Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2003, 12:51 AM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Personally...I'm not upset Finley didn't make the team. I'm somewhat upset Nash did...he's not played well at all. BUT...all this "mike should have been an all-star" talk smells like trouble. We don't need the whole team jumping on the Michael Finley bandwagon with comments like THIS:

"Mike's an All-Star, too," said Nowitzki, who like Nash will be appearing in his second All-Star Game. Both were in it last season. "He's our go-to guy. When the game is on the line, he's given the ball. He's played big for us all year. He deserves it as much as we did."

I don't like that at all...Michael Finley is a class A guy, and the epitome of what the Mavericks have to be proud of...BUT HE'S NOT A GO-TO GUY! He's around a top 35 player...top 35 players DON'T get you to the finals. Top 35 players DON'T command the respect that a, say, top 5 player respects.

I love this team's unity, but I truly hope that our best player, and one of the absolute, undeniable best players in the world does not TRULY believe that Mike should be our go-to guy. Urgh...rediculous.

Mike's a professional, give him support when he's down, but there's no need to give him any adoration like this.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:10 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I would agree that it is not a good thing to be labeling Fin the goto guy. For the Mavs to go to the next level, Dirk has to be the goto guy. But I still feel it's a shame that Fin didn't make the allstar team also.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the big deal about the comments made.

It reeks of Cuban more than anything. You heard about the promotional stints that Cuban went to for Nash and Nowitzki, this is probably his way of making it up to Fin.

Make sure you say good things about Fin, make sure you know he'll be missed, make sure you let it be known he's deserving, etc...

Fin probably hasn't read any of it, skipped the media so he didn't have to answer the same question over and over. He'll probably have something to say after the Rockets game when he'll be sure to be bombarded with the same questions then.

He'll do what he always does. Take it like man, make the appropiate comments and go out and prove his nay-sayers wrong.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:35 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Mike's a professional, give him support when he's down, but there's no need to give him any adoration like this. >>

Finley is hurting over his snub. I can't believe that you are griping that Dirk is giving him some compliments. I seem to remember Finley saying VERY nice things about Dirk the year he got snubbed.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Get real, mike's his buddy and they all feel invested in the teams success. what's dirk going to say, &quot;well, you know I'm the guy now so I should always go&quot;. come on..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:23 AM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The only person that I care to hear saying that Dirk is the go to guy is Nellie.

Of course, we all know Nellie doesn't seem to think that.. but.. he needs to.

Everybody else, it's just teammates supporting each other. I don't worry about it too much. These guys don't won't and can't have a chemistry problem. It's not in their makeup. Now, this makeup has cost us a few games already this year, but hey, who's counting.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Exactly, I think it's GREAT that teammates are saying good things about other team mates. I DON'T CARE if Dirk said, &quot;This is Finley's team.&quot; What he says and what he feels are two different things. ALSO the thing that has been great about this team is that it doesn't matter who steps up if we win, that's the important thing. That's why I don't care whose team it is, who can get us the freakin WIN!!!!!!!!!

There's nothing AT ALL wrong with what Dirk has said, there's nothing wrong with Fin being upset.. I would HOPE that he would be upset. Do you think Dirk was HAPPY the year he didn't make the All-Star team???? Now there would be a problem if Finley came out and said, &quot;I should have been an all-star before Dirk or Steve.&quot; Since that was not said I have no problem with anything that has transpired.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Support him...that's fine. Fin's earned that. But don't give him the keys to the city. What if Fin was finally starting to realize that Dirk should be the one taking the crunchtime shots? What does that tell him when Dirk says that type of stuff? Sounds to me like Dirk is willing to let his good friend be the go-to guy to keep him happy.

If Dirk doesn't believe that, he should NOT have said it. The thing is, Dirk does believe it. Why would he NOT believe it. Dumbass Nellie seems to think Finley can come up big in the clutch...still haven't seen it though.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

I think rallying around Fin is great and I love to see it, but I certainly hope that Dirk doesn't believe that Fin is the go-to-guy.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

No problem with it at all. But I think he is higher than 35 best player in the league. Just wonder what our team would have been like if we made the trade with the Bulls instead of the Pacers. Ron Artest is that two dimensional player, Brad Miller while not great certainly better than Brads, and Raef. 18pts 8 rebounds a game. Didn't the pacers give up only Rose and Best. Finley is certainly better than Rose.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:36 PM   #11
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

finley deserved it, it's just that maybe the injury last season was the reaason why he hasnt gotten back to his all-star mode. Theres always next year and hopefully MORE PEOPLE WILL VOTE!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

NBA's page.

YEAH!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

Thats just sad to see that a guy that has put his heart into the game and worked hard trying to help this team win every night doesnt get a spot but theres lots of talent out there now and its getting more difficult every year for finley when more of the youngsters start getting into their groove.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:30 PM   #14
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Fin's going to BLOW UP on the Rockets. I would be suprised if he gets under 30.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #15
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

The Mavs have a &quot;Big Three&quot;. Two got picked for the All-Star team. When that happens, the other two should, and did, rally around the idea that the other one was left off. I think it was the thing to do to give Fin his props.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:48 PM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Finley- 19.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.0 apg
Nash- 18.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 6.8 apg

And who plays better defence?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:49 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

there's nothing wrong with what any of the mavs said.
they are friends and teammates..they support each other.
we all know who &quot;the guy&quot; has to be when we're talking about the playoffs and the future...but there's nothing wrong with dirk and nash supporting their teammates
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:48 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

100% agreed murph.....well said.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:20 PM   #19
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< And who plays better defence? >>

pshhh.. Neither one.

Finley's defense was never worse than the recent loss in Seattle. Nash's troubles are well documented, although when he's got the energy and the health, he's a better defender than Finley, just because of the effort put forth.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:31 PM   #20
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road

Let's be happy with who we're sending over. The West is saturated with talent, just look who was left off the roster all together. Several teams are sending no one at all. I personally feel Finley over Nash, but that's neither here nor there.