Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
enervate

enervate will become famous soon enough
Default SAVE THE NBA! SPREAD THIS POST!

Given the fact that a vast majority of fans now believe that the NBA officials can not be trusted, we have decided to make it as easy as possible for you to contact your local congressman in order to urge them to call for congressional hearings into the matter.

If you truly care about the game and want to feel secure in knowing that situations like the Donaghy case and his accusations are no longer part of professional basketball, we the fans need to take matters into our own hands and contact our congressional representatives for hearings into the matter.

Remember. No matter how forthright the NBA claims it is being with us, it was the FBI who discovered the improprieties involving the refs- not the NBA! We can not trust that the league will objectively investigate and fix the problems we have all perceived all these years. And if congress can spend time and energy cleaning up baseball and steroids, then it should certainly look into the possibility of tampering by NBA officials.

Below is a sample text that you can submit to your rep by clicking on the link below. Feel free to add your own thoughts.

I am writing today first as a consumer and second as a fan of the NBA. I care about the sport, but am very concerned that league officials have lost their sense of impartiality and professionalism. It is important that you help us regain our trust in the commercial sports performances that have been severely broken recently. Frankly, the officiating has been broken a long time. In which other sport do fans worry that involvement by the referees will end up determining the outcome of key games more then they do in the NBA?
It's time to launch an official investigation now, during a time when the public's confidence is shaken by headlines reporting the breach of trust by corporate executives. You must help us find a maintained a sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports. I and other NBA fans urge you to order a review of the game's officiating, perceptions and suspicions, however presently absent any evidence, will abound. I look forward to your response and action on my behalf.

Take a couple of minutes and submit your letter to your local representative here:

https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

And don't forget to spread this message everywhere! Be it via e-mail, by posting it on other forums or voting for it on the social networks where it appears. The time is now to fix this league!
enervate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Before I spread that around everywhere, I'd be sure to take care of the two or three sentences that just do not parse.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

"Below is a sample text that you can submit to your rep by clicking on the link below. Feel free to add your own thoughts.

I am writing today first as a consumer and second as a fan of the NBA. I care about the sport, but am very concerned that league officials have lost their sense of impartiality and professionalism. It is important that you help us regain our trust in the commercial sports performances that have been severely broken recently. Frankly, the officiating has been broken a long time. In which other sport do fans worry that involvement by the referees will end up determining the outcome of key games more then they do in the NBA?
It's time to launch an official investigation now, during a time when the public's confidence is shaken by headlines reporting the breach of trust by corporate executives. You must help us find a maintained a sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports. I and other NBA fans urge you to order a review of the game's officiating, perceptions and suspicions, however presently absent any evidence, will abound. I look forward to your response and action on my behalf."

I bolded the areas that are poorly written, gramatical errors, errors in content accuracy, etc.

The above is hard to take seriously especially with the phrase "however presently absent any evidence, will abound".
It sounds like we are asking for the Congress of the USA to get involved because we think there is a problem but we admit that we have no proof of anything...

So, I have to wonder if the above is a joke. If not a joke, then consider the following wording:

Below is a sample text that you can submit to your rep by clicking on the link below. Feel free to add your own thoughts.

I am writing today first as a consumer and second as a fan of the NBA. I care about the sport, but am very concerned that league officials have lost their sense of impartiality and professionalism. It is important to help us regain our trust in the commercial sports performances that have been severely broken recently. Frankly, the officiating has been broken a long time. In which other sport do fans worry that involvement by the referees will end up determining the outcome of key games more then they do in the NBA?
It's time to launch an official investigation now, during a time when the public's confidence is shaken by headlines reporting the breach of trust by referees (wherein allegations are made of higher tampering and influence from league officials). It is important that we find a maintained sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports. I and other NBA fans urge you to order a review of the game's officiating as related to the perceptions and suspicions of the fans which concerns are now greatly magnified due to the news of demonstrated tampering and illegal betting and fixing of games. I look forward to your response and action on my behalf.

Now, it sounds reasonable.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wmbwinn; 06-14-2008 at 09:36 AM.
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by enervate
Given the fact that a vast majority of fans now believe that the NBA officials can not be trusted, we have decided to make it as easy as possible for you to contact your local congressman in order to urge them to call for congressional hearings into the matter.

If you truly care about the game and want to feel secure in knowing that situations like the Donaghy case and his accusations are no longer part of professional basketball, we the fans need to take matters into our own hands and contact our congressional representatives for hearings into the matter.

Remember. No matter how forthright the NBA claims it is being with us, it was the FBI who discovered the improprieties involving the refs- not the NBA! We can not trust that the league will objectively investigate and fix the problems we have all perceived all these years. And if congress can spend time and energy cleaning up baseball and steroids, then it should certainly look into the possibility of tampering by NBA officials.

It's time to launch an official investigation now, during a time when the public's confidence is shaken by headlines reporting the breach of trust by corporate executives. You must help us find a maintained a sense of impartiality and professionalism in commercial sports. I and other NBA fans urge you to order a review of the game's officiating, perceptions and suspicions, however presently absent any evidence, will abound. I look forward to your response and action on my behalf.

Take a couple of minutes and submit your letter to your local representative here:

https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

And don't forget to spread this message everywhere! Be it via e-mail, by posting it on other forums or voting for it on the social networks where it appears. The time is now to fix this league!
I'll be sure to do that right after we exit Iraq, gas is under $2, the national debt is paid off, the budget is balanced and we no longer need to use foreign oil.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a joke?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Well if the Government can get involved with spygate why not this? This is direct cheating, spygate is stealing signal calls which hardly leads to victories all by itself. And say what you want about Donaghy but what reason did he have to lie about the NBA? If proven to be a liar he'd just serve more time in jail. But Stern is doing a good job of getting people to blindly believe him that Donaghy is a single rogue. Personally I don't trust Stern at all.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Well if the Government can get involved with spygate why not this? This is direct cheating, spygate is stealing signal calls which hardly leads to victories all by itself. And say what you want about Donaghy but what reason did he have to lie about the NBA? If proven to be a liar he'd just serve more time in jail. But Stern is doing a good job of getting people to blindly believe him that Donaghy is a single rogue. Personally I don't trust Stern at all.
I don't think they should have been involved in spygate either. If Arlen Spector was your Senator, you would have already gotten your wish.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe we should leave the government out of this and instead let our voices as consumers be heard by the NBA itself. It's always about business, and if this makes the NBA lose business, they'll start to change. The government already regulates too many things it has no business regulating.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

UM.~~~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

exactly horse..... exactly
Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing anyone should be writing their congressman about is this: "Drill for domestic oil, mother @#$%^&"
Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

What about the baby seals!?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The only thing anyone should be writing their congressman about is this: "Drill for domestic oil, mother @#$%^&"
Decoded and Translated:

Dear Congressperson, whose benevolent existence is like a mother to us all:

Please kindly drill for domestic oil @ the "pound," which is where this civilized nation has allowed all the wild animals to congregate. We know that we can drill without hurting these animals, and drilling now will allow us to pay a mere % of the current $ of oil. And, this will save us from such atrocities as carrot ethanol, which will soon come to rob us of even affordable beta carotene and rabbit meat.

Thank you,
Flacolaco

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 06-16-2008 at 06:03 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote