Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-25-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
Cipherous

Cipherous is on a distinguished road

I am assuming he has more in the bank with the addition of Cuban's income + Mavs's merchandising. So does that mean the Mavs can buy out anybody they want even with the luxury tax enforced?
Old 07-25-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

yeah but they can only use the exception which is like 4.7 mil. unless there signing there own players then they can use what they want
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I am assuming he has more in the bank with the addition of Cuban's income + Mavs's merchandising. So does that mean the Mavs can buy out anybody they want even with the luxury tax enforced? >>

I'm not sure I understand your question Cipherous, but I'll still take a shot at answering.

No matter how much money he has to spend, Cuban is still bound by the rules of the salary cap. Which means as long as we over the cap (and Dallas will be for the forseeable future), we cannot offer any free agent more than the mid-level exception (4.5 million this year). And if he spends all 4.5 million on one player, he can still sign as many other players as he wants, but is limited to minimum contracts for all of them. (there's also a small exception he can use every other year, but its only slightly over the minimum for veterans).

Where Cuban's money comes in is that if a player has been with us long enough (generally 3 years, although those acquired by trade get to include time at their former team), then Cuban can pay any amount up to the maximum--as long as he's willing to pay that much money--when he resigns them.

What's confusing me most is your use of the word 'buyout'. The Mavs like all NBA teams are limited to something like 300,000 on what they can spend to buy a player's contract with a team/league outside the NBA. The Mavs can't buy out a player's contract with another NBA team, they can only trade for the player or wait for the contract to run out. And Cuban can buy out the contracts of his own players, but that depends on negotiation with the players. I'm unclear about the full salary cap implications of a buyout; I seem to remember that after Washington bought out Richmond's contract he still counted against their cap for at least the following year but not for the entirety of the contract.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote