Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-12-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Malachi Mav

Malachi Mav is on a distinguished road

Over on hoopworld, a column was posted that said the Mavs long-range plans are to acquire Jason Kidd or Gary Payton to pair in the backcourt with Nash.
Here's the article. Let me hear your thoughts.
---------
Mavs' PG Disclosure

This is a tale of what I was told once not to tell, and where I think it all eventually might lead. I first brought this subject up as a story I wanted to do around this time last summer at the former website I was associated with but it was squashed [I wonder why?] and never published until now. Well I did mention part of it on a message board once but not in this much detail or with the total disclosure I'm doing now for the fans of NEWS@Hoopsworld.com.

Just for a little background to help set the stage I would like to point out that the former website I was associated with before joining the NEWS@ team about a year ago also covered the Mavs' and before I was recruited into that position I had done a little work with yet another website that was related to scouting and the NBA draft.

Through the older of those two associations I had some contact with people that were directly involved with college and NBA scouting, knew and talked with NBA scouts first hand, and was offered at least one job themselves as an NBA scout which they turned down to remain independent. Or so I was informed and e-mails forwarded to me seemed to indicate that last was a true statement. Information forwarded on to me tend to further validate that or someone is one heck of a guesser fat beyond the realm of possibility.

The very first story assignment I was given in my last position was to do a background story on head coach and GM Don Nelson and his draft history. I did the needed research and also casually sent out a couple of e-mails asking guys I had been associated with before that if they had heard of anything about to break around the draft just so I could flavor it up a bit since just facts, without any speculation to their possible implications seems rather dry and dull to me. This is the 2001 NBA draft I'm referring to, not the one just completed in June.

To my great surprise I was told in the e-mail responses I got back that there were some major deals being talked about very heavily involving some top point guards and that Dallas was very much in the thick of those talks.

Let me pause here to set the stage a little more clearly for you. This is about five months after Mark Cuban had bought the Mavs' and just a few more months time than that had elapsed since Steve Nash had awakened from the injuries that had slowed his development here in Dallas. It was that emergence of Nash which caused my surprise at the rumors I was hearing. Why were the Mavs' so interested in dealing for a PG when Nash is coming on and turning into the player we'd all heard he could be since the trade that brought him over from Phoenix?

Anyway, I did the story on the draft History of Nellie as assigned and rather casually closed that article with the observation that in a draft that was weak on PG's you might see some veteran PG's dealt for in the very near future. That was as big a hint as I decided to drop as one of my sources had asked me to keep it quiet. All of the last part of that article talking about PG trades was edited by the publisher of that website before it was printed to my great chagrin since I had faith in the sources I was getting the information from.

At this time I should like to remind you that in the 2001 NBA draft no PG went higher than the 22nd pick and that was SMU's Jeryl Sasser, classified as a "tweener" rather than a true point. Raul Lopez went to Utah a couple of spots later with the Jazz knowing then that they wouldn't get him right away due to his contract in Spain. The first round closed with Jamaal Tinsley and Tony Parker being the final two picks. A couple of guys who have since proven they should have gone higher, but they didn't.

At any rate it's a rare draft that doesn't see a PG taken in the top twenty picks or so. Anyway... as I said that last paragraph of the article predicting the possible PG deals was totally cut before it was published on that former website the night before the 2001 draft. Then within the next 48 hours Jason Kidd was traded for Stephon Marbury and Mike Bibby was traded for Jason Williams.

I naturally protested a little, hey Mr. Editor! Here I had a chance to look like a freakin' genius my first time out in this new job and now nobody knows it except you and me. Don't you know how rare it is for a writer to make a prediction like this and have it come THIS true THIS fast? Yeah, was the response

Frankly I still wonder a little bit why Dallas was so heavily into those PG talks. Steve Nash had since become an All-Star. Yet last summer the Mavs' dealt for Tim Hardaway, who they hoped had more left than he turned out to have, and in February obtained Nick Van Exel from Denver. Yes I just as you have heard all the arguments about how Nash tires, and that's seen to a point by all of us. Still, just a good journeyman PG with proven durability would suffice to spell Nash enough to keep him fresher for the stretch run and the playoffs. Especially if that guy could play some decent defense on opposing PG's.

So with continuing efforts to improve the PG position one is left to surmise that this is a focus of Dallas strategy. It's no secret that the two most valuable positions on a basketball team are center and the point. With the dominance of Shaq the Lakers have one of those two locked up tight. Dallas is attempting to get as strong as possible in the other critical position of point guard and hold some dominance at the other three spots on most nights against most teams.

Now, is Nick Van Exel the long term answer to that equation? No, probably not. Despite what we hear as the company line there are few who assume that Sir Nick will remain content forever as a second fiddle for there is undeniably too much talent there for the role he has been assigned. He has taken on the job admirably thus far and the memory of the stink he caused in his last assignment is fading fast. A few more months like those already elapsed and the memories will grow dimmer yet.

It is now time for summation. We have pointed to doings in the past that never quite came to pass. We have outlined those that did occur. So what does the future hold? More change has to be assumed. There are times in Dallas games when Steve Nash plays the point on offense and yet covers the two guard on defense even though he has a little trouble with some of these. So Nash can be looked at in some ways as a bit of a "tweener" himself.

There are a couple of All-Star caliber point guards that will soon be coming on the market that we should make note of. Jason Kidd has constantly deferred any commitment to staying in New Jersey until he opts out of his contract next summer. Gary Payton initiates trade talk himself in Seattle and will also be a free agent next summer unless his contract is extended and Seattle does not appear to be ready to do that.

It is our opinion that the Mavericks lust after one of these two All-Stars to pair with Nash in the backcourt of the future. We further add the opinion that Nick Van Exel will be held as an asset until the right time to make a play for one of these. Nick, although not a Kidd or a Payton, has been an All-Star himself. He would make a more than acceptable centerpiece of a sign-and-trade deal to obtain either of the names I mentioned a moment ago.

Will a better replacement be offered either New Jersey or Seattle than Nick Van Exel? Unlikely. It will take a bit more than Nick but probably not eat further into the core of Mavs' talent unless another player comes back that is a suitable replacement. Then you have a backcourt in Dallas of Kidd and Nash, or Nash and Payton. And that readers is what we believe the ultimate plans are. - TH
Malachi Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Well I think we can end this real fast. First off since both are becoming free agents 1 would more than likely have to except the 4.5 mill exception next season. I doubt Payton nor Kidd would take it. I wouldnt mind having Kidd nor Payton but why even go after eithe rof these guys when we have Nick and Nash and even AJ? Im starting to think Hoopworlds are just full of rumors that they hear from fans like us and that whole Lewis thign they had im starting to believe was straight bull and they posted those on the espn board lol. I fwe can somehow get Kidd or Payton here for 4.5 mill? THan hell I would much rather go after soem guys who can help us inside like Oneal who comes to mind that is a free agetn in 03.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:00 PM   #3
Malachi Mav

Well, I think the guy's hope was to do some sort of sign-and-trade for one of those two using NVE as the main piece. They'll both be free agents (not sure if restricted or not) after this season, so a lot of people in New Jersey are getting anxious since Kidd has been less than eager to commit long-term to Jersey.

I would find it VERY hard to believe, myself, that Kidd would EVER even consider coming back to Dallas - especially as a free agent.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:03 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

This is total bung created by someone with too much free time. It will never happen.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Well, I think the guy's hope was to do some sort of sign-and-trade for one of those two using NVE as the main piece. They'll both be free agents (not sure if restricted or not) after this season, so a lot of people in New Jersey are getting anxious since Kidd has been less than eager to commit long-term to Jersey.

I would find it VERY hard to believe, myself, that Kidd would EVER even consider coming back to Dallas - especially as a free agent.

Your thoughts?
>>

Well this is a whole new organization I heard Kidd and his family like it out in New Jersey. I dont know if we do get one of htem I dobut its Kidd. Payton isnt washed up and I still rank the guy in top 10 in the league but he is getting older and matter of fact he is older than Nick. But if Nick does end up gettin traded for Payton in a sign and trade then Mavs are gonna be in for it cuz they are gonna be payin him some money cuz I doubt SEattle takes Nick straight up for him and he alreayd gets paid like 10 mill a year.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:14 PM   #6
Malachi Mav

I can't argue with you.

I still am reading in the New York/New Jersey media (for whatever that's worth) that while Kidd and family ARE enjoying the area - and the new team mindset (translated &quot;winning&quot - the Nets brass would like to hear some sort of tangible comment from JKidd where he says something about re-signing and leading the Nets into the blah, blah, blah. You know what I mean. But still, I have to agree that he's 99% sure to stay in NJ.

Plus, like I said earlier, I just can't conceive Kidd coming back to Dallas - as much as I was a 3 J's fan and all.

I also guess that this guy's proposition was that Payton would willingly take a step back in salary (he's making HUGE this year!) and take what he would get in the NVE sign-and-trade. Reason being that he's obviously older, and would have a chance at a championship with the Mavs. Plus, he probably wouldn't mind being pampered by the club at this time in his career.

I'm definitely with you that I think there is NO chance for this to happen, but I just thought it was a fascinating read - especially during this time of waiting for training camp season to start (yawn!). So, I wanted to hear what others thought about it. Just harmless intellectual stimulation.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:52 PM   #7
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

All this is is a bunch of

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

We dont even need either one of those guys.

We dont have enough playing time for the players we have at PG.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:02 PM   #8
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

&quot; Thursday, September 12, 2002 7:52 PM (NEW!)

All this is is a bunch of

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

We dont even need either one of those guys.

We dont have enough playing time for the players we have at PG.&quot;

No.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 04:17 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

No what? Are you agreeing with him or disagreeing?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:58 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< Mavs Hungry for Kidd or Payton... >>

Yeah I´m pretty hungry too right now. Need to eat something.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #11
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Im disagreeing, i doubt we'd say know for a reasonable offer for a payton or kidd.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote