Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-21-2002, 09:58 AM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

No explicit Mavs content, but...

"Marc Berman of the New York Post reports that the Knicks may make a play for Toronto’s Keon Clark in the offseason. If the Knicks pick a shooting guard in the draft, look for their GM Scott Layden to try to sign a free agent big man. Clark is on the top of his wish list.

The shot-blocking 6-11 sixth man is hardly a lock to re-sign with the cost conscious Raptors and can be had for the mid-level cap exception ($4.75M). The Sixers are also believed to be interested in Clark. The Knicks may not be very interested in Clark if Maryland power forward Chris Wilcox falls to the Knicks with the seventh pick in the draft."

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2002, 10:01 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If Clark can be had for the mid-level exception, I think the Mavs HAVE to sign him. Make it happen, Cubes!

Old 06-21-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

As I have said before....Keon would be a nice fit for the Mavs.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:10 AM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Ok, I like Keons ability and his size, the ONLY thing that scares me with him is for whatever reason it's like I see another Samaki Walker. Now he is and should be way better than Samaki, but Clark should be better than he is now if you ask me.

Despite my skeptism I would NOT be mad if Cuban used the exception on a player like Clark.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I need to take a step back; signing Keon would necessarily preclude the "fantasy" signing of Olowokandi, right? Maybe I'm not as high on the idea. Or perhaps we try to steal the Clipper's Kandi, and if we can't, we key on Keon. (Sorry, a couple of bad puns, but it is Friday morning)

Old 06-21-2002, 10:15 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

And an additional word of warning on Keon: His numbers (aside from FG% and 3P%) look scarily similar to the much-maligned Raef LaFrentz. That, and he weighs 20 lbs left. In short, does he really help?

Old 06-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

KG, that's my concern.. He's not necessarily the muscle up front we need. However he is a shot blocker so that's a good thing I suppose and he is somewhat gifted on the offensive end but personally I think McGloire is a much better player.. (Although we have no chance of getting him)
Old 06-21-2002, 11:19 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Clark would not be the starter here, and in my opinion would have a tough time getting minutes at all. Shot blocking at the center position is a strength of this team, and the players we have are arguably much better at the skill than Clark. I don't think Clark would provide a significant rebounding upgrade over Raef either. Most importantly, Clark's inability to bring opposing centers outside of the paint would seriously hurt the Mavs ability to penetrate and dish. We are much better with Raef in the linup, and our time and money would be much better spent somewhere else IMO.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:23 AM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the big man talent in the league, who's available, and who you have to give up to get some of them... Keon for the mid-level is about as good a value as you're gonna get. $4.75 is a little more than what Bradley is making, after all.

He wouldn't be a perfect fit, he's not the "muscle"... but he'd bring more athleticism and defensive talent to the team.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:44 AM   #10
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Clark for the big exception is a steal courtesy of the luxury tax. Mavs should nab him and then trade him for a point guard.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:07 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm a Clark and Lafrentz reunion? It cant be bad to have 2 shot blockers out on the court I wonder why it didnt work for the Nuggets? U cant go wrong with getting Clark for the exception Cuban has gots to go after that if this is true.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:18 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Keon with the exception would be solid. A very nice signing.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:32 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

<< I wonder why it didnt work for the Nuggets? >>

Even the locker room toilets didn't work for the Nuggets in the Dan Issel era.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:47 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Upon further consideration, I'm fine with Clark for the exception, and think that's a pretty good value. I would prefer, however, a guy with more bulk (Thomas or Olowokandi).