Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs lost at Pistons: 31-15

Does the final score really matter? The Mavs seemed to be struggling to keep their heads above water all afternoon long, and in the second half, they finally sunk. The Pistons marched out to a lead near 20, and that was that.

Just a really, really ugly offensive game. Once again, the Mavs had a horrible time even getting into their offensive sets. It seemed like every possession ended up getting down to the last few seconds of the shot clock before the Mavs missed another difficult shot. The Pistons defense was solid, but the Mavs did nothing to help themselves.

Devin Harris is really missed right now. Actually, Stack is missed too. Despite his flaws, Stack is there with Devin and Dirk as the three best passers and creators on this team. Without two of them, you see what happens.

Good defensive game from the Mavs. They really battled and contested on that end. The Pistons had to work for almost everything they got. That's a good sign of the Mavs' integrity. You can be proud of that.

The biggest disappointment of this game, by far, for me was seeing how the Pistons dominated Dallas in the front court. You might expect to get drilled in the backcourt without Devin and Stack, but seeing Dirk and Josh get completely outplayed is beyond frustrating. Rasheed and Tayshaun Prince were the best players on the floor all day long, and Jason Maxiell was right there with them. Dallas had to win that matchup, and they didn't even come close.

Just in case you were wondering, the Mavs backcourt was pretty horrific too. Jet continues to struggle shooting, further compounding his trouble dribbling and passing. And Eddie Jones seems to be limping up and down the floor right now. At least, they defended pretty well.

Damp did a pretty good job on the boards, but that was it.

Bass was a bright spot. In fact, he was probably the best offensive player for the Mavs today. There was no other help off the bench though.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

At 4:01 central, and at least until the next game, the Mavs suck.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the game, but is JET trying not to get traded?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Haha funny, cause noone would want him at this rate.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I know Harris and Stackhouse were out, but this game causes me a great deal of concern as far as the mavs winning the title.

Anyone who thinks JHo got snubbed for not making the all-star game is lying to themselves... JHo has the talent definitely but is it me or is he just too damn passive at times? not to mention his presence on the floor doesn't really make anyone else better.

The Mavs are not as deep as the Pistons and Lakers right now, and their starting 5 might not be good enouhg to beat any of them either.... Im concerned, someone comfort me!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
It's going to do one of two things. Either some teams will see this and never, ever deal for him. Or the Mavs will get sick of this and try to swing a deal to someone who thinks it won't be a problem for them.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Or, think about we dont have a true Superstar that can get us to the next level? Once again, an opponent player talks alot of stuff and backs it up against our so called Big Time players.

Problem has NEVER been about our PG situation no matter what. Problem goes MUCH deeper than that. All problems start/end on the floor, especially with an experienced team like the Mavs.

OOOh, I forgot that the crew is back blaming JET for everything. Nothing ever changes over here. !!!! Seriously, it is sickening to hear. If anyone thinks we are going to win a title by getting Harris and Stack back is living a dream. Yes, Harris makes a difference, just like if Jet is out Harris and the rest will struggle.

Whole problem lies on ONE shoulder!!!!
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the defense was decent and I didn't think that Dirk got beaten that much. Sheed was just good last night, really good. Dirk played him on the blocks but he was also 3-4 on 3pt shots accounting for 9 of his points. Take those away and he was 6-14, not exactly killing inside and he never got to the ftline.

It is disturbing to see the mavs continue (this happens every single year) to go away from even looking to dump the ball down to dampier when they are doubled, etc.

But silk is pretty silly here, our PG play was absolutely atrocious.

So team wins what (9-11), devin goes out and we are on a 2-game losing streak and looking to go 3. We've also gotten beat at the pg (horribly) both games.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-03-2008 at 06:44 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

If Jet went out after us going 9-11, then same thing would have happened. Stop acting like Harris is a all-star and we cant win w/o him. Yes, we miss him, but we will miss ANY starter on this team. If you couple that with Stack being out, then you are looking at a Mavs team that struggles more.

The only silly part is the Jet bashing after this loss. Once again, you read all the Jet bashing and wait until I defend him to call my post silly. Now, thats silly!!!

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 02-03-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Or, think about we dont have a true Superstar that can get us to the next level? Once again, an opponent player talks alot of stuff and backs it up against our so called Big Time players.

Problem has NEVER been about our PG situation no matter what. Problem goes MUCH deeper than that. All problems start/end on the floor, especially with an experienced team like the Mavs.

OOOh, I forgot that the crew is back blaming JET for everything. Nothing ever changes over here. !!!! Seriously, it is sickening to hear. If anyone thinks we are going to win a title by getting Harris and Stack back is living a dream. Yes, Harris makes a difference, just like if Jet is out Harris and the rest will struggle.

Whole problem lies on ONE shoulder!!!!
You know what's even more sickening? You hide your ass while Dirk is Superman for a 20-game stretch, then he has one bad game and your ugly head pops out of the gutter again.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

glad i missed this one...hoorayyyyy to my boss for scheduling me at the office on a weekend.
Thank god for superbowl.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Jet went out after us going 9-11, then same thing would have happened. Stop acting like Harris is a all-star and we cant win w/o him. Yes, we miss him, but we will miss ANY starter on this team. If you couple that with Stack being out, then you are looking at a Mavs team that struggles more.

The only silly part is the Jet bashing after this loss. Once again, you read all the Jet bashing and wait until I defend him to call my post silly. Now, thats silly!!!
I have news for you, the Jet bashing did NOT start after this loss dudda'. He couldn't get the ball across half court against Rondo either. The last two games he's been atrocious.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The bombastic center scored over Dirk Nowitzki on a fadeaway late in the third quarter as Detroit pulled away, and Wallace had more to say to the Mavericks.

"He can't guard me!" Wallace screamed toward Dallas' bench.

-----

This can not happen again.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
The bombastic center scored over Dirk Nowitzki on a fadeaway late in the third quarter as Detroit pulled away, and Wallace had more to say to the Mavericks.

"He can't guard me!" Wallace screamed toward Dallas' bench.

-----

This can not happen again.
This sounds eerily familiar to last year.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #15
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

I really can't stand the arrogant Sheed, though he's good on the court.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I have news for you, the Jet bashing did NOT start after this loss dudda'. He couldn't get the ball across half court against Rondo either. The last two games he's been atrocious.
Nope, it did not start, but it sure did get back in full force today. Jet is not the back-up SG on this team, and that is his role. He has adapted to it, and now needs to adapt back to the starting PG role. This means the whole rotation is in disarray. This team has been going back down long before Harris went out. To me, the record may not show, but since Stack has went out, we have went down.

Now Terry has not played up to par these last two games, but we can say his running mate (Harris) is out, so chemisty is off. Same thing would happen if Jet goes out, with Stack out as well. We would see the same type of problems on offense.

But, lets go back to stats again. Tell me which PG is giving up the most posts on defense? I am not saying in any way Jet is a better defender, but I am trying to say that we have been killed at the PG slot all season long. Now go check 82games on this one. I am strictly talking giving up points. Last time I checked that is what we measure the game by with the wins and loses.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #17
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
You know what's even more sickening? You hide your ass while Dirk is Superman for a 20-game stretch, then he has one bad game and your ugly head pops out of the gutter again.

Shut, the hell up!!! My viewpoint on Dirk has been the same for a long time. And, no Dirk was NOT Superman for a 20-game stretch. Dirk has not been Superman all season long for a long period of time. Dont act like Dirk was tearing it up. If he was, then why is he an alternate for the All-Star game this year, when KG has moved to the East? I am not the only one seeing this!!!! I am not bashing Dirk. I am just saying what I see as the answer for a title. I just DONT think this current team will win a title. Thats just how I see it.

If you dont think that 67 pts dont bring out the worst in a fan, then what does? Questions for you!! Does Dirk ever do wrong ? Could Dirk do things better? Is Dirk too guardable now? Does Dirk play solid defense? Does Dirk anchor our defensive intensity? Does Dirk take over the game in the big games we need him the most? When the going gets tough, and play gets physical, does Dirk thrive? If you wake Dirk would talking trash and getting under his skin, does that wake the sleeping giant? Why do regular players scream to the Mavs bench about the defense of Dirk?

In the end, I like to make things even by pointing out that Dirk shares blame as well!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he was, then why is he an alternate for the All-Star game this year, when KG has moved to the East?
Because China is bigger than Germany.

Quote:
Does Dirk ever do wrong ? Could Dirk do things better? Is Dirk too guardable now? Does Dirk play solid defense? Does Dirk anchor our defensive intensity? Does Dirk take over the game in the big games we need him the most? When the going gets tough, and play gets physical, does Dirk thrive? If you wake Dirk would talking trash and getting under his skin, does that wake the sleeping giant? Why do regular players scream to the Mavs bench about the defense of Dirk?
Yes, yes, no, sometimes, no, lots, sometimes, what?, Sheed is hardly "regular".

Quote:
In the end, I like to make things even by pointing out that Dirk shares blame as well!!!!!!!!!!
He shares the blame? I thought you just said he keeps it all to himself.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #19
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Quote:
This year it's more because Duncan moved to F from C where he was scared by snub...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #20
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

What an awful, awful game this was! Honestly, are we really this bad without Devin Harris? How the hell did we manage to win so many games over the past three years with Jason Terry starting?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #21
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Nope, it did not start, but it sure did get back in full force today. Jet is not the back-up SG on this team, and that is his role. He has adapted to it, and now needs to adapt back to the starting PG role. This means the whole rotation is in disarray. This team has been going back down long before Harris went out. To me, the record may not show, but since Stack has went out, we have went down.
It's because he's looked like crap the last two games against good defenses. It's also because he looked just like he did against GSW's pressing defenses. It's a deja vu moment. It's a bad one.

Quote:
Now Terry has not played up to par these last two games, but we can say his running mate (Harris) is out, so chemisty is off. Same thing would happen if Jet goes out, with Stack out as well. We would see the same type of problems on offense.
We might see problems on defense but we wouldn't see the same struggle attacking the other team and walking the ball up all day. Jason just doesn't have it in him to push the thing like we need it to be pushed.

Quote:
But, lets go back to stats again. Tell me which PG is giving up the most posts on defense? I am not saying in any way Jet is a better defender, but I am trying to say that we have been killed at the PG slot all season long. Now go check 82games on this one. I am strictly talking giving up points. Last time I checked that is what we measure the game by with the wins and loses.
I really don't know what you are talking about here. Be more specific or post the number.
In +/- devin is third behind dirk/josh/devin/jason. As you'd expect.
Devin has the highest winning %
The team stuff is a lot more mixed because harris/jason share PG duties.

Jason's not a bad player at all, he just has a very hard time imo with teams that press his dribble. It makes him slower than usual and difficult for him. It does devin as well but when they do he blows past them and attacks, the strategy isn't as effective.

When your pg is having a hard time getting the ball into it's sets your team is going to suffer badly.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

Yes, yes, no, sometimes, no, lots, sometimes, what?, Sheed is hardly "regular".

He shares the blame? I thought you just said he keeps it all to himself.
I think it is alot more than that. There are some that think that even if a so called Superstar plays like one, but if they still dont succeed, then they should still shoulder the blame. I agree with that, because they get paid to succeed. But in other cases, when a so called Superstar does not even play up to the Superstar level, then it should be more than just shouldering the blame. It goes much deeper than that. When I look at the make-up of this team, I start to see that we need a certain type of Superstar to get us to the promise land. I just dont feel Dirk is that type of player. Maybe it is a bigger knock on our roster, but it certainly is a knock on Dik.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shut, the hell up!!! My viewpoint on Dirk has been the same for a long time. And, no Dirk was NOT Superman for a 20-game stretch. Dirk has not been Superman all season long for a long period of time. Dont act like Dirk was tearing it up. If he was, then why is he an alternate for the All-Star game this year, when KG has moved to the East? I am not the only one seeing this!!!! I am not bashing Dirk. I am just saying what I see as the answer for a title. I just DONT think this current team will win a title. Thats just how I see it.

If you dont think that 67 pts dont bring out the worst in a fan, then what does? Questions for you!! Does Dirk ever do wrong ? Could Dirk do things better? Is Dirk too guardable now? Does Dirk play solid defense? Does Dirk anchor our defensive intensity? Does Dirk take over the game in the big games we need him the most? When the going gets tough, and play gets physical, does Dirk thrive? If you wake Dirk would talking trash and getting under his skin, does that wake the sleeping giant? Why do regular players scream to the Mavs bench about the defense of Dirk?

dirk WAS superman for quite a while. If a man who poses as a mavs fan doesnt see that why would we expect national people to see that?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
This sounds eerily familiar to last year.
It is a rallying cry to beat the Mavs and beat Dirk. Seriously, these are the type of players that we will face in the playoffs. Players are more than confident against Dirk. There is no fear on playing the Mavs. In the past, teams would fear stopping Dirk and the Mavs. Now, than all have a rallying cry and confidence is the biggest weapon against the Mavs. Teams/Players are just too confident against the Mavs, and especially Dirk. Not only do they think you can score at will on Dirk, but they now know they can stop him when they want. I have said this all summer long. The blueprint is out!!!!!!! Alot of people did not want to hear me this summer when I said this, but it has become painfully true. I wish I was wrong..Seriously!!! I wish I was wrong.

I am as big of Mavs fan as any. I just call it like I see it. Our problems are much bigger that Harris or Jet or even Damp or Diop. Because all of our flaws would be moot with one simple solution.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
It's because he's looked like crap the last two games against good defenses. It's also because he looked just like he did against GSW's pressing defenses. It's a deja vu moment. It's a bad one.

We might see problems on defense but we wouldn't see the same struggle attacking the other team and walking the ball up all day. Jason just doesn't have it in him to push the thing like we need it to be pushed.

I really don't know what you are talking about here. Be more specific or post the number.
In +/- devin is third behind dirk/josh/devin/jason. As you'd expect.
Devin has the highest winning %
The team stuff is a lot more mixed because harris/jason share PG duties.

Jason's not a bad player at all, he just has a very hard time imo with teams that press his dribble. It makes him slower than usual and difficult for him. It does devin as well but when they do he blows past them and attacks, the strategy isn't as effective.

When your pg is having a hard time getting the ball into it's sets your team is going to suffer badly.
Now dont get me wrong, I do see Jet out there stinking it up these last two games, but I also have seen Harris stink it up over periods of time this season as well. When Harris stunk it up, most everyone wanted to blame someone else. So, lets blame Avery for yanking Jet around at the SG and PG duties. Jet needs to either play the SG or PG role. I would prefer him play the back-up PG role, so when he gets into the game, he is in the ole PG role. Right now, he is the starting PG, with the SG mentality that Avery has embedded in him for this season.

In the past with Terry at the PG slot, you would not attack him and Dirk both because they would kill you. Now, people dont fear the pick and roll/pop with Terry and Dirk. People want Dirk to get the ball, so they can crowd him and force him into that spin move to the basket. Teams are just too confident against the Mavs. Thats why we have the hardest time against mediocre teams like Hornets, Wizards, Hawks, Raptors, and GS. Against Suns and SA type of teams in the West, they still give us too much respect, so we have an upper hand against them because they still fear what we can do for the most part. Teams like Pistons finally decided to stop giving us respect, and Sheed pointed it out, and they took care of business in the worse way. No matter if Harris was there or not. Pistons were going to hit us in the mouth and attack Dirk and our interior.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #26
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
dirk WAS superman for quite a while. If a man who poses as a mavs fan doesnt see that why would we expect national people to see that?
If you call Superman what Dirk has been doing, then you indeed are that fan you are talking about. This team has been going downhill all season long, the record dont quite show it, but we see the signs too many times during the season. I dont care if we had 3 starters out last night. The way we played last night was not just a one game thing. IMO, it was the sum of where we are at for the playoffs.

By the way, lets flip the script for a second. I think someone else is posing as a Superman for quite a while this season!!!!!!! Yet, the blame goes on our 3 or 4th best player on the team.

Every other fan of other teams play their Superstars for bad showings, but it seems that here that Dirk is untouchable. Anybody that speaks out against Dirk is not a fan of the Mavs... That is silly, and homer like in so many ways. Call me what you like, but I guarantee my seats DONT say I am a imposter
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Every other fan of other teams play their Superstars for bad showings, but it seems that here that Dirk is untouchable. Anybody that speaks out against Dirk is not a fan of the Mavs... That is silly, and homer like in so many ways. Call me what you like, but I guarantee my seats DONT say I am a imposter
You are out of your mind. Dirk may be the most derided superstar out there. Not only the national media, but his local media and you (and many others on this board). Not to mention other nuthead message boards.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #28
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Silk, you know I agree with you that Jet has the ability to be good. He just lacks effort, that's my problem. When Harris has a bad game, he usually is still putting in 100% effort. I know and have seen with my own eyes that Terry can slash, distribute, and play solid defense (did all three of these in spurts against Denver, that is what convinced me)...he just chooses not to because he is becoming lazy and looks like he doesn't want to try. Can you explain why this is? This is why he is the 6/7th man told only to shoot when Harris is healthy because he won't do anything else. He started the season great and then plummeted to the point where he looks like he has lost simple fundamentals. I'm not rooting for Terry to be bad, but I also don't want someone detrimental to the team either. He has been positively detrimental lately and of all positions you simply can't have that at the pg position.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

In the past with Terry at the PG slot, you would not attack him and Dirk both because they would kill you. Now, people dont fear the pick and roll/pop with Terry and Dirk. People want Dirk to get the ball, so they can crowd him and force him into that spin move to the basket. Teams are just too confident against the Mavs. Thats why we have the hardest time against mediocre teams like Hornets, Wizards, Hawks, Raptors, and GS. .
anyone that lists the team with the second best record in the west(by half a game) as being mediocre, doesnt deserve to be listened too. Not to mention the warriors.

also here were dirks numbers for january(the last 14 games before the pistons game)
24.2 ppg-8.5rpg-3.6apg-1.5bpg-.7spg on 53% shooting, 39% 3pt shooting and 93% ft shooting while averaging only 1.9 topg. thats pretty damn supermanish.

in short, you sir are just an idiot and a hater.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
By the way, lets flip the script for a second. I think someone else is posing as a Superman for quite a while this season!!!!!!! Yet, the blame goes on our 3 or 4th best player on the team.
who are you talking about?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
You are out of your mind. Dirk may be the most derided superstar out there. Not only the national media, but his local media and you (and many others on this board). Not to mention other nuthead message boards.
Actually, Dirk MAY be the MOST overrated Superstar here in the local area. You just added to my viewpoint by saying the National and local media agrees as well as some of us here.

So, I guess all of us is wrong, but the Pro-Dirk backers here is right about Dirk? Come on, you can do better than that. Nobody in their right mind will say Dirk does NOT deserve this negative talk. Now, if you say for all he has done, then he should not get as much, then I can somewhat agree. But, Dirk is given too much credit here, and not enough blame. If the Mavs do great, it is because of Dirk. If the Mavs are doing bad, and Dirk is doing bad, then it is Jet and Avery fault. Cant have it both ways. You get the good with the bad when you are the so called Superstar and one of the highest paid players in the WORLD.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #32
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Silk, you know I agree with you that Jet has the ability to be good. He just lacks effort, that's my problem. When Harris has a bad game, he usually is still putting in 100% effort. I know and have seen with my own eyes that Terry can slash, distribute, and play solid defense (did all three of these in spurts against Denver, that is what convinced me)...he just chooses not to because he is becoming lazy and looks like he doesn't want to try. Can you explain why this is? This is why he is the 6/7th man told only to shoot when Harris is healthy because he won't do anything else. He started the season great and then plummeted to the point where he looks like he has lost simple fundamentals. I'm not rooting for Terry to be bad, but I also don't want someone detrimental to the team either. He has been positively detrimental lately and of all positions you simply can't have that at the pg position.
One simple answer. Jet is lost out there. He is being told too many things from Avery. First you want him to be Jet and score, then you want him to be the back-up PG, then the back-up SG, then you insert Eddie at SG, and now that Harris is out, you want him to be Harris. It is confusing. Jet cant be Harris. Jet can be Jet. Same thing for Harris. Harris cant be Jet. I think this is what makes them two special with the Mavs. They complement each other. Problem now is that Avery now wants Jet to be Harris. That is not going to happen because Jet is NOT going to blow by just about anyone (LOL). Then also Avery has been back in the mode of leading the offense with play calling with Harris in, but now that Jet has to take the lead, Avery is still barking out plays. Jet cant stand that, so you get even more ball pounding by Jet. Right now, JJ would be a better fit at the starting PG slot, and let Jet be Jet.

Avery is talking out both sides of his mouth with too many players. I remember when Hassel could not even get more than 4 seconds on the court at one time. Now, he gets alot of minutes, while George gets nothing. Go figure..Now add the fact, that now Diop does not have a clue on what he is suppose to do. In the early part of the season, Diop got alot of minutes and knew his role. Right now he does not have a clue.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
One simple answer. Jet is lost out there. He is being told too many things from Avery. First you want him to be Jet and score, then you want him to be the back-up PG, then the back-up SG, then you insert Eddie at SG, and now that Harris is out, you want him to be Harris. It is confusing. Jet cant be Harris. Jet can be Jet. Same thing for Harris. Harris cant be Jet. I think this is what makes them two special with the Mavs. They complement each other. Problem now is that Avery now wants Jet to be Harris. That is not going to happen because Jet is NOT going to blow by just about anyone (LOL). Then also Avery has been back in the mode of leading the offense with play calling with Harris in, but now that Jet has to take the lead, Avery is still barking out plays. Jet cant stand that, so you get even more ball pounding by Jet. Right now, JJ would be a better fit at the starting PG slot, and let Jet be Jet.

Avery is talking out both sides of his mouth with too many players. I remember when Hassel could not even get more than 4 seconds on the court at one time. Now, he gets alot of minutes, while George gets nothing. Go figure..Now add the fact, that now Diop does not have a clue on what he is suppose to do. In the early part of the season, Diop got alot of minutes and knew his role. Right now he does not have a clue.
so essentially your point is avery is an idiot... and for once we agree.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Actually, Dirk MAY be the MOST overrated Superstar here in the local area. You just added to my viewpoint by saying the National and local media agrees as well as some of us here.

So, I guess all of us is wrong, but the Pro-Dirk backers here is right about Dirk? Come on, you can do better than that. Nobody in their right mind will say Dirk does NOT deserve this negative talk. Now, if you say for all he has done, then he should not get as much, then I can somewhat agree. But, Dirk is given too much credit here, and not enough blame. If the Mavs do great, it is because of Dirk. If the Mavs are doing bad, and Dirk is doing bad, then it is Jet and Avery fault. Cant have it both ways. You get the good with the bad when you are the so called Superstar and one of the highest paid players in the WORLD.
No you knucklehead, what I'm saying is that dirk gets PLENTY of negative talk. It's actually imo pretty putrid how much negative talk he gets. You actually may be right about dirk (I don't think so) but saying he doesn't get ragged on is ridiculous.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #35
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
No you knucklehead, what I'm saying is that dirk gets PLENTY of negative talk. It's actually imo pretty putrid how much negative talk he gets. You actually may be right about dirk (I don't think so) but saying he doesn't get ragged on is ridiculous.
No, what I am saying is that what Dirk gets from us is well deserved on the negative side, and what he gets on the positive side is well deserved as well. In the end, I just feel Dirk is not the right piece for the current make-up of this team. I HOPE I am wrong, but just as I start to get back to seeing the worth of Dirk, I see games like the other day that reminds me what it is like with Dirk in the playoffs these last three years.

I am not saying one game gets me off of Dirk, but we are reminded of the blueprint to beat a Dirk led mavs team. I am a huge fan of Dirk off the court, and I think he is one of the coolest players off the court. Laid back and easy going. As a fan of the Mavs and NBA, I have alot of issues with Dirk when it counts on the court. I would love Dirk on the court, if we had a Kobe type of player here, but we dont.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #36
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
so essentially your point is avery is an idiot... and for once we agree.
I will say he has idiot tendacies
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #37
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This message is hidden because Silk Smoov is on your ignore list.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Amazing how little bullshit I read on this site these days...

(seriously - Dirk is overrated & JET is underrated?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #38
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
No, what I am saying is that what Dirk gets from us is well deserved on the negative side, and what he gets on the positive side is well deserved as well. In the end, I just feel Dirk is not the right piece for the current make-up of this team. I HOPE I am wrong, but just as I start to get back to seeing the worth of Dirk, I see games like the other day that reminds me what it is like with Dirk in the playoffs these last three years.

I am not saying one game gets me off of Dirk, but we are reminded of the blueprint to beat a Dirk led mavs team. I am a huge fan of Dirk off the court, and I think he is one of the coolest players off the court. Laid back and easy going. As a fan of the Mavs and NBA, I have alot of issues with Dirk when it counts on the court. I would love Dirk on the court, if we had a Kobe type of player here, but we dont.
Well whether he is or whether he isn't, he's not going anywhere because you just don't trade guys like that, that aren't cancers. I for one thinks he's awesome, gives us an opportunity to win every game.

And the coach seems to feel he's playing better than ever, but what does he know.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #39
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Well whether he is or whether he isn't, he's not going anywhere because you just don't trade guys like that, that aren't cancers. I for one thinks he's awesome, gives us an opportunity to win every game.

And the coach seems to feel he's playing better than ever, but what does he know.
OOh, how did I 4get about your double standards. Now, you want to compliment Avery because he is saying Dirk is playing well, and that he should know because he is the coach?

So, when Avery is saying this team lacks a leader, a backbone, that killer instinct player and whatnots, he is stupid? Just like I thought. You like Avery as long as he is saying the right things you want to hear about Dirk.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #40
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
OOh, how did I 4get about your double standards. Now, you want to compliment Avery because he is saying Dirk is playing well, and that he should know because he is the coach?

So, when Avery is saying this team lacks a leader, a backbone, that killer instinct player and whatnots, he is stupid? Just like I thought. You like Avery as long as he is saying the right things you want to hear about Dirk.
Confused, confused, confused is right. I don't care about avery saying things about dirk, I care about avery coaching worth a durn.

My point in bringing it up was to combat your assertion that dirk needs to be traded. In other words he's going nowhere. And one of the reasons is that the COACH thinks he's playing better than ever, why would he trade him.

I refute you assertion of backbone, etc. Dirk plays his guts out, he doesn't get up and scream and make faces like many do. He doesnt' run down the court like an idiot screaming to no one in particular that "he can't guard me".

He just goes out there, works his tail off everynight. He only scores more, rebounds more, second in assits, minutes. He gets banged up more than anyone not named harris. He takes it into the paint, he battles the bigs, he's a stud.

You are a dud.