Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-07-2003, 01:22 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Decision could secure McGahee's financial future

By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

When Keith Lerner saw University of Miami running back Willis McGahee go down in the fourth quarter of the National Championship game, he bolted from his couch, went into his home office and immediately began rifling through the papers.

Only five hours before, Lerner, an insurance agent based in Gainesville, Fla., had completed the paperwork on a $2.5 million insurance policy for the sophomore stud who was projected to be a top NFL draft pick in April.

"I faxed his physical information to Lloyd's of London at 3 o'clock on Friday," Lerner said. "The ink wasn't even dry on the paper yet."

McGahee might have had only one game left in his collegiate career, but he approached Lerner -- who had written policies for former Miami players Santana Moss, Ed Reed and Bryant McKinnie -- and wanted a large policy. Thanks to that decision, if McGahee, who had surgery on his torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments Sunday, never returns to the gridiron, he will collect a tax-free $2.5 million one year from the date of the injury -- Jan. 3, 2004.

"I originally said I could get him a $1.5 million policy, but he wanted more," said Lerner, president of the financial consulting firm Total Planning. "Then, I got $2 million and he still wanted more. So eventually we got to $2.5 million, which is a very large policy and possibly the largest policy a sophomore has ever had."

Lerner declined to give the exact premium, but he did say McGahee's family took out a loan and paid less than $20,000 for it. Premiums usually cost about $10,000 per $1 million policy, but McGahee was able to get a better rate partly because it only covered him for the National Championship game and up until he signed an NFL contract.

McGahee was also able to get a larger policy because his projected draft status rose throughout the season. Lerner said that if McGahee took out a policy in October, he only would have received about $500,000 in total coverage. McGahee finished the season with a school-record 1,686 yards and 27 touchdowns this season

Lerner visited McGahee at HealthSouth Doctors Hospital on Monday.

"He was a little surprised to see me," Lerner said. "But he had a smile on his face."
Old 01-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I didn't realize this had its own thread so I posted it in the OSU-Miami thread.

Just amazing that he had the foresite to get insurance the day before a game.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Glad to hear he is covered. I feel real sorry for him. Hopefully he can recover and have a nice career. If not at least he is taken care of.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote