Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-12-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

LINK

Finley gives and grows
By ceding his status as The Man,' Michael Finley helped the Mavericks blossom

01/12/2003
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

If great NBA players are born rather than built, then there has to come a time when they are allowed to display their God-given abilities. It's a process that almost always requires sacrifice.

In the Mavericks' case, Michael Finley is the one who cracked the door for Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash. As the lone superstar on bad teams in the late '90s, Finley gave the young pair a chance. And when the time was right, he helped push them across the threshold to greatness.

Donnie Nelson remembers it well, although he prefers not to dwell too much on those forgettable seasons. The only good thing about the Mavs then was a forerunning version of the Big Three that was known as the Big One.

"Mike was the original cornerstone that we could not afford to lose," the club's president of basketball operations/assistant coach says. "He carried the weight of this franchise on his shoulders for a couple of years.

"When Steve and Dirk were developing, any Maverick fan knew who was carrying the day."

With that burden, Finley was expected to take more shots, make more shots and do more things on the court than anybody else. As "The Man," that's what you do.

But it takes a special kind of person to acknowledge it is no longer his time to be "The Man." To step aside and allow somebody else to inherit that designation when you still are in the prime of your career is not easy. For some players, it is impossible.

Glenn Robinson wouldn't do it at Milwaukee, instead resorting to a nasty, public feud with the younger, better Ray Allen.

Vince Carter couldn't do it in Toronto, and that franchise lost Tracy McGrady because of it.

Take it a step further and the clash of egos in Los Angeles may yet get the best of the Lakers. Yes, Shaquille O'Neal is a monster. But at what point does it become Kobe Bryant's team?

Winning comes first

Some players never figure out that less is more in some cases. Finley could have balked at giving up his role as the team's unquestioned leader on the court.

But that's not his style. Finley has deferred some of his talents for the greater good.

"In the early days, Michael couldn't afford to have an off-night. We had no chance," Nelson says. "He had to have huge numbers for us to get a victory.

"In true winner's fashion, he's found that with more pieces on the floor, he's deferred a little bit.

"If Michael wasn't about winning, we could have had some problems, no question."

Finley sheepishly talks about this story-line. In his book, he has done nothing out of the ordinary. All he has tried to do is win games with the hope that there's a championship somewhere on the horizon.

"When they first got here, they were learning their way," Finley says of Nowitzki and Nash. "Now, they've become the kind of players who have to go out and produce. Years ago, I would take 20 or 25 shots a game. Now, if taking 15 or 20 shots means they have gotten the chance to grow and we've gotten better as a team, that's great. Giving up shots for the betterment of the team, I have no problem with that at all."

Especially as he has seen Nowitzki and Nash become All-Stars.

"They didn't come into the league with all the hype that some players get," Finley said. "Dirk was in the lottery. But in his first year, he wasn't what everybody expected. Now, he's a star.

"And Steve and I were on the same team at Phoenix, and you could tell then that he was going to be the kind of player who wouldn't back down. I can still remember him going against guys like KJ [Kevin Johnson] and taking the challenge head-on."

Nobody is more thankful for Finley's allowances than Nash, who has paired with the 6-7 Finley to form one of the NBA's most effective backcourts.

Nash says that Finley is happier now that he's no longer the lone scoring option. "He's so unselfish and such a competitor," Nash says. "Maybe a lot of it is because we're good friends. But I think Michael would do that for anybody if he knew it was going to make the team better."

Next stop: Athens?

The Mavericks aren't the only ones who know Finley's team-first traits. It's why USA Basketball considers him a valuable asset. Finley is likely to get an invitation to the Olympic team, perhaps as early as next week.

Although there are still times Finley forces shots, those times have become less frequent. And his 13-shot games, such as the one he had Wednesday at Atlanta, are more frequent than his 23-shot games.

"The bottom line about Mike is he's all about winning," Nelson says. "He's had to overcome doubts throughout his career. People wondered if he could maintain his numbers. They wondered about his ability to lead a franchise. He's done those things and developed into an everyman's superstar.

"We owe Michael Finley a lot. He could have picked a team and gone anywhere he wanted. If he'd have gone to certain teams, he'd probably have a ring by now.

"But he's a very loyal guy. He remembers people who were with him through the tough times."

And now, he and the rest of the Mavericks are reaping the rewards of success. They are at the very least championship contenders, if not favorites.

"I probably wouldn't be coaching here if Michael doesn't decide to stay," says Don Nelson, the head coach who has overseen the maturation of the Big Three. "He's done so much for this franchise."

To the point where now he's doing less.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting. Good article.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

A very sharp and accurate article.

Ceding Finley his status as The Man, has made him The Man.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

<< A very sharp and accurate article.

Ceding Finley his status as The Man, has made him The Man.
>>

Exactly. He remains the heart and soul of this team.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was very pleased with this article. Finley continues to be a class act and I see why he has so many die-hard fans.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Finally read the article. Thanks for posting it MFFL.

Nice story on Fin.

Even with others playing huge, Fin's still putting out the same production pretty much.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Great article. Finley continues to impress me with his maturity. I think it is a huge part of the Mavs success.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:52 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i give fin credit for doing what he should do..doing what any person that is interested in winning would have done..step aside a bit..
i still have issue with fin taking more shots per game than dirk..but i believe that is beginning to change like it should..but that's not necessarily an indictment of michael finley

he's been gracious and professional.. you can't ask for more
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< i give fin credit for doing what he should do..doing what any person that is interested in winning would have done..step aside a bit.. >>

Murph: just remember how rare that is in todays NBA filled with spolied egocentic millionaires with more attention paid to the stat sheet than the scoreboard in many cases. I agree that is what a person should do and is the right thing to do, but in the NBA few do it and even fewer players with the skills of a Michael Finely.

This is one are that Finely stands head and shoulders over Kobe. I'm not ragging on Kobe, but he just plain isn't as good at standing aside when his team needs him to as Fin is.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:42 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons that finley is willing to do this(imho) is also because he was rewarded with a max contract even though many folks have stated that he's overpaid. If they mavs hadn't rewarded him with that type of committment I wouldn't be surprised if another outcome would have occurred.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-12-2003, 10:35 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< One of the reasons that finley is willing to do this(imho) is also because he was rewarded with a max contract even though many folks have stated that he's overpaid. If they mavs hadn't rewarded him with that type of committment I wouldn't be surprised if another outcome would have occurred. >>

IMO you need to reverse it. Finley GOT the max contract BECAUSE he was professional enough to do what the team needed.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< One of the reasons that finley is willing to do this(imho) is also because he was rewarded with a max contract even though many folks have stated that he's overpaid. If they mavs hadn't rewarded him with that type of committment I wouldn't be surprised if another outcome would have occurred. >>

IMO you need to reverse it. Finley GOT the max contract BECAUSE he was professional enough to do what the team needed.
>>

Agreed. Great article BTW.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

I'll agree with that, but my point was not really communicated properly. It was basically to chastise those who have stated that he has not deserved a max contract.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< I'll agree with that, but my point was not really communicated properly. It was basically to chastise those who have stated that he has not deserved a max contract. >>

Well in that case I agree with you then.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 01-13-2003, 01:11 AM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< With that burden, Finley was expected to take more shots, make more shots and do more things on the court than anybody else. As &quot;The Man,&quot; that's what you do.

But it takes a special kind of person to acknowledge it is no longer his time to be &quot;The Man.&quot; To step aside and allow somebody else to inherit that designation when you still are in the prime of your career is not easy. For some players, it is impossible.

Years ago, I would take 20 or 25 shots a game. Now, if taking 15 or 20 shots means they have gotten the chance to grow and we've gotten better as a team, that's great. Giving up shots for the betterment of the team, I have no problem with that at all.&quot;
>>

All this sounds nice and may be good for Fins ego. But it´s not true. Fin is a class act, but as far as stepping aside, taking less shots goes this whole story simply is a legend.

Take a look at Fins numbers over the years:

97-98 Dal 82 g, 41.4 mins, 8.2-18.4 .449 fg, 1.1-3.0 .357 3pt, 4.0-5.1 .784 ft, 5.3 rb, 4.9 ast, 21.5 pts.

98-99 Dal 50 g, 41.0 mins, 7.8-17.5 .444 fg, 0.9-2.7 .331 3pt, 3.7-4.5 .823 ft, 5.3 rb, 4.4 ast, 20.2 pts.

99-00 Dal 82 g, 42.2 mins, 9.1-20.0 .457 fg, 1.2-3.0 .401 3pt, 3.2-3.9 .820 ft, 6.3 rb, 5.3 ast, 22.6 pts.

00-01 Dal 82 g, 42.0 mins, 8.7-18.9 .458 fg, 1.1-3.2 .346 3pt, 3.1-4.0 .775 ft, 5.2 rb, 4.4 ast, 21.5 pts.

01-02 Dal 69 g, 39.9 mins, 8.2-17.8 .463 fg, 1.1-3.2 .339 3pt, 3.0-3.6 .837 ft, 5.2 rb, 3.3 ast, 20.6 pts.

02-03 Dal 35 g, 39.0 mins, 7.7-18.4 .419 fg, 1.7-4.5 .369 3pt, 3.0-3.5 .855 ft, 6.3 rb, 3.0 ast, 20.1 pts.

He´s playing 2-3 minutes less now than in earlier seasons, but other than that how do these numbers indicate he was stepping aside? He basicly didn´t give up anything. He´s still averaging the same amount of shots per minute (and he never took those 20-25 shots he´s speaking of above). Assist numbers go down constantly, not up. Overall he simply declines. The .419 fg % is the lowest in his career by far. Still he takes the same number of shots like he used to. Finley is a class act, but the legend of him stepping aside is just that, a legend. He´s getting outplayed and outscored by Dirk, who´s still averaging less shots (17.3 right now, it was 16.6 last year). Oh, and I Just wanted to point this out. I´m not trying to start anything here, everything´s fine the way it is (well maybe not everything, but as long as we´re winning it´s ok).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 01:21 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

his shots are down slightly.. i don't think I'll be happy with his attempts per game until they are down another couple or so..part of that isn't his fault though. The head coach sometimes offers a bit too much freedom for the players in where the ball goes..where the shots come from

i'd like to see fin around 15-16 per game...with dirk closer to 20
Old 01-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny cause I don't think this story is just about shot attempts and how Finley has or hasn't sacraficed for the team in that regard. I think the story was done along the same lines of what Sean Elliot, Tim Legler, Tom Tolbert and Fred Carter have said about Finley this season.

He gets lost in the mix and they question why at times? He's still out there putting up 20+ points a game, he's upped his rebounding and just recently has upped his assists again. Not to the point where we would like, but he's had more assists lately and less shot attempts.

The thing the guys above like to point out is that some would rather talk about Nash and Nowitzki's hair and what award they've won in their country than what Fin did on his career night against Detroit. IMO, there are some nights where Fin has led the team in scoring, but a recap is more about Dirk's off night (like the Denver game) or the amount of turnovers Nash had. I'm not saying all the time, but enough so that I think it's frustrating for Finley fans. Even the night Finley had 33pts and 13rbs against the Pacers, it was more talked about Dirk's return from an ankle sprain than Finley leading the way against the Pacers. Hell it was even more about Dirk's absence against the Spurs than Finley scoring 36 points and getting no help from anyone else.

And I'm not saying that Dirk or Nash don't deserve the media attention. No doubt what those 2 do indvidually as players or what they bring to this team night in and night out. The stats speak for themselves.

If anything, I think the article is pointing out that Finley is glad he doesn't have to be the leading scorer, leading rebounder, leading assist man and leading in steals for the Mavs to win a game. It's pointing out that he's happy to be winning if it means he only scores 10 points, but grabs 6-7 rebounds and has 3-4 assists.

It's not stating that the only reason Dirk and Nash have emerged as stars is cause Finley has so kindly stepped aside for them. No, it's that Finley goes in there and quietly does what he needs to do for the team to win night in and night out and doesn't make a fuss about whether he shot the ball enough or whether his name is in the press enough.

Again, I'm not saying Dirk and Nash are begging for the attention they get for their hair or what clothes they like to wear or what they did or didn't do on a given night.

The story is pointing out that you're not going to read about a feud between Fin and Dirk like we have with Carter and McGrady or Allen and Big Dog.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:19 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

Finley will continue to get plenty of shots, especially spot up jumpers. If he knocks them down then his points won't be off. But he's not &quot;the man&quot;, dirk is. That is the point of the story.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

Great post MFF. Finely's maturity, character, and dedication to the team concept of winning are second to none. He is the leader on the Mavs for instilling these virtues throughout the team. He's not the only one to have those virtues, but he is the leader in this area. If more players on team USA had picked up on Fin's attitude we would not have had the disappointing finish in the World Championships that we did. If Kobe and Shaq had half of Fin's character and leadership abilities the Lakers wouldn't be trying to fight their way out of the quagmire at the bottom of the western conference standings.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Another ultra-quality post by my good friend MFF. Outstanding.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

no one said the article was just about fin's shot attempts...

like i said, it really isn't a knock on fin..it's more of a knock on nellie's style of play and coaching philosophy

fin has been an all-star caliber player here and deserves alot of credit. i know it is very difficult for alot of his fans to deal with the fact that he's probably the third best player on the team now.. but fin has dealt with it with alot of class..
and i give him credit for that
Old 01-14-2003, 08:06 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

and i would like to see fin start to grab more boards again....doing the little thigns.. (plus dirk has struggled the last two games as well)
Old 01-14-2003, 08:19 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

with all of this said..i expect fin to struggle shooting the ball off an on until..just about playoff time

i'm expecting a huge showing from fin this year in the post season..when it really counts

Why? because fin is that type of player
Old 01-14-2003, 09:07 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< with all of this said..i expect fin to struggle shooting the ball off an on until..just about playoff time

i'm expecting a huge showing from fin this year in the post season..when it really counts

Why? because fin is that type of player
>>

We all knock Finley for his ball handling and driving to the goal but last post season I think he handled both pretty well.

1996-2005
Old 01-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

fin is a very mediocre ball handler for a 2guard...but that doesn't mean that he can't be a tremendously successful player at his spot.. he's a two time all-star, so apparently he has overcome some of his shortcomings in magnificent fashion