Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Gym Members!!!

Alright. I'm currently in the process of looking for a good gym to join. And i use to work for a gym, and i went shopping for one a few yrs ago, so i know they like to give tours, talk about classes, take up time, blah blah blah, i want to skip that process. So could those of you who are members of a gym tell me your cost, please tell me.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked out at the YMCA over the summer, I paid about $25 a month for the 18-22 monthly pass. The Y has all sorts of weird age brackets so what I paid is probably way different from what you are going to pay, but that was the cheapest I found. Well cheapest besides the city rec, but that was filled with machines only and I like my free weights so that wasn't going to work. I'd say your best bet if you are going for a cheap membership would probably be the local YMCA.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well..where do you live?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

NC, but i'm just trying to see what ya'll are paying. It can't be that far off.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

LA Fitness is about $32 a month per person. Has a lot of classes and a ton of locations in DFW, which adds to the class flexibility. Full gym w/ everything.. I boycott weights since getting my fill of offseason in high school so I can't tell you how good the equipment is. I'm not personally into classes and the basketball courts there are crazy small (think sideline = wall), but the class flexibility is what my wife wanted. .
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh... I pay about $35.. free classes at my gym.. the classes don't really matter to me..never been a part of one. Mainly I run at the gym and use the eliptical. But, I've spent more time running outside recently, so my gym membership has been a bit of a waste.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

golds gym - $54.99 a month, what a bargain. My girlfriend pays $62 a month for golds gym. We just joined at different times...so costs vary. good luck.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

35 for LA Fitness. I tried out a 24-hour fitness but I decided to go with LA Fitness simply because it is less than 1 mile away from home. I get there in 5 minutes, no excuse to not go.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Did ya'll have to put any money down when you 1st joined? If you did, how much.

~The Salesman
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
It kind of depends on the gym and the type of membership. I was just doing a two month deal while I was in-between schools so I got billed $25 for the first month and a month later $25 for the second.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Fin, i just did something similar to you. I joined Peak Fitness. It's $25, no enrollment, no contract.

~The Salesman
Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
oh yeah. good point. A lot of times you pay the 1st and last month plus anywhere between $100 and $300 bucks. Up front. Then the monthly costs in between.

So you could pay $300-400 bucks on the spot. Also, after your year log membership is over, usually it is month to month after that.

Like i said earlier, costs vary from area you live in, to national chains of gyms/local gyms.

Costs are probably much cheaper in TX, vs. LA, DC, NY. Also, we dont have 24 hr fitness here, but i wish we did, that would be so sweet. workout whenever i wanted. I'm limited from 6am-11pm here.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
Nash13
Diamond Member

Yeah, i actually ended up joining the gym i used to work for. It's Peak Fitness, which is predominantly in the Carolinas, particularly NC. They had a special for the 1st 100 people to join where there's no enrollment fee, $25 per month. The only catch is you have to tell them 2 months in advance when you want to end payments.

The manager showed me the normal rates, and it's $200 down, $40 per month plus a $25 processing fee.

My gym is open 24hrs during the week.

~The Salesman
Old 11-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal then. I especially like the 24 hours part seeing as I kind of like to work out really late (I'm a bit of a night owl) and hate when gyms close at 9 or so.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

good work nash