Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-26-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Ok-from what I saw last night, it just solidifies what I have been saying all along. He is a SUPERSTAR and the best player in the NBA right now. Dont even use Finley's name in the same sentence as KOBE's. It will make KOBE look bad. The two are WORLDS apart...
Old 05-29-2001, 11:34 AM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Shaq is the best player in the league, without question!!!!
Old 05-29-2001, 11:37 AM   #3
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Acording to the league... I believe that Iverson was the best this year! Shaq and Kobe get to feed off each other. Iverson gets Mutombo inside. Well all know he really doesn't have much offensive game.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 12:05 PM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

I'm not talking about who's the best scorer, Shaq commands much more attention Iverson. Believe me, I LOVE Iverson too, but Iverson doesn't get triple teamed like Shaq does.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:59 AM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Iverson is doubled and tripled because he doesn't have Shaq to pass to.
Old 05-31-2001, 12:42 PM   #6
giostar

Kid... have you seen any Philadelphia games yet, especially in the playoffs? All he gets is double and triple teamed. Sure if he sits outside it may be one on one, but as soon as he tries to drive anywhere, he constantly gets another defender on him. Kobe does too, but Kobe has Shaq to dish the ball off to. Or vice-versa, Shaq has Kobe to free up the inside for him. If Shaq gets a 2nd defender on him, he can give it up to Kobe to blow past the guy taking him one-on-one. Iverson is scoring that many points without someone else to free him up.
Old 05-31-2001, 12:53 PM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

I recognize Iverson has a harder time scoring because he's the focus of the offense for Philly. However I still think Shaq commands more attention than Iverson. The reason I say this is because a team couldn't continuously double and triple team a perimeter player. They would leave the entire low post open, and if that was the case then Mutombo would be scoring at will. Shaq gives so many people on his team open jumpshots because people ALWAYS lag in on him and make the perimeter players hit their shots. That's all I'm saying. I do recognize that Iverson always has people coming at him and from different areas.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:51 PM   #8
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Of course, that works on the assumption that Dikembe Mutumbo is a potent low-post scoring threat, which he is not. Mutumbo could not score at will if you left him alone in the post with an elderly woman- the woman would have too much of a speed advantage...
Old 05-31-2001, 06:26 PM   #9
giostar

No kidding... did you see the game yesterday. They kept feeding Mutombo the ball down low. He looked so out of place down there. it seems like they were double teaming him, and he had no idea what to do next. he couldnt score... he couldnt pass the ball... he COULD turn the ball over though. I'm not saying that Shaq isn't a dominating force inside, and I'm certainly not saying that he isn't the best inside player in the league. All I am saying is that Iverson does all this without much help. I mean sure, you aren't going to get double teams on the perimiter. But the shooting percentages are much lower from the 3 point line, than they are from 3 feet out.