Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future
Default News Flash: The Houston Rivalry is Real

For years we have been battling back and forth with San Antonio. I haven't given two thoughts to the Houston team or fan base until recently. We were relevant for 13 years, and they were not. Simple as that. But now,with how the last two off seasons have gone, the back and forth between Morey and Cuban, and now what seems to be extremely hostile feelings by the Houston fan base, I have to say we have reached rivalry status.

Personally, I love the thought of having such a vested interest in another teams demise now that the Heat are dismantled. We have always had a hate/love relationship with San Antonio. We hate how they whine and flop across the court, but at the same time we can't help but respect who they are as an organization. The Rockets on the other hand are something different. I have been a long time reader of all 3 teams forums, but recently things have escalated on their end. Here are a few quotes I have grabbed in just 5 minutes of looking for something to show:

J Hard, "Lol Not really, all those guys are streaky besides Dirk. Tyson is non existent offensively and not much of an upgrade over Dalembert, if any. Feltons trash, place Harden on him, Bev on Monta, Ariza will lock down overrated Parsons, Dirk will be dirk, and Howard owns Tyson. Not worried about tht team, doubt their bench will be any good. "

Nickb492
, "I loved him but he made me cringe saying he was the best SF in the league. He didn't show up at all in the playoffs and even when we needed him cause Harden was sucking it up, he never played to his potential. I will miss the dunks and when I met he was generally a really nice guy and appreciative to my compliments to his playing. I hope he is happy in Dallas but I can't for Rockets to destroy them next season."

TheREalist1337, "Report Post Multi-Quote This Message Reply With Quote
At this point I don't even care if we miss the Playoffs as long as we sweep the Mavs in the regular season. But we all know it will be the OTHER way around "

Honestly, it seems they have no respect for the team MBT has constructed. Tysons defense is "overrated and going downhill". Parsons now "can't guard anyone". They assume Felton is our starter > Harris and hes a fat joke.

So how do we feel Mavs fans? I haven't seen much name calling here on our forums or hate. Just general classiness and respect with the small exception for the slight giggle at Morey's antics. Does us adding Parsons add something to the fire in this in state rivalry?

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-13-2014 at 07:24 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

A true rivalry can only exist between equals... Houston just blew that chance.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-13-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

I guess another question I have is are we, as Mavs fans, as delusional as it seems the Rockets fanbase is?

"Tyson is non existent offensively, and not much of an upgrade over dalembert, if any". This isn't the only quote in regards to this. In all seriousness there are over 100 posts in the last 3 days alone just going to town on the Mavericks roster in what seems like very questionable opinions. I know we are biased as fans to the team that we love, but are we truly that delusional or are the Rockets fans just that cray cray?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
A rivalry can only exist between equals... Houston just blew that chance.
I'ma close this thread on that note.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
A true rivalry can only exist between equals... Houston just blew that chance.
I agree to a point, but the hostility be exerted by the Houston fan base and just general lack of respect towards MBT has escalated things imo. It's like the difference between going to a Texas vs Texas A&M game vs going to an Alabama vs Auburn fan game. Don't get me wrong both are amazing games to go to.... and Texas vs Texas A&M gets heated, but you don't know "heated" until you have stepped into that stadium in Tuscaloosa and watched that game. The fans make it what it is.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

From reading Clutchfans these last couple of days I can see that those guys really don't like us. I don't understand why but I guess all those years of Jet and Dirk burning them really rubbed them the wrong way. To me in the Dirk era apart from T-Mac's dunk on Shawn Bradley those guys really don't have anything on us. Anyway, I'm not really worried if this becomes an intense rivalry. I think our team can handle it.

PS- More gold from Clutchfans...
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
I guess another question I have is are we, as Mavs fans, as delusional as it seems the Rockets fanbase is?
Houston fans think their two rings from 20 years ago somehow hold as much weight TODAY as our ring from 4 years ago, even though we still have Dirk and Carlisle... They've had one playoff series win since Jordan was dominating the league - who's delusional?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Underdog

Quote:
I agree to a point, but the hostility be exerted by the Houston fan base and just general lack of respect towards MBT has escalated things imo.
It's all one-way though. Do you really care what a Rockets fan thinks? I certainly don't... They might not even be a playoff team in the West next season.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Houston fans think their two rings from 20 years ago somehow hold as much weight TODAY as our ring from 4 years ago, even though we still have Dirk and Carlisle... They've had one playoff series win since Jordan was dominating the league - who's delusional?
Excellent point. You know I really hate when Fans bring up championships that were won decades ago as reasoning in why their team is currently better than yours. It just makes no sense if you ask me.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Maybe I'm just biased and delusional, but almost every Rockets fan on ClutchFans is completely ignorant. All of them just sh*tted on the Richard Jefferson signing, saying how dumb Cuban is and all this. Really?? It's a vets minimum deal on a guy who can simply knock down threes at a high rate. And he's a former really good player so he has experience and knows what he's doing. They try to criticize everything any other team does besides themselves, especially the Mavs. We could've signed Lebron and they would've called Cuban an idiot. Meanwhile... the Rockets have now lost their three best players not named Harden or Howard (CP, Lin, Asik), gave up their first rounder next season for nothing, and only gained Trevor Ariza, who's obviously a downgrade from Parsons.

Idk what's up with them guys over there. I've been temped to make an account on there and just own everyone but I don't think it's worth it. They seems like the kind of people that would be impossible to get through to. I guess I'll just wait for the season to start and laugh at them as they underachieve and take a major step backwards.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Went over there for the first time ever last couple days, and have no interest in listening to them babble. As a whole, more irrational fanbase.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Maybe I'm just biased and delusional, but almost every Rockets fan on ClutchFans is completely ignorant. All of them just sh*tted on the Richard Jefferson signing, saying how dumb Cuban is and all this. Really?? It's a vets minimum deal on a guy who can simply knock down threes at a high rate. And he's a former really good player so he has experience and knows what he's doing. They try to criticize everything any other team does besides themselves, especially the Mavs. We could've signed Lebron and they would've called Cuban an idiot. Meanwhile... the Rockets have now lost their three best players not named Harden or Howard (CP, Lin, Asik), gave up their first rounder next season for nothing, and only gained Trevor Ariza, who's obviously a downgrade from Parsons.

Idk what's up with them guys over there. I've been temped to make an account on there and just own everyone but I don't think it's worth it. They seems like the kind of people that would be impossible to get through to. I guess I'll just wait for the season to start and laugh at them as they underachieve and take a major step backwards.
Yeah, Clutchfans ain't exactly a haven for classy behavior - they're pretty much the 4chan of sports forums. Seriously, you guys need to stop reading posts over there... Your IQ will thank you for it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Went over there for the first time ever last couple days, and have no interest in listening to them babble. As a whole, more irrational fanbase.
That's the perfect term for those fans: irrational.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
That's the perfect term for those fans: irrational.
It's what happens when you go 20 years without a championship.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

ClutchFans:

"I wish Chandler the worst of luck."

"Also, F*** Chandler F***Cuban F*** Dallas"

"**** Dallas.
No Rockets fan should ever be caught dead rooting for that franchise."

lol ok i'm done going to their site, but it's just so tempting to see what sh*t they'll say next
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #16
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It's what happens when you go 20 years without a championship.
I suppose. Just blows my mind how much they hate us. We literally have done nothing to them at all. I don't see abunch of crazy Mavs fans running around acting a fool. I mean sure you can run across a loon from any team, but like for real its at least 75% hatred over there and its STRONG. They have some fans that make sense and all that, but even most of them still consider our team crap. They say we are screaming 60 wins next year? Um no. I think the majority of us see us as 5-6 wins better in an extremely deep West conference that is going to be tough to get out of. The difference is we have faith in our coach, scheme, and leadership (dirk+chandler) to put together a team that is well seasoned for the playoffs. So yes we believe we can win a championship. I think its much more realistic that we make a run in the playoffs than having a shot at 60 wins. It's just not how our team is currently constructed.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I suppose. Just blows my mind how much they hate us. We literally have done nothing to them at all. I don't see abunch of crazy Mavs fans running around acting a fool. I mean sure you can run across a loon from any team, but like for real its at least 75% hatred over there and its STRONG. They have some fans that make sense and all that, but even most of them still consider our team crap. They say we are screaming 60 wins next year? Um no. I think the majority of us see us as 5-6 wins better in an extremely deep West conference that is going to be tough to get out of. The difference is we have faith in our coach, scheme, and leadership (dirk+chandler) to put together a team that is well seasoned for the playoffs. So yes we believe we can win a championship. I think its much more realistic that we make a run in the playoffs than having a shot at 60 wins. It's just not how our team is currently constructed.
Well there was this
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYTyqWtFw8
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It's funny how most of them blame Tim Donaghy and the refs for them losing that series. I guess they never got over it.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
It's funny how most of them blame Tim Donaghy and the refs for them losing that series. I guess they never got over it.
and they won't stop crying over the officiating last year. Seriously, I get it.. questionable calls. But it's nowhere near what I have seen in other games/series. They are in complete denial. I recognize their team for what it is. Extremely talented with a very high ceiling if it all comes together. But odds of Mchale being the guy to make that happen is very low imo.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think we still have some bitter feelings towards some refs in 2006.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Good point...... but

Not even comparable. I get that we are biased as fans of the Mavs, but I watched that Blazers vs Houston series ..... not even close.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-13-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Yep, and the only reason Mavs fans (as a whole) have finally moved on from 2006 is because of 2011 - otherwise we'd probably still be livid about it.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-13-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #23
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Come on now... can't we be above threads like this?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #24
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Come on now... can't we be above threads like this?
I suppose?

I made this thread mostly to put a light on the quickly developing rivalry it seems the Rockets vs Mavs are now destined for. My intentions were not to speak negatively about the Rockets organization or fan base per say. I think I might of failed somewhat in this by including the quotes from some of the MANY threads and conversations that have been started on their boards, but it seem justified to include them as to best illustrate my point to which the rivalry seems to be very real. Up to this point I never really felt like we were "rivals". As others have pointed out.. how could we be? If this thread misrepresents the Mavs fanbase in anyway please just lock it up and throw away the key. I only want to contribute to dialogue and conversation that is conducive to the growth and image of the Mavs community.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-13-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #25
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

i have always seen houston as a non threat but the pelicans thats some bad blood.
mavs and rockets had 1 playoff series in 12 years. correct me if i am wrong and didnt we send them home with broken hearts?

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #26
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

I've ready over SBnation rockets blog. Quite funny how much bitterness there is toward Dallas. Not to mention how they all turn on each other quick. Let's look at that example by not being like them.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Let me put it this way about Houston (and this largely stems from my opinion of Morey):

Had they gotten Bosh and actually been a legit contender next year, I would have been rooting for the Spurs to kick their teeth in. And I don't root for the Spurs.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Houston as a city seems to have something of an inferiority complex regarding Dallas.

Anyone else picked up on this? I think its pretty silly, but I always get that vibe from Houston peeps.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #29
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

biggest rival in our division is san antonio
biggest rival in our conference besides san antonio is l.a. used to be sac.
biggest rival in in the east is miami

Last edited by jamaljasonandjimmy; 07-13-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #30
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Houston as a city seems to have something of an inferiority complex regarding Dallas.

Anyone else picked up on this? I think its pretty silly, but I always get that vibe from Houston peeps.
I get that vibe from SA more than Houston.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I get that vibe from SA more than Houston.
Well that one actually makes a lot of sense.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #32
VC25@dal

VC25@dal is on a distinguished road

I'm more excited for Memphis Dallas game than Houston Dallas.. I think there was a little heat between Cuban and Vince there... knowing their personalities, I think it'll be some fun..

