Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Q&A with Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle

11:24 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 9, 2008
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

During his first two head coaching jobs, Rick Carlisle took over franchises and immediately made them better.

In 2001, he joined a Detroit team that had won 32 games the previous year and engineered a 50-32 record as a rookie coach. In Indiana in 2004, Carlisle inherited a Pacers team that won 48 games in Isiah Thomas' last season as coach. They went 61-21 when Carlisle took over.

In the Mavericks, Carlisle takes over a team that won 67 games two years ago and 51 last season, when Avery Johnson was fired.

There is no guarantee that the Mavericks will have the same sort of upgrade under Carlisle that the teams in his previous coaching stops enjoyed. But he clearly knows how to maximize talent while taking over on the fly.

With the Sept. 29 opening of training camp fast approaching, Carlisle engaged in a question and answer session to preview the 2007-08 Mavericks.

Have you had a chance to talk to Dirk Nowitzki since he led Germany to the Olympics?

I did, and he said it was a great experience getting there. They would have liked to have played a little better. They played hard, they just weren't quite good enough. But for him and that team, it was really a great accomplishment getting there.

How is your team, physically, heading into camp?

Right now, everything is good. There were a few things over the summer that had to be resolved. Brandon (Bass) had a thing with his right shoulder that didn't require surgery. He's made the kind of progress that they believed he would make. So he's here now working out. Everybody else has been good. JJ (Barea) has a little minor back thing, but that should be OK in a couple days.

What did you think of the Houston Rockets trading for Ron Artest, who was on some of your most successful teams at Indiana?

It's a significant move because he's an impact player. It's easy to see why expectations are going to be sky high there with that trio of stars (Artest, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming) and a real good supporting cast. It just makes this division a little tougher.

As if you needed that, right?

If you turn up the water from 220 degrees to 235 degrees, it's still boiling. It's just boiling a little hotter.

It's the kind of thing where you've got to avoid looking at the schedule. I'm just really concentrating on our team now and the things we need to do to prepare these guys to go to war. We don't plan on taking a backseat to anybody. We're coming into this thing trying to win it just like everybody else.

What would you consider a quality season for the Mavericks?

I have never put a number on any of that stuff. Maybe you're setting the bar too low. You never know. So for us, it's going to be about competing at a championship level and at the highest possible level and competing our best. If we do that, then the number of wins will take care of itself.

I'm not coming in here trying to set the bar low or anything like that. I don't think you come into a city like Dallas or a franchise like this or to an owner like Mark Cuban trying to curtail expectations. I just think that's sending the wrong message to everybody.

What kind of style will fans see when the season tips off Oct. 30?

Our strength is obviously going to be our trio of top players with Dirk, Jason Kidd and Josh (Howard). And I'd also put Jason Terry and (Jerry) Stackhouse into that mix because those are veteran guys who have been through the wars. I expect those guys to play big for us.

Our center position is terrific. We've got a strength in numbers situation along with some terrific players. We're going to have to perform well in close games. That's an area where, two years ago, the Mavericks won seemingly every close game, and last year there was a falloff. There's a fine line between 67 wins and 51 wins. But that's the way it is. We're going to be in a lot of tight games, and we're going to have to be able to finish.

You mentioned the center position. Is that starting spot open? And is the shooting guard spot open, too?

Possibly. I think we have to look at it and say Jason Kidd, Dirk and Josh are going to be starters. There are possibilities at the other spots. I don't think it's fair to say right now that we've penciled anybody in.

I love the fact that Stackhouse has embraced being a part of this franchise as one of the best sixth men in the game. And I know he's willing to continue to do that. But there's also a chance that maybe he should start. I don't think any kind of prognostication on my part at this point is fair. That's why you have training camp, to figure those things out.

And the centers?

(Erick) Dampier is a damn good starting center in this league. He really is. And (DeSagana) Diop is a guy who would start on a lot of teams, as well. That's a great battle, and that position is going to be one of the strengths of our team.

If you're going to be a championship-caliber team, defense and rebounding are critical. They are things that are often overlooked to a certain degree. No one has won the NBA championship playing small ball yet. There are teams that have won it that have the ability to go small. But you still have to have size to compete at the highest level. That's why Dampier and Diop, that's why we value those guys so much.

The only reference point fans have for Jason Kidd is how he struggled in Avery Johnson's offense. At 35, has his age caught up to him?

Jason Kidd? I'm ecstatic to be in the same locker room with J-Kidd. Jason has hammered my teams so much through the years. I'll say this: If people want to doubt his abilities, let them go ahead. But I would caution them against it. You should never underestimate greatness.

Do you expect this roster to be the one that opens the season?

Yeah, unless there was some kind of a trade, which I doubt there will be. We've got 14 contracts, so we got a 15th spot that we may look at. Maybe some other veteran will fall through the cracks. Or maybe we keep a young player. But this is it for now.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting article. Carlisle sounds like a man on a mission.

It just got me excited.... just a tad.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

Holy generic answers Batman!
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I will take a former player and veteran coach's opinion on Jason Kidd:

"I'll say this: If people want to doubt his abilities, let them go ahead.
But I would caution them against it. You should never underestimate greatness."

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereaper
Holy generic answers Batman!

I don't get it. What do you want from him?

I didn't like to hear that Stack could start, that annoys me severely. May the best man win the starting SG spot. (Wright)

I did like that Damp isn't exactly the starter either.

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-10-2008 at 10:30 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

I probably shouldn't take too much out of these incredibly generic answers, but Coach made way too many references to Jerry Stackhouse as someone to be relied upon.

Given his performance/injury history over the last two years and his increasing age, the thought of Stack starting, or even being the sixth man, gives me serious indigestion.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

There was bit about his ouster in Detroit. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was Avery again. But the owner said he had lost the players. Seemed communication became the problem. I think he's already reached out to Dirk, Kidd, Jet. I like that he and Dirk were walking ball at Dirk's place and Cuban and Nelson were starving.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiMav
I probably shouldn't take too much out of these incredibly generic answers, but Coach made way too many references to Jerry Stackhouse as someone to be relied upon.
Avery's back?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post number KidKArma
Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Ouch! Talk about Oldest back court in the league: two 35 year olds.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007
I don't get it. What do you want from him?

I didn't like to hear that Stack could start, that annoys me severely. May the best man win the starting SG spot. (Wright)

I did like that Damp isn't exactly the starter either.

I feel like Damp plays so much better though when he is fighting for that top dog spot.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber
Do you expect this roster to be the one that opens the season?

Yeah, unless there was some kind of a trade, which I doubt there will be. We've got 14 contracts, so we got a 15th spot that we may look at. Maybe some other veteran will fall through the cracks. Or maybe we keep a young player. But this is it for now.
I knew folks were reading too much into RC's early comments when they asserted that he clearly intended major shake-ups.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I like everything I am hearing here. I think Stack will still be huge for us, but I think Rick will use him better then Avery. Stacks still got a role on this team..and if Jet is the 6th mann then Stack will prolly be 7th. But from what i got out of this It seems like Jet will be the starter at 2..because he mentions that Stack is willing to stay in the 6th man role. I dont mind that, but I wouldnt mind Wright getting a few starts or more minutes either. But it can all be done in a lot of different combos, which is one good thing about all this. I think we have a good balance of young middle and old, unlike last season.

Umm and yee wer goin all the wayyyyyyyyy GO MAVS

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to watch Jason Kidd this year.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I can't wait to watch Jason Kidd this year.

I hear you mann..cant waitt. It will be even more fun as he proves the haters wrong while doing it.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #16
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber
Jason Kidd? I'm ecstatic to be in the same locker room with J-Kidd. Jason has hammered my teams so much through the years. I'll say this: If people want to doubt his abilities, let them go ahead. But I would caution them against it. You should never underestimate greatness.
hell freakin' yeah!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #17
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

I love the line.."you should never underestimate greatness"

........GO MAVS
Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #18
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Can't wait to see what the Mavericks are capable of shocking us this season. Cmon!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Can't wait to see what the Mavericks are capable of shocking us this season. Cmon!

Shock on!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-11-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

come on, UD--let's keep it Mavericks related

shocker!

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 09-11-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #21
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Avery's back?

I can't believe people are getting excited to see this same squad come out and perform. We might have new coach, but we still have an out-house of a team. With generic Rick on board, I can't wait to miss the playoffs!!!

I'll be excited when I actually see the changes in November, if they ever come.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad this dreadful offseason is almost over with.

For good or bad, this team seems to be living in the past.

Carlisle can't possibly be serious that Stackhouse can still contribute the way he once did.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #23
alby
Guru

With Jason Kidd as our PG, Stackhouse will be pretty proficient at the 2 IMO.

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #24
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
With Jason Kidd as our PG, Stackhouse will be pretty proficient at the 2 IMO.
Thats actually something I hadn't considered. One of Stack's main deficits, especially in his old age, is creating for himself. With JKidd, he shouldn't need to do that as often. I actually trust his shot a fair amount when he gets the ball in a good position.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #25
alby
Guru

It's all about mindset with Stack. If you look at the end of the season.. sure, he looks older and a step slower.. but he was still dunking on people when he wanted to. As long as Dirk and Terry are doing most of the outside shooting with the occasional 3-ball from Kidd, Stack and Josh should be slashing left and right with this maestro we have at PG.

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #26
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Stack's one guy that I'm not terribly optimistic about. He definitely needs to get his minutes cut back. He just can't handle the grind of playing in the mid-to-high 20s as a 6th man.

The notion of getting him in the game to start, when he's warmed up, has some appeal to me, as long as he can play at a high-enough level (by which I mean turning back the clock just a couple years) in his on-court time, which I'm not convinced he can do. Still, if he can, you've got balance, and everybody but the center has at least a spot or two behind the arc where they can hit at a percentage that can help you out.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #27
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Stack isn't done yet, I don't think. I worry about his age and the miles he's got, but he can still play. I swear, he was just another example of a player being misused by Avery Johnson last year. Carlisle will utilize his skills better.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #28
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Stack isn't done yet, I don't think. I worry about his age and the miles he's got, but he can still play. I swear, he was just another example of a player being misused by Avery Johnson last year. Carlisle will utilize his skills better.
Thats what I said

........GO MAVS
Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #29
alby
Guru

http://www.hulu.com/watch/17509/nba-...-ot#s-p2-so-i1

late in the season

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #30
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

A statistical summary of my concerns about Stackhouse:

04/05: .45
05/06: .37
06/07: .33
07/08: .28

What are those numbers, you ask? That's his free throw attempts per field goal attempt through his time as a Mav, and its been dropping like a stone.

Now, to be fair, his true shooting percentage hasn't shown the same decline, so give him credit for maintaining his efficiency levels fairly well even while the way he's getting his points has been changing.

Still, I defended Kidd last week by noting that the statistical profile that's defined him throughout his career has held up remarkably well through his supposed decline. Stack's ability to get to the line has always been his calling card. Without it he doesn't bring a whole heck of a lot to the table. And unlike Kidd, he's got his work cut out for him to prove he's not lost the thing that made him special.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 09-11-2008 at 07:15 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with grnmstr. If Stack provides other things besides throwing up bricks then I'm on board. Anyone at any age can chuck it up. The key will be to see if Stack provides anything else.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #32
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c

What are those numbers, you ask? That's his free throw attempts per field goal attempt through his time as a Mav, and its been dropping like a stone.

Now, to be fair, his true shooting percentage hasn't shown the same decline, so give him credit for maintaining his efficiency levels fairly well even while the way he's getting his points has been changing.

Still, I defended Kidd last week by noting that the statistical profile that's defined him throughout his career has held up remarkably well through his supposed decline. Stack's ability to get to the line has always been his calling card. Without it he doesn't bring a whole heck of a lot to the table. And unlike Kidd, he's got his work cut out for him to prove he's not lost the thing that made him special.
Why do you care how he gets the shots? As long as he is still getting the ball in the basket, shouldn't that be enough? 2 points is 2 points, no matter where it comes from.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
Why do you care how he gets the shots? As long as he is still getting the ball in the basket, shouldn't that be enough? 2 points is 2 points, no matter where it comes from.
Well, I think one could argue that a level TS% with a declining free throw attempt ratio is not really sustainable. At some point the bottom is going to completely fall out of his performance. Soon.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #34
SMC0007
Guru

Off with his head.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #35
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
For one thing, Stack's never been all that efficient, so when I point out that he hasn't fallen off in that respect I'm really only saying that a very average aspect of his game is still very average. And it's not like he compensates for his mediocre efficiency with great defense, rebounding or passing, either.

More to the point, though, I don't think 2 points are always just 2 points, particularly when we're talking about earning trips to the line. In addition to getting the other team's bigs into foul trouble and mucking up the opposition's rotation in the process, nothing turns the tide against an opposing team's run like a few hard-earned trips to the line. Stack used to do that, and he was a more valuable player for it. Without that skill, he may still be worth some minutes, but he's not a valid option as a starter or a sixth man.

I'll be pulling for him, though.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #36
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c

Geez, that probably goes with age, the older he gets, the more painful the fall, the less likely he will attack the cup.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote