Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

besides the obvious movies..such as Star Wars [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

in your opinion..what is the most overrated movie that you've seen.
until yesterday, i might have said Cast Away, but i enjoyed it seeing it the second time
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" without a doubt, IMHO.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:13 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The Matrix

I liked it. It was awesome. But shut up about it already. It's been 3 years. Geez.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Nominees: "Armageddon", "Traffic" and "Blow" were all lame.

I'll go with "Traffic" because it got the most critical acclaim.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:16 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, armageddon didn't get great reviews, did it? i liked blow and traffic though
Old 07-02-2002, 03:17 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

crouching tiger hidden dragon...that was a good movie, but i agree..way overhyped.

i enjoyed a different subtitle movie better than that
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Old 07-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

MOST OVERRATED: Life is Beautiful
Old 07-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish Prisoner

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:22 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Other than the seeming anti-drugwar message of "Traffic", the most annoying thing was trying to figure out why Catherine Zeta-Jones's character, who was presumably supposed to be Mexican, spoke with a British accent.

After seeing the film, I heard her and the director discussing the film in an interview, and they both said that they just mutually decided that she shouldn't bother with trying to produce an authentic accent (i.e., she had no talent for it and it would've been hopeless).

Old 07-02-2002, 03:25 PM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you liked brotherhood of the wolf? man, that movie started out so great (possibly one of the best fight sequences in any movie i have ever seen)... but then it turned to crap.

it was like they said, "hmmmm... an hour into the movie, let's just make it make absolutely no sense at all."
Old 07-02-2002, 03:31 PM   #11
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

oh man bortherhood of the worlf is one of my favorite movies of all time... i dont think it turned out like crap.
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:40 PM   #12
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Brotherhood of the Wolf was awesome, the only thing I didn't like about it was the ending (too happy and 'neat')
Old 07-02-2002, 03:53 PM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

cinematography = very good

storyline = crap
Old 07-02-2002, 03:54 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I didn't think Good Will Hunting was all that great.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

I loved Good Will Hunting.. I saw it 3 times at the theatres and probably 10-12 times since
Old 07-02-2002, 04:14 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LOTR.

hahahaha
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:19 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Eyes Wide Shut.................

Not that it got the greatest reviews either, but I thought that movie was down right AWFUL!
Old 07-02-2002, 04:21 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

2001 A Space Odyssey

classic or not, I thought it sucked and bored me to tears
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:25 PM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Friday.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:26 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Training Day's another great candidate.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:28 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

that movie sucked.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:23 PM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Thinking.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:25 PM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Here are a few:

The Player
Bowfinger
Get Shorty
Shakespear in Love
The Bicycle Thief (if you want to go foreign).
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:26 PM   #24
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Yeah..."Shakespeare in Love" and "Elizabeth" were both awful.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:29 PM   #25
Dooby
Diamond Member

I liked Elizabeth quite a bit, despite the historical inaccuracy.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

"Elizabeth" had the feel of a music video--it was barely coherent. If I hadn't known the history, I'd have had no idea what was supposed to be going on.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:32 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Here is a good rule of thumb. If a movie is about making movies or show business in general, you must subtract one rating point from the critics review.

For example, if shakespear in Love got an A-, it deserved a B-. If Get Short gets 4 stars out of five, it deserved 3 stars.

Old 07-02-2002, 09:20 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

i liked bowfinger and shakes in love

Old 07-02-2002, 09:28 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

I thought Bowfinger sucked deluxe. But, I did like Shakespeare in Love.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:29 AM   #30
Dooby
Diamond Member

Shakes in Love? Is that "Shakespear in Love" or "Shakes the Clown"?

I liked "Shakespear in Love" too, I just think it is overrated. Best picture, my ass.

Old 07-03-2002, 07:31 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

shakespear..i was just abbreviating
Old 07-03-2002, 08:12 AM   #32
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< Here are a few:

The Player
Bowfinger
Get Shorty
Shakespear in Love
The Bicycle Thief (if you want to go foreign).
>>

I thought Get Shorty was pretty funny.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:17 AM   #33
Dooby
Diamond Member

It was a decent movie, but did it deserve an A- from Entertainment Weekly?

Old 07-03-2002, 08:26 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

yep
Old 07-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #35
Dooby
Diamond Member

You are stoned.

Old 07-03-2002, 08:42 AM   #36
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

no way &quot;shakes in love&quot; (ha ha, too funny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) should have won over saving private ryan. absolutely no way.

and i like good will hunting. robin williams' best performance (well, along with good morning vietnam), mainly because he's not being a spastic idiot.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:46 AM   #37
Dooby
Diamond Member

Williams was great in the Fisher King. He is good in Insomnia.

Old 07-03-2002, 08:47 AM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< It was a decent movie, but did it deserve an A- from Entertainment Weekly? >>

I don't know. Maybe I should watch it again this weekend, and then I'll report back. It was one of the better comedies in recent years, though.

Old 07-03-2002, 08:55 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Saving Private Ryan is overrated. I've seen 2-3 war movies since that one that were better movies.

Good will hunting.... robin williams was great in that..so was Matt Damon. i loved the movie. the only thing i didn't like about it was the lower monkey jaw of Minnie Driver
Old 07-03-2002, 08:57 AM   #40
Dooby
Diamond Member

LOL.

Saving Private Ryan cannot be overrated.