Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold
Question LBJ Sweepstakes?

Anyone? Can we somehow have a chance at this? Discuss...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he come to Dallas of all places?

Bosh is a more realistic target but even that's such a long shot that you shouldn't plan for it two years in advance.

Last edited by dirno2000; 11-13-2008 at 11:37 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Hey now. I'd love to get Bosh myself. You can't lose between Bosh, Lebron and 'Melo. Its going to be difficult to even clear cap space for those guys though. Its a long shot.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Bosh would be good to mix with Josh and Green.

If Dirk retires, we would gain a TON of money losing J-Kidd, Stack's, and I think Damp's contracts. That'd be more than enough to get Bosh.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
Anyone? Can we somehow have a chance at this? Discuss...
No chance...if he leaves Cleveland it's for New York/Brooklyn.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas would probably be best off just rebuilding from the draft. We need more than just one superstar at this point to get this thing right. If that were the case, Dirk and Kidd would be the answer to our current problems. We need to assemble an entire roster of young talent, and we need to do it through the draft.

Not to mention, it's just hard to lure franchise NBA free agents away from their teams. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but when they are max-level worthy players, those players generally don't budge from their previous teams.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-14-2008 at 12:58 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Sign a free agent and get a good draft pick.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Dallas would probably be best off just rebuilding from the draft. We need more than just one superstar at this point to get this thing right. If that were the case, Dirk and Kidd would be the answer to our current problems. We need to assemble an entire roster of young talent, and we need to do it through the draft.

Not to mention, it's just hard to lure franchise NBA free agents away from their teams. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but when they are max-level worthy players, those players generally don't budge from their previous teams.
How do you rebuild with no draft picks? If possible i'd love to clear cap space by trading some of these guys and getting draft picks. Outside of Dirk I don't think we can get any picks for any of these guys. Not 1st rounders anyway.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
How do you rebuild with no draft picks? If possible i'd love to clear cap space by trading some of these guys and getting draft picks. Outside of Dirk I don't think we can get any picks for any of these guys. Not 1st rounders anyway.
Like you said, Dirk. You maybe dangle Howard out there and see if you can net a first or get a young player with upside out of it. We don't quite have no draft picks, but I agree that the 2010 first rounder to New Jersey hurts. At this point though it's a sunk cost, you do the best with what you have. Guys like Dirk and Howard aren't going to go up in value by waiting (I'm not saying you dump at the first opportunity a la Memphis, but you should be listening to any serious offers).

The problem I see with the game of trying to sign a big name free agent when you don't have the draft picks is three-fold:

1. I can't say I have the salary cap memorized, but everything I know about it says that when a player is in max-deal territory, you can't really compete money-wise with his previous employer. Now a player might be willing to take a discount if you have a good supporting cast that he thinks he can win with, but that brings me to my next point...

2. The Mavericks don't look to have a lot of players that are going to lure guys like Bosh and LeBron in. What do we have? Kidd will probably be gone, Dirk is getting older, Jet and Damp are starting to get really old (and is Damp's contract up by then? I think so).

3. If you do lure one of those guys in, and you don't have the supporting cast in place, then you get stuck in the situation like Cleveland is in with LeBron. They are really in a no-win situation to be honest. LeBron is too good to ever let them fall into lottery status (especially in the east) so they can't score a hot-shot rookie, and they don't have any nice pieces to trade.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-14-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 AM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
True. You've got to get lucky and find a team whose owner is a know-it-all who is too smart for his own good.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 AM   #11
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
True. You've got to get lucky and find a team whose owner is a know-it-all who is too smart for his own good.
I've got to give you credit, chum. It's been 4 years after the fact, and you still manage to inject Steve Nash's name into completely unrelated subjects with the greatest of ease.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's not unrelated if you are a Mavericks fan!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

We have too many major commitments until the summer of 2011 to be able to pull this off.

kidd expires this year, stack the year after (unless we pick up his option, which i highly doubt we will). that's 28 million off the books, still leaves us about 8 million over the cap. And those aren't players that we can resign to high dollar amounts to swing a sign and trade.

Our contracts thru 2011 are JJB, Damp, Jho, Dirk. Terry and Diop don't expire until 2012 and 2013 respectively. Unless we swing at least 2 of the 3 big 2011 contracts (damp, jho, dirk) for players with shorter contracts, there's no real chance of being a player here. And that seems like it would be hard to pull off, given how much of a commodity those expiring deals are.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Like you said, Dirk. You maybe dangle Howard out there and see if you can net a first or get a young player with upside out of it. We don't quite have no draft picks, but I agree that the 2010 first rounder to New Jersey hurts. At this point though it's a sunk cost, you do the best with what you have. Guys like Dirk and Howard aren't going to go up in value by waiting (I'm not saying you dump at the first opportunity a la Memphis, but you should be listening to any serious offers).

The problem I see with the game of trying to sign a big name free agent when you don't have the draft picks is three-fold:

1. I can't say I have the salary cap memorized, but everything I know about it says that when a player is in max-deal territory, you can't really compete money-wise with his previous employer. Now a player might be willing to take a discount if you have a good supporting cast that he thinks he can win with, but that brings me to my next point...

2. The Mavericks don't look to have a lot of players that are going to lure guys like Bosh and LeBron in. What do we have? Kidd will probably be gone, Dirk is getting older, Jet and Damp are starting to get really old (and is Damp's contract up by then? I think so).

3. If you do lure one of those guys in, and you don't have the supporting cast in place, then you get stuck in the situation like Cleveland is in with LeBron. They are really in a no-win situation to be honest. LeBron is too good to ever let them fall into lottery status (especially in the east) so they can't score a hot-shot rookie, and they don't have any nice pieces to trade.
Yea that's a good point. New Jersey is doin' a pretty good job though of getting young guys like Devin and Yi who don't get paid much. I guess that's the way to go about it and hope by the time 'Bron is a free agent they've developed into their potential. I just don't know anymore lol. I guess it does start with draft picks now that I think about it. We have this year draft pick which IMO, probably will be a average pick and probably no lower than 13 or 14th.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I've read rumors that Lebron has told people that Dallas is a potential place he would like to go as well as New York, and New Jersey, maybe just because he's such a big Dallas Cowboys fan. It seems highly unlikely still though.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #16
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

no why the fuck would he come to an even bigger loser than cleveland? the only way you can pull a player in free agency is if he is undervalued, which lbj is not.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
It's not unrelated if you are a Mavericks fan!
And sad to say it is true, letting Nash walk for nothing set a bad precedent. Since then have we made one move that didn't cost us more than we gained?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Nobody wants to come to Dallas. Ever.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #19
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I've read rumors that Lebron has told people that Dallas is a potential place he would like to go as well as New York, and New Jersey, maybe just because he's such a big Dallas Cowboys fan. It seems highly unlikely still though.
He said that cause he was interested in playing with a point guard like Devin Harris.

oops.

d
Old 11-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Yea, I read this too. The Lakers were tossed in there too. Would take a miracle given the current CBA......but one of the reasons why LBJ was the leader of his class to take a 4 year opt out deal was to possibly maxmize their earnings when the current CBA came due. So who knows the league wants to encourage free agent movement and creates equality for max contracts.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #21
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I disagree.

If--and for the record, I think it's too early to conclude this--but if the Mavs are still this awful come the trade deadline, I would bet Kidd's expiring deal could be flipped into at least one, if not two, first rounders. Maybe not lottery picks, but some team looking to cut costs could easily be talked out of a first rounder if it saves them $20MM+ next year (or creates cap room). Same true of Stack. Remember, Phoenix send two first-round picks to Seattle just for taking Thomas off their books.

Now, what would we have to take back on in contracts to make that happen? That might not be very palatable. The Mavs may have shown the most you can hope to accomplish by going down the path of continuously acquiring bad contracts...while the Knicks clearly show the downside. Starting to wonder if the Mavs are the Yankees...trade future potential for present above-average-but-not-great players, then get saddled with aging players & bad contracts, and no draft picks or youth to build around. Maybe the Mavs should hire Brian Cashman.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to tell you guys this, but Lyndon Baines Johnson is dead.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
FINtastic
Diamond Member

He still owes us though, the city of Dallas gave him a presidency, the least he could do is give us a good basketball team.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-14-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
I disagree.

If--and for the record, I think it's too early to conclude this--but if the Mavs are still this awful come the trade deadline, I would bet Kidd's expiring deal could be flipped into at least one, if not two, first rounders. Maybe not lottery picks, but some team looking to cut costs could easily be talked out of a first rounder if it saves them $20MM+ next year (or creates cap room). Same true of Stack. Remember, Phoenix send two first-round picks to Seattle just for taking Thomas off their books.

Now, what would we have to take back on in contracts to make that happen? That might not be very palatable. The Mavs may have shown the most you can hope to accomplish by going down the path of continuously acquiring bad contracts...while the Knicks clearly show the downside. Starting to wonder if the Mavs are the Yankees...trade future potential for present above-average-but-not-great players, then get saddled with aging players & bad contracts, and no draft picks or youth to build around. Maybe the Mavs should hire Brian Cashman.
I doubt we'd get any 1st rounders for Kidd. I think at most all we can hope for is a Pau Gasol type deal. The only teams that want to clear cap space are ones that are rebuilding so they'll more than likely suck and have no intentions keeping Kidd around for big money.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
arsenalmavsfan

arsenalmavsfan is on a distinguished road

Yay, my first post

Anyways, i think that if we are to have any realistic chance of getting Lebron in 2010, we need to keep Kidd.

Lebron stated the cities he wants to play in are New York, Dallas, LA, or Chicago. He obviously picked the major cities where he can expand his name and make more money, but why would he list dallas on there, it's gonna be tough competition to land his name.
As much as I hate to say it, we have to resign kidd for much less money if he's willing (he says he wants to stay), and hopefully that will help lure Lebron in.

If worse comes to worse, we can try and bring Chris Bosh back to his hometown!
arsenalmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #26
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

LeBron is going to Brooklyn - bank on it...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #27
arsenalmavsfan

exactly^, if we have any chance of getting him, we have to keep kidd for cheap...
Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #28
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

If we have any chance on getting Bron, we have to move to Brooklyn.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #29
arsenalmavsfan

I say screw Lebron, him coming is a long shot. I'll settle for bosh, haha, even though that's gonna be a tough one too!

Tags
thread diarrhea