Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Dark Cuban
Banned

Dark Cuban can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
Perennial troll.
Aww. C'mon now. That's just rude!

Is that anyway to treat guests? I made a good point, don't you think?

By the way, the fact that it was my first post leads me to question whether or not you know the meaning of the word, "perennial."
Dark Cuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cuban View Post
Let me get this straight.

Dirk says it's all about winning it all. That nothing else matters. Before it was about making it to the play-offs. Then it was about making it out of the first round. Now it's about winning it all.

Yet you guys say that it's all about the stats. It's not about the rings. Not the one ring, the two rings, or the five.

It's the stats.

Figures.

Perennial losers.
It's about winning it all, to him, that is all is missing from his legacy, but to compare players, you have to take a look at the advanced stats, and prime impact. Stats don't lie. Basketball is a team sport, and you need multiple all-stars to win in this league. No matter how you put it, Dirk never had that. Do you really think Dirk doesn't win playing besides Shaq? Do you really think he doesn't win with a Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Artest supporting cast? Or with a prime Parker, and Manu Ginobili, and with Bowen, one of the best perimeter defender of all-time?

Dirk never had a real low-post presence playing next to him (something a lot of people think you can't win without, Kobe couldn't to this day...), he never had a truly great coach. He never had an elite perimeter defender. He never even had a legit all-star in his prime, playing next to him. A guy who makes it every other year. Forget about superstars. Yet, every advanced stat screaming to you, that he's just as good as those high impact players in the last decade.

Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Garnett. His adjusted +- ratings, PER, Win shares, everything shows you he's up there with them (actually, Bryant is the odd man out, his prime impact is not near to those guys). So Dirk is up there, he just happens to not won a ring yet, because he simply never had the supporting cast those guys had. It's really that simple.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 05-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Dark Cuban
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
It's about winning it all, to him, that is all is missing from his legacy, but to compare players, you have to take a look at the advanced stats, and prime impact. Stats don't lie. Basketball is a team sport, and you need multiple all-stars to win in this league. No matter how you put it, Dirk never had that. Do you really think Dirk doesn't win playing besides Shaq? Do you really think he doesn't win with a Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Artest supporting cast? Or with a prime Parker, and Manu Ginobili, and with Bowen, one of the best perimeter defender of all-time?

Dirk never had a real low-post presence playing next to him (something a lot of people think you can't win without, Kobe couldn't to this day...), he never had a truly great coach. He never had an elite perimeter defender. He never even had a legit all-star in his prime, playing next to him. A guy who makes it every other year. Forget about superstars. Yet, every advanced stat screaming to you, that he's just as good as those high impact players in the last decade.

Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Garnett. His adjusted +- ratings, PER, Win shares, everything shows you he's up there with them (actually, Bryant is the odd man out, his prime impact is not near to those guys). So Dirk is up there, he just happens to not won a ring yet, because he simply never had the supporting cast those guys had. It's really that simple.
If what you say is true, then there's a good reason Dirk has "the stats." Because he plays with scrubs. I remember Kobe going on 40 pt. games several years ago. He even scored 81 once. Now that's a stat. You know why? Because he played with scrubs. Your GM and owner must suck for perennially surrounding a great player with scrubs.

There's that word again - perennial
Old 04-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty amazing stat, Murph. Man, we are in the company of greatness right now...and some of us don't even know it!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
That's a pretty amazing stat, Murph. Man, we are in the company of greatness right now...and some of us don't even know it!
It's truly amazing... Can you imagine what we'll have when Dirk retires? We do not know how good we have it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't argue that. Of course, we really don't know what Dirk would do with a great team. I think we've seen that Dirk can take whatever you give him and turn it into one of the best teams in the NBA. It's just a shame that he's never really had anyone the caliber of Shaq or Gasol to play beside him. Nash wasn't the same player that he has been the past few years. Josh Howard?.. He's barely in the NBA. Antoine Walker? Seriously? Tyson Chandler? Definitely a solid player and almost even a borderline all-star type player. But that's nothing to write home about when he's possibly your 2nd best player.

I'm not trying to drag Kobe down in this thread. I'm just trying to show how truly great Dirk has been in the playoffs when compared to a guy that's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. When I say that his playoff numbers are probably slightly better than Kobe's..well, his playoff numbers are better than just about everyone that's ever played the game. It's not a knock on Kobe. I'm simply using Kobe as the example because the Mavs are playing the Lakers. Kobe is held on a pedastal as far as his playing ability goes and rightfully so. However, Dirk's numbers say that he's done more than any sane person could expect him to do in the playoffs.. much more.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-30-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I can't argue that. Of course, we really don't know what Dirk would do with a great team. I think we've seen that Dirk can take whatever you give him and turn it into one of the best teams in the NBA. It's just a shame that he's never really had anyone the caliber of Shaq or Gasol to play beside him. Nash wasn't the same player that he has been the past few years. Josh Howard?.. He's barely in the NBA. Antoine Walker? Seriously? Tyson Chandler? Definitely a solid player and almost even a borderline all-star type player. But that's nothing to write home about when he's possibly your 2nd best player.
Dirk has had more than decent collections of players around him, that's for sure, even if he hasn't had a Robin type. But it's frightening to imagine a decent supporting cast plus a guy like Vince Carter in his prime.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
tjeg

tjeg is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not trying to drag Kobe down in this thread. I'm just trying to show how truly great Dirk has been in the playoffs when compared to a guy that's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. When I say that his playoff numbers are probably slightly better than Kobe's..well, his playoff numbers are better than just about everyone that's ever played the game. It's not a knock on Kobe. I'm simply using Kobe as the example because the Mavs are playing the Lakers. Kobe is held on a pedastal as far as his playing ability goes and rightfully so. However, Dirk's numbers say that he's done more than any sane person could expect him to do in the playoffs.. much more.
That's why I feel Dirk could have been greater especially with these stats you just showed but unfortunately if you take a look at other factors(2006 finals, 2007 first round) all these will always be used against him and nobody will pay attention to some of these stats and performances. He has to breakthrough and beating the defending champions is where it starts.
tjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think this sums up how I feel about both players and therefore any "Kobe vs Dirk" debate.

I for one have never ever bought the notion that Kobe was in any way an overrated player. Nor have I ever bought the notion that he was in any way a selfish player who was holding his teammates back until Gasol arrived. He is without question the 2nd best player ever at his position, and for my money one of the top 10 greatest players ever at any position. I think he deserves every bit of the acclaim and praise that he gets.

That I think there is not that much of a gap between Kobe and Dirk has nothing to do with Kobe being overrated and everything to do with Dirk being one of the most monumentally underrated athletes in the history of professional sports. The fact that he's kept this team a perennial 50+ win team for the past decade despite being the only constant and not having anything close to another "star" playing next to him is an accomplishment that few others can claim. The dude is a guaranteed 50-wins. In the post-Jordan era, the only other players I would say that about are Duncan and Shaq. (One could also put Lebron in that category, but his sample size is a lot smaller, so it's a bit more difficult to tell.)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
NBA_fan_LA

NBA_fan_LA is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The bottom line is we will never know the answer to this debate for sure. It's only guessing at best. If they could switch places, that might tell us something. (The new Kobe-less Lakers with Dirk would really be tall tho.)
Stats wont do it because Kobe has more supporting help who want touches too and that keeps his averages down.
Both players are great so I look forward to watching their excellence on the big stage tonight.

Last edited by NBA_fan_LA; 05-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.
NBA_fan_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA_fan_LA View Post
The bottom line is we will never know the answer to this debate for sure. It's only guessing at best. If they could switch places, that might tell us something. (The new Kobe-less Lakers with Dirk would really be tall tho.)
Stats wont do it because Kobe has more supporting help who want touches too and that keeps his averages down.
Both players are great so I look forward to watching their excellence on the big stage tonight.
Having a solid supporting cast shouldn't hurt Kobe's shooting efficiency. Having an inferior supporting cast shouldn't help Dirk's shooting efficiency. Yet, Dirk is a much more efficient scorer in the playoffs than Kobe.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Oh sure, he's not surrounded by 14 Wang Zhizhi's... but he's not surrounded by Pau Gasol or Shaquille O'Neal... Dirk plus a mediocre supporting cast gets you 50 wins. Dirk plus a pretty good to good supporting cast made it to the finals. Dirk plus Shaq in or near his prime plus a mediocre to decent cast gets you domination of the NBA.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The only all-star dirk has ever played with was nashie...for way,way too short of a time. Since then nothing really.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
tjeg

I'm not sure if an elite center or an elite guard is what dirk needed, imagine kobe and dirk playing together it would be has effective has kobe and gasol, because dirk is very effective in the post and kobe will attract a lot of attention away from him.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeg View Post
I'm not sure if an elite center or an elite guard is what dirk needed, imagine kobe and dirk playing together it would be has effective has kobe and gasol, because dirk is very effective in the post and kobe will attract a lot of attention away from him.
In my opinion..either would have been tremendous. At this point in his career, I'd probably say an elite guard. Earlier in his career, I might have leaned towards and elite center.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

The problem is, Dirk could average 30 a game and be extremely efficient..be the best player on the court and the Mavs still have an uphill road. That's kinda the problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
tjeg

Quote:
The problem is, Dirk could average 30 a game and be extremely efficient..be the best player on the court and the Mavs still have an uphill road. That's kinda the problem.
i agree, like I said in the MacMahon thread the lakers have a higher margin for error which also gives kobe a higher margin for error. At the end of the day dirk's teamates have to come through for him , if not Dirk will take the blame irrespective of his performance.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is currently a better player and historically a better player. Not to say Kobe isn't pretty good tho. He's right up there with guys like Clyde Drexler and Dominique for one of the top 5 or so shooting guards of all time. Guy just got really lucky to get Phil, Shaq, and Pau. But we've all seen his true colors. The only list he tops is the historically overrated player list.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #19
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Remember when the Lakers offered the Mavs kobe for dirk after Kobe went into his diva mode, and the mavs refused?

To this day, that was the right decision.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #20
LA24KB4L
Banned

LA24KB4L is infamous around these partsLA24KB4L is infamous around these parts

Kobe > dirk all day.. mavs choke so much, i guess texas teams has a thing of #1 seed loosing to a #8 seed? lol.. but thats the past.. lets see how quiet this forum gets when the game will go 4-0, 4-1 Lal>dal. Pau will shut down dirk
LA24KB4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA24KB4L View Post
Kobe > dirk all day.. mavs choke so much, i guess texas teams has a thing of #1 seed loosing to a #8 seed? lol.. but thats the past.. lets see how quiet this forum gets when the game will go 4-0, 4-1 Lal>dal. Pau will shut down dirk
Well, you're certainly not going to last here if you can't communicate more intelligibly than that. But to speak to your argument...we'll see. And I doubt we'll see you here if it doesn't go your way.

Last edited by chumdawg; 05-01-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Well, you're certainly not going to last here if you can't communicate more intelligibly than that. But to speak to your argument...we'll see. And I doubt we'll see you here if it doesn't go your way.
The moment that clown compared Dirk to Hitler on the bias of Dirk be German I knew he lacked intelligence. That being said I'm a terrible X & O's guy, but even I can carry on a more intelligent basketball conversation then these trolls.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #23
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
The moment that clown compared Dirk to Hitler on the bias of Dirk be German I knew he lacked intelligence. That being said I'm a terrible X & O's guy, but even I can carry on a more intelligent basketball conversation then these trolls.
And on a personal note, every time you post it makes me happy because i get to eyeball the Mavs girl in your sig. Win-win!
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #24
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

yikes laker trolls. ban em
Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #25
Dark Cuban
Banned

I may have had a bit much to drink. But I can't help but laugh at the fact that I'm a "dark cuban."

LMAO.

I kill myself.

Hey! I'm doing as you suggest! I'm killing myself!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #26
Dark Cuban
Banned

Who's talking trash?

I call this a constructive dialogue.

Lakers lose a game? Then I'm talking trash.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Dark Cuban, actually, Dirk's efficiency stats should SUFFER becuase he plays with an inferior lineup to Kobe. But that's not the case. Dirk is actually a more efficient scorer from 2pt, 3pt, and FT% than Kobe despite lacking the same assistance that Kobe has in LA. That's where your theory has a huge hole in it.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #28
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

dirk this year will prove he is the best player in this league.go dirk go mavs
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

honestly kobe doesn't even worry me. it's bynum, gasol, odom, and the other role players that i'm worried about.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
honestly kobe doesn't even worry me. it's bynum, gasol, odom, and the other role players that i'm worried about.
Absolutely correct!
I actually would even lower that to Bynum and Odom.
Odom actually does a very good job defensively against Dirk because of his size and speed and he is sometimes very dominant on offense for the same reasons.

The Mavs have not had a real answer for Bynum since he has emerged.
We only advance if we can control or at least neutralize their advantages in the paint.
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #31
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Mavs got the best player in the series. Problem is that the Lakers have the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best players and the better coach. Our guys better step up.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
snackdaddy

snackdaddy is infamous around these parts

Its really not fair to compare the two. Totally different types of players on different types of teams. Dirk is a much better shooter, and a lot taller. Kobe has other intangibles. Part of is persona is his personality. His value is his leadership. The way he pushes and demands more from his team. Anyone really think they win the last two titles if he was just a passive player who went about his own business? Probably not. Dirk is not that type of person. If I were to sit down and have beers with one, it would be Dirk, not Kobe. I think I would enjoy his company more. Like someone said, he's a better peson. But if I want to win a championship, I would take Kobe and not have beers with him. Sorry Dirk fans, thats just the way it is.
snackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdaddy View Post
Its really not fair to compare the two. Totally different types of players on different types of teams. Dirk is a much better shooter, and a lot taller. Kobe has other intangibles. Part of is persona is his personality. His value is his leadership. The way he pushes and demands more from his team. Anyone really think they win the last two titles if he was just a passive player who went about his own business? Probably not. Dirk is not that type of person. If I were to sit down and have beers with one, it would be Dirk, not Kobe. I think I would enjoy his company more. Like someone said, he's a better peson. But if I want to win a championship, I would take Kobe and not have beers with him. Sorry Dirk fans, thats just the way it is.
I think that if you asked the players in the Mavs clubhouse, you'd find that they consider Dirk a leader. I also think that if you asked Kobe's teammates throughout the years, you'd probably find that he's viewed as less of a leader as you're making him out to be. I'm not saying tha the's not a leader at all.. Just saying that I don't think the chasm between their leadership abilities is nearly as wide as you think.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #34
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that if you asked the players in the Mavs clubhouse, you'd find that they consider Dirk a leader. I also think that if you asked Kobe's teammates throughout the years, you'd probably find that he's viewed as less of a leader as you're making him out to be. I'm not saying tha the's not a leader at all.. Just saying that I don't think the chasm between their leadership abilities is nearly as wide as you think.
And also that Kobe is the kind of guy to make a big show about his "leadership", whereas Dirk is not. Kobe's the kind of guy to pat himself on the back and publicly "coach" his teammates(often leading to an uncomfortable "get me out of here" look on said teammates face as they try to walk by).

Was it after the Miami game earlier this season when he held his after game personal practice session? As i think Simmons pointed out he could've done it on the Staples practice court. But then of course some in the press dutifully reported it as "the passion of Kobe". He's a calculating child-star type twat who's every move is scripted(except for the faggot thing).

Dirk on the other hand is sincere and deferential. I suppose if Dirk had made a bigger show about destroying the Blazers after Chris Johnson's foul, whooping it up and taunting them, it may have made a Sportscenter highlight. Class and efficiency and quiet determination doesn't sell.

Last edited by mac222b; 05-01-2011 at 02:32 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #35
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I love Dirk, he's my favorite NBA player of all-time, and I think he should have won the MVP this year... but that said, he isn't as good as Kobe. No way.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #36
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

They're dropping like flies. Love it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #37
DaMuleRules

DaMuleRules is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
They're dropping like flies. Love it.
I like Caron. One of my favorite former Lakers of years past. He's a friend of Kobe, and like Kobe, I was really disappointed when the Lakers traded him.

But Caron knows what's up. He knows what Kobe and the Lakers are about. He's been a part of it and seen it first hand.

He knows he's just whistling through the graveyard when it comes to talking tough about facing the Lakers.
DaMuleRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #38
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

What a sickening display of every fallacy and misconception of both Bryant and Nowitzki that there ever was.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 05-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #39
DaMuleRules

DaMuleRules is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
What a sickening display of every fallacy and misconception of both Bryant and Nowitzki that there ever was.
No misconceptions here. Just facts.

Kobe 62 - Dirk AND the Mavs 61.

Not a misocnception.

But if you have meaningful information to dispute the facts, by all means attempt to put me in my place. But breaking out ridiculous accusations of "misconceptions" in response to historically obvious observations doesn't even remotely come close to doing so. Which I am sure you realize, which explains why you didn't attempt to do otherwise.

Reading this thread it is extremely obvious that there are a lot of Mavs fans who only watch the Mavs and only the Mavs in the post season when the Mavs are in it and stop the second they are eliminated - as they routinely are.
DaMuleRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMuleRules View Post
No misconceptions here. Just facts.

Kobe 62 - Dirk AND the Mavs 61.

Not a misocnception.

But if you have meaningful information to dispute the facts, by all means attempt to put me in my place. But breaking out ridiculous accusations of "misconceptions" in response to historically obvious observations doesn't even remotely come close to doing so. Which I am sure you realize, which explains why you didn't attempt to do otherwise.

Reading this thread it is extremely obvious that there are a lot of Mavs fans who only watch the Mavs and only the Mavs in the post season when the Mavs are in it and stop the second they are eliminated - as they routinely are.
That was a hella nice game by Kobe, that one. But of course, we would be wise to look at more than just the one or two best games the player ever had.

What I would like to talk about is performance in closeout games--either way: win to advance or lose to go home. I believe that Dirk has a quite solid record in that regard. The one game that I will always remember of Kobe's--as long as we are picking just one game to talk about--would be the Game Seven against the Suns, when Kobe threw his teammates, his coaches, his fans, and the entire franchise under the bus when he refused to play.

That's an image of Kobe I'll never be able to forget. Jordan would never have done such a thing. Nor, of course, Dirk.

Kobe has done a lot of great things and deserves tremendous respect in most areas. But he's got a little too much "me" to him for my tastes.

Tags
ban em all, cadpolishesmodknob, enough! ban cad!, laker trolls post here, return of the quack!, trolls everywhere