Houston blew it bigtime in the playoffs and just got worse. Dallas and Memphis both got better and that damn last game of the season stung cuz it made us the 8th seed.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #33
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bitter is probably an understatement for me. I've come to the conclusion I'm just never going to get over that series. Everytime I think of it I'm instantly filled with rage and frustration. The team worked so hard that year and they deserved to win that championship. Instead, we got to see Dwyane Wade jumping into people and being rewarded with free-throw after free-throw. The fact that Dirk and the Mavs were labeled as chokers for years after because of that series is something that just deeply hurts me. So yeah like I've said before F Dwyane Wade and the entire Miami Heat organization. As far as the Rockets, I may have to re-watch that series to see if their complaints are valid. I don't remember anything out of the ordinary happening as far as blown calls (There was one with either Josh or Mike Findawg getting a steal while being out of bounds.), and I never got the sense that we were being helped by the refs. I feel like when your team is being helped by the refs as a fan you would easily know. I never got the sense from that series, but then again I was a kid in 2005. I'll be able to make some better observations now I think.

PS - Either way I'm sure the Rockets didn't experience anything like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk (The Heat won the championship off of this call, just let that sink in for a second.)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #34
Underdog

Last edited by Underdog; 07-13-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #35
jamaljasonandjimmy

Quote:
best post of the year!

Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #36
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljasonandjimmy View Post
best post of the year!
I was trying my hand at the ideal Rockets fan post.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #37
jamaljasonandjimmy

Quote:
I was trying my hand at the ideal Rockets fan post.
i am surprised the rockets average fan can work a tv to even watch a game. houston is like traumaville off toxic avenger.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #38
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post

No. Not at all. And definitely not outside sports fandom.

In fact, I think Dallas is the city with the inferiority complex relative to the rest of the world. The whole JFK thing is a stain that won't wash. Plus the nouveau social climbers concerned that people outside Dallas see them as prairie hicks (which they do).

In my experience, Houston doesn't give a damn what people think, and is all the cooler for it. I mean, Houston is what it is, and is pretty much unconcerned with image. I'm not rushing off to live in Houston either, but if I had to choose between Houston and Dallas, I'd say Houston is considerably more laid back and cosmopolitan, and naturally so.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 07-14-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 AM   #39
Underdog

LOL, Dallas and Houston have to be the most alike cities I've ever been to... The only real difference is that one is dry and has a rich tradition of professional sports while the other is humid and has, well, NASA.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #40
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
No. Not at all. And definitely not outside sports fandom.

In fact, I think Dallas is the city with the inferiority complex relative to the rest of the world. The whole JFK thing is a stain that won't wash. Plus the nouveau social climbers concerned that people outside Dallas see them as prairie hicks (which they do).

In my experience, Houston doesn't give a damn what people think, and is all the cooler for it. I mean, Houston is what it is, and is pretty much unconcerned with image. I'm not rushing off to live in Houston either, but if I had to choose between Houston and Dallas, I'd say Houston is considerably more laid back and cosmopolitan, and naturally so.
You and I have apparently had vastly different life experiences. My comments were based on People I know from Houston and had nothing to do with sports. People who are at least somewhat conscious of the Houston image in comparison to Dallas.

As far as "nouveau social climbers", any major metropolitan area has that niche of idiots. I guess you spend time around that crowd for business?

But honestly, the JFK line is rather generic and somewhat goofy. (Or, rather, makes me think you really don't know modern Dallas at all.) I could see people in their 60 and older being socially aware of that, but NO ONE from Dallas I have EVER met has expressed anything remotely close to what you suggested. As in, other than it is a historical fact that we are aware of, it never enters the social consciousness. That notion is hard to take seriously in 2014. Perhaps for the decade or so following the assassination, but now? Nope.

Where are you from?

Last edited by sike; 07-14-2014 at 07:58 AM.