Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lakers Trade Cook/Evans for Ariza

Good trade for both sides. All 3 players should do well with a change of scenery.

Lakers trade Cook and Evans to Orlando for Trevor Ariza

November 20, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Los Angeles Lakers traded forward Brian Cook and swingman Maurice Evans to the Orlando Magic on Tuesday for forward Trevor Ariza.

Ariza has averaged 3.3 points and 2.2 rebounds in 11 games this season, his fourth in the NBA. Last season, he averaged 8.9 points and 4.4 rebounds for the Magic.

The 6-foot-8 forward left UCLA after one season and was drafted by the New York Knicks with the 43rd overall pick in 2004.

"He's a 6-8 athletic, active guy," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said before their game against the Indiana Pacers. "His specialty is probably defense. He's an all-around player, but defensively, with the athleticism -- he's tough."

Cook has played sparingly this season for the Lakers, averaging 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds in six games. He was in the first year of a three-year, $10.5 million contract.

The 6-9, 250-pounder was a first-round pick by the Lakers in the 2003 draft after playing at Illinois. He turns 27 on Dec. 4.

Cook's best season was in 2005-06, when he averaged 7.9 points, 3.4 rebounds and 19 minutes, all career highs.

Cook, along with Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher and Luke Walton, were the only players on the current roster who played with the Lakers in 2003-04, the last time they advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs.

Evans averaged 4.4 points in seven games for the Lakers this season. The 29-year-old was in the final year of his contract.

The 6-5, 220-pounder averaged a career-high 8.4 points in 76 games last season, his first with the Lakers. Evans was acquired from Detroit in a draft day trade in 2006. He's also played for Minnesota and Sacramento.

"We gave up two players that were veterans, experienced players who fit into our system relatively well," Jackson said.

Ariza hadn't yet joined the Lakers, and Cook and Evans weren't with the team, leaving Los Angeles short-handed for Tuesday's game.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I wish maurice evans all the best. He is a former UT longhorn and I hell of a scorer in college. Just seems like his skill set didn't quite translate over
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

yeah i agree, it seemed like he was always forcing shots and pressing a bit much to make a splash. decent player though i could see him playing a role in a different system. i really like what orlando is doing personnel wise i think they are a 2 or 3 seed this year in the east
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Wow I was just wondering what was Ariza been up to and saw he had 0 points this morning in the paper. He play's a postion that the Magic are stacked at so I guess the pt wasn't there. But i'm not sure why the Lakers do this. Two solid role players for one who has underachieved? I'm guessing this is all based on potential.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

IMO

Cook/Evans > Ariza

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

This is that marquee player that Kobe was wanting. Everything is in perfect harmony now in Lakerland.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote