Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-11-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Nowitzki scores 28 to lead Mavs' rout

DALLAS (AP) -- If Antoine Rigaudeau was watching his potential teammates on the Dallas Mavericks play Friday night, the Italian League star might try getting to the United States as soon as possible.

Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki scored 15 points in the first quarter, Michael Finley had 16 in the second then Steve Nash chipped in 13 in the third, sending the Mavericks to a 103-78 victory over the Boston Celtics.

Despite being the only team averaging more than 100 points per game, and scoring 92 points after three quarters in this game, the Mavs are seeking to add firepower by signing Rigaudeau. He could be in uniform as soon as Wednesday against Sacramento.

Part of his role will be helping others score. As the Celtics found out, Dallas has no shortage of players who can do that. The Mavericks improved their NBA-best record to 30-5 and are 18-2 at home.

"They're the best team in the league, definitely one of the most talented,'' said Paul Pierce, who led Boston with 20 points. "If you don't match their hustle and energy, the game ends up like this.''

Dallas was clicking at both ends, especially in fighting for loose balls. Of its first 45 points, 15 came on second-chance plays, mostly set up by offensive rebounds.

The Celtics' passiveness was best illustrated in the second quarter, when they had consecutive 24-second violations. And the first one came after they had called timeout.

At the time, the Mavericks were in the midst of a 21-3 run that began with the teams tied at 27. Dallas went into halftime up 19 and stretch it to 30 with a 12-0 spurt in the third that featured an electrifying alley oop from Finley to Nowitzki.

"We were playing with a lot of energy, and offensively we were able to give ourselves second and third opportunities,'' said Nowitzki, who finished with 28 points. "Normally we're not a great offensive rebounding team, but tonight we gave ourselves more chances.''

Finley had 22 and seven assists and Nash had 13 points and six assists.

While the Celtics lost for the sixth time in eight games, this game might be remembered for Vin Baker not playing for the first time this season despite being healthy.

The former All-Star had been averaging over 18 minutes per game, but was coming of a scoreless performance in 15 minutes against New Orleans.

"The coach put the lineup he thought could win,'' said Baker, who was teary-eyed and had to stop to gather his emotions while speaking to reporters. "You want to be on the floor with your team and help them win. We came up short. It's disappointing from the standpoint that I didn't get a chance to help the team.''

Coach Jim O'Brien said he held out Baker because of matchups. Baker was the only player on either team not to play.

Tony Delk had 13 points for Boston and Antoine Walker was 4-for-14 for 11 points.

What was expected to be a tough game for Dallas turned into a nice tuneup for a four-game West Coast road trip that starts Sunday against the Los Angeles Clippers, followed by the showdown with the Kings.

"This was unexpected,'' Mavericks coach Don Nelson said. "But it's a nice surprise.''

Former Celtic Adrian Griffin was Dallas' sparkplug, grabbing six offensive rebounds in the first half. At the time, the entire Boston team had four. Griffin finished with eight points, 12 rebounds and five assists.

His timing was good, too, because Rigaudeau's arrival could limit Griffin's minutes.

"I don't even know his name,'' Griffin said. "I just want to go out and play hard. I can't control who they bring in. All I can control is how I play.''

Game notes
The 30 victories secures Dallas' best record at the halfway point -- and there are still six games to go. Last season's team holds the mark at 29-12. ... Pierce had three assists, giving him 1,000 for his career. ... Pierce leads the NBA in free throws attempted, but took only three. ... The Mavericks are 18-2 at home, but will be away from American Airlines Center all next week because of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links