Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Random JJB is great thread.

What a nice player he has become. Keep it up, here's to you JJ.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

JJB11 > TP9.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

He could be even better if he work on his shotselection

If he runs hot he still takes too many dumb shots, like a three with 20 on the shotclock....brrrrrr

His defense lives and dies with charges, i hope he keep getting at least some calls (specially now after Parker cried about his "flopping").
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

You guys trying to jinx the lil midget?
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to take the opportunity, as I always do on these occasions, to point out that I was a JJB fan before it was cool. His was the only jersey that I asked for 2 Christmases ago, and is now only one of two that I own. (The other being a Bass jersey I recently acquired when I bet a friend at the beginning of this season that Bass would average more than 7 PPG)
Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

don't jinx.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I'm worried about the adjustments Pops will make for JJ tomorrow night.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't make adjustments for him. The only one that can stop JJB is....JJB

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I have a friend said he would like to see JJ start in the 2 in place of Wright. That could be an interesting way to go but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Mavsfan4ever; 04-19-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

This is hilarious. Got this article/picture from here http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1542 .. Its entitled:

'How Do You Solve A Problem Like Barea?'
Photoshop Sing-Along: JJB Is Alive - With 'The Sound Of Music'

I am not nearly ill enough to create hip-hop songs for Mavs players, such as this one for Dirk Nowitzki. I am more "old-school'' (i.e, just plain old.) You therefore see no references to Skanky (Leg) and ample references to Frankie (Sinatra).

But I’m inspired by JJ Barea. Inspired enough to go all “Sound of Music’’ on yo' ass:

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Barea?

Lyrics and music by Rodgers & Hammerstein & Fish:

(Click here for your instrumental accompaniment, yo.)

How do you solve a problem like Barea?
How does Tony Parker not get pimped?
How do you find a word that means Barea?

A flibbertajibbit?

A will of a whisp

a shrimp

Many a thing you know you'd like tell him

But his Puerto Rican accent? “No understand’’

So how does he make this bid?
To be a mini-Kidd

We hear that Desperate Eva is a fan!

Oh how do you solve a problem like Barea?

How does he hold that big ball in his hand?

When they guard him
They’re confused
Dirty Bowen
Is bemused
And Pop wishes for an immigration ban

He's playful like a toy

Mistaken for a towel boy

He's a darling

He's a demon

He's a lamb

So Duncan wants fouls called
JJ’s making Manu bald

He's fearless on any floater that you have

JJ’s squatty

JJ’s wild

He's a Husky

He's a child

He's a headache

He's an angel

He's a Mav!

Oh how do you solve a problem like Barea?

How does he hold that big ball in his hand?

Thanks to Stereolith

Discuss this story at DB.com Boards

833pm april 19 2009

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1542

Last edited by monty55555; 04-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
I was thinking the same thing at first. But then again, if the Spurs are having to take time to game-plan for our 9th man... then they're in real trouble. It'll just take pressure off Dirk and Kidd.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I was thinking the same thing at first. But then again, if the Spurs are having to take time to game-plan for our 9th man... then they're in real trouble. It'll just take pressure off Dirk and Kidd.
Exactly. They can't put a 6th man on the court. Any extra attention that JJ pulls just means more open looks for the other guys.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Very early last season (like the second game or so) JJB just absolutely destroyed Sacramento. I mean destroyed them. That was the first time I ever thought he might have something. I remember KG updated one of his rotation prediction threads to include JJB based solely on that game and it didn't seem ridiculous.

Then he did basically nothing the rest of the season. Going into this season I was absolutely convinced Jet was going to be this team's backup PG and JJB was going to be the 15th man all season and make us regret giving him a guaranteed contract (small as it was).

Taking a step back and looking at what he has accomplished this season is pretty remarkable.

Carlisle still needs to be careful with how often he leans on him, but goodness he's already turned into a far better player than I ever thought possible.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-19-2009 at 10:14 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

JJB has definitely improved this season. His decision-making has been better. He doesn't force the issue very much by driving recklessly into the paint without considering what the defense is giving him. He has learned to pass to the open teammate. This has made him a bigger threat than just a one-man wrecking crew that drives to the basket without knowing how to pass to others.

His defense has improved as well. He doesn't gamble too much in trying to get a steal (the way JKidd would try to swipe the ball while it is at the opponent's hand).

Hope he continues to show improvement in his game.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Nowitzki, who called he and Terry “great decoys” in Game 1, expected the Spurs to adjust by Monday night. Quite a bit.

“You just can’t watch Barea walk down the lane five or six times in the fourth quarter,” he said.

----------------

This is what I've been repeating. Dirk, RC and Pop all concur. If they want to keep playing like that, JJB should have an easy time of it. If they don't, then Dirk & Terry go off.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think JJB is going to get his no matter what. He probably won't take over a game again like he did last night, but the guy is skilled enough that you're not going to just "shut him down," especially given that you'd be foolish to commit that many resources to doing so when guys like Dirk and Terry are out there.

I'd expect JJB to be a borderline double-digit points contributor just about every game for the rest of the series.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #17
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not go overboard here. He's a 8 PPG backup PG. He can easily be shut down. Just watch him vs. N.O. Usually when he has good games its because teams aren't paying attention to him.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #18
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

The way I see it if they put more attention on JJ hey will have to take attention off some of our main guys.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #19
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Let's not go overboard here. He's a 8 PPG backup PG. He can easily be shut down. Just watch him vs. N.O. Usually when he has good games its because teams aren't paying attention to him.
It's not a question of whether teams can shut him down. Of course teams can shut him down--teams can shut down pretty much anyone short of the Lebron/Kobe class of player. The point is that he won't be shut down, because he's skilled enough that shutting him down would require an amount of defensive attention that would produce less benefit (i.e. JJB held to 2 points) than cost (i.e. Dirk and Terry running wild).

Also, I'm not quite sure why you attempted to refute a claim that he'd be a "borderline double digit scorer" for the rest of the series (which was far from outlandish) by pointing out that he's an 8 PPG player. The entire point was that he'll likely hover around the 8-12 point range for the rest of this series, centering right around his average.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-20-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #20
CadBane
Banned

Sure he should. What I'm refuting is your notion that he can't be "shut down" without extra attention. If anyone even straight up guards him, he won't "get his" so easily. Dude was taking uncontested shots bc of the doubles.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
LonghornDub

Quote:
Sure he should. What I'm refuting is your notion that he can't be "shut down" without extra attention. If anyone even straight up guards him, he won't "get his" so easily. Dude was taking uncontested shots bc of the doubles.
And yet, doubling other players less in order to "straight up guard him" would be extra attention, relative to the amount of attention he received before (which, as you correctly point out, was minimal). Thanks for supporting my point. You're certainly not "refuting" anything--in fact, it sounds like you see the situation the exact same way I do.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-20-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #22
CadBane
Banned

Not even worth it.

Last edited by CadBane; 04-20-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
And yet, doubling other players less in order to "straight up guard him" would be extra attention, relative to the amount of attention he received before (which, as you correctly point out, was minimal). Thanks for supporting my point. You're certainly not "refuting" anything--in fact, it sounds like you see the situation the exact same way I do.
agree with longhorn dub....

guarding pick and roll is not an easy thing - "straight up guarding" someone off a pick and roll is not easy. if you have someone who can shoot, drive and finish, and pass, there's not one definite way to defend it. JJB's decision making is key and depending on how they guard him, if he makes the right choices, theoretically you can't stop it. This is true on anyone running this play. you can keep him from beating you, but if he makes good choices others might be open for good looks at least. it's a lot more complicated than "just guard him"
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Dub's point is solid here. No one is saying that JJB is an unstoppable NBA force. But part of the Spurs gameplan is to devote massive defensive attention to Terry (guarding him with Bowen a lot) and Dirk (doubles and a ton of attention).

What if the Spurs decide they have to stop cheating off JJB so much, or even have Bowen stick him for a bit? (Don't laugh, they did that during a game this season when JJ was going off). That's a concession and it's going to help others on the floor.

When your backup PG has a skill set that requires for defenses to account for him in some way, that's an asset.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-20-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #25
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

Look SA is very surprised they lost the Game 1. More surprised especially after having a 13 point lead. Normally when SA has a 13 point lead, is like they have a 20 point lead..it is tough. So for Game # 2, its about how the Mavs deal with a initial punch by SA, you know they are going to come off the gates flying..trying to stick a knife in the Mavs..Mavs players have to weather that storm, and keep their heads cool and i think if Dirk & Jet play slightly better that they did in Game 1, Mavs win game 2 too..so it is all about attitude.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #26
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
I doubt there are really any adjustments specific to Barea that Pop will make. Barea benefitted from some slow defensive rotations, but all the Mavs did. I'm sure Pop will make that a point of emphasis, but it's not so much an adjustment. The only adjustment I want to see is from Parker. He let Barea get under his skin, kudos to JJ there, and he can't let that happen again.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #27
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

If JJB gets his picks from Bass or Dirk, he's tough to stop. The picks from Damp are bigger, but his lack of range makes the hard show more feasible. If Damp is on the near the paint on baseline with Timmy on him while Bass or Dirk set the pick for JJB, that's high percentage basketball.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

hilarious picture monty haha

For game 2, I expect a quieter game from Barea... but JET and Dirk are going to take a lot more shots... it was really a blessing in disguise to win game 1 because of Barea and Bass... it just gives the Spurs something else to think about.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Personally, I think JJB is going to get his no matter what. He probably won't take over a game again like he did last night, but the guy is skilled enough that you're not going to just "shut him down," especially given that you'd be foolish to commit that many resources to doing so when guys like Dirk and Terry are out there.

I'd expect JJB to be a borderline double-digit points contributor just about every game for the rest of the series.
I expect Pop to use George Hill to guard Barea. Hill is an excellent defender, I dont know how Barea will do versus Hill. I hope he can still contribute like he did in game 1 though.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #30
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro View Post
I doubt there are really any adjustments specific to Barea that Pop will make. Barea benefitted from some slow defensive rotations, but all the Mavs did. I'm sure Pop will make that a point of emphasis, but it's not so much an adjustment. The only adjustment I want to see is from Parker. He let Barea get under his skin, kudos to JJ there, and he can't let that happen again.
If I were Pop, I would go along with this line of reasoning. If I were Pop, I would also have a backup plan if Game 2 started to eerily look like Game 1.

But then again, if I were Pop I'd throw the game so the Mavs go up 2-0.

Last edited by purplefrog; 04-20-2009 at 01:07 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #31
CadBane
Banned

What I'm saying is if they guard JJB PERIOD, he won't "go off" (to the tune of 6-14 shooting...). I don't call that giving him more defensive pressure, I call that normal basketball. But we'll see what happens.

FYI, I doubt we see George Hill, Pops deemed him "unready" right bf the playoffs, but we'll see.

Last edited by CadBane; 04-20-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #32
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What I'm saying is if they guard JJB PERIOD, he won't "go off"
If you cover JJB PERIOD, then Dirk is no longer doubled - pick your poison...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #33
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What I'm saying is if they guard JJB PERIOD, he won't "go off" (to the tune of 6-14 shooting...). I don't call that giving him more defensive pressure, I call that normal basketball. But we'll see what happens.

FYI, I doubt we see George Hill, Pops deemed him "unready" right bf the playoffs, but we'll see.
I don't see your point. Not sure which parts of the game you felt he was left unguarded. The little guy created a lot of his shots off the dribble or off of picks. In my recollection, he wasn't just shooting wide open jump shots. He was getting into the lane, making the help side step up and creating a helluva lot of havoc.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 04-20-2009 at 01:43 PM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #34
TheMaverick
Golden Member

Hill is going to play less than 5 minutes.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #35
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
I don't see your point. Not sure which parts of the game you felt he was left unguarded. The little guy created a lot of his shots off the dribble or off of picks. In my recollection, he wasn't just shooting wide open jump shots. He was getting into the lane, making the help side step up and creating a helluva lot of havoc.
No, he was coming off PnR's with Dirk, with both men staying on Dirk, thus JJB was in the lane completely uncovered with no resistance, allowing him to create.

And yes, that would leave Dirk undoubled, and Terry too. My point isn't that this is bad, merely that it means JJB won't do as much damage. Which is fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #36
CadBane
Banned

JJB is so great that our coach makes him the focal point of the offense.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yeah, while I'm preaching patience, it was frustrating to see so much action going through JJB while he struggled, ESPECIALLY when Bowen was on him.

When Bowen is on JJB you take that as a victory and let someone else create offense while JJ stands in the corner reveling in the fact that he's respected to the point that the Spurs have Bowen on the floor to guard him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #38
CadBane
Banned

You mean instead of have him dribble out the whole clock and then throwing it away or getting his lay-up blocked?

Tags
every thread is stupid, stupid thread, wealp thread jinx