Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-25-2001, 03:15 PM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I got the idea from the last post. Anyway, from the opinions people post on here, I've pretty much developed in my mind what position on the court people who post on this board would play. Anyone can input their opinions and correct me if they think my opinion is wrong (which doesn't happen very often [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) So I'll start like this.

PG: DJ, definate leader. Backup: Rob
SG: Myself, because I'm a huge Fin fan, Backup: MFFL, Mavsfan (I don't have to start every game) Can count on them when you need them.
SF: Flying Tiger, because he's "versatile" Backup: Scooter J, and Giostar, Hales
PF: Murph, Can be nasty when necessary, very agressive. Backup: Big Boy,
C: Mavnator, DOES ANYONE NEED TO ASK WHY. Backup: Madape, EvilMav

Anyone could change what you want or just give me your opinion!

I'm thinking I'd probably lead the team in scoring [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2001, 03:18 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i don't back up anybody... but, murph has to start somewhere... he's got a million freakin' posts. maybe murph should coach. he's always got the right opinion and loves telling people what to do...
Old 06-25-2001, 03:26 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

lol BBL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

As long as I get 20+ minutes a game, that'll be cool for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. And BBL should be the starting center. He's an original member and also the biggest(6-8, 240).

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I'll only give up my starting position for a Laettner fan...
Old 06-25-2001, 03:36 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be the player-coach....and the GM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 03:38 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm the coach, ...
i'm gonna pull an allen iverson and shoot 30+ times a freaking game.
you guys need to just be there for the rebounds.

actually, this is a cool post, i have been playing basketball 4-5 times a week for the past few months....so, very fitting post.

Old 06-25-2001, 03:39 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

can i be a juwan howard-like power forward?
can i not rebound, not play defense and still pull in almost 20 million a year? ...

sorry for the triple post
Old 06-25-2001, 03:41 PM   #8
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

actually, this is a cool post, i have been playing basketball 4-5 times a week for the past few months....so, very fitting post.

Same here. I cut my knee open a few days ago though and I can't run any more, so I guess I'm actually on the IR.

Life ain't easy for the world's smallest, least-talented center...

(I mean me, not Theo Ratliff...)
Old 06-25-2001, 03:43 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

the worst injury i've ever had from basketball is ripping the skin off of one of my fingers...
got the skin caught on the rim....disgusting..

not same i have any type of jumping ability...but, with a volleyball, i wasn't bad
Old 06-25-2001, 03:45 PM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

So you're following Bradley with the KNEE Huh Mavinator?

I think everyone else who aren't in the "top posters" would be our bench! I guess DJ Rob R would be Point guard then, and DJ should be Coach/GM.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:49 PM   #11
Mavinator
Golden Member

Hahahah... Bradley and I are in similar positions. He wouldn't be the player he is without his running ability...

The Best Running 7-6 Player in the History of the Game
Old 06-25-2001, 03:52 PM   #12
Mavinator
Golden Member

The main difference between us is that Bradley is the Future All-Time Leader in Shotblocking, whereas I am the Future All-Time Leader in Getting Your Shot Blocked... Pretty soon I'm going to pass 6-7 center Reggie Slater on the leaderboard.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:54 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Here's my opinion on the team.

PG - ROB
SG - Mavinator(not suited for any other position with his body size)
SF - Giostar/Hales
PF - Murphy
C - BBL(he's one big dude)

Backup G's - MFFL, TheKid, MavsFanFinley
Backup F'f - Flying Tiger(age a factor here), scooter, madape
Backup C's - Evilmav

Coach/GM - DJbacklash

Think I got everybody

Old 06-25-2001, 03:57 PM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

How are you going to Move me to the bench???? Also, you forgot DJ!
Old 06-25-2001, 04:00 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

DJ would be the coach and GM. And Mavinator's been around longer then you but if he's on IR then you can take his spot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2001, 04:01 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

Just glad I could be part of the team. I'm a team player, plus I'd want to come in with the second unit so I could jack up some shots. Also, I've been around longer than Murph!
Old 06-25-2001, 04:02 PM   #17
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

DJ's the boss, let him make the decisions. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll be happy with anything he says cause I'm a team player. Unless he benches me then I'll demand a trade. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2001, 04:10 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i have bad ankles from years of balling, but i've also done what you're speaking of, murph (ripped finger/hand). i went to play ball, but no one was there, so i decided to work out instead. well, i didn't bring my workout gloves, so i got some small callouses. after i finished working out, there were people playing ball, so i joined in. on one play, i got the ball on a sweet dish, and rose up for the one-handed jam. i made it, but when i pulled on the rim, it ripped off the callouses on my index and middle fingers. blood was everywhere. i went and got my hand taped in the training room, then went back out to play. pretty fun.

man, it is perfect weather for outdoor ball here in nashville. i've been playing about 3 times a week (i play softball the other nights), but on saturdays, i'm out there for about 4-5 hours.

i don't need to take all the shots, but my inside/outside game should propel us to victory... and i actually like to rebound. just don't take stupid shots, or i'll get pissed.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:10 PM   #19
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator's Game

Very limited ball-handling ability, decent but streaky jumpshot with range up to 15 feet. Prefers short dribble-penetrations to actual posting up due to usual size disadvantage but quickness advantage. Excellent footwork. Is good to very good at creating shots over taller defenders once in the post. Can hit hook shots off the glass with decent range. Sticky, dirty, Chris Childs-esque defender with good foot-speed but is vulnerable to being physically overpowered. Has only been playing organized ball for a few months, has decent upside.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:13 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

great scouting report. sounds like a player. i like this line the best... "Has only been playing organized ball for a few months, has decent upside." these drafts are all about potential, you know...

i'd do my own scouting report, but i don't want to seem cocky... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2001, 04:18 PM   #21
Mavinator
Golden Member

Hey, anybody who can dunk and hit three-pointers can't be too cocky in my book...
Old 06-25-2001, 04:23 PM   #22
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

ROB W R's Scouting Report

True point guard. Quick and nimble. Good ballhandling skills with a great outside touch. Prefers the perimeter but does have the ability to take the ball to the hole. No limit to his range. Lackluster defender but does have a knack for getting his hands on the ball. Surprisingly good shotblocker for his size(5-10, 150). Perfers wide open, up and down style of basketball. Thinks more about his teammates then him self.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2001, 04:27 PM   #23
Mavinator
Golden Member

Wait a minute, are you Raul Lopez?
Old 06-25-2001, 04:29 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

No, but I look kinda like him. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2001, 04:31 PM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Come on everybody, give us your scouting report.

Old 06-25-2001, 04:34 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

"True point guard. Quick and nimble." he goes crazy when he hears a cymbal... and a hi-hat, with a souped up-tempo, he's on a roll... time to go solo. rollin' in his 5.0, got the ragtop down, so his hair can blow...

ok, i'll stop... that's enough of that...

Big Boy Laroux's Scouting Report

Big Body, Strong. Extensive myriad of low-post moves. aggressive rebounder, on both offense and defense. Automatic from 15 feet. Range extends to 3-4 feet behind college three-point line. Could be average NBA 3-pt shooter. Excellent passer out of the post. Good court vision. Strong post defender, good shot-blocker, relatively quick hands. Decent speed for his size, but lacks overall quickness and ball-handling ability. 70 - 75% free throw shooter.

Comparable to Christian Laettner, Raef LaFrentz...
Old 06-25-2001, 04:48 PM   #27
Mavinator
Golden Member

That's the game I'm working toward, Big Boy, though I don't think I'll ever have that kind of shooting range...
Old 06-25-2001, 04:52 PM   #28
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

when i say i have range out there, i'm not saying i'm automatic... but it's a shot i'm comfortable taking (i don't take it that often), and can hit.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:00 PM   #29
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Ok, I'll get ya the ball anywhere inside 15 feet. Anywhere outside there, I'll knock it down for ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2001, 05:04 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Tremendous rebounder, averaged a rebound every two minutes played. Has a good jumpshot from 18 foot in, with confidence to put up the three. Has a deadly turn around jumper from 15 feet in. A very solid free throw shooter for a power forward. Has the ability to handle the ball, can even handle the ball well enough in pressure situations. However, does not have the quickness to guard the smaller players. A very intelligent player that will put his body on the line. In all likeliness, Murphy will be seen in the third row of the stands at least once during every game. If he's not bleeding, his work isn't done. A gritty defender. Do not think you can cut through the lane without a knee in the thigh if Murph is playing. His height and jumping ability are not prototypical for the power forward position, however, his agressiveness and heart often make up for any shortcomings. The Murph will also draw a charge in every game or two. The only drawbacks is his propensity to commit flagrant fouls and not give up the break away layup. However, in recent games, he has shown the ability to resist the easy "shove" in the back.

Loves to use the glass and loves to dish the ball.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:13 PM   #31
TheKid
Diamond Member

Scouting report Dick Vitale Style on THEKID:

This guy is PTPer Baby. Has great size for a two guard 6'2, 235. He can post you up or hit the outside shot. Can also take it the hole with Good quickness for size and has great leaping ability. Crafty defender who'll take the ball from you if you're not paying attention. This kid can flat out play. If this kid has a weakness it's that he's TOO unselfish, sometimes he tries to be John Stockton when he should be a Dennis Scott.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:31 PM   #32
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

You call that Dick Vitale style? I only read one "Baby"
Old 06-25-2001, 06:45 PM   #33
TheKid
Diamond Member

"Can flat out play" Dick Vitale line
"PTPer" Dick Vitale line
Also I used a player from the ACC (Dennis Scott) the man WORSHIPS the ACC.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:46 PM   #34
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Scouting report on MFFL

Willing to bang inside, but does not have a prototype NBA body for a power forward - too short (6') and too light (200 lbs). Tires easily. Makes free-throws at a rate that is very Shaq-like. Makes three pointers at a rate that is again very Shaq-like. Ugly shot - very much like a drunk Juwan Howard. Adequate defender but is frequently overmatched by younger/quicker players. Makes excellent decisions, but his body is often unable to execute the play. Very old for a rookie.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:19 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

lol, so basically you can't play basketball. Hmmmmm, you could be an assistant coach. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2001, 10:13 PM   #36
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

This is a pretty cool thread, but since it's not really Mavs-related, I'm moving it over to the off-topic area [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 10:14 PM   #37
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and seeing as how I'm not much of a shooter, passer, or defender, I think my role is best served on the bench! MFFL you can be my top assistant [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Or perhaps I could be the "Mark Cuban" of the team..
Old 06-25-2001, 11:16 PM   #38
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

That's cool with me. Since Harris draws about a mil paycheck from Cuban, I think my salary should be comparable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 12:06 AM   #39
djb
Administrator

Seeing as how I'll soon be certified as a personal trainer, I can also be the "Roger Hinds" of the team.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:54 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

we need to start talking about a contract extension