Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-25-2002, 02:32 PM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Did the Sonics finally give Rashard Lewis an official offer Wednesday? Lewis told listeners on a Seattle radio station Wednesday that the Sonics did give him an offer, and he's not happy with it.

"They gave me the offer, and I didn't like the offer, and so I'm going to take a trip to Dallas," Lewis said during an interview with KJR-AM. The Tacoma News Tribune reported that the offer was worth more than $60 million over seven seasons.

"They're not matching the offer that I think I'm worth," Lewis said. "To me, it made me a little bit disappointed because of the fact they told me that I'm a guy they want to build the team around. But to me, the contract that they offered me, it doesn't seem like they want to build the team around me."

Lewis will arrive in Dallas this morning and Mavs owner Mark Cuban is hoping to convince Lewis to bolt Seattle and sign with Dallas and the mid-level exception. The Mavs aren't the only team that will get in the hunt

A Rockets team source told Insider Wednesday that the team is extremely interested in signing Lewis. While the source downplayed a possibility of a sign-and-trade with the Sonics, they did say that the Rockets plan on meeting with Lewis and his agent, Carl Poston. Lewis, who just built a new home in Houston, has maintained all year that he'd like to join the Rockets.

Poston confirmed the Rockets interest to the Houston Chronicle. "They have expressed interest informally. They don't understand why Seattle has not signed Rashard. But if they don't sign Rashard, [the Rockets] would be very interested in having him be here."

The Rockets do have a bit of a logjam at small forward with Glen Rice and Bostjan Nachbar. However, the Rockets source told Insider they wouldn't pass up the opportunity to sign Lewis if he's willing to leave Seattle.

The Chicago Tribune and Sun Times are also reporting that GM Jerry Krause has also expressed interest in Lewis. The 76ers, Raptors, Jazz, and T-Wolves have also expressed interest.

With that said, several GM's told Insider Wednesday that, when all is said and done, they expect Lewis to return to the Sonics. "I think the Sonics will step up and make a better offer if they really believe they'll lose him. I think Lewis' decision to go to Dallas is a negotiating ploy. He'd never touch the ball there."

Lewis indicated as much Wednesday. "I'm hoping it's not going to be the final offer because my main thing is re-signing in Seattle. Everything is pretty much on them if they want me to be back in Seattle or not. Hopefully, when I make another couple of visits, maybe they'll come with another contract to put on the table. But I can't really say. That's up to Seattle."

It looks like the Sixers will finally ink Mavs guard Greg Buckner to that six-year, $18 million deal that has been rumored since the first week of free agency. Sources told Insider that he'll likely sign the contract today.

The Sixers have been working with the Mavs over the last few weeks trying to work out a sign-and-trade. However, the Mavs insistence that Tariq Abdul-Wahad be included in the deal may have killed it for the Sixers.

That means the Sixers will have to use roughly $2.4 million of their $4.5 million mid-level exception to sign Buckner. While that doesn't exactly price them out of the free-agent market for a player like Rodney Rogers, it pretty much ends any chance they have to sign Keon Clark or Rashard Lewis.

It's always possible that the Sixers will just re-sign Matt Harpring. However, now that he's an unrestricted free agent, the Sixers can no longer match another offer.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, the Sixers are expected to sign Magic free agent Monte Williams to a minimum-salary offer.

"It's a steal," said Magic GM John Gabriel. "If we weren't faced with the luxury-tax situation, the way most teams are, he'd have a job with us forever. He's one of the best [as an influence] in the locker room; he's coming off his best year as a pro; he's one of the best smaller low-post players. He was always able to get to the basket, but now he's able to finish. He's not a very good shooter, but he's a pretty good scorer and able to defend against shooting guards, small forwards and some power forwards."
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

So, what is Lewis worth?

He has great potential, and is improving every year, but his numbers aren't that staggering. Is he worth more than $8-9 million per year?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I would love to bring him in here but im starting to have doubts. I think he is right in the price range of what Sonics are offering. I see him as still a project is only 22 his stats look real good but by the stats he shouldnt be getting more paid than Derrick Coleman. I said by stats lol. Anyway I have no problem giving him the max in 3 years but he is acting a lil spoiled in my eyes wanting to much money for being a role player.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he's 22 ... judging from the numbers he has already put up..well, i think this guy has the capability to put up 20-22 points a game while shooting 46-48% from the floor and around 40% from three point range.. along with a solid rebounder... good at stealing the ball... can play a couple different positions... and "can" play solid defense...and takes good care of the ball

take that for what it's worth
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote