Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default OFFICIAL: Missed users and memories thread

So...we may or may not be shutting down as a forum. We may keep chugging on even if Twitter is gobbling up all the forums out there, but we've still had a lot of posters go dormant over the last 5-8 years. At least for me, DM.com is not only a forum, but a community. We've shared not just basketball talk, but huge swaths of our lives. I first started coming to this forum in 2001 (15 years ago). I've been registered for 11+ years and have either pulled up the site or actually posted at least once a day for more than a decade. I don't want to think about the number of hours I've spent here over that time. When I first posted, I was in high school. Now I'm in my 30s and married.

In those years our community has had ups and downs. We've shared in the ecstasy of wins and shared the pain of losses. We've lost posters. We've had divorces, deaths, injuries, and more and through it all we've supported one another.

My question is what posters do you miss? OR what memories of DM.com do you still remember and value? These can be anything-- even those things which aren't basketball related.

My list (in no particular order):
RMAcomic
Sike (he's around but not nearly enough)
U2Sarajevo (always)
Mary
chiwas - his Eddie Najera love could make a comeback now that he's back as a commentator
Flacolaco
Xerxes
Verucasalt

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-03-2016 at 04:37 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I still post . . . just been busy going back to school. Finishing my Master's and starting my Doctorate.

I also don't post in GDTs as the Mavs lose almost every time I am active in one. So I avoid them to eliminate my jinx mojo.

I miss Chumdawg, U2, Sike, Zoidberg, Spiral . . .
Old 02-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I miss UD's posts - that guy was classic.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I miss UD's posts - that guy was classic.
You miss your own posts?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
You miss your own posts?

Old 02-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

WraithXx and his fucked up Bob Ortegel drawings. Classic stuff.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
RMAcomic
Sike (he's around but not nearly enough)
U2Sarajevo (always)
Mary
chiwas - his Eddie Najera love could make a comeback now that he's back as a commentator
Flacolaco
Xerxes
Verucasalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
Chumdawg, U2, Sike, Zoidberg, Spiral . . .
A lot of these folks disappeared after 2011... I wonder which was a bigger factor: apathy or relief?

Obviously a lot of people faded out because the Mavs haven't been a contender since their championship run, but some of these guys disappeared during the lockout... I think the lack of NBA activity coupled with the sweet relief of winning a ring kind of stifled conversation for a stretch... And then it snowballed as the Mavs whiffed one offseason after another.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-03-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A lot of these folks disappeared after 2011... I wonder which was a bigger factor: apathy or relief?

Obviously a lot of people faded out because the Mavs haven't been a contender since their championship run, but some of these guys disappeared during the lockout... I think the lack of NBA activity coupled with the sweet relief of winning a ring kind of stifled conversation for a stretch... And then it snowballed as the Mavs whiffed one offseason after another.
I wonder if it has something to do with perpetual mediocrity over the past 5 years. This team has become somewhat predictable over the years so there hasn't been a lot of ups and downs to talk about.
Yes many roster changes but it has been the same ole pick up some nice average players to play with Dirk and see what happens.

Boards seem to be the most active when teams are either great or horrible, not so much in between like we have been lately.

Nevertheless I found this forum in 2012 and have to admit it has been one of the greatest forms of entertainment for me on the web. Like Erica I come to this board at least once a day on breaks, lunches and in the evenings.
I won't single out people that I'll miss but do enjoy reading everyone's ideas and comments and the respectful debates and discussions....especially with you UD.
It's also a great place to vent.

Will miss this place and you all if it disappears.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-03-2016 at 05:34 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I wonder if it has something to do with perpetual mediocrity over the past 5 years. This team has become somewhat predictable over the years so there hasn't been a lot of ups and downs to talk about.
Yes many roster changes but it has been the same ole pick up some nice average players to play with Dirk and see what happens.

Boards seem to be the most active when teams are either great or horrible, not so much in between like we have been lately.
I think the fan base has steadily been deflating since not signing the group after '11. It divided the fan base almost immediately and some never got over it. The ones that did get over it suffered blow after blow from things like Odom and rondo trade. Also FA failures like Dwill, DH12, Iggy, DJ etc really took their toll and soured a lot of fans towards the front office + Cuban. So you are prolly right, when we either totally rebuild or land a free agent that moves the needle the activity would kick up some. I do think another aspect is the younger generation just isn't as into the whole message board idea when they could just grab their phone and tweet out "Chandler Parsons is overpaid". Not only is there things like twitter and such but there are apps that have chat rooms that send texts to phones. Message boards seems inconvenient or something to younger people in comparison to faster/easier outlets.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Windy made my signature.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Cadbane

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss January 2003...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

The member that I miss is Outletpass. Not sure how many of you know him, but he was a well respected member in the forum in the early 2000's. He was one of the first persons to welcome me to the board. Sadly he passed away in 2004.

