puts on the table. When decided to match the contract the Wizards will have to decide if Blatche is worth the money or not. It was just announced that DeShawn Stevenson would be remaining with the team (probably for about $4 or $5 million a year), and they must consider the fat contract they’ll likely be giving Gilbert Arenas when he opts out in 2008. That said, it doesn’t seem like a $2-4 million would be a huge waste of money for a 20-year old with a huge upside. Blatche may have to be acquired through a sign-and-trade; a draft pick along with a young player (Maurice Ager or Pops Mensah-Bonsu) could be enough if the Wizards are looking for something in return.

Dallas should do everything in their power to pick this guy up. Blatche hasn’t done much in the NBA just yet, but with his age and size it wouldn’t be too much of a gamble and would enable them to build for the future while attempting to win now. Donnie Nelson, put in another call to Fleisher and get this deal done.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #24
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

From Hoopsworld:

Washington Post: "DeShawn Stevenson signed a four-year, $15 million contract with the Washington Wizards yesterday. He will hold an option for the fourth year. The Wizards have 10 players under contract for the upcoming season. The team is working on signing second-round draft pick Dominic McGuire and plans on retaining restricted free agent forward Andray Blatche."

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

What happened to the Iudoka guy from portland? I seem to have lost track of that thread and was curious as to whether we are still interested in him?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #26
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie, trade JT.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #27
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

the mavs already have diop. why add another one?
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #28
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThaMavsFan
because it was the best signing of the cuban era and he is a PF/C with athleticism, and he has a midrange jumper, and since we re-signed george the defensive 3 man who can hit a 3 is not as pressing and, and, and, and....
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #29
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThaMavsFan
Diop can't back up Dirk at the 4. This guy might be able to.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #30
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

This guy could probably back up Dirk and play inside.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineCubanCigar
because it was the best signing of the cuban era and he is a PF/C with athleticism, and he has a midrange jumper, and since we re-signed george the defensive 3 man who can hit a 3 is not as pressing and, and, and, and....
Another dumb move by cuban probably.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineCubanCigar
Very,very good signing.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #33
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Diop isn't anything like Blatche. Blatche is a raw, athletic forward with the a lot of potential on the offensive and defensive end. He's 5 years younger than Diop, will never be the shot-blocker that Diop is, but is already a superior offensive player. I love Diop and think he's a very valuable role-player, but he is one of the worst offensive players in the league. The guy couldn't even average 2 points a game in summer league. If we sign Blatche it will be to have a guy who can provide us with some athleticism and possibly some scoring as a backup 4 over the next couple of seasons, and potentially a guy who can step into Dirk's shoes when Dirk begins to decline. Blatche is 8 years younger than Dirk and will be in his prime when Dirk is in his mid-30's.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #34
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I think I may have found a reason why the Mavs are interested in this guy: in two games against Golden State last season, he averaged 18 points and 14 boards.

EDIT: Nevermind, those are totals. I misread the stats. He averaged 9 and 7.

Last edited by Stranger; 07-17-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #35
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Here some scouting reports about Blatche I´ve found:

Scouting Much more effective on the inside but drifts out to perimeter. Big time talent and has great length. Blocks shots, can handle it some and is effective as a face up power forward.

Link

NBA Draft Profile: Andray Blatche

High School: South Kent Prep School
Hometown: Syracuse, New York
Class: Senior

Height: 6-11
Weight: 230 lbs.

Rivals.com Player Ranking: 7

Scouting Report: Amazing potential… This guy has more well developed skills than most big men at the college level… already plays at an NBA speed… will need to add muscle or else will get pushed around in NBA… does not have explosion of past high schoolers who have jumped to the pros such as Lebron James and Amare Stoudemire

Strengths: Soft touch, versatile offensive skills, maturity

Weaknesses: Too thin… disappears from games… could be more dominant on the glass and defensive end

Siegel's Take - NBA Scouting Reports: Part 2

"The biggest problem with Blatche is figuring out what role he'll fill for an NBA team. He's just short of 7-0, but Blatche obviously goes to sleep at night dreaming that he was a point guard and not a dominant center. He's athletic and skilled, but he's not extremely fast, nor is he extremely strong. Outside of Gerald Green, Blatche is perhaps the most physically intriguing of the high school players, but his game needs refinement."

Link

NBA Comparison: Steven Hunter

Strengths: Long and athletic prospect with good potential... Plays well facing the basket and can put the ball on the floor as he has a great handle for someone his size. Has shown a good outside shot but needs to work on his consistency... Gets off the floor quickly and blocks or alters shots... Runs the floor well and gets rebounds do to his length and leaping ability.

Weaknesses: Needs to play with more effort and consistency. Dominates some games and is non-existent in others... While he has range on his outside shot he needs to work on being a consistent shooter... Like many of the Kevin Garnett clones these days, Blatche is infatuated with the perimeter. Floats around on the outside at times when he should be down low posting up... Decent speed, but isn’t quick enough to get by defenders at the next level... At almost seven feet tall, Blatche has all the physical tools to make it big in the NBA one day, it just won’t be anytime soon... Will be a project for whichever team decides to select him.

Notes: Has made it clear he intends to bypass college and go straight to the league. Will need to show solid progress to be a first round selection.

-Mike Apodaca 12/20/04

Link

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #36
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I like the potential here. Three inches taller and three years younger than Pops, and it sounds like he's got a more refined offensive game.

It doesn't look like this AP sports writer really understands the salary cap, though. Sign-and-trade only works if salaries match up; Ager and Pops each make less than a million this year, meaning one of those guys + a second rounder would only allow us to sign Blatche to a starting salary of < $1.3MM. Don't see why Washington wouldn't just hang onto him for that kind of money.

Now, if we could sign him and convince the Wiz to take back Buckner's contract along with Pops and/or a second rounder, everybody wins. Or at least, the Mavs do.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #37
NimphiusJr

NimphiusJr is on a distinguished road

Could Andray Blatche play the 5 position vs. GS or Phoenix ?
NimphiusJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #38
Dortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimphiusJr
Could Andray Blatche play the 5 position vs. GS or Phoenix ?
yes he definitely could... he is a very good shot blocker as well and atheltic enough to keep up.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #39
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Blatche Offered Deal From Wizards
July 28, 2007 - 10:44 am Washington Times -

According to two league sources, the Washington Wizards last night offered restricted free agent forward Andray Blatche a three-year deal worth about $11 million.

Blatche was said to be mulling over the offer last night, one source said.

The offer is substantially smaller than the one Blatche and his agent, Eric Fleisher, are said to be looking for. Blatche, who turns 21 next month, has had his name mentioned as a player who might possibly receive the mid-level exception, which has a starting salary of $5.35 million in the first season.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #40
Dortmund

rubbish offer... get involved!