Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2-2: Mavs drill the Spurs

Well....isn't that refreshing? What a difference a night makes. A sound thumping on the Spurs should pickup moral a little around here.

You know what I liked best about tonight? The Spurs picked the beginning of the fourth quarter to give their big run. Everyone watching had to be thinking "here we go again in the fourth quarter". But the Mavs gathered themselves and punched them right back in the mouth. You have to like seeing that.

Some people may write off this game as a case of the jump shots falling, but don't discount the defensive and rebounding effort the Mavs put forth tonight.

Save the video of this game and the next time someone tells you Kidd is done, that he's a liability on offense, that he can't guard quicker PG's, show them this tape. Kidd was, in my opinion, fantastic tonight. He posted, he drove, he got loose balls, he grabbed some HUGE rebounds, and he hit shots, and he bothered Parker. His line is good, and it doesn't do his night justice.

Since you're saving this video, go ahead and wait for someone to say Dirk can't get and make big shots down the stretch of a game and pull this one out again. The UberMan was really good tonight, and he was really fiery mixing it up with the dirty Oberto. That's nice to see after his zombie game last night. My one big complaint from Dirk; not enough free throws. In fact I was absolutely shocked to see the entire team only shot five free throws tonight. That's bizarre, and has to change.

You can go through Jet's entire Mav career and not find many better games than tonight. He started out on fire, went a little cold in the middle of the game, and finished strong. He went to the bucket hard and even dished out 6 assists. How often do you see Jet with 29 points and he only hit one three?

Josh's game will go largely overlooked tonight, but he reigned himself in to allow Jet to score, he shot well, rebounded great and didn't turn the ball over once. A real, real solid double double for Josh tonight.

The centers were solid tonight. The kind of night that people not paying attention will wonder why we have two non-offensive centers, but they did their jobs tonight. The rebound numbers continue to be a tad low for the centers. You have to figure Kidd affects that. But the Mavs pummeled the Spurs tonight on the board, so I guess you call that a team effort.

Carlisle made some key adjustments tonight. It's refreshing to see a coach adjust to things on a nightly basis, instead of a monthly basis. He made a move with the starting lineup that obviously paid off huge. He staggered Dirk and Kidd's bench time, and he always had at least on starter on the floor at all times (and except for one stretch in the second quarter at least two of the big four were on the court at all times). Some people were still complaining about the start of the fourth quarter, but I have no issues with Kidd and Josh playing with the second unit in that case. You can't expect Dirk to play the entire fourth quarter then carry the team offensively down the stretch if it's a close game. I just don't want Dirk on the bench for half of the fourth quarter.

Carlisle also pulled JJ and Green from the rotation tonight. I don't understand the move with Green. Stackhouse was a whopping -15 tonight and did nothing to prove that his DNP last night was a mistake.

Bass was pretty nondescript tonight. Can say the same about Wright, although he had the only positive +/- on the bench tonight.

I think if you replace Stack with Green, tonight's rotation deserves to get a long, hard look to see if it's the one to stick with.

Let's talk up a great win!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

drilled 'em eh? doggystyle?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for being the new ddh33, jthig!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
dmavs1980

dmavs1980 will become famous soon enough

mavs win and obama wins...life is good
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

whatever happened to DDH?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
dmavs1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Thanks for being the new ddh33, jthig!
Where has ddh33 been anyways?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

spursfansjumpingoffabridge.jpg

Anyone know where that picture is?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
You know what I liked best about tonight? The Spurs picked the beginning of the fourth quarter to give their big run. Everyone watching had to be thinking "here we go again in the fourth quarter". But the Mavs gathered themselves and punched them right back in the mouth. You have to like seeing that.
yep! I said something similar in the GDT.. it was by far my favorite thing to take from the game.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

For my first post, Way to go Mavs !, thought it was another heartbreaker in the forth..
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the excellent recap jthig.

So refreshing to see our beloved Mavs play a great solid game. More refreshing is the fact that the coach seems to quickly learn from his mistakes (okay, maybe a game late regarding the substitution pattern, particularly at the start of the 4th). But it was great to see at least 1 starter throughout the entire game.

Thank goodness we didn't see the midget tandem of JJB and JET. Its a match up nightmare. Nothing good will come out of that and it seems Rick has learned (I hope!).

I would have preferred a little more Green too and absolutely no Stack. In the past few games, it has become evident that when he comes in, everything falls apart. So please Rick, no more love for the beloved veteran. Give Green a little more chance please?

Kidd and Dirk were phenomenal. Dirk shot really well, although I would have preferred a few strong drives to the basket as well. Although he looked a little listless at the start of the game, his energy seemed to pick up as the game went on. Kidd's stat line doesn't do him enough justice. He did all the right plays... from those which are seen in the stat sheet to the little ones (pass leading to the assist, little taps here and there, etc. He was all over the court.

Jet definitely bounced back strong from his pathetic previous games. I particularly liked Josh tonight. He was extremely efficient. He didn't force his shots and he rebounded well. It was great to see. Damp and Diop were solid too.

So great to have a good solid win.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

wrong thread

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 11-04-2008 at 11:22 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

The centers played well tonight but I'd still like to see more offense out of our 5 spot. It makes the game so much easier. Don't forget Duncan still shot over 50% for 19 points and pulled down 15 boards. In 41 minutes of play Duncan only had one foul. WE need to put more pressure to defend on opposing centers.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
spursfansjumpingoffabridge.jpg

Anyone know where that picture is?

SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Let me be the 2340981st person to ask, what does Gerald Green have to do to get into the rotation? And what does Stack have to do to get dropped from the rotation?
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Nice win by the MAVS!!! That was a fun match to watch and great to be distracted from the depressing news on the night.

By the way, with Ginobli out...are the Spurs starting to act their age...who knows, our Mavs just might have some hope in them after all.

A little 4th quarter scare, but they closed the deal...hopefully we can string another 52 or so more wins and get geared up for a post-season run!!!

Way to go Mavericks!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

I just noticed that JKidd again had only 1 turnover. He was everywhere on the court tonight, running after every lose ball and making great passes/taps and just one turnover. Pretty impressive.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
dmavs1980

JKidd is NOT done.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

good mavs are 2-2 now

can't believe the Spurs lost again age is really showing for that team. maybe mavs or suns can take their place as a better team
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #19
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

The only thing I have to add that no one else has said (I have to mention that we need to replace Stack's minutes with Green), but we need to see if that tonight was when JET was just randomly hot (he is streaky), or if actually starting had something to do with it.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I read something on DB.com that I think is worth exploring. Certainly it could be a coincidence, but is there something to Jet's big dropoff last season coinciding with Josh becomign the #2 scoring option on this team? His role started to fluctuate, and even when he did start he was by and large standing around waiting to catch and shoot.

Could we possibly see a consistent uptick in Jet's play if we keep him in the starting lineup and treat him like one of the pirimary scoring options in the half court? Let Josh still needs his touches, bu the also scores a lot from hustle plays and running the break. And Josh can step up as a go to scorer while Jet is running the point with the second unit.

Ortegal was emphatic tonight that Jet has always played his best when he starts, and while a lot has been made of Jet's great attitude no matter how he's used, I think there's something to Bob's observation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #21
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Great win. It's nice to see the Mavs always bring a good game to San Antonio. I really like it when we play there. The night was made even better when the Rockets lost about 15 minutes later.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #22
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Great win. It's nice to see the Mavs always bring a good game to San Antonio. I really like it when we play there. The night was made even better when the Rockets lost about 15 minutes later.
look who the Rockets lost too though, Celtics I guessed that before the game even started I think Celtics are going to be the best team in the league again as much I hate that.
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #23
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Good win, but I have some beefs w/ tonight:

1. It DID really feel like just a hot jump shooting night for the Mavs
2. The Spurs missed a lot of open looks
3. The Mavs only got to the FT line FIVE times... that's way WAY too low... even though the Spurs do a good job of not fouling.

Dirk has I think 2 or 4 FT's the past 2 games? He needs to be getting to the line 7-8 times a game.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I read something on DB.com that I think is worth exploring. Certainly it could be a coincidence, but is there something to Jet's big dropoff last season coinciding with Josh becomign the #2 scoring option on this team? His role started to fluctuate, and even when he did start he was by and large standing around waiting to catch and shoot.

Could we possibly see a consistent uptick in Jet's play if we keep him in the starting lineup and treat him like one of the pirimary scoring options in the half court? Let Josh still needs his touches, bu the also scores a lot from hustle plays and running the break. And Josh can step up as a go to scorer while Jet is running the point with the second unit.

Ortegal was emphatic tonight that Jet has always played his best when he starts, and while a lot has been made of Jet's great attitude no matter how he's used, I think there's something to Bob's observation.
Yeah, Bob really hammered that home at the end and I don't see why he would lie or suggest something way off base. He's seen that team for a while and notices a lot of things.

I agree with the assessment for Josh...hustle points and finishing on the break and maybe getting his mainly with the 2nd unit.

Go to get a win and see the Spurs 0-3.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

You guys think Jet can start Friday against Denver with JR Smith in the backcourt?

Regardless of who starts, I predict Stack plays significantly fewer minutes and Green picks some up. I think Carlisle is bringing Green along slowly, keeping him hungry, making sure he remembers his new attitude of working hard for everything he gets.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #26
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW ECSTATIC I AM RIGHT NOW!!! Obama AND mavs win by CRUSHING their opponents!

Because of a late night at work and the election going on, this is a game that i didn't follow that i wanted to SO badly (of course, against the hated spurts). and when i got home, to be honest, the first thing on my mind was to look at Obama's lead over McSame. THEN i mosey on over to the computer and read "Terry starts and sparks Mavs to win with 29 points." (or something to that effect). and i almost wanted to scream in joy!!!

first thing i look at: REBOUNDING, because we did SO poorly against the cavs. and we had a great edge tonight. of course, Kidd keeps making a liar out of me by performing better and better, and as jthig said, i guess his line don't do him justice, so he must have been REALLY great tonight.

i'm SO happy to see terry with a HUGE game, and dirk BACK IN FRIGGIN FORM!!! 30 points from the master is a big change from his "i don't even wanna be out here" game last night. obviously, i don't get to see the game, but i get an idea from what everyone is writing, and to keep the spurts WINLESS is simply amazing. GO GO GO MAVS AND GO OBAMA!!!!

i LOVE you guys to death!!!

GO MAVS!

M/F/F/L

2-2
xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #27
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the refurbished quasi-barnhouse that is the Freeman Colosseum/AT&T Center. A few comments:

Spurs fans were much more docile this time than they have been any time I've been down there. Normally, even when we've won, my friends and I have caught some sh*t on our way out. This time, nothing but blank faces (and even some congratulatory remarks).

I understand that JET is a defensive liability, but man, that was by far the best line-up the Mavs have put on the court this year. The guy has such a great offensive game. He was ripping the Spurs' hearts out with every shot.

Kidd was just amazing tonight. His rebounding ability is disgusting. In the last 5 minutes, he had 2 or 3 times where he came out of nowhere to get a rebound. Ended up with almost a trip-dub, too.

I was a little disappointed to not see Green a bit more, and Bass didn't get a whole lot of burn. Still and all, I thought the rotation made a lot more sense tonight.

Play of the game had to have been the fastbreak bounce pass from Kidd to Damp. What in the hell was that? I have NEVER seen Big Poppa run the floor and catch a bounce pass like that. And he finished without a hitch. Absolutely amazing.

I was also in the "spirit section" for the game, which is a randomly assigned section where they put the spotlight and a camera and tell folks to cheer extra loud for the Spurs. Well, when the guy came over to orchestra the spirit section stuff, the Mavs were up by 12 and my friends and I were the only people cheering. By the time he left, the Mavs were up by 23. Good mojo there Spurs.

Overall, good win tonight. I was very proud to see our guys (specifically Dirk) bounce back like that after an absolutely atrocious showing last night. Let's ride the momentum.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-05-2008 at 01:04 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

That was unexpected. I thought SA's intensity would have been much higher to start the game. Duncan seemed to sleepwalk his way through most of the first half.

Josh had a couple of really timely buckets in the 3rd as the Spurs were making their run. The big one was was the step back jump shot over Bonner out of a Carlisle timeout. Good to see him make plays in the 2nd half.

I know it's early but Kidd's A/TO is obscene. That was one of my concerns coming into the season but it hasn't been an issue at all. I also see him trying to be more aggressive in the half court over the past 3 games. We're not going to be very good if his only effect on our offense is initiating the break. Not that it's not cool to watch him do that. I probably watched the bounce pass to Damp about 10 times.

It'll be interesting to see how long we can get away with starting Terry. The Spurs allow you to play small back courts because Bowen is a non-factor on offense. I thought Pop starting Mason in the 3rd was an attempt to make Carlisle pay for playing Terry.

I continue to be amazed by the fact that Green, who has yet to play a bad game in a Mavs uni, can't get consistent minutes. It makes no sense. He still seem to be in good spirits but it's got to be frustrating to outplay Wright and Stackhouse and still watch both of them play before him.

Oh yea, our ball movement in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty. Everybody was looking to make the extra pass. Hopefully that's a trend that continues.

Last edited by dirno2000; 11-05-2008 at 01:02 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #29
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
look who the Rockets lost too though, Celtics I guessed that before the game even started I think Celtics are going to be the best team in the league again as much I hate that.
Yeah, I hate cheering for the Celtics, but I'll do it whenever they play the Spurs or Rockets. It was a solid loss for Houston, if you can have one of those. But still, they lost! So that makes me happy.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #30
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I'm alive. Great job on these threads, by the way. I just got busy with everything else that I let this slide...

Finally, I get to talk a little basketball though. Feels like it's been a long time...and I know I'm about a week late, but I'm still watching as I can.

Anyway, it's always good to get a win. I sure wasn't ready to jump off the wagon after a couple of early season losses, but it does feel better when you win.

Early season observations:

The rebounding has been problematic until tonight. Good to see the Mavs finally win a rebounding edge.

Scoring is a little bit of an issue. Dirk is good for his. So is Josh. Jet is the biggest X-factor on the team (more on him in a minute). But Kidd isn't a big scoring threat, and neither are the bigs. Bass can be good, but he isn't always consistent or a game-changer, and you lose something when he plays - you either lose defense and rebounding when he plays with Dirk, or you lose scoring when he replaces Dirk. I think this team needs to make sure they aren't playing 2 or 3 on 5. Keep threats on the floor - especially with Kidd since that is when he is at his best.

The backup point guard spot bothers me a little bit - not a ton, just a little. I don't know why this is such an issue in Dallas. Most teams get away with retreads and borderline guys, but it hurts more in Dallas, it seems. When Kidd leaves, the offense bogs down too much.

I like Gerald Green. He's someone who can give this team a spark. With his ability to score and create, I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.

Stack is always a slow starter, and he's especially slow this year.

Jason Terry is still the best two guard on this team. Whether anyone likes it or not, this team desperately needs his scoring. He takes pressure off of Dirk, Josh, and Kidd by being able to knock down shots and get into the lane off the dribble. The team is better when he is the guy playing with Kidd and scoring instead of trying to run the offense or play alongside JJ. In fact, that lineup with Jet and JJ just makes me cringe...I don't mind Jet playing the backup point guard either. I think you can get away with it, you just need some other creators out there with him. I don't think the team plays well when Jet and Stack and Bass all try to take turns scoring with that second unit though.

The offense does have more movement, but this is still a team that relies on jumpshots in the halfcourt. The fastbreak is much better though, and the demise of Jason Kidd has been greatly exaggerated. I think Kidd is the best intangible player in the league. He can still impact a game in so many ways, and this team is so much better with him on the floor.

The slow start is understandable. I like how Rick is trying different combinations. He certainly doesn't seem afraid to mix and match until he finds something he likes. I like that. Eventually, I think he's going to find some things he likes, and this team should click.

Good stuff though. Good to be back.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I continue to be amazed by the fact that Green, who has yet to play a bad game in a Mavs uni, can't get consistent minutes. It makes no sense. He still seem to be in good spirits but it's got to be frustrating to outplay Wright and Stackhouse and still watch both of them play before him.

Here's to hoping that jthig is onto something with his above post:

Quote:
I think Carlisle is bringing Green along slowly, keeping him hungry, making sure he remembers his new attitude of working hard for everything he gets.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Come on ddh.... We need you!

Nice to see you around, dude.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #33
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There's no doubt in my mind about this. His role has been constantly changing for the past two years and while he doesn't complain his consistency has suffered.

This kind of goes along with something else that I've been thinking about lately. The marginalization of Jet if one of the reasons we're not the close out team we were in 06-07. When we took him off the point we lost the Jet/Dirk pick and pop. That was our bread and butter play when we needed a bucket. I understand why he was taken off the point and we did gain in some other areas but we definitely lost there.

Devin and Kidd are pick and roll PG's while Dirk's a pick and pop PF. Neither of them draw the defense away from Dirk or force switches like Terry used to. The result is Dirk taking more contested shoots in the 4th quarters of tight games.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #34
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

That Dirk/Jet two man game sure looked good tonight, gentlemen. I think it's time we bring it back as a staple.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #35
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd was insane tonight. If tipped rebounds to a teammate were counted as rebounds, he would easily have 13 to 15 of them. Like Ortegal said, he sees where the rebound is going to go as soon as the ball leaves the hand of the shooter.

About Jet starting: I was afraid to bring this up before but that has been in the back of my mind since the first game of the season. Jet is still more important to this team's success than either Green or Wright. As such, I think we should go back to starting him
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #36
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Double post

Last edited by bernardos70; 11-05-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: phone spazzing out
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, the Spurs really are just that bad.

And of all the concerns coming into this season, we can all be happy that we do indeed have the real Jason Kidd.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #38
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Play of the game had to have been the fastbreak bounce pass from Kidd to Damp. What in the hell was that? I have NEVER seen Big Poppa run the floor and catch a bounce pass like that. And he finished without a hitch. Absolutely amazing.
Assist of the Night That was just a tremendous pass by Kidd.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...layer=whatsnew

Last edited by monty55555; 11-05-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 AM   #39
LonghornDub

Interesting little stat they just showed on Sportscenter--

Texas NBA Teams' Intrastate Records, Last 4 Seasons: Mavs 17-9, Spurs 14-11, Rockets 7-18.

Not really all that relevant now, just thought it was kinda cute.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 AM   #40
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555 View Post
Assist of the Night That was just a tremendous pass by Kidd.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...layer=whatsnew
ha! move of the night goes to tony parker. Check him out on the last play of the highlights at NBA.com
http://www.nba.com/video/games/spurs...layer=whatsnew

he's the guy cross the court right at 1:43/1:44. If anyone can make a gif of that, I would post it on here daily!

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 11-05-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
post game 08/09