Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default Zach Lavine is he the Mavs low key trade target?

Was reading a article at CBS sports they seem to think the Mavs could be the best fit for Lavine.

I've been on the thought process that Dallas isn't that far away and they don't need another super star just another high level starter to pair with Luka and KP.

I don't think they are interested in trading KP. I know some think in order to get Beal you'd have to trade KP.

Lavine might be a different scenario.

CBS sports qoute
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/b...s-harden-deal/
LaVine is only 25. His next contract is going to be pricey, but his current one pays him only $19.5 million. He's a high-level 3-point shooter as well. Add all of that up and he makes sense on almost any team. Dallas has long been in the market for another high-volume ball-handler to pair with Luka Doncic.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-14-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
ChampsAgainShoon

ChampsAgainShoon has a spectacular aura aboutChampsAgainShoon has a spectacular aura about

Does he really move the needle and who are we giving up. Unless it's not much I would not be interested.
ChampsAgainShoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Not sure about Lavine. Is he really that much better than JRIch THJ? He is a good shooter, but not so great at defense, is that right? We have one of those in THJ already.

Similarly - Its not so far fetched that Oladipo will be moved by Hou by the TDL. Esp, if he gives them any hint he won't be resigning. Just wondering - Is Oladipo that much better than JRich? I think he is looking for Max, right? Lavine probably looking for a lot of $$ as well. Are those two guys that much better than THJ, JRich? Oladipo also has injury history. We already have 1 max player that seems injury prone.

speaking of 2/3 wings - I liked the way Green played, the way he impacted the game in so many ways. Hopefully he continues to play significant minutes - I vote he get some of Burke's minutes; he might develop; he is already a very good defender, maybe best at guarding 1-3 on the team right now. Yes, even better than JRich, IMO

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 01-14-2021 at 09:02 PM.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I don't think the Mavs are going to budge off of their defensive trajectory. And thank god for that as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of star chasing ideas.

Now, if start losing, then we can look at stuff like this.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-14-2021 at 09:21 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think the Mavs do need another star if they want to be title contenders, but I don't know if Lavine qualifies, and I don't know if any such player exists for the Mavericks right now. Pre-injury Oladipo might've been that guy, but we'll see what he's actually like as the season goes on. Guys like Lavine though, that give you virtually nothing on defense, I'm just not crazy about. You need two way players to win in the NBA. If you're going to be awful on defense, you better be transcendent on offense. Lavine is very good, but he's not so great that I can overlook the fact that he's a liability on defense.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-15-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I definitely think the Mavs do need another star if they want to be title contenders, but I don't know if Lavine qualifies, and I don't know if any such player exists for the Mavericks right now. Pre-injury Oladipo might've been that guy, but we'll see what he's actually like as the season goes on. Guys like Lavine though, that give you virtually nothing on defense, I'm just not crazy about. You need two way players to win in the NBA. If you're going to be awful one on defense, you better be transcendent on offense. Lavine is very good, but he's not so great that I can overlook the fact that he's a liability on defense.
No doubt Oladipo is the best two way player potentially available (reports are he's not happy in Houston either).

I've read several articles that seems to think the Mavs will target either Oladipo or Lavine with only THJ and Brunson going out.

Me personally would like to believe that this team if completely healthy with Luka and KP playing their best ball in the playoffs can reach the WCF as currently constructed.

But again I'm a big believer in KP talent wise and some might not feel the same about him.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-15-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
But again I'm a big believer in KP talent wise and some might not feel the same about him.
I don't think talent is anyone's issue with KP.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No doubt Oladipo is the best two way player potentially available (reports are he's not happy in Houston either).

I've read several articles that seems to think the Mavs will target either Oladipo or Lavine with only THJ and Brunson going out.

Me personally would like to believe that this team if completely healthy with Luka and KP playing their best ball in the playoffs can reach the WCF as currently constructed.

How can Oladipo be unhappy in Houston? Has he even practiced with them? (Not questioning you, but “sources”).

There’s no denying KP’s talent. It’s just whether he will be healthy enough to showcase it on the court. WCF will be tough unless this team makes a trade. I’m excited to watch this team after they get everyone back, and get a change to mesh. Should be a fun season.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
How can Oladipo be unhappy in Houston? Has he even practiced with them? (Not questioning you, but “sources”).
It's bleacherreport, so grain of salt, but apparently he wants to be in Miami. Whatever.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-rockets-trade
Old 01-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #10
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
It's bleacherreport, so grain of salt, but apparently he wants to be in Miami. Whatever.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-rockets-trade
I read it on fish site....but your right seems like he has plans to go to Miami come this offseason.

I will say this though Zach Lavine watched him last night may not end up in Dallas but if this dude goes to someone like the Lakers it's a wrap for them.

THJ at times is amazing no doubt but this dude Lavine can create his own shots and finish at the rim. His defense is suspect but he clearly has the athleticism to play defense if he's under the right scheme or coach.

I think RC could get him to be focused more on that end of the floor.

But I wouldn't want to give up Richardson, DFS or Kleber in a deal for him because those 3 guys are going to be key in the playoffs in terms of perimeter defense.

If it's something like THJ and Brunson for Lavine then hell yeah sign me up because he's a bigger offensive upgrade over those two and he can be a primary ball handler when Luka sits.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-16-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampsAgainShoon View Post
Does he really move the needle and who are we giving up. Unless it's not much I would not be interested.
That’s my issue.

If we trade THJ, Burke, Green, and 2027 first for him are we really any better?

He’s a good player but he’s approaching unaffordable and he’s not that much better than THJ.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
That’s my issue.

If we trade THJ, Burke, Green, and 2027 first for him are we really any better?

He’s a good player but he’s approaching unaffordable and he’s not that much better than THJ.
I think you guys are going over board when you say he's not that much better than THJ

Lavine is a #1 option and he has a much better all around game than THJ

I don't think any NBA GM would say him and THJ are on the same level

Dude is putting up #s you'll never see THJ put up as the lead dog on a team

28.3 PPG
5.3 RPG
4.8 APG
49.9 FG %
39.6 3 PT %

The only part of THJ's games that is equal to Lavine is 3-PT shooting and most of those shots are helped by Luka.

Anyone who has watched Lavine without bias towards THJ can tell you this dude is closer to Devin Booker than he is THJ.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you guys are going over board when you say he's not that much better than THJ

Lavine is a #1 option and he has a much better all around game than THJ

I don't think any NBA GM would say him and THJ are on the same level

Dude is putting up #s you'll never see THJ put up as the lead dog on a team

28.3 PPG
5.3 RPG
4.8 APG
49.9 FG %
39.6 3 PT %

The only part of THJ's games that is equal to Lavine is 3-PT shooting and most of those shots are helped by Luka.

Anyone who has watched Lavine without bias towards THJ can tell you this dude is closer to Devin Booker than he is THJ.
I'd take Levine over Booker tbh

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #14
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'd take Levine over Booker tbh
I'd LOVE to see Zack in Dallas, but we'd have to understand that his numbers would take a hit. If we can involve Dwight Powell in the trade I'd be down for it. lmao
Old 01-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I'd LOVE to see Zack in Dallas, but we'd have to understand that his numbers would take a hit. If we can involve Dwight Powell in the trade I'd be down for it. lmao
Sure. I really only care about Lukas numbers. Everyone else just contribute to what he brings. Levine would provide another threat, especially handy in games like last night. All close games, it helps a ton to have a guy who can get wherever he wants on the court.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:23 PM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I Don't see how they even get him...Zack has the ability to take over games...you can also afford to sit Luka at times with him on the court. I'd be for it and I Think he's the best solution we have to getting another guy in here. Tim Hardaway is nowhere near Zack's league. Not to say Tim isn't a solid player because he is but he's not the passer or dribbler Zack is....
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #17
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I Don't see how they even get him...Zack has the ability to take over games...you can also afford to sit Luka at times with him on the court. I'd be for it and I Think he's the best solution we have to getting another guy in here. Tim Hardaway is nowhere near Zack's league. Not to say Tim isn't a solid player because he is but he's not the passer or dribbler Zack is....
Yeah he's been rumored the past two years to be on the trade block. Dallas just seems to be a top destination in most of these articles that pop up about trade destinations for him.

I'm guessing the Mavs would have to offer something like THJ, Brunson, Green and a #1 pick and that still might not be enough for the Mavs unless Lavine because disgruntled.

Even then I still have a feeling that if the Bulls continue to struggle the Lakers might end up with him in an effort to counter Brooklyn's move for Harden.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-16-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #18
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I didn't realize the Mavs were after him doing the draft last year

LaVine has been a DallasBasketball.com pipe-dream trade idea for the Mavs for nearly a full year now, and right before the NBA draft last year, it was reported that the Mavs had inquired about trading for LaVine. So even if the Mavs don’t have the ammo to pull that kind of trade off, we have to imagine that they’ll keep trying. And what better time to negotiate than when both teams are playing each other? If you recall, we got the Kristaps Porzingis trade news the day after the Mavs played the Knicks in New York.

Regardless of what people may think of LaVine’s defense, make no mistake, the guy is a star who can score 25 or more points on any given night. The Mavs have been fantastic defensively this season so far, but the offense has been inconsistent. Adding LaVine to the mix would balance things out perfectly in our humble opinion ... so hey, let’s enjoy this game while also continuing to dream a little bit.