Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Finishing

Again, a thread that is only basketball...no conspiracy here.

Last nights game was frustrating. They did well to compete due to the jump shots going in...they kept it close due to taking it inside and forcing the foul calls.

The Lakers did the same thing...and in the finail minute...the Mavs crumbled. They finished weak, like they were shocked to even be in a position to maybe sneak in a win.

The Mavs simply fell apart.

They build up these leads and then piss them away. Still after however many years of being extremely competitive have not learned how to kick a team when they are down.

When push came to shove and the Lakers needed to man up and play physical, the mavs simply gave in.

I truly question the character of these players? Do they have any fight in them that can carry them over the elite teams...so far they have NOT shown it.

For as inspiring as Dirk was...he blew it when it counted. His turnover cost the Mavs the game at the end.

Why can't our guys do a bit of what Odom did? He used his body, his arms...everything he had with no-calls and simply out muscled the Mavs...meanwhile our Mavs simply backed down.

This team and these players need to learn how to finish STRONG or they will be finished period.

This loss falls squarely on the Players!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

But they have been able to finish in the past, these same players so why not now? Also to think you are going to just crush a quality opponent like this on their floor is irrational to me.

Thirdly...they HAVE been crushing teams who they are clearly better than but just not finishing off quality teams.

There's something wrong here as well, but your intimation that it's somehow related to the "character" of the players blows imo.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

On defense, the Mavericks were vunerable. It came down to in the last minutes, everyone knew the Lakers were going to score, the question was if the Mavericks could retaliate. When they didn't, they lost the game.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Movie Phone

Movie Phone will become famous soon enough

it's very frustrating. you can just tell we are on the verge. i know you can't say that everytime. but gosh. we are sooooo close. do you guys know what i'm saying? i'm trying to take some solace from the loss. i know it was another close loss...but whatever. 2 things---better execution down the stretch and more contribution from the bench. we get those two things, we win this game. SO CLOSE. but i like where we stand. lets get in the playoffs..
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Avery makes stupid decisions. The team unravels. I'd like to get rid of Avery and his stupid decisions, and then see if the team still unravels. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. I'd like to find out though.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

it's more difficult to finish now because all our key opponents are much better than they used to be. we're just not a step up on everyone like we used to be.

Wednesday morning, Barnes was home (apparently with his kids) when he read the quote and responded on twitter.

"Morning yall up early w/ the babies watchn Dora. Seems Lamar can't keep my name out his mouth maby I need 2 put my sons (expletive) diaper n it"
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the Mavs failing to attack the basket at the end of games is because they are convinced they will not get the call. If true, that's a bad mindset to have during crunch time.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

They actually did get the call last night. I thought that that was about the best-officiated game I have seen in a while. For the most part, the refs let them play. Down the stretch, the officials actually called some fouls on the Lakers when they were too aggressive defensively. The Mavs just failed to execute offensively and had a few players who looked really tired due to heavy minutes (Josh looked exhausted). I am very proud of their effort. They controlled the tempo, but the Lakers stepped up defensively in the second half. Odom was out of his mind. He shows up competitively in about 10% of their games, so I feel good that we were able to keep it close with one of their marginal players playing so far above his head. I saw no problems in relation to coaching decisions last night, but I am sure that there are those who do, as they always seem to.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

mavs suck. they know the season is already on the line and they still cant win. what makes us think they can win in the playoffs. that it, if they can even make it.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma
They actually did get the call last night. I thought that that was about the best-officiated game I have seen in a while. For the most part, the refs let them play. Down the stretch, the officials actually called some fouls on the Lakers when they were too aggressive defensively. The Mavs just failed to execute offensively and had a few players who looked really tired due to heavy minutes (Josh looked exhausted). I am very proud of their effort. They controlled the tempo, but the Lakers stepped up defensively in the second half. Odom was out of his mind. He shows up competitively in about 10% of their games, so I feel good that we were able to keep it close with one of their marginal players playing so far above his head. I saw no problems in relation to coaching decisions last night, but I am sure that there are those who do, as they always seem to.
I agree, I thought the officials were really solid last night.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Movie Phone

Movie Phone will become famous soon enough

kobe still got some lame calls with the game on the line...its ridiculous..its like we were helpless. we knew exactly what he was going to do and he'd still get the call
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #12
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

LOL..for some reason this made me think it said "FISHING"....i dont think the Mavs will be doin that anytime soon ; )

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #13
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
LOL..for some reason this made me think it said "FISHING"....i dont think the Mavs will be doin that anytime soon ; )
Same here
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

always 2nd half!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

BUMP

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

FACIAL!!

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 04-06-2008 at 07:36 PM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter