Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-04-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

In some other threads I've see a few people mention trading Dirk for various players: Yao, Shaq, Kobe, TMac, etc. Personally, I consider Dirk as the one player that if I was Mark Cuban I would never agree to trade. I do not believe that any player either currently in the NBA or on the near horizon has any significant overall talent advantage over Dirk. Actually I think Dirk is the most talented. But even a package of players for Dirk wouldn't work for me. Dirk is the kind of player who I think should be a one team player like Bird and Magic. I think it will speak volumes for the Mavs not to let this one go or ever consider it. Dirk is a quality citizen and person. So he definitely wouldn't fit in Portland. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I furthermore think that any possible advantage that might be gained is too small in comparison to what might be lost to justify trading Dirk. However I would like to hear your opinions on the subject.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Tyronn Lue, he is much quicker...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

THe only trade I would make with Dirk would be for be a pair of the other top 10 players - Garnett and Kobe would be ideal (maybe T-Mac instead of Kobe?)
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'll keep Dirk, thanks. Although I must agree with MFFL that if somehow I could get a package of T-Mac and Garnett, I'd have to at least think about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:53 AM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Garnett
T-MAC
Kobe
Yao Ming
Duncan from last season.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Only Garnett; but I'd still prefer to keep Dirk somehow.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i dont think i would agree to any trade,no matter how reasonable it is.
you see,dirk is not done developing,when you think the man might get the MVP this year and he's still got some untouched potential in him.
bring on yao,tracy and all the superstarts of the league and i might reconsider,might.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

On second thought, I would definitely trade Dirk if necessary to obtain Donald Hodge, the greatest center in Mavericks history. Word is that he's still available. Look into it, Mark...

Old 01-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Trade a top 5 five player who has the most upside of any player ahead of him?

No thanks... I'll pass.

The scary part? He's already on par with many of the good players. But he is underutilized more than any other good player. And he has the most upside.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:58 PM   #10
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

Would you trade Mickey Mouse for Dirk?

How about Whitney Houston for Dirk and Nash?

Trade talks stink!
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:18 PM   #11
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

LOL at the person who said he was top 5. top 15, yes but not top 5 yet
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Salary Cap none of those trades would work. No one, the chemistry on this team is spectacular and Dirk is on his way to being the best in the NBA.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< LOL at the person who said he was top 5. top 15, yes but not top 5 yet >>

I forgot. He isn't as good as Miles, Odom, Magette, Rooks, Piatkowski, Miller, Brand, Kandi, Richardson, Dooling, Wang, Folwkes, Jaric, and Wilcox.

Yep, I forgot, looking at that list he barely does make top 15.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

an interesting question..just got through watching the game today.. would you trade dirk for the entire Philadelphia team? is there any team in the East that you would trade dirk for?..indiana might be about it
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:14 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< an interesting question..just got through watching the game today.. would you trade dirk for the entire Philadelphia team? is there any team in the atlantic that you would trade dirk for?..indiana might be about it >>

Murphy: I might could see trading Dirk for Indiana, afterall you need someone willing to take the hard foul ...

on the HDTV camera. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #16
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

I would trade dirk straight up for anna Kornikova. And I am serious about that, I would love to see her log 48 minutes a game especially with the floor cam. If u are talking about any actual mere mortals on other teams, than absolutely no one.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:31 PM   #17
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Heard Anna's not to good at finishing...despite that it's not a bad trade. but I would never trade Dirk for anyone straight up...Anna would have to be twins.

-- Well LOL at most all of us then.

-- How many 22 pt., 10 rebound, 2.5 asst, 1.5 steals, 1 block and 1.4 3-pt guys are there in the league...who happen to shoot 45% from the field and 85% from the line ?
Old 01-04-2003, 04:38 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LMAO at the person who said top 15 and not top 5. I'd really like to know who the other 14 are so I can ROTFLMAO.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:45 PM   #19
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Got to respectfully disagree there outlet not only is one anna good enough to throw dirk up on the trading blocks. But its still a go in my book if you could have lets say 3/4 Anna you know Paul McCartny style.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #20
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If Dirk ain't top 5, he's top 6. You can't argue more than 5 guys better than Dirk.

Shaq
Duncan
TMac/Kobe

You could possibly argue Garnett is #5, if you're purely evaluating individual skills. But I think Dirk's got the slight edge over KG. Kidd? He's Top 8, but not Top 5.

So who? Who?

I will also say this -- I always used to say T-Mac was overrated, but this year, he's proven himself to be the real deal. Equal to and sometimes better than Kobe and anybody other than Shaq and Tim Duncan. But, even though I think he is a better overall basketball player than Dirk right now, it's a very very slight edge, and you never trade big for small. I don't even trade Dirk for Duncan or Shaq, because he's got more potential than Duncan at this point, and gives up very little production to Duncan currently.

So, I don't trade Dirk.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:46 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I would only consider duncan and I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on that one either.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 PM   #22
LRB
Guru

<< Heard Anna's not to good at finishing...despite that it's not a bad trade. but I would never trade Dirk for anyone straight up...Anna would have to be twins.

-- Well LOL at most all of us then.

-- How many 22 pt., 10 rebound, 2.5 asst, 1.5 steals, 1 block and 1.4 3-pt guys are there in the league...who happen to shoot 45% from the field and 85% from the line ?
>>

OP: just remember with SuperSlowMotion vision enabled Dirk only aversages 12 Pts 5 rebounds, 1.3 asst, 0.5 steals, and .2 blocks per game while shooting 34% from the field and 61% from the line.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

Yes Dude, Duncan is also a very good player. He and Garnett make me to hesitate a little, but I'd still keep Dirk.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #24
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

So if he´s top 15 he must be somewhere between 11 and 15 RCF? Otherwise you would have said top 10. Come on give us a list of the 10 guys that are better than Dirk. Make us laugh.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:37 AM   #25
realclipsfan
Banned

why would i waste my time? you guys are major homers! upi'd think ig i havent replied yet, im not going to. sorry guys
Old 01-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #26
LRB
Guru

LMAO at the at the person who said there were 10 players better than Dirk and and then calling everyone a homer for asking him to name them. Really LMAO.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:38 AM   #27
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

upi'd think ig i havent replied yet

How can you tell LRB, is this English or what ? Guess that we'll have to assume that the new SuperSlowMO-Fo translator offered by Ronco is defective. Hope the AP doesn't get this story, RCF could get recalled.

Or Maybe Artest broke it...
Old 01-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #28
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< LOL at the person who said he was top 5. top 15, yes but not top 5 yet >>

Watch the games - Dirk is Top 5.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:15 AM   #29
Chiwas
Guru

I wonder why, if Dirk is topped 5, 10 or 15 and his team is the NBA's best (see the standings), without having another top 5, 10, or 15 guy in the team, he isn´t the top 1.

I prefer a #100 Dirk in statistics, being the #1 team-player of the statistical top 5.

(I´m not mentioning Eddie, that would be handicapped)

Old 01-05-2003, 01:52 PM   #30
realclipsfan
Banned

this is a mavs board,you cannot tell me there is no bias when saying if hes top 5 or not. i said top 15 and ill stick by it. truth be told, nash is the best player on the team and really makes this team go. without him, dirk/fin would be nothing. fin, would still put up great #s on a bad team and dirk would be a big stiff
Old 01-05-2003, 02:04 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Tendex rating says dirk 7th in the league nash about 21st or so. sounds about right to me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #32
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I´d trade him for an early bird ... well, YOUNG Bird ...
Old 01-05-2003, 02:52 PM   #33
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< without him, dirk/fin would be nothing. fin, would still put up great #s on a bad team and dirk would be a big stiff >>

You are right RCF, Dirk sucks. He can´t play. He´s only in the league because of the german market and Stern´s world wide expansion plans. It´s a big conspiracy. They even go so far as to manipulate stats. He doesn´t average 22 and 10, and the Mavs aren´t 27 - 5. And in reality the Clips won three straight titles not the Lakers. And the earth IS flat. But don´t worry. There will be more guys like you who´ll keep telling the truth. It will be all good.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:02 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

<< this is a mavs board,you cannot tell me there is no bias when saying if hes top 5 or not. i said top 15 and ill stick by it. truth be told, nash is the best player on the team and really makes this team go. without him, dirk/fin would be nothing. fin, would still put up great #s on a bad team and dirk would be a big stiff >>

Wow... I thought you were just obnoxious, now I know you are stupid to boot. Your postings are not worth responding to...bye..
Old 01-05-2003, 04:27 PM   #35
LRB
Guru

<< upi'd think ig i havent replied yet

How can you tell LRB, is this English or what ? Guess that we'll have to assume that the new SuperSlowMO-Fo translator offered by Ronco is defective. Hope the AP doesn't get this story, RCF could get recalled.

Or Maybe Artest broke it...
>>

OP: LMAO, no that is not English, it is SuperSloMo-Phonics. Unfortnuately Artest did break it, or fortunately for the AP. The AP did get the story, but thanks to Artest's audition for the JailBlazers, no one was able to understand it. And I guess I am a big Homer after all because I've had to move Bill Walton out of my top 5 of stupidest things said to 15 due to recent postings on the D-M.com board. RCF, I don't care what anyone else says, your #1 in my book.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #36
MFFL
Guru

<< i said top 15 and ill stick by it. >>

But the NBA doesn't share your opinion. Dirk WAS second team All NBA wasn't he. Lets break it down for those who are math challenged - 5 players on 1st team, 5 players on 2nd team. Dirk must be somewhere between #6 and #10 as of LAST YEAR. Do you think his game has regressed?

Last season you also said the Clips would be a playoff team. I said they wouldn't even be a .500 team. I wonder who watches the game?
Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 PM   #37
realclipsfan
Banned

LOL, you guys waiting on me to insult you back? it wont happen, if the mods let you do it(which im sure they will), then fine, continue to look like immature kids insulting other people.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:57 PM   #38
LRB
Guru

ROTFLMAO at the guy who said he wouldn't reply with an insult and then called his detractors immature kids.

5 minutes later, still LMAO.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #39
realclipsfan
Banned

read the post again, thank you
Old 01-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #40
LRB
Guru

<< ROTFLMAO at the guy who said he wouldn't reply with an insult and then called his detractors immature kids.

5 minutes later, still LMAO.
>>

Read the post again. Thanks, really LMAO now.