Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-27-2002, 11:40 PM   #1
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

I'm a relatively new fan. Can someone please fill me in quickly on all this Joe Smith illegal signing thing I've read about everywhere? What did the T-Wolves do wrong, and how have they been punished? Thanks.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2002, 01:31 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I can kinda help, but someone would have to fill in better.

I believe Smith signed a one year contract (did he do it twice?) with the promise he'd get the big paycheck in the next season. The agent that helped get that deal was fired by Smith and admitted to the promises being made, etc...

The T-Wolves had 5 (?) of their first round picks revoked, but later Stern reinstated 2 (?) of them.

Smith was banned from re-signing with the Wolves, hence the 1-year stint with Detroit.

The owner had some punishment but can't remember and McHale was banned from operations for a year or something like that.

Im probably leaving out lots or confused an issue, but Im close enough for you to get an idea.

Im sure MFFL can dig up an article for you about it.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:09 AM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure what Smith's first T-Wolves contract was for, but MFF has it right that it was a relatively small contract signed with the understanding that when it was up, Minnesota would give Smith a much bigger contract--the issue being that they signed him for what they could under the Collective Bargaining Agreement originally, but after that contact was up they would have the rights to sign him to a much larger contract.

Those kind of wink-wink deals go on all the time--sign for what we can pay you now and then once we have Bird rights we'll give you more. Its technically a circumvention of the CBA the team is contracting to pay the player more than they are allowed to promise him under the CBA. But the league normally can't do much about it since they can't prove such 'understandings' exist. But in this case, T-Wolves management was stupid enough to actually put the deal in writing with signatures. So since they could prove it, the NBA made an example of Minnesota.

The initial punishment was they lost their next 5 first-round draft picks, the League refused to let Joe Smith re-sign with them, and both McHale and the owner were 'suspended' for a year. They weren't allowed to go anywhere near the team. Stern has since re-instated next year's pick. He may have already reinstated another one, I"m not sure about that.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 03:34 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hoopmeister, I thought I was close enough.

Thanks for filling in the gaps.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #5
DTL
Diamond Member

Thanks for the info, MFF and Hoops.

Can't believe they actually had the "understanding" in writing. Was that McHale's first year as GM?
Old 04-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The former agent insisted that it be in writing to guarantee that the Wolves paid up. Well Joe SMith fired his agent and the only way the agent was going to get paid his % of the BIG contract was to threaten to give the info to the NBA front office. The agent didn't get his money so he turned over the info.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 05:09 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't feel a bit sorry for anyone involved. They all knew what they were doing was against the rules.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 05:26 PM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Thanks for the info, MFF and Hoops.

Can't believe they actually had the &quot;understanding&quot; in writing. Was that McHale's first year as GM?
>>

McHale claimed that he was out of the loop on the deal. That it was between Smith, Smith's agent, and the owner. Apparently McHale hadn't signed anything
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
DTL
Diamond Member

I can't believe it was all for Joe Smith, especially after these three games....
Old 04-28-2002, 10:32 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I was hoping to get Smith when he was going to choose between us and the Pistons cause I thought he'd fit with us and give us that rebounding help we needed.

Your right though DTL, I can't believe all that was done for Smith. He's decent but not worth all the hell they went through.

And it doesn't matter that this kind of thing goes on all the time, it's the fact that they were dumb enough to put it in writing.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:33 AM   #11
DTL
Diamond Member

<< I was hoping to get Smith when he was going to choose between us and the Pistons cause I thought he'd fit with us and give us that rebounding help we needed. >>

And I suppose, back then, you weren't counting on the German kid to become such a monster on the boards [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2002, 12:09 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Funny DTL.

Seriously, at the time, Dirk was our only rebounding presence and I figured Smith could help us out in that area. Plus, he was another long body that could help fill out our middle some and be one of those energy guys like Najera, etc...

But, Im much more happy with LaFrentz, thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2002, 09:15 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad he didn't come here. it would have changed what the Mavs could do and I like the way we are just fine.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote