Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of
Default Mavs Free Throw Shooting Problems/Unlucky?

I wasn't sure, but I had the feeling throughout the season that other teams were shooting abnormally well against us at the free throw line. I finally looked it up today, and sure enough we're second in the league in oppFT%, with opponents shooting about 81% against us. What's interesting is that we're seventh in the league in FT% at about 79%, but that's been completely negated by the hot FT shooting of the teams we've played.

Not trying to make excuses or anything, and obviously this fails to take into account any number of relevant factors... but when you look at the close games we've played this season, it definitely seems we've been a bit unlucky when it comes to our opponents having hot nights at the FT line.

12/13/08
DAL 103-99 OKC
OKC 94% on 16-17

12/11/08
DAL 95-90 CHA
CHA 63% on 12-19

12/9/08
DAL 126-133 SA (2OT)
SAN 86% on 25-29

12/6/08
DAL 100-98 ATL
ATL 76% on 22-29 (ATL 75.3% on the season)

12/2/08
DAL 100-98 LAC
LAC 80% on 8-10

11/28/08
DAL 107-114 LAL
LAL 93% on 14-15

11/25/08
DAL 109-106 IND
IND 82% on 14-17

11/16/08
DAL 124-114 NYK (OT)
NYK 81% on 13-16

11/14/08
DAL 100-102 ORL
ORL 73% on 27-37 (ORL is last in the league in FT% at just under 72% for the season)

11/7/08
DAL 105-108 DEN
DEN 93% on 37-40 (DEN 77% on the season)

So, yeah, make of that what you will. By my count that list includes every game we've played that was decided by 5 or fewer points or went to overtime. Of these games, only Charlotte shot below their season average. Of course, even in these close games, a free throw here or there probably didn't make a big difference in the outcome. And in a lot of these games you get what you ask for (i.e. if you send Kobe to the line in the fourth quarter then expect him to go 6-6, although Bynum's 6-7 in the game was unexpected). But I think everyone probably remembers Carmelo (and the rest of the Nuggets) killing us over and over again at the line in that Denver game. And I'd say it's also a tough break when Duncan (8-9) and the Spurs bench (10-10) shoot so well from the line.

On the flip side, I'd say we're very lucky to be 1st in the league in opp 3PT% against, but at least that is something that we have some control over.

Anyway, I realize this is kind of a long and not terribly relevant post. But in case anyone else was wondering about the FT shooting the same as I was, there it is...
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

we used to be very good
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703 View Post
we used to be very good
At defending the FT line?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I think it's variance, just like us being #1 in the league at 3-PT %defense is variance.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are only two ways to defend against FT percentage. One is to avoid sending good FT shooters to the line. The other is to tighten the rims at your home building.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The other is to tighten the rims at your home building.
No, I don't think we need to sacrifice our own shooting.

What we really need to do is get rid of the Acme Brick signs the fans wave around because they're obviously not working. Replace them with some highly reflective material for fans to blind the opponent FT shooters with.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 12-14-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
KiddNPlay
Banned

KiddNPlay will become famous soon enoughKiddNPlay will become famous soon enough

Flashlights for all fans!
KiddNPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Fairly certain chum's remark was tongue-in-cheek.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
I think it's variance, just like us being #1 in the league at 3-PT %defense is variance.
How is 3pt defense a variance? You can alter the opponents 3pt FG% by not giving them open looks and defending the perimeter well unlike FT%
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Fairly certain my earnest response conforms to all league regulations.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Irroonyyyyy.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Irroonyyyyy.
Are you suggesting that Dirka's first response was tongue-in-cheek itself? I don't think so. But, then again, I'm running on fumes. So maybe you're right.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post

What we really need to do is get rid of the Acme Brick signs the fans wave around because they're obviously not working. Replace them with some highly reflective material for fans to blind the opponent FT shooters with.
I've actually noticed that the end-zone guys have been really performing poorly this year. They badly need to step it up.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

Glad I'm not the only one who's felt that way. No one seems to yell when opponents are at the freethrow line unless it's late in the 4th in a close game. And often the end-zone team is slow at passing out the brick signs and generally poor at getting the crowd amped up.

I try to do my best in the upper bowl. There are two old fart couples that sit in front of us every game and give us dirty looks when we yell and bang our clappers. They actually had the audacity to complain about another couple who was sitting near us one night because I guess the woman was banging her clapper too loud! The usher asked the "loud" couple if they'd be ok moving to a different seat... WTF people it's not a library!

Luckily they haven't said anything to me or complained to the usher about me. If they ever do, I swear I will bang my clappers RIGHT in their ear as loud as I can for the rest of the season...

Last edited by thurst0509; 12-15-2008 at 10:47 AM.
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Difference is Kidd and Stackhouse. More Kidd bricks and less Stack makes.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

It's too early to make a judgment about the Mavs' free throw defense. The Mavs need at least until the All-Star break to have time to get comfortable with Carlisle's new schemes.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people missed the point of this thread. Its not about the Mavs FT shooting (which is at a darn-fine 7th in the league 79.1%)

The point is our FT "defense" is 2nd worst in the league.

While it is impossible to guard the FT line, there are some interesting stories involved
1) We are 4th best in the league in fewest fouls
2) We are, however middle of the pack in number of opponent FTs
3) this says to me that a very high % of our fouls are shooting fouls, which says to me that we are getting beat on defense more than we should

So...my hypothesis is this: Mavs have some bad luck (OKC averages 76.1% on the season!), combined with an occasionally spotty defense that loses players (including shooters), and we aren't fouling hard enough when we do foul. Of course Opp FT% is one of the least interesting stats out there, but thats all I can gather from it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #18
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

The solution is obvious: we need a speedo guy.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
The solution is obvious: we need a speedo guy.
It's nice to have someone on this board whose posts are equally as worthless as mine!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

you wish your posts were that brilliant, underdog!
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote