Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all
Default Magic not sold on Mavs

Magic Johnson isn’t sold on the Dallas Mavericks

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/980634.html

Quote:
By RAY BUCK
rbuck@star-telegram.com

Most-read stories

* XTO, Chesapeake, others rescind high-bonus gas-drilling offers
* Bell ARH program ordered canceled; Textron's earnings drop 19 percent
* 'Joe the Plumber' doesnt have plumber's license, owes back taxes
* TCU takes dominating victory over BYU
* Antifreeze accident injures students

Most e-mailed stories

* XTO, Chesapeake, others rescind high-bonus gas-drilling offers
* Ignore those suspicious e-mails, and send them to the feds
* Bell ARH program ordered canceled; Textron's earnings drop 19 percent
* Officials: FBI investigates ACORN for voter fraud
* 'Joe the Plumber' doesn�t have plumber's license, owes back taxes

Magic Johnson believes the Dallas Mavericks could miss the playoffs for the first time in nine years.

That ball is still in the air ... and Josh Howard’s mug shot seems to be on it.

"I don’t know how long [Howard] can stay in Dallas," Johnson said. "The fans aren’t going to really tolerate a guy [like that] when you’re also losing at the same time."

Johnson, whose strong opinions and frank commentary are moving from TNT to ESPN/ABC this NBA season, emphasized he hopes Howard can overcome his latest in a series of "things that don’t make sense."

But the Magic Man holds out even less hope for the Mavs.

"To me, the biggest problem that the Dallas Mavericks have always had is that they’re not mentally tough," Johnson said on an ESPN teleconference earlier this week.

"And when you’re not mentally tough, and it comes to the playoffs ... you’re always going to lose."

That’s not a good prognosis for first-year Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle.

"If a team misses the playoffs, it’s a wasted season ... [and] that can possibly happen to Dallas," Johnson said. "How are the Mavericks going to be now that Houston is stronger with Ron Artest?

"How are the Mavericks even going to make a run for the playoffs when a lot of [Western Conference] teams got better, and I don’t think Dallas got better?"

Eight months ago, the Mavs swapped point guards — Devin Harris for Jason Kidd — as part of a blockbuster deal with New Jersey.

"That trade didn’t suit Dallas," Johnson said. "I thought Devin Harris was really a key to what the Mavs were trying to do. When they had that three-headed monster at guard — Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris — they were tough to beat."

The Kidd trade last February came on the heels of the Lakers acquiring Pau Gasol from Memphis and the Suns acquiring Shaquille O’Neal from Miami.

"I think Dallas just reacted to everyone else making trades," Johnson said. "To me, [the Mavericks] are reactors instead of being an organization that sticks to the plan. ... Young players need to blossom."

After seven years at TNT, Johnson joins Stuart Scott, Michael Wilbon and Jon Barry on NBA Countdown on ABC, beginning Christmas Day.

Avery Johnson also joins ESPN/ABC as a studio analyst. The former Mavs coach will be paired with Bill Walton on ESPN’s NBA Shootaround pregame show.

Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve: Rapper/actor Chris "Ludacris" Bridges regrets that he left Adam "Pacman" Jones’ side before the ill-fated scuffle between Jones and his bodyguard at a Dallas hotel last week.

Bridges, who co-stars with Mark Wahlberg in the new movie, Max Payne, held a party that Jones attended.

"I was kickin’ it with him like the whole entire night," Bridges told ESPN’s Mike & Mike in the Morning. "Maybe I should’ve stayed with him a little bit longer. ... Then none of this would’ve happened.

"He’s chill, he’s cool when he’s around me."

Maybe Jerry Jones should’ve hired Bridges.
Ray Buck, 817-390-7760
This is one of those articles that everybody should hang up in the back of their lockers and look at each day before and after practice.

Granted.. some players should have more than just this hanging in the back of their locker.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sold either.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would fight Magic right now.

He needs to just go and enjoy another bowl of HighV!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Magic has proven over the years that when it comes to being a basketball mind and commentator, ......he sure was a great player.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

... And we care about Magic's opinion because???

Call me crazy if u want, but I say we're as good as anybody in the west.

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

A few years ago he and Ainge went at it during in studio commentary.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdubya View Post
... And we care about Magic's opinion because???

Call me crazy if u want, but I say we're as good as anybody in the west.
Bingo

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Never listen to Magic Johnson unless he's talking about blowing up the Death Star.

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/fa...-harvest/magic

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

and we wonder why people that aren't mavs fans think we suck when people that supposedly know about basketball (like magic) say this stuff. why is he even talking about the mavs? he should just keep his mouth shut.

that's not to say that to an extent he is right. i'm not totally sold yet either. and i still think the devin harris for jason kidd trade was a mistake. but i highly doubt we'll miss the playoffs. and i'm so tired of people saying the mavs aren't mentally tough....
Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Bingo
See, that's the problem man... so many of these "experts" are looking at the teams on paper. Where's the effort in that?

If the paper actually held up on court (no pun intended), then Houston would've went 82-0 last year and won the championship, & the lakers wouldn't even make the playoffs judging from their 'Paper' this time last year.

In short, it's all just a bunch of bs.

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

.....who picked the Hornets last year? Me hiding behind a computer can project the Jazz, Suns, Spurs, Lakers, Rockets, Hornets, Mavs and Blazers with Denver and GSW outside looking in......yea, blahblahblah. I think Denver's taken a huge step backwards losing Camby and not getting a viable replacement.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Who's selling and who's buying?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Magic Johnson would take his AIDS elsewhere and get out of the public eye...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW Thats harsh but totally called for......kinda where I was headed earlier
Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #15
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

From The Onion:

June 05, 2008
Magic Johnson Shares 'Thoughts' On Lakers-Celtics Finals

BOSTON—Appearing on ESPN's SportsCenter Wednesday, former Lakers point guard Magic Johnson provided his "thoughts," "insights," and "analysis" of the NBA Finals matchup between the Lakers and the Celtics, assuring viewers that the series will hinge on "whoever team does its things better more." "I think this, I think, this is really going to come down to basically overall game play and which team can win four or five games, and do it first," said the three-time NBA MVP, adding that scoring could also be as much of a major factor on the outcome as total points. "There's also a possible definite possibility of matchups occurring. Could happen, yeah. And we can't overlook the influence that—that that effect or effects, might have on something." When pressed by SportsCenter anchor Rece Davis as to which team was favored, Johnson responded by saying "the one that's going to win...Win the NBA championship."
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That ball is still in the air ... and Josh Howard’s mug shot seems to be on it.
I love when articles start out with things that never happened - love or hate Josh Howard, the man has NEVER been arrested...

Quote:
"To me, the biggest problem that the Dallas Mavericks have always had is that they’re not mentally tough," Johnson said on an ESPN teleconference earlier this week.

"And when you’re not mentally tough, and it comes to the playoffs ... you’re always going to lose."
We weren't mentally tough when we beat the Spurs & Suns to get to the Finals in '06???

I guess it was dumb luck...

Although, I've heard that the NBA is too competitive for a team to simply "luck" their way into the Finals (but it was Pat Riley who said that - what does he know about basketball compared to Magic Johnson???)

Quote:
"That trade didn’t suit Dallas," Johnson said. "I thought Devin Harris was really a key to what the Mavs were trying to do. When they had that three-headed monster at guard — Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris — they were tough to beat."
Jerry Stackhouse??? This is proof that Magic hasn't watched a Mavs game (or Stackhouse) for the past 3 years...

Quote:
"I think Dallas just reacted to everyone else making trades," Johnson said. "To me, [the Mavericks] are reactors instead of being an organization that sticks to the plan. ... Young players need to blossom."
How many years do you wait for "young players" to blossom while your SUPERSTAR is slipping past his prime??? If we kept Devin, then we should have traded Dirk...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Magic has proven over the years that when it comes to being a basketball mind and commentator, ......he sure was a great player.
I'm trying to rep you for this, but the rep-inator seems to be malfunctioning.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I'm trying to rep you for this, but the rep-inator seems to be malfunctioning.
don't worry David, I'm pretty great...you'll have plenty of opportunities.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

well, I'll agree that the mavs have not been mentally tough in their last few playoff series. GS was total mental weakness. And they just looked like they lacked heart last year.

But his examples of mental toughness is Houston?? TMac and Ming are the mentally weakest top 2 anywhere. And Ron Artest does nothing but confuse crazy with toughness.

If the problem is mental toughness, how does Harris for Kidd not help? Losing Harris hurts a team that isn't mentally tough?? The guy never looked less scared than a kitten after a dryer spin.

He is right about JHo. If that guy doesn't straighten out on the court, his off-court idiocies will be magnified, and everything will be tougher for the Mavs.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 10-17-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
don't worry David, I'm pretty great...you'll have plenty of opportunities.
I tried to rep for the same thing and ran into the same problem. Sike broke the rep-inator with greatness. < Possibly a new sig?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I tried to rep for the same thing and ran into the same problem. Sike broke the rep-inator with greatness. < Possibly a new sig?
sheesh.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

How many Trip Dubs is Kidd behind Magic?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #23
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How many Trip Dubs is Kidd behind Magic?
All-time leaders:

Oscar Robertson - 181
Magic Johnson - 138
Jason Kidd - 100
Wilt Chamberlain - 78
Larry Bird - 59

The fact that 5th place has 1/3 the amount of triple-doubles as 1st place illustrates how hard it is to achieve in the NBA...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by sike; 10-17-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: just to screw with UD
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Who would we have to aquire to become mentally tough?
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac View Post
Who would we have to aquire to become mentally tough?

This dood!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdaP0_gyQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprMX...eature=related

Last edited by SMC0007; 10-17-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not "sold on the Mavs" in terms of them being a championship caliber team, but I'm sold that they will make the playoffs.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

It seems like these analysts go out of their way to mention the Mavs. It's like to cool thing to do, diss the Mavs. If you don't hate the Mavs you're not doing your job. It seems like if we suck so bad and can't even make the playoffs we wouldn't even be worth mentioning, like the Hawks.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

Why should anyone not bleeding purple and gold care what he has to say?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot about magic once he retired. He's back? Whats going on? I noticed a full article up the page that makes no sense to me.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #30
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Magic just needs to

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #31
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I mean, is he out of line to think that? I think this Mavs team does have a lot of question marks and a lot of teams have improved coming into this season, so I'm not surprised at all that experts or whatever you'd like to call them have soured on the Mavs.

The whole "mental toughness" thing is a dumb argument why, but we just might not be as talented as some of the other top teams in the West this season.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 10-17-2008 at 09:01 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #32
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't that he thought the Mavs didn't have talent, etc. It is that he hasn't studied the Mavs enough to draw up an intelligent reason for his criticism.

It's like a 12 year old saying they hate lima beans, yet they have never tasted them. They assume they won't because it is a vegetable, they don't like vegetables, and by god their friend down the streets doesn't like them too!
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #33
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Ah, ok I get what you're saying Bayliss. And I do agree that his reasoning is dumb. I've never ever believed the mental toughness thing. Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom were considered pansies (epsecially Gasol) and they made it to the finals last season. Talent overcomes everything. Whether the Mavs have enough to hang with the big dogs this season is up to question.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Magic is being a little harsh here. Probably because of his relationship with Avery. However he's not, as some suggested, only looking at the West on paper. He's seen this team play and it wasn't that great. If we play like we did post trade we'll be close enough to the 8/9 seed that the wrong injury could push us out of the playoffs. (Actually if we're that close I hope we end up 9th or 10th while we still have our pick...but that's another discussion altogether.)

We should probably get used to this type of analysis since anyone that thinks we're a player in the West race is probably basing it on three things:

1) Avery was an inept coach and Carlisle is an above average coach
2) It was Avery's ineptitude, and not age, that rendered Kidd fairly ordinary last year
3) Either Gerald Green or Antoine Wright is going to become a starting caliber 2/3 on a good team.

Granted, those three things could indeed be true and we wouldn't be fans if we didn't believe that there was at least a chance. That being said, few people outside of Dallas believe any of it and honestly I wouldn't either if I weren't so emotionally connected to the team.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that most that actually followed the team closely can see that avery was totally inept. How much of a difference will that make? I really don't know. But, that's a reason why people take outsiders viewpoints with a huge grain of salt. They really didn't watch on a game by game basis to see just how inept AJ was...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #36
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I think Magic is being a little harsh here. Probably because of his relationship with Avery. However he's not, as some suggested, only looking at the West on paper. He's seen this team play and it wasn't that great. If we play like we did post trade we'll be close enough to the 8/9 seed that the wrong injury could push us out of the playoffs. (Actually if we're that close I hope we end up 9th or 10th while we still have our pick...but that's another discussion altogether.)
Really? When did he see this team play? In a preseason game?

Last year's team is not this year's team. Similar rosters, similar starters, but not the same team by any stretch. Now, that doesn't guarantee that this team will be much, if any, better, but a completely different coach means that any comparisons to last year are tenuous at best.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-18-2008 at 12:14 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Pundit doesnt like team x, thread made about it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Really? When did he see this team play? In a preseason game?
He saw them play last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDumb
Last year's team is not this year's team. Similar rosters, similar starters, but not the same team by any stretch. Now, that doesn't guarantee that this team will be much, if any, better, but a completely different coach means that any comparisons to last year are tenuous at best.
How differently do you look at Det. since they replaced Saunders with Curry? If you're like me not much if at all. The only reason to take a coaching change into consideration when analyzing a team is if you think the new coach is significantly better than the old one or vice versa.

I realize he hasn't seen this exact set of players with this coach but when you consider the only significant (based on accomplishments) on court addition was Diop I don't see the problem with using last years post All-Star break team to predict what this team will do. The same goes for the Lakers, the Jazz N.O. and the other Western Conference powers that didn't add and All Star caliber player. The data he's using isn't perfect but for better or worse people want to hear his opinion now.

Last edited by sike; 10-18-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: to fix the quote function
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #39
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Let's assume Magic is right and the Mavs did not make upgrades this offseason.

Well we were 7th last year, Nuggets were 8th... Warriors 9th... Blazers 10th.

Blazers have improved, Nuggets and Warriors definitely got worse. Clippers acquired Davis and Camby but lost Brand, and are probably a 35-40 win team at best.

So which TWO teams are going to leap the Mavs as far as the playoffs? Dumb, barring injuries or some sort of anomalous meltdown, the Mavs are making the playoffs (and winning a championship)
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #40
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020927[/URL]

left texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic johnson, mavericks article