Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-01-2003, 11:13 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

who's the best actor of 2002? take this however you want it..box office success... however you'd like.

i'm gonna go with

1.tobey maguire - he's had a solid career already but spider man will launch him into a new stratosphere
2.mel gibson - signs AND we were soldiers..very impressive
3.orlando bloom - the two towers..plus, signing on to do "Pirates of the Carribean" with Johnny Depp, "Troy" with Brad Pitt, and "Ned Kelly" with Heath Ledger and Naomi Watts
4.Ian McKlellan - he's in TTT...but he will be in the next Xmen movie, the next harry potter movie, and Return of the King
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2003, 11:42 PM   #2
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

You can't possibly be serious about Mel Gibson. I am a big fan of him, but the fact is that those two movies Signs and When we Were Soldiers were two of the worst movies of the year. I could not even finish the Soldiers one.
Not to be confrontational but I could not let anyone recommend either of those two movies with out feeling guilty about it.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

actually, i thought we were soldiers was one of the better war movies i've seen in a long time...a very long time.

i had a very good smart ass comment ready for you..but, i edited it out for content just to stay on the good side of certain people...

but i would have to say that more people would agree with me than you... doesn't mean that i'm right..but both movies were hugely successful both critically and financiallly...that's a decent indication that i'm not too far off base
Old 01-01-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
BrianJ

Thought I might get roasted on that one after reading my comment. Its just that you picked 2 of the movies that I wanted my money back for. It was not Mel Gibsons fault, the plots were just ridiculous. Tell me you didn't feel screwed over by that clever water ending.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:56 PM   #5
BrianJ

As for the Soldiers one well I really don't know to much about it. I got to the part where the wives were talking about the color different laundries and I either had to turn it off or vomit thruogh the lack of originality.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I would have to say Sadamn Insane or is that Sadaam Hussein. Best line "What weapons of mass destruction? We are a peace loving people." Honorable mention goes to the senior members of the North Korean government. They expect to get glowing reviews once their production is released. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 12:28 AM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Campbell Scott for his role as Roger in 'Roger Dodger'; nice work creating both a pathetic and a sympathetic character.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 AM   #8
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

BrianJ..I'm with you on that. Mel's films are generally thumbs all the way up with me...but those two stunk up the joint. Be brave in the face of friendly fire.

Best Actor: Nicole Kidman, of course !

LRB...I've just read a couple of your posts ....what's up ? I'm laughing my ass off...ultra good work. BTW, Radio Shack didn't have the SuperSlowMo HDTV adaptor...they've been handing them out to The NBA officiating corps, so that they can see what they saw.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:21 AM   #9
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

I really liked Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of NY

I absolutely CANNOT stand Tobey Maguire. The problem with him in spiderman is that he is eventually, in the movie, suppose to come out of the timid little nerd role, unfortunately, this is how Tobey Maguire ALWAY'S is and he is incapable of being more then that. If you ever read the comics or watched the show, you'd know Spiderman was a very darcastic character. I hope Tobey's upcoming movie, "Seabicut", lmao, flops!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Ian McKlellan will not be in the next harry potter movie.

Both Signs and We Were Soldiers were great.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< LRB...I've just read a couple of your posts ....what's up ? I'm laughing my ass off...ultra good work. BTW, Radio Shack didn't have the SuperSlowMo HDTV adaptor...they've been handing them out to The NBA officiating corps, so that they can see what they saw. >>

Damn those refs. I hope they remember to download the free software patch for the visually impaired from www.HelenKeller.com. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

VIGGO!

and i liked we were soldiers... mainly because of sam elliot.

&quot;what are you, a fucking weatherman now?&quot;
Old 01-02-2003, 04:03 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I have to go with Denzel. Thought he gets an oscar for playing a bad guy when you compare his role to Training Day or to his role in Glory I just couldn't imagine it was the same guy. I think he struck gold with the Antawn Fisher story being I believe he directed also?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

denzel..he's solid..but i'm still a little pissed he won the oscar for training day..good movie, but he wasn't oscar worthy for that movie
Old 01-05-2003, 12:35 AM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

You're right on that FFM...he directed...really nice film !

