Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #1
za dunkin' 1

za dunkin' 1 is on a distinguished road

Well I definitely think Rigaudeau can play the point forward position. He's been doin' it in Europe for the last couple of years.

You have to know that originally Rigaudeau is a point guard! He started to play professional at 16.
His whole career in France and the two first years of his career in Italy, he played at point, (which causes him to be called "Le Roi", you guess why...) occasionally playing shooting guard when shooting acccuracy was required, mainly when facing zone defenses.

Then a young player from Yougoslavia playing at the point emerged in the same Team: Marko Jaric, which plays now for The Clippers. Given the shooting skills of Rigeaudeau and his experience (His was by then 28, 12 years of professionalism) the Coach of the italian team let the point to Jaric to mature and Rigaudeau played more and more at the 2 position.

Then a young player from ...Argentina emerged at the 2-position : Ginobili, that u all know I think! You know then what happened : Rigaudeau which was 29, played at the 3 and let the 2-spot to Ginobili. And the Virtus Bologne waas playing with Jaric-Ginobili-Rigaudeau! nice back court.

I have to precise that You can't deduce that Rigaudeau is not good enough as Ginobili at 2 , or Jaric at 1. Simply they were young players, and that great coach that is Messina choose to let them develop at their natural position, taking advantage of Rigaudeau polyvalence.

Messina was preparing the future for The Virtus, but he had not forecast that the NBA teams would start to cherish non American players and steal him his jewels...

Precision : He won French Championship with Pau Orthez Club in France, Italian championship and European Club championship with the Virtus Bologna, The Silver Medal with the French national team in Sydney olympics (where they defeated Nash en Canada in semi finals...)

Do u know why the Virtus wanted absolutely to get him : During one European championship game that went in overtime Pau Orthez won on the Virtus' floor, with 45 points of Rigaudeau, among them the 16 points his team scored in overtime...
But I agree he was 7 years ago.

Bemol : I truly think he will adjust in offense, but in defense it'll be a lot more difficult, I barely see him defending on Mc Grady or Hill, or Griffin and Francis.

But may be Nelson intends to play zone defense most of the times when Rigaudeau will be on the floor?

That's it Hope you had a few answers to the questions this French-Italian arrival raises!

Anyway soon, the games and his production will answer all the questions
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

za dunkin' 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

tight, thanx. like i said on the other thread a rich mans McCloud who can let us run the offense through another 3 man other than Findawg, which will allow Finley an occasional breather. seems like the answer to many a prayer. I expect to see Tariq let go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] to make room.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

If this guy can really run the point forward this team will be sick. I know Nellie loves to play with the opposing match ups of other teams. But this is almost unfair, especially when we get Eddie back as well. A healthy Evan to take Popeyes place in case we do have to Shaq proof our line-up. Nellie has finnaly carved up all his chess pieces and is ready for complete domination.( also boggles me how I forgot to mention Shawshank Red.in fav. movie post)I dont think there is another team that is not only as deep as the Mavs(if frenchy turns out to be for real)in the league. And defenitely not another team that can so easily change their outlook.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< I expect to see Tariq let go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] to make room. >>

No need - we released Harrington earlier.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

rigaudeau cant play point,hear it from one who saw him play many times,maybe in european standarts he can lead some offenses here and there,but in general,the man would be a SG,pure SG,he'll fit right in,he's got a great J'.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Expect TAW back very soon...

I'll bet anything that Dallas will ask TAW to be very close to Antoine to help him adjust to living in America and to make him feel comfortable.

My question is that I heard Antoine does not speak English, will they bring in someone to interprit for him. Maybe asking TAW, who will most likely end up on the IR, to help translate for Nellie.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

strange...I heard he speaks fluent English.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< strange...I heard he speaks fluent English. >>

Yes, but does he speak Texan?
Old 01-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

totally different language. For instance the word &quot;European&quot; has dual meanings to Euros and Texans.

European:

French version - a person from Europe. As in....Rigadeau is a European player.

Texan version - the act of relieving oneself....As in.....Hey man european in my yard. Go find a tree or something.

So yeah....I can see where he might need an interpreter early on in his Dallas career. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< totally different language. For instance the word &quot;European&quot; has dual meanings to Euros and Texans.

European:

French version - a person from Europe. As in....Rigadeau is a European player.

Texan version - the act of relieving oneself....As in.....Hey man european in my yard. Go find a tree or something.

So yeah....I can see where he might need an interpreter early on in his Dallas career. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
>>

LOL- good one doc. Just hope that you didn't PISS off too many Texans. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:04 PM   #11
za dunkin' 1

za dunkin' 1 is on a distinguished road

Here's the funny thing, guys, I don't think they like each other(Rigaudeau and TAW)!!!!!!
During the 99 european championship, the journalists spent their time trying to oppose them by saying that Rigaudeau was old leader of the national french team, and TAW the new one, opposing &quot;The white-brained-can't jump-shooter&quot; and the &quot;Black-leaping-slasher&quot;...
Old french national players were tired of all that hype on TAW (thanks NIKE!)and TAW thought that old players were falling in the silly journalist game...
He left the french team in very bad terms with the coah, but since then, the head coach changed, and the philosophy of the new one is &quot;the best play, NBAers included&quot;.
But the positive thing is if they are in the same team, they might know each other better than now and forget that silly feud that just harmed the french basketball.

Imagine a french starting five with : Tony Parker, Rigaudeau, TAW, Moiso (from the Hornets) and ...well still have tp wait a few years before a french center plays in the NBA![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
za dunkin' 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:02 PM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

do I hear Fred Weiss [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 07:07 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< do I hear Fred Weiss [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

Bingo.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote