Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How bad is this thing gonna get before it's over?

I'm not sure I can see this getting any better on a long term basis. How long will we try to drive on this flat? Will it end with a few trades, a major trade (Dirk) or will it just get so humiliating and heart-wrenching as it sets a record on being one of the more talented teams that failed beyond belief. I fear the thought of rolling this mess out there for the rest of the season.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

My crystal ball tells me Dirk is gonna get traded for someone of perceived similar value this season... and we go from a potentially 46 win team to a 35 win team. Then we'll resign Dirk for the MLE this summer for 2009/10 and it gets even worse.

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly won't be the whole season. If this thing still looks like this in January, at the very least Kidd and Stack will be moved. I have no idea whether teh team has the nuts to go all in and move Dirk, but this roster certainly won't look the same if they continue to suck past Christmas.

And as painful as it feels right now, it's still way to early to even think about trading away the best player your franchise has ever seen. As bleek as things seem right now, 8 games is not enough time to make a decision like that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

We still have a better starting record than this other season...
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

if the Mavericks go into panic mode and start trading now I'd laugh at the Mavericks. It's only like what 8 games. If they aren't doing good by December or so, it's time for them to start looking for trades for all the players the only way for this team to get better is to look into all the options, even Dirk if trading him is the best thing. For the future it would be better to trade Dirk when he is still good instead of getting nothing for him, maybe thy won't trade Dirk and will do something with Kidd, Stack or everyone else on the team, but I have a gut feeling it might be Dirks year to be talked about to be traded and maybe even traded if Mavericks aren't doing well. I mean Mavericks have good players, but they all just don't go together

Last edited by basketballgirl25; 11-14-2008 at 08:59 AM.
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

come trade deadline, it's time to blow this bastard to pieces. I wonder if they can get a fairly young point guard with a little upside and a couple of picks for kidd? and dirk...hate to see it, but you gotta get what you can for the dude while the gettin' is good. j-ho - trade him for a dime bag....nobody else is worth any damn thing.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It certainly won't be the whole season. If this thing still looks like this in January, at the very least Kidd and Stack will be moved. I have no idea whether teh team has the nuts to go all in and move Dirk, but this roster certainly won't look the same if they continue to suck past Christmas.

And as painful as it feels right now, it's still way to early to even think about trading away the best player your franchise has ever seen. As bleek as things seem right now, 8 games is not enough time to make a decision like that.
I agree. Say he gets back into form next week, then most will be forgotten or people will say NOW trade him. Everyone has slumps in their game, I don't get why he isn't allowed to. He looked pretty bad to start the year last season as well. It might've been in a different way, but it was still a slump and he battled back. I'm a Dirk fan, I'll live with Dirk and die with him. It's too early to think about that kind of big deal because you're giving up for the next few years. I think you still have assets and talent around to still make a push for now and start working for the future.

You have to try to stay cautiously optimistic right now and just hope something can happen positively with the current team or find a way to make it better and avoid a blowup.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I wonder why everybody is so surprised. Most of the people who are around on this board KNEW that this team would suck to start with when we announced that adding Diop and signing Greene and Shawne Williams were all moves we´d do for now.

What do you expect? A new system to turn Stackhouse, George and all our mega-scrubs into superstars?

We have some decent players (Terry, Howard), we have some great ones (Dirk, Kidd), and we have a bunch of overrated homers (Bass, Damp, Diop) along with some new guys (Greene, Williams, Wright (kinda new aswell)) and a huge load of crappy benchers (Stackhouse, Barea).

If you have a team going well, the homers will shine and everything is fine, but they are for sure not the guys to get us out of the misery.

This team relies on Dirk as every year, and a new system / coach won´t change that overnight.

Our GM is unwilling to get in the help needed or even to DROP the unnecessary weight, so all we have to do is play the waiting game and cross our fingers that Dirk catches fire somehow and the flaechenbrand will light up Terry and Howard and Bass and Damp...

Last edited by seelenjaeger; 11-14-2008 at 11:30 AM.
seelenjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I agree. Say he gets back into form next week, then most will be forgotten or people will say NOW trade him. Everyone has slumps in their game, I don't get why he isn't allowed to. He looked pretty bad to start the year last season as well. It might've been in a different way, but it was still a slump and he battled back. I'm a Dirk fan, I'll live with Dirk and die with him. It's too early to think about that kind of big deal because you're giving up for the next few years. I think you still have assets and talent around to still make a push for now and start working for the future.

You have to try to stay cautiously optimistic right now and just hope something can happen positively with the current team or find a way to make it better and avoid a blowup.
I hear ya. I'm not sure what the right move is at this point. I could easily imagine we could very well chug along to 9-21 record and then see some rumors flying around. IMO Dirk is allowed to have slumps, it's happened before and it will happen again as with all players. Just seems different this time. It's not just him.

Even if this turns around as mentioned, is it going to be enough to win in the end? I'm not sold we have the team makeup to win it all. If we get to the playoffs and lose first round, I'm not sure I would be much happier than if we were making obvious moves to retool. I would rather just rip the band aid off quickly instead of slowly and painfully..IF it is what is going to happen. While I haven't given up on what we got, I am more puzzled than ever about whats rolling out there. JThis is probably right, I guess come January things should get interesting one way or another.

BTW if/when things turnaround hopefully the DAMP of the last 2 games will be there waiting!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I hear ya. I'm not sure what the right move is at this point. I could easily imagine we could very well chug along to 9-21 record and then see some rumors flying around. IMO Dirk is allowed to have slumps, it's happened before and it will happen again as with all players. Just seems different this time. It's not just him.

Even if this turns around as mentioned, is it going to be enough to win in the end? I'm not sold we have the team makeup to win it all. If we get to the playoffs and lose first round, I'm not sure I would be much happier than if we were making obvious moves to retool. I would rather just rip the band aid off quickly instead of slowly and painfully..IF it is what is going to happen. While I haven't given up on what we got, I am more puzzled than ever about whats rolling out there. JThis is probably right, I guess come January things should get interesting one way or another.

BTW if/when things turnaround hopefully the DAMP of the last 2 games will be there waiting!
I hear ya too
I'm loyal to 41. I believe it's a slump and like you said everyone is entitled to it...especially him since he does the heavy lifting night in and night out when no one else does and he's never shown that he'll do what he can for the team, like playing with a busted ankle.

Even at the end of this month you'll start to see something...16 games will be up and you'll be pretty close to that first quarter phase of the season. Either way, you need to start making serious decisions by then. You're either dead in the water, hovering at 500 or barely above it. That suggests that something would need to be done.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 11-14-2008 at 12:00 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

We need another trade. Simple as that.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
We need another trade. Simple as that.
Within reason, I'm for that.
What are your thoughts specifically?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

2-6

8 games = 10% of the season...

We better turn things around quickly because we're currently on pace for a 22-60 record this season!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

stat junkies will like this.
It talks about Josh and Dirk for their careers, and the past 3 years...quarter by quarter

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2008....html#comments
Old 11-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still down for Mike Miller.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'm still down for Mike Miller.
I was down for Mike Miller a year ago...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
2-6

8 games = 10% of the season...

We better turn things around quickly because we're currently on pace for a 22-60 record this season!

Sigh, I remember the days when the opposite of that record seemed like no big deal (60-22).

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread diarrhea