Denzel could have won for Malcolm X, too. That film still never got its rightful props, IMO.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:41 AM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< Best Actor: Nicole Kidman, of course ! >>

Nicole was my favorite in 2001. For 2002 my favorite was Sandra Bullock.

(Favorite, not best; that's different. I´m learning from Walton)

Old 01-05-2003, 04:58 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

sandra bullock...after murder by numbers..well, she should just give up acting all together...
Old 01-05-2003, 05:03 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

When did 'actor' = 'actress'?
Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

<< When did 'actor' = 'actress'? >>

The Crying Game [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 09:38 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

And Victor-Victoria.

&lt;I knew these would start.&gt;
Old 01-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I agree I don't believe he should've got that grammy for Training Day being what he portrayed in it. I think John Q. was not a better acting job but he potrayed someone more positive even though the movie flopped. Outlet, I agree Malcolm X could be his best acting for his career. Haven't seen the Antawn Fisher story though.

1996-2005
Old 01-07-2003, 12:12 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

personally, i liked DW in philadelphia
Old 01-07-2003, 12:21 AM   #23
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Amen to that Murph, even if his role was somewhat secondary to Hanks...for my money you can also include &quot;Hurricane&quot; and a lot of his other stuff...

But my vote still goes to Nicole Kidman..LOL. She may not be the Korean soccer girl...but she'll do.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

kidman had a nice year..but i was planning on having a separate thread for best actress of 2002...so, maybe we can hold off on her.

the hurricane was solid as well..
Old 01-07-2003, 03:24 PM   #25
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I can think of one film that I've seen Denzel in where I thought he did a good job--'A Soldier's Story'. And he was completely overshadowed by the late Adolph Caesar.

Other than that, not only have I never enjoyed one of his performances, I don't even like the KINDS of films he's in. For me, Washington, like Hanks, is a great example of hype over substance.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:38 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Glory is one of the best films ever...
Old 01-07-2003, 03:45 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Right on BBL. Glory is great.

For me, Tom Hanks is a gifted actor and the comparisons to Jimmy Stewart are appropriate and fair. But it is his ability to pick scripts that seperates him from most actors.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 03:48 PM   #28
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i'm sure hanks is asked to do A LOT of films. but he picks to do ones he likes, i guess. i'm not much of a hanks fan, but i've liked a lot of his movies.

i love denzel movies simply for the &quot;denzel speech&quot; that occurs in each one. man, those speeches send shivers down my spine.

while not the best piece of cinema, i liked remember the titans.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Yea I forgot alot of Denzel's films and that is a nice point brought up that he does have a speech film he does or maybe its just because of his strong voice. One film I didn't like was Bone Collector. Not that it wasn't a good movie just didnt interest me much. Remembe the Titans was a great film being that not only was it a Disney movie but it was rated PG. I can't enjoy pg rated movies but that one was great.

1996-2005
Old 01-07-2003, 09:09 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

i actually liked the bone collector.

remember the titans would have been solid except there were some unrealistic football scenes that ruined it for me.
i hate watching movies that WANT to be serious sports movies but have unrealistic and stupid sports scenes... like a linebacker running down a running back that has about a 15 yard head start in remember the titans
Old 01-07-2003, 11:45 PM   #31
BrianJ

Ed norton is incredible in anything that he is in. I am the only person in the world that loved Death To Smoochy. Everything he is in is awesome. Matt Damon is pretty good as well, the only difference is he has some really bad ones in there as well.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:23 AM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

i'm a big fan of matt damon..he really doesn't have many bad ones.. not really any that i can think of that weren't watchable
Old 01-08-2003, 07:50 AM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

edward norton is definitely top quality. primal fear is a great movie. and i just got american history x in the mail yesterday.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:53 AM   #34
BrianJ

So you pretty much enjoyed All the Pretty Horses huh murph? interesting

I don't know how i forgot about Kevin Spacey
Old 01-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

actually, yes i did