Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-26-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs player whine too much to the refs. It doesn't do a DANG bit of good and it leads to multiple times in a game the Mavs play 4 on 5 defense because somebody (usually Nash) is whining to a ref.

If Cuban can stop griping about the refs then the Mavs can too.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really good point. There's absolutely NO reason to whine to the refs. You get their respect by playing hard and being the aggressor, NOT by talking.

Old 01-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

this is disturbing. i remember when we were playing well early on in the season, i thought we'd made a nice change of not talking to the refs much at all. we had a confidence that has somehow disappeared. i wonder whether all the underdog talk by Nellie's really gotten into the players' head, too.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

DTL - Good point. After all, to hear Nellie tell it, most of his players couldn't make other teams' rosters, and the Mavs are just "another good team."

Old 01-26-2003, 05:13 PM   #5
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

yeah, can't believe he said what he did about Griff and Bell. how can you expect them to play hard for you now if you openly belittle them and what they bring to the team.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

He tries to use statements like that as an inspirational tool but its really not the right kind for this team. It is useful for teams like the Lakers who get big headed real quickly but the Mavs tend to do the opposite, playing without confidence. He should be trying to make them feel like should always win and that their success has only to do with the way they play and has nothing to do with the other team. You never heard the great players give the defense any credit for a loss. They only talk about how they played and not what the other team did. This is one reason I think they begin to whine to the officials so much. Instead of feeling like they can win despite the officials or anything the other team may do simply by playing their own game, they feel like they ned every call to pull the game out.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I've found that Nellie always talks the Mavs down. I remember some of the press conferences
during and after the Utah series in 00/01 and he still had trouble saying anything positive about
them, although the boys were obviously over the moon!
I think he shares a similar motto to me, a pesimist is never dissapointed.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:47 PM   #8
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

more nellie talk

On Portland's team:
I think that those of us that know have them right up there with the other big boys. I have always talked about Portland in the same breath as our own team. With the exception of Sacramento who is better than all of us, I think the rest of us are in that next grouping.
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:52 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

KG... this is what I meant by playing a normal lineup. If he played a normal lineup he could say that. But since he played the small ball lineup, he can always say: we aren't as good.... so I have to use gimmicks.

I don't buy that crap. We are a good team. Nellie just needs to see it.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #10
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

i can still recall most of us swearing at Phil Jackson for not giving us any respect. now Nellie is doing the exact opposite, and it´s wrong aswell?

c´mon guys, don´t we know nellie long enough to know that he´s almost never sharing his real thoughts and opinions but playing roles and games with about anyone around?

i´m kinda sure he´s using a very different approach in locker.

nellie and the media is just a neverending story. and it´s not about universal truth and wisdom.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:09 PM   #11
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

This is an area that Bradley has improved the most. I wish the rest of the team would follow.

I think Cuban should fine players for complaining to the refs.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:21 AM   #12
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Jacktruth, when did Dirk say your signature? Very cool that he's getting in that frame of thinking...
Old 01-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Think it was the Phillie game.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:45 PM   #14
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

It was the Philly game.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:30 PM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

This is cuban's monster. While he was right that the NBA never calls traveling or missing blatant calls. But he would whine about it after a win. So it set precedence to do it all the time. Finley does it a lot but its getting better.

I don't by the underdog kings better talk. Nellie is just that type of football type coach oh they are so much better than us. And we suck its motivation. I just think that it rubs you the wrong way because some of what he says is true. The kings are prepared to win it all this year.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:36 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Well Finley and Nash are the capitans of our squad so when they argue with the refs it is very rare they get a tech.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote