Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-30-2002, 12:31 AM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I slightly mentioned this at this other site. There was a celebrity basketball game here in Raleigh, NC with former ACC players. Players like Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, Darrell Armstrong(was in the game, but not from the ACC), Rick Fox, Brendon Haywood, Shammad Williams, Rodney Rogers, etc was there. I ended up getting Julius Peppers, Cory Magette, Jeff McCinnis, the current coach of UNC. And even though they aren't NBA players, i got Boys II Men to sign me VC jersey. When i open up my restaurant, i'm a hang it up.

Who is the biggest NBA stars you've met.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2002, 08:47 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Jerryl Sasser-currently scrubbing it up on the Magic bench. Yes, he is a spare. But he was an SMU spare, so I care.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 10:54 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Biggest ever met was easily Dr. J.

I have played pick up games on the Baylor campus with some NBA guys like Brian Skinner etc, but the biggest was definitely Dr. J. George Gervin was a close second.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i met shawn bradley once.

a friend and i were standing outside denny's in plano waiting for some other friends to show up one late night, and who comes rolling in his big black suburban but the stickman himself. apparently, he ran out of gas, and he asked us to help him push his car into the parking lot.

you dont realize how tall the man is until you stand next to him, i'm 6'2 and i only came up to the bottom of his arm pit.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:55 PM   #5
MavsRich

MavsRich is on a distinguished road

<< a friend and i were standing outside denny's in plano waiting for some other friends to show up one late night, and who comes rolling in his big black suburban but the stickman himself >>

You mean Ford Excursion right aex, Shawns a very nice guy huh? Fans may not like him, but he's definitely a class guy.

MavsRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:12 PM   #6
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

depends on what you mean by &quot;met,&quot; but if you mean something more than saying howdy during a autograph signing, then my only experience was at the end of the 00-01 season as a result of the Fan Card program (anyone else miss that last season?)

There was a dinner at some fancy-schmancy restaurant down town that I can't even remember the name of (oh wait.. the Palm, I think) for the 15-or-so of us that swiped their card at every game during the season

I sat next to Strick (the one then-current Mav to show up), and Derek Harper sat across from me &amp; chatted on our differing opinions of Jason Kidd... was kinda cool

Anyone on this board part of that, too?
Old 09-30-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

<< depends on what you mean by &quot;met,&quot; but if you mean something more than saying howdy during a autograph signing
>>

At that game, I spoke with Corey Maggette. I asked him was Quentin Richardson would still do that thing with his head now that Darius Miles doesn't play with the Clippers. Corey said he would.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 09-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #8
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

<< At that game, I spoke with Corey Maggette. I asked him was Quentin Richardson would still do that thing with his head now that Darius Miles doesn't play with the Clippers. Corey said he would. >>

UGH!! That drives me nuts when they do that...

Hopefully the Mavs &quot;improved D&quot; will prevent too many occurances during the season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 03:12 PM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

most people don't like it b/c they won't tell anybody what it means.

~The Salesman
Old 09-30-2002, 05:08 PM   #10
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

It's from a video game.

Hmm biggest NBA star I've met, well I have a bit of a geographical handicap so...
Chris Anstey, Andrew Gaxe, Shane Heal &amp;...Luc Longley.
haha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:31 PM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Uwe Blab
Old 10-01-2002, 08:58 AM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I dont know if u count this as a met btu when I went to the Mavs camp I got to talk to Dirk adn Chris Anstey. And I was sittin up here adoring Chris Anstey when I enver knew Dirk would be what he is today. Tho at the time Dirk didnt really speak much english if any at all. One guy I met at the Mavs game was Mark Agurre. I also got a autograph from Michael Finley and Erick Strickland I dont know if u count those as met but I guess.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:09 AM   #13
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Charles Barkley, years ago when I lived in Phoenix. I was running with one of my friends and I tripped and fell scraping my arm pretty good. My friend was laughing at me when he ran past us. He stopped and asked if I was ok. Then he said something like, &quot;she hurt, don't laugh at her. That's cold.&quot;
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:23 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, the biggest would have to be shaq-daddy. i played some 5-on-5 pickup ball against him in my hometown (Lafayette, LA.). he barely tried at all, but man oh man, is that guy huge. and this was when he was with the magic, so we was smaller than he is now.

i met rick barry in denver at a US olympic trial basketball game (no pro players. this was the year brian skinner gaduated from baylor. he was playing, keth closs was playing, just a bunch of second-tier college stars).

talked to shane battier at the flying saucer in memphis. i was there visiting friends, and he was out for a drink. i also saw him at the beale st. music fest, but i didn't talk to him or attempt to.

oh, and i didn't talk to him, but i saw najera at the dallas airport when i was arriving there for a business trip. i also saw ron mercer in a Linens n' things here in nashville (didn't interrupt his shopping, though).

Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 AM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

The biggest I've met was Jordan, played basketball with him AND played cards with him, Charles Oakley, Fin and some other people once...
Old 10-02-2002, 09:14 AM   #16
veruca salt
Platinum Member

...smart arse [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 10-02-2002, 12:08 PM   #17
MavsRich

MavsRich is on a distinguished road

Jordans a nice guy to be around without the mobscene and circus atmosphere around him huh Kid? And boy oh boy, when he's drinking............
MavsRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:21 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

She's not an NBA star, but I sold a box of hangers to Jody Conradt once.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:24 PM   #19
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

hey Jody is a legend in Austin!

BLG
Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 PM   #20
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Kid, I would love to hear the stroy there. You may be pulling my leg on Jordan, but I assume not because I know you are pals with Fin.

Anyway, any insight toi your poker game would be appreciated.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:31 AM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

who's a friend of Finley? Could he get me an autograph.

~The Salesman
Old 10-03-2002, 12:47 AM   #22
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

For the Aussies like myself meeting NBA stars is a bit difficult. I have never really met any NBA stars but I got Magic Johnson's autograph when he came to Australia. I have been fishing with Eric Bailey on the Gold Coast(used to play for the Blazers in the 90s) and Leepin' Leroy Loggins. (only the Aussies would have heard of him!)
Old 10-03-2002, 04:53 AM   #23
veruca salt
Platinum Member

who hasn't met Leeroy, scooter? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have some cool pictures of my boyfriend with Hakeem, Gary Payton and...someone else, i can't even remember who it was. I wasn't there and I've not seen the pictures for a long time.

Smile like you mean it
Old 10-03-2002, 07:11 AM   #24
scooterj5
Golden Member

<< who hasn't met Leeroy, scooter? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

LOL. The cool thing was that he lived at my grandparents' house on the Gold Coast for a few years. I spotted him yesterday outside the local stadium hosting a basketball clinic called &quot;Strictly Ballin'&quot;. Hehe
Old 10-03-2002, 07:25 AM   #25
veruca salt
Platinum Member

he lived with your grandparents?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
haha

Smile like you mean it
Old 10-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #26
Nash13
Diamond Member

I also met Chucky Brown. He was a special guest speaker at my 3point/slam dunk contest at my High School.

~The Salesman
Old 10-03-2002, 09:27 AM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< For the Aussies like myself meeting NBA stars is a bit difficult. I have never really met any NBA stars but I got Magic Johnson's autograph when he came to Australia. I have been fishing with Eric Bailey on the Gold Coast(used to play for the Blazers in the 90s) and Leepin' Leroy Loggins. (only the Aussies would have heard of him!) >>

Yeah!!! Scooter's back!!!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:07 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

where ya been scooter?
Old 10-03-2002, 02:28 PM   #29
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

MJ in the early 90's after his yearly visit to Big D.
Dirk at last years fan jam, and Fin at a gas station in plano.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:12 PM   #30
scooterj5
Golden Member

I've been busy with final school exams and the offseason has been kind of slow but I'm back in time for the season! Cheers.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:35 PM   #31
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

I met MadApe once. I went to the Cedar Springs/Oaklawn area to catch the Halloween parade last year and he was signing autographs wearing only his assless chaps and a dog collar. Kind of an odd guy but he seemed nice.

BLG
Old 10-03-2002, 07:50 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

hahaha
Old 10-09-2002, 05:54 PM   #33
Dirty Dirk

Dirty Dirk is on a distinguished road

I met Karreem at the O hare airport once, he is so much taller than i thought Holla
Old 10-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #34
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

did Kareem ask you if you liked movies about Gladiators?

BLG
Old 10-10-2002, 04:18 PM   #35
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Did he offer you any weed?

Smile like you mean it
Old 10-10-2002, 04:28 PM   #36
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

<< did Kareem ask you if you liked movies about Gladiators? >>

Haha, BLG, I love it. Let's just hope he didn't ask him if he's ever seen a grown man naked, too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 04:39 PM   #37
Dirkfan41

Dirkfan41 is on a distinguished road

Gary Payton and Dikembe Mutombo.

In the 1996 olympics, I had floor seats to a womens US/Mutombo's nation and Mutombo was on the sidelines chatting with Gary and I was able to go over and get them to sign my basketball and I may have said Hi.
Dirkfan41 is offline   Reply With Quote