Even with his high bball knowledge, he treated everyone with respect in his posts. Although I didn't know him personally, I felt profound sadness when his passing was announced in this board.

I still think about this class-act every now and then whenever I come here.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

KGVeteran
MFFL
MavsFanFinley
Sturm und drang
Hoopsmeister
Doc (even though he went down in a ball of flames
Mandyahl
EvilMav
Madape
BigBoyLaroux (even though he still visits from time to time)
Smiles

There's really just too many to name especially from the early days. Most of you weren't around for this, but a lot of us used to get together from time to time and have Mavs watching events... The beer was plentiful..sometimes the food was plentiful... It was genuinely a good time. I think a few of us can remember Caliente beating someone with a tree branch at one of the Mavs parties.. and the severe hail storm that came through.. The reporter from the BBC interviewing a few of us for a story. We had a few semi TV/radio personalities both local and national that would lurk and sometimes post especially during the playoffs.

There's a lot to miss about this forum but there's still some fun to be had..
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I miss ddh3's post game recaps.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
good call...
Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #17
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Most of you weren't around for this, but a lot of us used to get together from time to time and have Mavs watching events.
Some of us still do get together to watch games -- I've met up with DevinHarriswillstart, LonghornDub, ribosoma and BGMaverick9 at the AAC or sports bars to watch the Mavs (and I didn't know any of them outside of D-M...)

Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
He's the reason the PGT was born... Also the reason the PGT eventually died.

I miss his insightful recaps too.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-04-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Some of us still do get together to watch games -- I've met up with DevinHarriswillstart, LonghornDub, ribosoma and BGMaverick9 at the AAC or sports bars to watch the Mavs (and I didn't know any of them outside of D-M...)
Jealous.

Phoenix has some good sports, but the fans are lacking and it's hard to find a good community to watch Mavs games when there are only two all year
Old 02-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good names right here in addition to the other big ones mentioned first. Plus, grbh and.. hmm.. someone else I'm having trouble remembering. Aww, to hell with it.

[edit]

Dooby! It was Dooby. He always posted the pic of the dude drilling a hole into his own head when a thread would go sideways.

Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
KGVeteran
MFFL
MavsFanFinley
Sturm und drang
Hoopsmeister
Doc (even though he went down in a ball of flames
Mandyahl
EvilMav
Madape
BigBoyLaroux (even though he still visits from time to time)
Smiles

There's really just too many to name especially from the early days. Most of you weren't around for this, but a lot of us used to get together from time to time and have Mavs watching events... The beer was plentiful..sometimes the food was plentiful... It was genuinely a good time. I think a few of us can remember Caliente beating someone with a tree branch at one of the Mavs parties.. and the severe hail storm that came through.. The reporter from the BBC interviewing a few of us for a story. We had a few semi TV/radio personalities both local and national that would lurk and sometimes post especially during the playoffs.

There's a lot to miss about this forum but there's still some fun to be had..

Last edited by Rhylan; 02-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Dooby is missed... and yeah, GRBH... And of course, Rhylan. I know you're still around, but not nearly as often as in the past.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #22
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
WraithXx and his fucked up Bob Ortegel drawings. Classic stuff.
I'm going to text him, so he can get in one last one in case this place closes down.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #23
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Wow, as insignificant as I probably was to this forum in the grand scheme of things, I was still here for more than 6 years. Time really does fly. I'm glad I was part of this community when we won our maiden title. I enjoyed the discussions here, even though we did not agree with the main guys most of the time. I was MIA in the last couple months as well, so I guess it's partly my fault too that the site will go under water. Either way, it was great talking to you guys.

My favorite funny poster, the guy with the parrot avatar. He was hilarious. Our German fans whose username I cannot recall, and many others including our official or de-facto bosses whom I won't name. Everybody know who they are. I liked them too, they were tough and stubborn at times, but you could never question their love for the team. If we never talk or meet (quite likely), live life to the fullest, guys and gals. Biggest cliche there is, but it's true, isn't it?

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 02-06-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #24
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

MavsFanFinley
Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
My favorite funny poster, the guy with the parrot avatar.
bernardos70

Old 02-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #26
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
bernardos70
Yes, thanks, awesome guy.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Kg
Jthig(IMO the most knowledgeable basketball guy here)
Dirno
Ocelot_ark
My best friends little sister(some of you who have been around for a while should get this joke)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:43 AM   #28
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I have only fond memories of this forum, & of each of the incredibly awesome people I met here. The course of my life was greatly influenced by being a part of this place. Thank you all. Tousand dank.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #29
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Just saw this thread. Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I'm still around and lurk. I still watch all the games that I can, but I don't post a lot anymore simply because I don't really have the time. I have two children under 11 years old, and I am also coaching high school basketball. That doesn't leave as much time as I would sometimes like.

There are a lot of great posters over the years who are missed though!
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #30
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:

Omg, I fing love this, hahahahahahaha

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote