Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #1
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

In case you haven't heard, Magic Johnson is talking about becoming part owner and "administrator" for the Seattle Supersonics. Here is the link:

http://www.sportserver.com/basketbal...-4506060c.html

My question is would something like this help the Mavs with recognition and/or respect? Right now, the Mavs do not have anyone that brings a lot of respect to the team. Dirk is on the way, but he is not far along in his career. Finley is a great player, but not in the upper echelon of players. Nelson is a great coach definitely, but his offbeat strategies have hurt his respect, or image, in the league.

It's kind of like when the Lakers brought in Phil Jackson, he brought in immediate respect and commanded it. So would bringing in Magic Johnson in an "administrator" capacity bring more respect, validity, whatever to the Mavs?
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2002, 10:18 PM   #2
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I would have to say no. I don't think names alone can (or should) bring respect.

Having personally known a "follower" of Magic Johnson I don't think of respect when his name is mentioned. I know he does bring something with his name. I won't deny that. But, his name alone can't create respect or make any organization something that it isn't.

Respect is earned over time with what one DOES primarily in his current organization and postion. I see several Mavs earning such respect. I don't think they need someone else from somewhere else to make them worthy of respect. It will come.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #3
MavsRich

MavsRich is on a distinguished road

Bringing in Magic Johnson as part owner could only help. IMO, his name alone would make this a more attractive organization. When you think of the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, etc etc you have guys you could name that makes the organization look good. Not 1 person comes to mind when I think of Dallas and it's organization.
MavsRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Not 1 person comes to mind when I think of Dallas and it's organization.

I guess you haven't been a fan long then.....whoa....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote