Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-11-2002, 12:52 PM   #1
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

This is off a Yugoslavian site and the English is kind of rough but some interesting information about what our coaching staff is up to.

Belgrade hosted last weekend one of the ten greatest NBA coaches Don Nelson, his assistant coaches Dell Harris and Donn Nelson, assistant coach of L.A. Clippers Igor Kokoskov and Rick Majerus coach of Utah University. They were lecturers on The First Belgrade International Basketball Coaches Clinic.
More than thousand coaches come to listen guests from USA. There were more than 900 Yugoslav coaches and around hundred coaches from Europe, Israel and Africa. Among them were ex-coach of Olympiakos Elias Zouros and Bamberg coach Dirk Bauerman.
The special guests of Dusan Ivkovic and Yugoslav Association of Basketball Coaches were president of WABC Cesare Rubini and EABC president Antoni Comas.
- That was a fantastic clinic – said Dallas coach Don Nelson. – I hope that we will continue cooperation and sharing informations and knowledge.
The clinic was an idea of Dusan Ivkovic.
- I am very grateful to coaches’ legends from USA. They helped us to make one of the best clinics in Europe. We have obligation to make better clinic next year – said Ivkovic.
Dallas coaches went yesterday to Slovenia and after that they would come to Summer league in Treviso.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Coaching/Scouting clinic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Maybe they should think about coming back here and getting us a big man instead.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:38 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

maybe they are doing that there. But big men don't exactly grow on trees. Who knows?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:20 AM   #5
AleksandarN

AleksandarN is on a distinguished road

<< Maybe they should think about coming back here and getting us a big man instead. >>

Maybe they are (this is from insider)

The Mavs also took a look at 17-year-old phenom Darko Milicic, a 6-foot-11 center who international scouts are already calling the next great prospect from Europe
AleksandarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:25 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I have faith in the Nellies....
Old 06-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<<

<< Maybe they should think about coming back here and getting us a big man instead. >>

Maybe they are (this is from insider)

The Mavs also took a look at 17-year-old phenom Darko Milicic, a 6-foot-11 center who international scouts are already calling the next great prospect from Europe
>>

That's just what we need...another project. I am much more in favor of managment at least attempting to acquire a big man with some experience rather than wait for a 17-year-old project. The Nelson's are great at scouting the world for talent, no question about that. But sometimes I get the feeling that consumes them too much when they should be doing other things. Just an impression I have.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:56 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Not at all. Nellie isn't there to SIGN a 17 year old...just to start looking at him. The Mavs will be way ahead of the game in terms of scouting. As for looking for a big man here now..how do you know they aren't already doing that? It's not like they are going to publicize it. Other teams then jump in and interfere. It's jsut that time of the year where we have to give the team management a little benefit of the doubt.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:34 AM   #9
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< It's jsut that time of the year where we have to give the team management a little benefit of the doubt. >>

Management can't be doing much about a big man right now anyway. Free agents don't actually become free agents until July 1st, so talking to any of them is tampering and punishable by the league.

They could be talking trades--but they do that by phone and the phones work in Europe too.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:38 PM   #10
AleksandarN

AleksandarN is on a distinguished road

<< That's just what we need...another project. I am much more in favor of managment at least attempting to acquire a big man with some experience rather than wait for a 17-year-old project. The Nelson's are great at scouting the world for talent, no question about that. But sometimes I get the feeling that consumes them too much when they should be doing other things. Just an impression I have. >>

Here some of the info on Darko ( he way better then just a project)

He is one of the biggest hopes of Yugoslavian basketball in his generation and that alone is something, considering the strength of Yugoslavian basketball. Very tall, agile, mobile player with tons of upside. Just has to continue to develop and he's a future NBA player. His outlook is very good considering the Yugoslavian basketball system is very good at developing players. He was thrown into Seniors level this year and did a very impressive job for 16 year old.

-Uros Velkavrh

Possibly the top NBA prospect at any age in Europe. He plays in Hemofarm. He dunks in traffic, dribbles and goes 1 on 1 like a guard, scores on the pull-up jumper, passes well and blocks shoots. I've never seen a player like him at 16! NEVER!

-Cristian Biagini

also more info on him (insider)

Finally, Europe even has its own version of LeBron James. His name is Darko Milicic, a 16-year-old, 6-foot-11 phenom from Yugoslavia who has everyone in Europe buzzing. Milicic has the ball-handling skills of a guard, the shot-blocking skills of a center and the athleticism of Kevin Garnett. He won't be in the draft this year, but he'll be making a buzz in the NBA sooner than you think.
AleksandarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:37 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Alex- thanks for that info...

Hoops- exactly!