Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-04-2002, 10:17 AM   #1
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

David Aldridge here lists Wang as one of the top 2 free agents at center:

Wang Zhi-Zhi, Mavericks. Laugh if you want, but Wang could help a bunch of teams next season. He can shoot it deep, and if he learns to deal with the physical nature of the game, he'll be able to handle himself inside. There are obvious concerns about his relationship with Chinese officials after his did-he-defect-or-not play of recent weeks, but he's still worth a gamble. If the Magic can't get Jerome James from Seattle, they may want to think about a mobile five who'd knock down open looks created by Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Mavs should try to resign Wang IF ONLY to keep a very tradeable asset. But I hope they can keep him on the roster and actually get some meaningful production out of him. We haven't even begun to see his best game yet.

In fact, I already like Wang's offensive potential more than what I've seen of LaF's.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:27 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Wang won't peak for another year or two. I agree. Keep him around.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 03:20 PM   #4
ThunderNYC

ThunderNYC is on a distinguished road

If you love somebody, set them free. Or better yet, find him some quality minutes.

Guy can play, and against all odds, is willing to work hard at adapting to the physical game of the NBA. Currently, he has an ex-Olympic gold medalist to work with him on track in the morning, another coach to work him on strength and shots in the afternoon. He now runs a 12" 100 meter dash, not bad at all for a 7-footer.

http://sports.sohu.com/00/63/sports_news164556300.shtml
ThunderNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:18 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< If you love somebody, set them free. Or better yet, find him some quality minutes. >>

I'm a big fan of Wang's, both now and in his potential, but I think he got the minutes he deserved this last season. Having never been to training camp, missing a significant part of both his two seasons, and having to pick up everything on the fly with less than proficient English skills, he still got quality minutes, even in playoff games. I am very glad to hear he's doing a lot of conditioning--hopefully he will do some work on his rebounding and defensive footwork too, because that's what he really needs to do to see more minutes next year--when the Mavs resign him, which they will.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 06:28 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

wang has got a very long ways to go to being a consistent 15 minute a night guy..he might be much more valuable somewhere else than actually here with the mavs..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 07:43 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe so...maybe not. Wang needs another year i nthe league before I think he will have the confidence to break out. Another year of conditioning will do wonders for him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:12 AM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

As I've said many times, I worship Wang but truly I think he is someone who benefits from being on the Mavs. I TRULY don't think he will emerge too much more than he has going someone else. He's currently a person who benefits from the ball being swung around and he's able to drain open shots because he can shoot. However if he was given the attention, would he be able to score and do things that is expected of him? Maybe. Maybe that's why he wanted to play in a summer league this year so he can see, but I don't know if that's going to happen though.

I really want Wang to succeed but as I said before, I don't see him averaging more than 12-13 points and that's at BEST!!!