Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who stays and who goes?

Luckily (or unluckily) a lot of our guys will be coming back next year. Continuity is important-- just look at the Spurs and the number of first-year teams that win in the playoffs. Still, even if we don't trade, we'll have to re-sign a few guys

On contract next season
Ellis (8.7m)
Calderon (7.1m)
Wright (5.0m)
Ellington (2.5m)
Larkin (1.6m)
Ledo (0.8m)
Mekel (0.8m)

Team option
Dalembert (3.9m option)

FA/UFA
Dirk
Marion
Carter
Harris
Blair
Crowder
James

Who do you re-sign? Who do you trade? Who do you let walk

re-sign
Dirk (8-10m)
Marion (2-4m) - a little on the fence, but as a backup, he's still got some rebounding at least and is still decent defending the 3-4-- just can't do the 1/2 or 5.
Carter (2-3m) - still has something in the tank as a sparkplug and is wily as a vet.
Harris (3m) - dude was good this season and great this offseason. Easily our best defensive player.
Blair (3m) - good backup C who can really pound the ball and get physical.

walk
James
Crowder

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-04-2014 at 08:00 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Crowder actually has a team option at .9Mil that I think is a virtual certainty to be exercised.

There's no way Blair gets 3Mil from anyone. Don't think either he or Wright is on the team next season. Dalembert is a no brainer at 3.9 Mil as a backup, imo.

Was surprised and happy to have Skin tell me on Twitter that he thinks Marion is a good bet to come back in a bench role on a cheap contract. I've assumed all along (and still do) that Vince would be back on the cheap, but I hadn't considered it much for Marion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-04-2014 at 08:05 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

What about center? Are we planning on going with the same 3 next season? I think someone has to go, whether not resigning Blair or packaging Wright with a 1st rounder.

Now isn't the time for FO to get nostalgic because they didn't resign anyone from the champ season.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
What about center? Are we planning on going with the same 3 next season? I think someone has to go, whether not resigning Blair or packaging Wright with a 1st rounder.

Now isn't the time for FO to get nostalgic because they didn't resign anyone from the champ season.
Continuity doesn't mean everyone comes back. I'd say there is approximately zero chance that next year's starting center is currently on the roster.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
soundchaser
Banned

soundchaser is infamous around these parts

Obviously the possibilities are going to start with adding to our center position then figuring out how to keep Devin and add another PG prospect at the same time while still getting an upgrade at SF.
soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser View Post
Obviously the possibilities are going to start with adding to our center position then figuring out how to keep Devin and add another PG prospect at the same time while still getting an upgrade at SF.
Another PG prospect? Isn't that Larkin?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Luckily (or unluckily) a lot of our guys will be coming back next year. Continuity is important-- just look at the Spurs and the number of first-year teams that win in the playoffs. Still, even if we don't trade, we'll have to re-sign a few guys

On contract next season
Ellis (8.7m)
Calderon (7.1m)
Wright (5.0m)
Ellington (2.5m)
Larkin (1.6m)
Ledo (0.8m)
Mekel (0.8m)

Team option
Dalembert (3.9m option)

FA/UFA
Dirk
Marion
Carter
Harris
Blair
Crowder
James

re-sign
Dirk (8-10m)
Marion (2-4m) - a little on the fence, but as a backup, he's still got some rebounding at least and is still decent defending the 3-4-- just can't do the 1/2 or 5.
Carter (2-3m) - still has something in the tank as a sparkplug and is wily as a vet.
Harris (3m) - dude was good this season and great this offseason. Easily our best defensive player.
Blair (3m) - good backup C who can really pound the ball and get physical.

walk
James
Crowder
With Daly option+Dirk10m, the salary is at 40.4

Harris and Carter pushes to 46.4
Might as well pick up Crowder for 0.9

47.3 million.

That leaves 15m and I wonder if that's enough for a center and a guy like Deng. I dont think there is enough money for Matrix.

Monroe/Sanders are looking at nice paydays. Deng wanted a lot as well knowing it would be his last big contract. Tough decisions to be made.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

trade trix and crowder (if necesary wright too) and cut dalembert and sarge
ffballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/...t-season.html/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Continuity doesn't mean everyone comes back. I'd say there is approximately zero chance that next year's starting center is currently on the roster.
I wish that were true. Donnie Nelson thinks otherwise.

Last edited by Melonhead; 05-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Another PG prospect? Isn't that Larkin?
and Mekel-- both under contract for next year.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/...t-season.html/

I wish that were true. Donnie Nelson thinks otherwise.
Um...that quote from Donnie doesn't refute my stance at all. Dalembert makes a ton of sense as a backup. He'd actually be underpaid as a 3.8Mil backup.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

I hope not to get carried away chasing a center. Next years FA crop is full of bigs so I'd look for one on a 1 year deal via trade or maybe go after Pau Gasol or Hawes on a reasonable contract though I am not sure either of them will be that cheap.

Of course you know the Mavs will at least make their pitches to Melo and Lebron if he chooses to opt out before they do anything else.

I'd like to get either Lowry or Stephenson and trade Calderon. I like Calderon but other than shooting and being reliable vet he doesn't supply much. And he doesn't seem to be such a shooter in clutch time. Mavs need to give his minutes to another playmaker or get some defense in the guard rotation.

I really like Wright a lot but he may need to go if he add a starter at center. I'm sure he'd make a real good starting PF for someone.

Really would like to keep Marion and VC but it will have to be real cheap. Hopefully they like Dallas and being Mavs and give the hometown discount. Same goes for Devin.

The only way I want to trade a future 1st is if we get one back this year in a good draft.

Crowder. He's OK for the price. I expect he will return but could be a throw in a deal too.

Last edited by sig; 05-04-2014 at 09:44 PM.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

On contract next season
Ellis (8.7m)
Calderon (7.1m)
Wright (5.0m)
Ellington (2.5m)
Larkin (1.6m)
Ledo (0.8m)
Mekel (0.8m)
From this list of guys, I think one of Calderon/Ellis absolutely HAS TO GO. Whether it's Ellis, who we could probably get about twice the return on, or Calderon, who might be worth more to us than he is to our opponents, and whose value here would increase even more if/when he took on a more traditional PG role.

I also think it's time to admit that Wright both A.) Can't play extended minutes next to Dirk and B.) Can't bang inside with most legit centers and power forwards, and trade him while his value is seemingly going to be very high. He's on a reasonable contract for his production, and I'd love to take advantage of that contract by possibly using him as a chip in a deal where we take on extra salary... maybe for a guy like Chandler, S&T Monroe, Sanders, Okafor S&T... types of guys like that. Our #1 offseason priority needs to be getting a real center. We don't have one on the roster who is giving max effort every night.

I also don't have much of an opinion on Larkin, Ledo, Mekel or Ellington. If we can get better players in deals for them, I'm all over that. Ledo is the one of the 4 I'd be most interested in keeping, followed in order by Ellington, Larkin and Mekel.

Quote:
Team option
Dalembert (3.9m option)
Crowder
If we have to decide early on Daly, then obviously we almost have to keep him... but I'm not sold that he's going to behave here as a backup. If we have an honest conversation with him and find out he's all in, then that's awesome. But I think the chances of that are extremely slim. My gut says we should decline the option and let him take a walk.

Crowder has an option at a little under $1M and that's a no-brainer for me.

Quote:
FA/UFA
Dirk
Marion
Carter
Harris
Blair
James

- I give Dirk whatever he wants (likely something like 3yrs/$30M or thereabouts).
- Marion I offer about half MLE money for two years and a chance to compete for the starting job, which he might still be our best option for.
- I give Vince whatever he wants. I bet some team is going to be looking at giving him the MLE or something close to it... I wouldn't be thrilled about matching that kind of offer but our bench is in ruins without him. Hopefully we could do a deal around 2yrs/$6M.
- Devin has likely outplayed that sweetheart 3yr/$9M offer, but if he'll still take it I'm excited to bring him back at that amount. Otherwise I'd be willing to go as high as $4.5M per year for him. He was, for most of the year, our best option at backup PG and I would hate to lose him over $1.5M per season or whatever the amount is. I doubt he makes a power play for more money but if it's reasonable, please bring him back.
- If Blair wants to come back at the minimum exception, come on back, but I would imagine that he'll get offers for more money and playing time elsewhere after we make what is hopefully a couple of moves to shore up our frontcourt. I love DJ's energy, rebounding, and strangely effective teardrop, but I don't think he can play center for us. Maybe if we sign an offensive-minded center who is also capable of being a rim protector, or overhaul our wing rotation so they're all solid defenders, then there's a role for DJ as the backup PF as a scorer and rebounder, but I can't watch him as our last line of defense at the rim against second units anymore. It gives me ulcers.
- Sarge is looking like a league minimum type of player. If we have a roster spot open after we spend the rest of our cap space, I'd be happy to see him back for his usual limited role, but if we can't bring him back it honestly won't affect our roster makeup in a major way.

Looking at the offseason from a much broader perspective, I think it's important that we bring about half or more of our free agents back from a chemistry perspective, but if we mostly cleaned house and brought in a team with more of a defensive identity, I am most concerned that we bring back Dirk, Vince, and one of Ellis/Calderon. The rest of the pieces are likely going to be new if we are taking a serious look at revamping the makeup of this team. I am 100% against spending most of what will likely be about $18-20M in cap space (before trades and after bringing a couple of guys back) on one player (via trade of FA), whether it's Melo, Gortat, Deng, Ariza, or any of those guys. If we do bring in a high-ticket player I hope that guy is a beast defensively and that we are able to shed some salary in addition to signing/trading for him. My overall official strategy is to trade 1 of Calderon/Ellis and Wright, and use that cap space to bring in a dynamic, shot-blocking/rebounding center and a pair of quality wing defenders who are at least competent three point shooters.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Bring almost everyone back. Reconstruct Dirk's contract. See if Marion and Carter would take a flexible 1 year. Just enough to sign someone like Gordon Hayward. Move on with sarge. Draft a center. Or trade up to draft the best center we can. I don't want Deng cause of this assumption he'll stay in Cleveland.

Another route I can see if Mavs really want to be bold. Is find a way trading for Noah using our draft picks and maybe Wright. Then move on with Marion to sign Carmelo. Just to think Monta, Dirk, Melo, and Noah. That's a long shot to think.

Dalembert could be a great backup center. Even if we draft the best center out there. That could help a bunch.

We need to keep a core group together to build more chemistry heading to next season. No more rentals.

Last edited by yahyes; 05-04-2014 at 09:31 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

If they want to re-sign Marion they would simply have to find a way to dump Ellington. I would almost just assume any scenario that involves bringing back Marion is almost $$$ neutral by also unloading Ellington.

Roster just makes no sense with Marion/Vince/new starting SF/Jae/Ellington.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Um...that quote from Donnie doesn't refute my stance at all. Dalembert makes a ton of sense as a backup. He'd actually be underpaid as a 3.8Mil backup.
As a back up yeah its fine. I was going off your post that said he wouldn't be on the roster at all.

Do we try and trade wright? The team can only go so far with this committee of centers
Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Also, for roster construction purposes, I would assume Vince takes our room exception. That guy's not going anywhere.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
As a back up yeah its fine. I was going off your post that said he wouldn't be on the roster at all.

Do we try and trade wright? The team can only go so far with this committee of centers
I said *next* year's starting center is not currently on the roster. I didn't say anything about *this* year's starting center.

I feel very positive that Wright will be traded. Big men that don't make up for Dirk's now-significant deficiencies in rebounding and PnR defense just don't fit. From an asset management standpoint, bringing him back this season made a ton of sense because they could go over the cap after signing everyone else. Now they need to trade him. He's a quality player at the money he's making, he just doesn't fit here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

On paper I'd love to keep Daly, but I know where going to get shit effort from him most nights if we tell him going in that he's the backup.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
On paper I'd love to keep Daly, but I know where going to get shit effort from him most nights if we tell him going in that he's the backup.
Why? He'd likely play roughly the same number of minutes he played for us this season. Backing up at center isn't like backing up Monta at SG. You still play heavy minutes.

Besides, who else is he going to start for?

I think Dally as the backup is basically a foregone conclusion at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said *next* year's starting center is not currently on the roster. I didn't say anything about *this* year's starting center.

I feel very positive that Wright will be traded. Big men that don't make up for Dirk's now-significant deficiencies in rebounding and PnR defense just don't fit. From an asset management standpoint, bringing him back this season made a ton of sense because they could go over the cap after signing everyone else. Now they need to trade him. He's a quality player at the money he's making, he just doesn't fit here.
Exactly. He's a very efficient guy who can give you good bench production, particularly if you play him some at the 4 as well. Doesn't fit here very well because we need the production at 5, and he can't rebound or defend like needed.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #22
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Ah yeah totally read that wrong
Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #23
vcmavs25

vcmavs25 has a spectacular aura aboutvcmavs25 has a spectacular aura aboutvcmavs25 has a spectacular aura about

Who i think need to stay Ellis, Larkin, Dalembert, Dirk, Harris and Blair. Marion and Carter needs to go to a contender, i like Calderon but this team need a PG who can defend like Livington,I hope Wright is traded can't rebound and get killed in the paint. The rest trade or waive them.
vcmavs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #24
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

This probably has no chance of happening but I'd like to see this as a possible situation.

Trade Calderon/Wright/Larkin (and pick if necessary) for someone like Chandler or Varejao
Trade Ellington and $3mil cash for a 2nd rnd pick.
Sign Deng
Sign Stevenson (long shot but who knows)
Let Dalembert walk (if necessary) or make him part of the Chandler deal.
Pickup some bargain guys (like Blair this year, Brand last year, etc...) to fill out the roster.

I think we need to do more than just tweak the roster this year. Need to do some overhauling of the core imo.

Ellis/Mekel
Stevenson/VC/Ledo
Deng/Crowder
Dirk/Boston's 2nd
Chandler or Varejao/Dalembert ?/James

If I'm not mistaken that gives us around $24mil in cap space to sign Stevenson and Deng. If Dirk would sign for a little less we could probably keep Dalembert or resign Harris.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-04-2014 at 10:29 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #25
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

We have a nice collection of backup and role players. Marion (Starter) and Carter (6th man) ideally take a step back and open the spots for younger/better guys, but they form a nice second unit with Harris, Daly, Crowder.

So what we need is a starting SF and C and the situation around PG has to be sorted out. I personally don't think you can get away playing Calderon and Ellis together and make the upgrade from a dangerous team to a contender unless you ship in elite defensive talent at the bigger positions.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #26
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
This probably has no chance of happening but I'd like to see this as a possible situation.

Trade Calderon/Wright/Larkin for someone like Chandler or Varejao
Trade Ellington and $3mil cash for a 2nd rnd pick.
Sign Deng
Sign Stevenson (long shot but who knows)
Let Dalembert walk (if necessary) or make him part of the Chandler deal.
Pickup some bargain guys (like Blair this year, Brand last year, etc...) to fill out the roster.

I think we need to do more than just tweak the roster this year. Need to do some overhauling of the core imo.

Ellis/Mekel
Stevenson/VC/Ledo
Deng/Crowder
Dirk/Boston's 2nd
Chandler or Varejao/Dalembert ?/James

If I'm not mistaken that gives us around $24mil in cap space to sign Stevenson and Deng. If Dirk would sign for a little less we could probably keep Dalembert.
nah lets keep stephenson out of dallas hes a locker room drama queen i rather pick either lowry or rondo, cut both daly and james keep blair and bring either monroe sanders or randolph
ffballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #27
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
We have a nice collection of backup and role players. Marion (Starter) and Carter (6th man) ideally take a step back and open the spots for younger/better guys, but they form a nice second unit with Harris, Daly, Crowder.

So what we need is a starting SF and C and the situation around PG has to be sorted out. I personally don't think you can get away playing Calderon and Ellis together and make the upgrade from a dangerous team to a contender unless you ship in elite defensive talent at the bigger positions.

If you want young SF.. then I think Gordon Hayward would be the best option. He's a solid scorer and could be molded into a decent defensive player by Carlisle. I also don't think he would demand too much money.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #28
yahyes
Banned

Wouldn't mind if we can deal Larkin, Mekel, Wright, and draft picks to get someone big in return.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #29
Rick Carlisle

Rick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant future

Should stay: The coaching staff

Should go: The players and the people responsible for cleaning the bathroom
Rick Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carlisle View Post
Should stay: The coaching staff

Should go: The players and the people responsible for cleaning the bathroom
I think you are a great coach and all, but isn't that a bit harsh?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #31
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
If you want young SF.. then I think Gordon Hayward would be the best option. He's a solid scorer and could be molded into a decent defensive player by Carlisle. I also don't think he would demand too much money.
Would take Hayward. Im pretty sure he didnt make much at all last couple years. Would help in spacing the floor. Havent followed him enough to know how he is on defense.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #32
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Would take Hayward. Im pretty sure he didnt make much at all last couple years. Would help in spacing the floor. Havent followed him enough to know how he is on defense.
He was a lottery pick too. I'm not too worried about the defense. Because coach would have a nice project to work with.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Hayward was a terrible defender, but an above-average rebounder (on par with Carter).

Then again all of his stats were pretty poor this year other than rebounding, passing and dribbling. Both his offense and defense could pick up with a better coach and better guys around him.

FG%, 3pt FG% and defensive acuity numbers were all some of his worst, but could be indicative of playing on a trainwreck of a Jazz team. He only shot 41%/30% but is a career 43%/37% guy, which isn't stellar but is pretty decent for a backup. 41st among SGs in TS%, but also 11th in PER, because he does so much to rebound and set other players up.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-04-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #34
spreedom
Diamond Member

Hayward is a restricted FA this summer and was probably Utah's best player last season. I doubt they let him go and we really shouldn't consider maxing him out either.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #35
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Hayward is a restricted FA this summer and was probably Utah's best player last season. I doubt they let him go and we really shouldn't consider maxing him out either.
He made 3.4 last year and turned down a contract extension with the Jazz in October. He is restricted (qualifying offer of 4.6), but I think he could be had for 5m.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #36
spreedom
Diamond Member

Zero chance we sign him at $5M. That is fantasy island type of stuff.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #37
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

I would only want Shawn Marion back at around 3-4 million a year and coming of the bench. Some people may think Luol Deng is being overrated because alot of us Dallas Mavericks fans talk about him frequently. Luol Deng is a GREAT defensive player, he slashes to the basket and he plays unselfish and smart. The main negative on Deng has been his 3pt shooting and health. If he can stay healthy, I believe a triple threat of Monta, Dirk and Deng would be DANGEROUS for the rest of the league. And the final piece to that team would be a quality center. Greg Monroe, Marcin Gortat and Emeka Okafor are my 3 options. If the Pistons are refusing to match Greg Monroe's contract this summer, that would be wonderful for Dallas to go after him. Gortat and Okafor should be in Dallas's radar as well. This upcoming 2014-2015 season should be the year in which the Mavericks really try to get younger. For the past 3 seasons it seems like the Mavericks are trying to do that. The 2011-2012 season we had 8 players over the age of 30.The 2012-2013 season we had 7 players of 30. This season we had 6. If we cut bait with VCarter and Marion, and if we go after younger quality guys, I think it can help us. Having Monta Ellis, Luol Deng and Greg Monroe would be a nice core to have after Dirk retires.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #38
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He made 3.4 last year and turned down a contract extension with the Jazz in October. He is restricted (qualifying offer of 4.6), but I think he could be had for 5m.
Gordon Hayward 5 million? LOL.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #39
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
You're kidding, Utah would match that in a nano second. He's looking at at least 7-8 millions on the open market.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 AM   #40
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Deng, Gortat, Lowry, Granger, Ariza, those are the unrestrected guys i'd take a look at, if we're not thinking about a meaningful trade. Which we shouldn't, because we have no assets. Theoretically, could there be a realistic scenario where we end up with 3 of those guys?
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bombastic