Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-31-2021, 02:51 AM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default Do you think Luka will be loyal like Dirk

I mentioned this before but I think Luka is slowly losing patience.

A lot of Mavs fans might think it's not important or it's too soon to compete for a title.

But if you watch Luka he's ready now and I'm not sure his patience is going to last as long as Dirk's.

Mark Followill: Before tonight’s game, RIck Carlisle addressed Luka’s postgame comments from last night – “Luka Doncic really cares about winning. He was brought up in an environment of winning. There’s a lot of frustration that sets in and I understand the emotions, they are very difficult.” 6 hours ago – via Twitter MFollowill
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Luka Doncic has a much different tone than he did after last night's loss: "I think the effort was great today, and I think we just had a little bad luck. We had like five or six open [clutch] shots that didn't fall. ... But I'm really proud of how we reacted with our effort."

Luka is not catastrophizing just yet, so maybe we shouldn’t either?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a complete waste of time to worry about this. If his mind becomes made up along the way, there is nothing we can do besides bitch about it and we have enough to complain about already.

Someone who wants to leave is best left alone to do so. All we can do is hope MBT can figure it out.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think it's a complete waste of time to worry about this. If his mind becomes made up along the way, there is nothing we can do besides bitch about it and we have enough to complain about already.

Someone who wants to leave is best left alone to do so. All we can do is hope MBT can figure it out.
Agree 100%.

Players these days make a tremendous amount of money. Even an average player, if he is financially smart, will earn enough in a year or 2 to be set for life. Luka's earning potential is in another universe with him being a superstar. He'll never have to worry about finances for the rest of his playing career, and most likely life, unless he's not bright or gets scammed.

People who reach financial independence at whatever age, have the ability to make different decisions than most people. They are not lead around by the chain of their employer. If I were Luka, I'd make decisions based upon my long-term interests, both career and goal-wise, and short-term wise working (playing) environment.

I don't care how much money a person is paid, if they don't NEED the money to survive, then there is no need to stay stuck in a miserable work environment. I think that this factors in with more player decisions than people readily admit. I'm not saying the Mavs are a miserable working situation, but all things being equal, I can see why players would not want to play for Carlisle. Some players don't mind it, but I think most are grown men who are financially independent and have healthy enough egos to not want to get jerked around, regardless of how a fan base rates their relative value to the team. Just because somebody may not have the talent of a superstar or even a 1-time all-star doesn't mean that he will put himself in a work environment wth personalities that may not work for him. Admittedly, trades take away that option, and I think that's one of the main reasons the Rondo situation deteriorated the way it did. Personally, I don't think there is any way Rondo would've come to the Mavs besides via trade, and while he didn't handle things in a professional manner, he got out and did what he thought was best for him. The guy ended up with another ring, so it seemed to work out for him. I'm not justifying his behavior, but we are dealing with people and personalities, and money isn't the only factor, and I don't know anybody who cares for being under heavy handed control. Hate people all you want, but if they are not with the Mavs, then they are not part of the solution, unless something can be learned about why they are no longer here or chose to not be here.

I'm ready for RC to move on and have been for years. The time is ripe for a return of bigger lineups, and the Lakers winning it all last year verified it. People are always asking about who to replace RC with. Well, the Mavericks are in the basketball business. Please don't tell me that they only have player evaluators and aren't bright enough to keep an eye on coaching talent. When most fans ask about who to replace RC with, they inevitably think about existing coaches, most of which are retreads. I'm sure there are bright, younger coaches out there, but if the Mavs don't scout them or have much of a clue, then that's an organizational deficiency imo.

If I could wave a magic wand, I'd replace RC with a Spoelstra or a Stevens caliber coach and make a major deal with Orlando and try to bring in Vuc, who we should've made a serous run at a couple years ago, and Gordon. It's not going to happen, but I just mention it because while I'm a huge Maverick fan, I'm not hopeful because what I envision for the Mavericks to be successful in today's NBA as compared to the direction the MBT has been heading for years are so far apart. Yeah, I know I'm a nobody, and nobody cares what I think, but I still want to root for my Mavs, however, I've known for a while that the main reason I've stayed so loyal to the Mavs was solely because of Dirk, but I know that I'm not the only one. This season is toast, and I predict if there aren't major changes in this off-season that Luka will be gone when his deal expires, and the Mavs are going to be the basketball version of the Cowboys. I so hope that I am wrong. :-(

Last edited by turin; 01-31-2021 at 11:26 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

This is hard to say but tendency is money will talk. Dirk is just special.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
Dirk41legend

Dirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really nice

If the MBT fails to put a competent team around Luka, I will thank him for his time here and wish him the best when he leaves at the end of his contract. No reason for him to stay at a mediocre franchise.
Dirk41legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
This is hard to say but tendency is money will talk. Dirk is just special.
Dirk also bought into the MBT's plans. If Dirk were in Luka's shoes now and had a decade + of MBT results to look back on, there's no guarantee he'd have made the same decision and wasted 8 years in no-man's land in Dallas.

Last edited by turin; 01-31-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Dirk also bought into the MBT's plans. If Dirk were in Luka's shoes now and had a decade + of MBT results to look back on, there's no guarantee he'd have made the same decision and wasted 8 years in no-man's land in Dallas.
I hated the way Dirk's career ended here.

The man great and yet the Mavs only got one ring for him.

Dirk should have been up there with Duncan in terms of rings and I don't care what anyone say's.

The two years Dallas went to the Finals it was because they surrounded him with perimeter defensive wings and rim protecting BIG's.

The fact that you could surround Dirk with below average offensive players and he'd still get you 50 wins a season speaks volumes.

I felt like the year they made that trade for Butler, Haywood and Stevenson they should have made a deep playoff run but RC was clueless vs the lower seeded Spurs in the 1st round that year.

The year after the Title team won will always go down as the biggest mistake in franchise history to not bring back everyone back and defend your title.

I don't want to hear no excuses about how they felt they could land a big fish that summer. Dirk was playing at a elite level you run it back because that team had great chemistry and a desire to win.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
FromSloveniaWithLove

FromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really nice

Well .. There's no point of debating if Luka will stay or leave.. Because I know if he leaves Dallas, he will leave just because FO is not capable to get him help.

But there is one thing that is important.. And this is what will Donnie and Cuban do on FA 2021. Because I think that will help Luka choose to stay or leave Mavs.

The only thing that Mavs need is a star caliber player that will on game to game basis help Luka close out games. We can only hope that KP gets to his bubble level and stay healthy for a long period of time.. But no one knows if this will actually happen or if he will stay healthy.

But I just cannot understand logic behind money spending with Cuban and Donnie. Because they are willing to spend big money on a "Powell" caliber player who is mostly producing money hole in a Mavs pocket. But at the end of the day, this is a lot more expensive contract comparing to 60 mil. $ player who will produce big stats on any given night and actually help Luka and the team to win games.

And another thing. A lot of people (Reddit) are comparing Luka to Giannis staying with Bucks .. Maybe it was the money choice.. But I mostly think it was because they signed Holiday.. And because they are a good team (currently third on Eastern conference) making them legit contenders.

But at the end of the day Luka will rather sign cheaper contract and have "Giannis" here that could help him get the ring, than have a quarter million $ contract.
FromSloveniaWithLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:34 AM   #10
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm ready for RC to move on and have been for years.
Be careful what you ask for. Rick is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the business.

Quote:
The time is ripe for a return of bigger lineups, and the Lakers winning it all last year verified it.
First, Mavs HAVE a big lineup. 3 centers. 4 if you count Powell. Who has a bigger lineup than that???

Second, you were talking about wanting a new coach, but all this is about the FO. The coach doesn't pick the players, he just coaches them.

Quote:
When most fans ask about who to replace RC with, they inevitably think about existing coaches, most of which are retreads. I'm sure there are bright, younger coaches out there, but if the Mavs don't scout them or have much of a clue, then that's an organizational deficiency imo.
So, you want to replace who is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the business with... a nobody? Sure that *might* work out, but odds are not in favor of it.

Quote:
If I could wave a magic wand, I'd replace RC with a Spoelstra or a Stevens caliber coach
What makes either of them a better coach than Carlisle?

Quote:
I'm not hopeful because what I envision for the Mavericks to be successful in today's NBA as compared to the direction the MBT has been heading for years are so far apart.
Again, you seem to talk about replacing the coach, but this is about the front office. Which is it?

Quote:
This season is toast, and I predict if there aren't major changes in this off-season that Luka will be gone when his deal expires, and the Mavs are going to be the basketball version of the Cowboys. I so hope that I am wrong. :-(
We don't know at all how this season is going to turn out.

What changes? They made some major changes this off season. Get rid of KP? That certainly doesn't make the Mavs bigger, and it seems like Luka and KP get along fine.

It seems like Mavs need to gel. And shoot ;-) Both will come. They are NOT this bad of a team.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Be careful what you ask for. Rick is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the business.
That's great for RC, not so much for the Mavericks if you want to judge by results

Quote:
First, Mavs HAVE a big lineup. 3 centers. 4 if you count Powell. Who has a bigger lineup than that???

Second, you were talking about wanting a new coach, but all this is about the FO. The coach doesn't pick the players, he just coaches them.
Seriously? Did you even watch last season? Lots of size ON THE BENCH. SMH There's a big difference between having bigs on the roster and playing bigs together in a game, and RC is not predisposed to play like that. That pretty much only happens when his hand is forced.

Quote:
So, you want to replace who is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the business with... a nobody? Sure that *might* work out, but odds are not in favor of it.
Yes, I'm happy to replace him. The front office should be scouting coaching talent as well as basketball talent. Are you telling me that RC is such a genius with lineup and game management that it would be nearly impossible to find somebody to improve those areas? I find that laughable.

Quote:
What makes either of them a better coach than Carlisle?
Temperament, style of play, in game decisions, game time management. That sufficient for you?

Quote:
Again, you seem to talk about replacing the coach, but this is about the front office. Which is it?
The front office doesn't decide on playing small ball, jacking up 3's against a bigger lineup hoping to make enough to overcome not only a double digit deficit but a rebounding and defensive deficiency.

You're an RC apologist, I get it. You are going to get your wish. He's not going anywhere, but usually people figure out that doing the same thing over and over and over and over again and seeing the same results necessitates a change. GL with that.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Dirk was unique, and that was a very different era. Dirk did not come of NBA age during the "player empowerment" era.

Luka will probably sign the rookie max extension like everyone does, but if by year 7 or 8 into his career, the Mavs still haven't built a title contender around him, then he's probably gone. And the Mavs will deserve to lose him.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #13
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
That's great for RC, not so much for the Mavericks if you want to judge by results
What season since the championship, or even including that season, and all the seasons Rick has been here, have the Mavs underperformed expectations? You have to judge results vs expectations.

Conversely, have you seen how Miami is doing this year, with I think less roster unavailability than the Mavs?

Quote:
Seriously? Did you even watch last season? Lots of size ON THE BENCH. SMH There's a big difference between having bigs on the roster and playing bigs together in a game, and RC is not predisposed to play like that. That pretty much only happens when his hand is forced.
It's not how the NBA plays. Nor is it likely a beneficial lineup per analytics. So, you'd prefer he play the bigs together even though it would likely cause the team to be worse? Why?

Quote:
Yes, I'm happy to replace him. The front office should be scouting coaching talent as well as basketball talent. Are you telling me that RC is such a genius with lineup and game management that it would be nearly impossible to find somebody to improve those areas? I find that laughable.
Yes, I'm basically telling you that. So would anybody knowledgeable in the NBA. That you then find it laughable that it would be hard to replace him with someone you knew would be better says more about you than it does about RC.

Quote:
Temperament, style of play, in game decisions, game time management. That sufficient for you?
If you think RC is bad at in game decisions and game time management, please do list your bonafides that makes you more knowledgeable in those areas than...everyone who is an expert on the subject. RC is always listed as one of the best coaches in those areas. Every coach has a different temperament. Rick's is definitely pretty even keeled, at least publicly. That can often be a benefit, but in any case, again, each coach is different. Most have figured out how to make their temperament work for them. As for style of play, RC is roundly lauded throughout the NBA on being one of the best in the game at figuring out how best to use the people he has. He adjusts the style of play to them, and puts the in the best position to succeed. He also has a very free flowing offensive scheme that isn't rigid, and allows that to happen. That's probably his biggest strength. So, ya, replacing him with someone else is quite likely to make style of play, for the given talent, worse.

Quote:
The front office doesn't decide on playing small ball, jacking up 3's against a bigger lineup hoping to make enough to overcome not only a double digit deficit but a rebounding and defensive deficiency.
Back to wanting to play people despite no indication it would be successful. Yes, indeed, lets do that.

Quote:
You're an RC apologist, I get it. .
You're an RC hater, I get it.

There now, didn't that lend a lot to the discussion!

Last edited by BigDog63; 02-04-2021 at 08:44 PM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #14
Sepher

Sepher will become famous soon enoughSepher will become famous soon enough

I think Luka is like Giannis. I think he will stay, because he wants to make something happen with this team. I think if the Mavericks don't make a finals appearance by year 7, he might just leave.
Sepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #15
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

No help no LUKA
I think next yr will be when LUKA kinda decides if he gonna stay long term or just til the rookie contract ends.
It Lakers or knicks for LUKA.
He make back whatever money he loses contract wise in the first deal he get from either team via endorsements.
He probably do like lebron leave to new team on short 2 yr free agent deal and then sign super max extension
DIRK LEGIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:32 AM   #16
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/stat...981936642?s=19

"Reminder of what season All-NBA players "got out" of their original situations to "go win" somewhere better:

Lebron - Yr 8
KD - Yr 10
Kawhi - Yr 8
PG - Yr 8
AD - Yr 8

This is Luka's 3rd season. He is here until 2026 barring Cuban helping him leave.

You gots to chilllllll."

You guys really should leave this one alone.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/stat...981936642?s=19

"Reminder of what season All-NBA players "got out" of their original situations to "go win" somewhere better:

Lebron - Yr 8
KD - Yr 10
Kawhi - Yr 8
PG - Yr 8
AD - Yr 8

This is Luka's 3rd season. He is here until 2026 barring Cuban helping him leave.

You gots to chilllllll."

You guys really should leave this one alone.
Shaq year 4
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #18
turin
Diamond Member

Right now, I think Luka's gone if there aren't major changes. The guy's a winner and likes to have fun. He's not having any fun right now, and in another couple of years, he'll look back on 5 years in the NBA and wonder WTH happened to the time, and the Mavs are not turning this crapshow around in the next 2 years with the same people in charge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 02-05-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #19
Super B

Super B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the rough

Luka will walk as soon as he can unless things change really fast around here.

Super B

Super B is offline   Reply With Quote