Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-02-2002, 10:38 PM   #1
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know anything about this guy? I noticed he was a free agent and if I were a GM I would try and get this guy a workout. Hopefully we can see more of him in the Summer Leagues if he decides to go but anyways I think he could be a great guy to have here and a much more improvement than Esch or BRadely. He showed that he can hang with Duncan in the Spurs series with the lil time he did have. Anyone else interested in him?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2002, 10:49 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I've ever heard of him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:17 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Here is a lil brief biography on JJ for those who dont know. Jerome is 7 '1 275. He plays 16 minutes a game though in that time he gets 5 points a game and averages 4 rebounds and 1.54 blocks a game. Tho Im sure has lots of weaknesses in his game one that stands outs in his stats is his free throw percentage which is 50%. Below is Jeromes Bio on NBA.com

Jerome Bio

1996-2005
Old 06-02-2002, 11:28 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm interested.

I mentioned his name in one of the off-season moves threads and got no repsonse.

He was really impressive when Booth went down with his injury. I remember espn did a story on him cause he was turning some heads with his play about mid-season. He really impressed me with his play against Duncan in their playoff series too.

He has a nice build and you can see that he isn't afraid to bang around or fight for rebounds/loose balls. Looks pretty decent around the basket. Have no idea about his shot range though. Frankly, I don't remember him taking any jumper.

I think we could get him cheaply, but where does he go here? He won't be our starting center, obviously. I'd trust him over Bradley and Esch (which I still want to see given a chance). What about Wang, though?
Old 06-03-2002, 12:40 AM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Why wouldnt Jerome start? The only reason I could think of for him not starting is his inexperience with the Mavs. Tho given time which doesent mean 5 games more than half a season, he should be a good fit here. Now I understand he isn't suppose to just dominate the league but signing Jerome could take us up a notch.

I was thinkign of a lineup more like
James
Lafrentz
Dirk
Finley
Nash

Having Lafrentz at pf could be very powerful for us being how good of a shot blocker. James more than likely wouldnt start for us right quick but u get my drift.

MavsfanFinley, It seems that alot arent interested in him. The reason why I brought him up is because this seems like the only way we wouldnt have to give up anyone on this squad and we could just gel together rather than blockbuster trade after blockbuster trade.

1996-2005
Old 06-03-2002, 07:01 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

now I'm interested.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

MavsfanFinley, It seems that alot arent interested in him.

I think you'll see that change this summer. He won't get the money like the other centers got last year, but any team that can use a backup center will ask about him.

I don't see him staying in Seattle unless a relationship has formed there that he wouldn't turn his back on. I don't know about that. And Booth will be the starting center there.

As for starting here? I'd give him the oportunity, but I don't see Nelson doing so. Hell, I wanted to see Esch start so it would move Raef to pf, Dirk to sf with Fin and Nash in the backcourt. You'd still have Bradley and Wang up off the bench in case of foul trouble for James or Raef.

Again, I just don't see Nelson using this type of big lineup. I could be wrong though.

I also mentioned him for the fact that we could get him cheaply and not have to give up anything.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:57 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he has alot of holes in his game but he might be able to supply some of the inside presence the mavs need.
i was relatively impressed with him against SA
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:08 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

he has alot of holes in his game but he might be able to supply some of the inside presence the mavs need.

Absolutely. I don't mean to talk him up as being flawless. He's ft % is nightmarish for example. He shoots a good % overall, scores, rebounds and blocks shots decently for limited play.

I just like the toughness he shows inside. Has size and strength I think we can use inside. He does the dirty work.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:12 AM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

With Bradley in the doghouse and Wang possibly not coming back.... our center spot may be very thin next year, MFF.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:14 AM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Again, I just don't see Nelson using this type of big lineup. I could be wrong though. >>

Nelson has repeatedly stated that he thinks Dirk's natural position is the 4. Among other things because Dirk's defense is best (or at least least inadequate) at the 4. Lineups which shift Dirk out of the 4 to either 3 or 5 for anything less than an all-star (the Malone possibility last year, the Zo fantasy now) are simply not dealing with the reality of how Nellie uses and wants to use his star.

The same is true of line-ups that shift Raef to power forward to make room for any border-line starter like James. The Mavs picked up Raef because he was the perfect center for an offensive system already in place. A Mavs center who is going to get minutes has to be able to stretch the defense by hitting the outside shot on a consistent basis (the 3 that Raef and Wang can hit is not a necessity, but its nice). I may be wrong because I didn't see a lot of him, but I don't think James has much of a jump shot. If that's so, he is not going to be our starting center.

From what I heard and saw of him, I think he might be a good pick-up as a center back-up (though we really need to clear Bradley or Esch if we are going to add more back-up centers), but he is not a starter for the Mavs.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:24 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Clearing Esch and Bradley really shouldn't be that hard. Both are signed to reasonable contracts for the position that they play.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:25 PM   #13
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Jerome James would be a solid addition to the mavs, if it ever happened.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 06:11 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Does anyone esle have other links for this guy? He seems like a nice pick!
Old 06-04-2002, 12:05 AM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Good points Hoops...

I'd just like Nelson to try a big lineup like he did when he used Bradley, Howard and Dirk up front.

That's the only reason I mentioned James possibly as a starter. Same reason I picked Esch to start at center, too, to have Raef at pf and Dirk at sf.

I don't remember Dirk's 'd' being lousy at the sf position, either. He'd still be a matchup problem.

But, your right, in Nelson's system, things are going to be different than how we want them, etc...James doesn't shoot the 3, so he has a strike against him from the beginning.

And yes, James would be a great backup. We've said how we wished to have a taller Najera, I think this guy is one of them that we can afford.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:53 AM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Good points Hoops...

I'd just like Nelson to try a big lineup like he did when he used Bradley, Howard and Dirk up front.
>>

If we had a 3rd big that Nellie trusted, then I'm sure we would see a big line-up upon occasion. Nellie loves to play matchups too much not to--but unless the player is at least as good as Dirk and Raef (which James isn't), there's not a chance we would see it as a starting line-up.

<< That's the only reason I mentioned James possibly as a starter. Same reason I picked Esch to start at center, too, to have Raef at pf and Dirk at sf.

I don't remember Dirk's 'd' being lousy at the sf position, either. He'd still be a matchup problem.
>>

I don't think its 'lousy' its just not as good as at the 4. As Bayliss said, in terms of tools, Dirk has all the tools to be a good defender at the 4, he just needs to learn how to apply them. But he will never be a 'good' defender at the 3. At best he will be adequate because he doesn't have the lateral speed to keep up with a McGrady or Carter.

<< And yes, James would be a great backup. We've said how we wished to have a taller Najera, I think this guy is one of them that we can afford. >>

I prefer Rose--but that may just be because I have seen Rose more. And James may be more available than Rose. I certainly won't object if the Mavs pick him up.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote