Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-15-2002, 04:48 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

No indication of the terms, though....

Posted on Sun, Jul. 14, 2002

Sports Briefly
Mavs, LaFrentz near agreement on new contract
From Staff and Wire Reports

Mavs, LaFrentz near agreement on new contract

The Mavericks are close to signing restricted free-agent center Raef LaFrentz, owner Mark Cuban said. LaFrentz, acquired in a seven-player trade with the Nuggets last season, is eligible to receive a seven-year maximum contract for $103 million.

Also, Cuban met with the agent of restricted free-agent forward Eduardo Najera. Najera, entering his third season, earned the league minimum last season.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2002, 07:51 PM   #2
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

Look, I love Raef, but the maximum?? We can't, or at least shouldn't give that to EVERYone. I'm sure Nash will get it in a couple years when his contract is up. That will make FOUR players getting the max. A lot of people want to go out and get a big FA next year, like Jermaine O'Neal. That will require the max. FIVE players with the max??? That's crazy.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 07:54 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

o'neal isn't going to be a mav regardless. the only way the mavs could acquire him is via trade.

plus, this little article is merely saying that he is elgibile for the maximum. i don't think it is implying that he will receive the maximum
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:07 PM   #4
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

1) The article doesn't say Raef has been offered a max contract. It merely says that the maximum he could possibly get is 7 years-103 million. I expect we will see something in the 7 years-70 million range.

2) Nash, with the clear questions about his physical longevity, will NOT get a max contract.

3) Even if we let Raef walk, the Mavs will still be over the cap next summer. They will not be able to acquire any of the big name free agents with a straight sign. The only possibility will be a sign and trade--in which case the more large contracts that can be added to together to sign and trade for a max player the better.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:08 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

correct hoops..thanks for adding numbers to what i was too lazy to type
Old 07-15-2002, 09:07 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I say give Nash the max, or close, but give it to him in 2 year increments, or so. He's a stud, if his agent would let him do it, he'd probably go for it. Cuz you know as long as his body holds up, he'll be taken care of.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:46 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, when I said Nash won't get the max I was thinking of a contract for the maximum amount of years with a maximum raise each year like Dirk and Finley have. I think Nash is going to have to choose between a shorter term contract with big money each year and a longer term one with lower amounts per year.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the DMN's version of things. Looks like Hoops was almost dead on with Raef's contract. Wonder if Cuban will pay Najera?

Mavericks' deal with LaFrentz nearly done
Team hopes to secure contract with free agent soon in signing period

07/16/2002

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

Four Mavericks free agents – one day of strictly talking remains – and only one thing is certain.

The Mavericks are close to securing a contract with Raef LaFrentz, their biggest free agent of the off-season, owner Mark Cuban said.

Their other free agents, Eduardo Najera, Wang Zhizhi and Greg Buckner, have less-certain futures. And any other free agents that the Mavericks pick up will come later.

Free agents can begin signing contracts Wednesday, and LaFrentz's deal is expected to be finished soon after the signing period begins. Cuban said he was willing to offer LaFrentz the maximum seven-year contract, and his deal is expected to be close to $60 million.

Najera's agent, Dan Fegan, said last week that he expected his client to secure money equivalent to that of a top reserve. Last year, Jerome Williams, another energetic sixth man, signed a seven-year, $41 million contract with Toronto.

Cuban met with Fegan last week to discuss Najera's contract, and has said he wants to limit spending where possible because the Mavericks are well into luxury tax territory.

Greg Buckner has garnered interest from Philadelphia and the LA Lakers, and is not expected to re-sign with the Mavericks.

Cuban said he is waiting for Wang to select an agent, which he said he would do sometime this week, before he begins negotiations. Wang, like LaFrentz and Najera, is a restricted free agent.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:44 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Surely he'll pay Najera. Momma didn't raise no fool. I don't see Najera getting JYD money because that contract last summer was pretty dumb. Maybe a 6 year deal starting at around $3 mil per, with some nice raises?
Old 07-16-2002, 08:04 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone hold on, this is Valade reporting this. Wait for the deal, because anything she says is suspect.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:33 AM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

As Rhylan says the JYD contract is not a good measure. Toronto overpaid for *all* their free agents last year because it was in the wake of Vancouver's move to Memphis and their were reports all over the place that Toronto would be next--that Canadian teams couldn't sign free agents and wouldn't be able to hold on to Carter. So they overpaid JYD (and Hakeem and Davis) in order to convince Carter to sign his extension.

Not only that, but the luxury tax is continuing to tighten how much teams are willing to offer. I expect Najera to end up with something in the 6 year 24-30 million range.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:29 AM   #12
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I agree that Raef is not worth the max but:

1) Why do we care? It's Cuban's money and we are so far over the cap anyway that it doesn't matter.

2) After Raef's long-term signing, we will have our top 6 players locked in for the next 4-7 years. Assuming you believe in this core group, this is a good thing. There aren't many other teams in this league that have that kind of security.

3) There is a marketing strategy at work here. Cuban is letting other players in this league know that he will pay them well to play here. This makes Dallas a desired location to play.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:36 AM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< I agree the Raef is not worth the max but:

1) Why do we care? It's Cuban's money and we are so far over the cap anyway that it doesn't matter.
>>

I hate this argument.

Overpaid players are hard to move. Underpaid players are not only easy to move, but are more valuable as an asset to trade.

Being so far over the cap causes luxury tax problems, which makes even billionaire Cuban reluctant to go out and spend $1M on a veteran for the 12th spot on the bench.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 AM   #14
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Overpaid players are hard to move. Underpaid players are not only easy to move, but are more valuable as an asset to trade. >>

Like I said, if you have doubts about this core group than this would not be a good thing.

<< Being so far over the cap causes luxury tax problems, which makes even billionaire Cuban reluctant to go out and spend $1M on a veteran for the 12th spot on the bench. >>

Who the Mavericks sign as the 12th roster spot doesn't realy concern me.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:43 AM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

The only team that shouldn't have doubts about its core group of players is the Lakers.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:51 AM   #16
Nellie
Golden Member

<< The only team that shouldn't have doubts about its core group of players is the Lakers. >>

I don't agree with this at all.

-Franchise record last year
-Franchise road record last year
-Highest scoring team in the league
-2 players and a coach named to all-star team

What more do you want? The team isn't perfect because of the defensive problems but this core is great. Where is the faith? Why do you like this team?

Amazing how fans can be so unsatisfied.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:05 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< The only team that shouldn't have doubts about its core group of players is the Lakers. >>

I don't agree with this at all.

-Franchise record last year
-Franchise road record last year
-Highest scoring team in the league
-2 players and a coach named to all-star team

What more do you want? The team isn't perfect because of the defensive problems but this core is great. Where is the faith? Why do you like this team?

Amazing how fans can be so unsatisfied.
>>

I agree with u Nellie. I think this core is great but like any core can use some adjusments but I do have faith in this core so I dont plan on the Mavs trying to trade Lafrents away or Nash or Finley or Dirk so there contracts dont concern me. Do u actually think the Kings or the Spurs or hell even the Sonics are going to touch there squad this off season? Why should the Mavs? Like Nellie siad it really matters if u have faith in this group and right now I see us right behind the Kings. If we get more time to play with each other which thats the route that Cuban and Nelie look to be going then I see we are right there with the Kings.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:08 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

i have faith in the mavs core.. however, I don't consider NVE as part of the core.
which is why i'd like to see him moved to bring in a guy to help out with the interior defense
Old 07-16-2002, 12:16 PM   #19
Nellie
Golden Member

<< i have faith in the mavs core.. however, I don't consider NVE as part of the core.
which is why i'd like to see him moved to bring in a guy to help out with the interior defense
>>

Van Exel is part of the core right now just because he is on the roster. Most likely after he is moved, he will be replaced with somebody that will take over his core position.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:17 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

<< Van Exel is part of the core right now just because he is on the roster >>

?
just because you're on the roster doesn't mean you're a core member of the team.... that makes little sense
Old 07-16-2002, 12:19 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< i have faith in the mavs core.. however, I don't consider NVE as part of the core.
>>

Van Exel is part of the core right now just because he is on the roster. Most likely after he is moved, he will be replaced with somebody that will take over his core position.
>>

I seriously hope he is replaced with someone who is tradeable if he doesent work out for us or he will make us have a BIG 4 rather than a Big 3 because these trades every season is going nowhere.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:21 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

murph is right... being on the roster does not make you part of the core. would you say bradley is part of the core? no.

i'd say our core is nash, fin, dirk, and raef. with NVE on the bubble.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:26 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

actually, these trades every year have helped to add a 4th player to the core (raef) and have given the mavs a tradeable commodity in NVE.

how can you say that these trades aren't getting the mavs anywhere?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:26 PM   #24
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I like our core (whether you include NVE in it or not). But no matter how much you like your top 6 it is foolish to be locked into those players with no possibility of changing them for 6 years. Injuries, new finds in the draft, or responses to shifts elsewhere in the league demand that you try to retain some flexibility after your first 2 or 3 players. Particularly when you can lock a guy like Raef in for 6 years without doing so for the max. Why overpay?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:28 PM   #25
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< actually, these trades every year have helped to add a 4th player to the core (raef) and have given the mavs a tradeable commodity in NVE.

how can you say that these trades aren't getting the mavs anywhere?
>>

Well we get to the 2nd round and pretty much get sweeped because we face other teams whose team has had much more experienced over the Mavs. And no way in hell I put Raef as a core of this team. His ass should be the on trading block with Nick. The BIG 3 arent tradeable but I put Raef and Nick out of that category. Though I still would love to have all 5 on our squad next season and go through the free agent route and try to pick up Jerome James even though the Spurs are probaly gonna end up getting him.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 12:29 PM   #26
Nellie
Golden Member

<< murph is right... being on the roster does not make you part of the core. would you say bradley is part of the core? no. >>

Is Van Exel in the regular rotation? yes. Does Nick get 25-30 minutes a game? yes. Like him or not, does this make Van Exel a core member of the team? I definitely think so.

And I agree that Bradley is far from a core member of the team.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:32 PM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

in my opinion, the core are the players that you wouldn't trade unless a great deal came along. with all the talk about trading NVE, i'd have to say he is not part of the core. i want to keep him, but i don't see him as being part of the core right now. i consider raef as part of the core mainly because of the future. mark my words, this guy will be great after a training camp with the team. he only played half a season with us.

sure, NVE gets minutes. so does griffin. so did newman. but i don't think griff is part of the core.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:34 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

playing 25-30 minutes a game doesn't make you a part of the core.. that makes you a guy that plays 25-30 minutes a game.

Dave Burba starts every 5th game for the rangers but is he a core member of their rotation?
hell no..they are looking to move him if at all possible...
Old 07-16-2002, 12:36 PM   #29
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

holy crap, murph, we are agreeing like crazy today.

MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 12:39 PM   #30
Nellie
Golden Member

Silly me...I guess my definition of core having to do with talent and experience just goes against all logic. Please accept my apologies for wasting valuable posting space.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:42 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< in my opinion, the core are the players that you wouldn't trade unless a great deal came along. with all the talk about trading NVE, i'd have to say he is not part of the core. i want to keep him, but i don't see him as being part of the core right now. i consider raef as part of the core mainly because of the future. mark my words, this guy will be great after a training camp with the team. he only played half a season with us.

sure, NVE gets minutes. so does griffin. so did newman. but i don't think griff is part of the core.
>>

I think u guys are mixing up core players up for your best players. I would say Nick is apart of the core but I dont think core means your untradeable players unless a good deal comes. I see it as meaning ur core players that help u as a team and make you better. I do think Nick and Raef are apart of that. But as far as being untraded I dont think Nick and Raef are apart of that. Nick and Raef are a big commondity to helping is get to another step into the playoffs and they do make us a better team. Other then those 5 I dont see anyone else on the roster that makes us better as a team thats why I put them as a core.

1996-2005
Old 07-16-2002, 09:31 PM   #32
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< LaFrentz, acquired in a seven-player trade with the Nuggets last season, is eligible to receive a seven-year maximum contract for $103 million. >>

The idiots who were doing Norm's show this morning thought that Raef was getting a MAX contract at 7 years &amp; $60 mil. I called in to tell them that Raef was getting the maximum YEARS (7) but not the maximum salary ($103 mil). They told me I was wrong - $60 mil was the max salary. Then they hung up on me.

Oh well.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:35 PM   #33
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Makes you wonder how these dorks keep their jobs, doesn't it MFFL?

That's not as bad as Valade calling $4.5 mil the minimum salary, though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 09:50 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< Makes you wonder how these dorks keep their jobs, doesn't it MFFL?

That's not as bad as Valade calling $4.5 mil the minimum salary, though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
>>

But you expect ignorance from Valade...

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-16-2002, 10:23 PM   #35
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< But you expect ignorance from Valade... >>

A lot of us expect ignorance from the Ticket too . . .
Old 07-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #36
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

<< A lot of us expect ignorance from the Ticket too . . . >>

Word.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #37
dude1394
Guru

<<

<< But you expect ignorance from Valade... >>

A lot of us expect ignorance from the Ticket too . . .
>>

LOL!!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 PM   #38
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< A lot of us expect ignorance from the Ticket too . . . >>

But I tuned in for Norm's show so I expected intelligence.

There should be an IQ test for people who fill in for Norm.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:22 AM   #39
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

<< in my opinion, the core are the players that you wouldn't trade unless a great deal came along. with all the talk about trading NVE, i'd have to say he is not part of the core. i want to keep him, but i don't see him as being part of the core right now. i consider raef as part of the core mainly because of the future. mark my words, this guy will be great after a training camp with the team. he only played half a season with us.

>>

But you have to remember, the trade talks aren't coming from the Mavs, they are coming from the fans(and Vescey). We haven't even heard one hint that he is being traded. Cuban even came out and said NVE is a part of the core, which is why this discussion came up in the first place a couple weeks ago. Now of course that's not saying its not possible they are dealing him, but I think its about on the same level as the Finley trade talks last year. Right now he might not be a part of the &quot;core&quot; but if he is here next year like it or not he will.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:49 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

as many of us expect horrific writing and poor interviewing skills from fish.