Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Tempting to think of Garnett as a Bull

April 14, 2003

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI STAFF REPORTER

The Bulls

MINNEAPOLIS--There was a time Kevin Garnett was part of the chorus, even the lead tenor, criticizing Jerry Krause and the Bulls for dismantling their dynasty.

Garnett claimed elite free agents, implying himself, would never play for the Bulls because of how they treated Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, who were conducting the chorus.

Well, the chorus doesn't have Krause to serenade anymore, and Garnett seemed to be changing his tune Sunday.

''They have a good team, and they just have to get a couple of people around there, and it will blossom into something beautiful,'' Garnett said. ''They have a lot of good, young players who someday will be dominant in this league.''

A couple of people? How about a 6-11, 220-pound forward who spent his senior year of high school at Farragut Academy and is somewhat disenchanted his contract wasn't extended last summer? Could Garnett, who at 26 is enjoying his best season, be setting the table for someday returning to Chicago?

It's a tempting thought for Bulls fans, if not for that minor detail of the salary cap. Garnett is slated to make $28 million next season, which is the last year of his contract.

To trade for him, the Bulls would have to start with Jalen Rose, Eddie Robinson and Donyell Marshall, then sweeten it with Jamal Crawford while throwing in LeBron James, and it's a done deal.

As far as pursuing Garnett as a free agent, the Bulls will not have enough cap room.

There's speculation if Garnett's deal isn't extended and he begins dropping hints about playing elsewhere in 2004, Minnesota might consider a trade before the February deadline. But a team would have to unload its entire roster, which would put that team in the same position as the Timberwolves with Garnett and a first-round exit.

It's more realistic to consider the Bulls signing Pippen to the $4.5 million cap exception this summer. After Krause's resignation, Pippen said he would be interested in returning if the Bulls included a piece of the managerial pie. That's the sticking point, because while team sources said they would love Pippen the player, Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf may not be as quick to forget some of Pippen's inflammatory comments.

Besides, Pippen is damaged goods right now.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Dallas trades:
SG Michael Finley (19.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.0 apg in 39.0 minutes)
PG Nick Van Exel (12.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.2 apg in 27.7 minutes)
C Evan Eschmeyer (1.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 7.9 minutes)
Dallas receives:
SF Kevin Garnett (23.1 ppg, 13.3 rpg, 6.0 apg in 40.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -10.0 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and -1.6 apg. [/b]

Minnesota trades:
Minnesota receives:
SG Michael Finley (19.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.0 apg in 67 games)
PG Nick Van Exel (12.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.2 apg in 71 games)
C Evan Eschmeyer (1.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17 games)
Change in team outlook: +10.0 ppg, -2.9 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Lineup:
PG: Nash, Best, A.J.
SG: Sekularac, Griffin, Bell
SF: Dirk, Askrabic
PF: Garnett, Najera, W. Williams
C: Bradley, Raef

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 04-14-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

in my dreams.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

throw in najera, and it's a deal
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I hope Cuban doesn't make a call offering that deal. The T-Wolves would laugh their asses off.

Sorry, that deal is a joke.

For the T-Wolves to even consider trading with the Mavs, start with BOTH Finley and Nash to even get them to listen further where Garnett is concerned.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:00 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< Man, I hope Cuban doesn't make a call offering that deal. The T-Wolves would laugh their asses off.

For the T-Wolves to even consider trading with the Mavs, start with BOTH Finley and Nash to even get them to listen further where Garnett is concerned.
>>

Not the best time of the year to talk trade, but I'd deal Finley and Nash quickly to get Garnett.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< To trade for him, the Bulls would have to start with Jalen Rose, Eddie Robinson and Donyell Marshall, then sweeten it with Jamal Crawford while throwing in LeBron James, and it's a done deal. >>

I don't see Chicago giving up all that for Garnett either, but what if the Bulls don't get Lebron?

The only team that I could see giving up alot for Garnett would be Portland. They could give up Rasheed, Bonzi, and Jeff Mcinnis for him. That would still leave them Stoudemire, D. Anderson, R. Patterson, Garnett, and Dale Davis as their starting Five. Scary!!!

Minnesota would have a Starting five of Hudson, Bonzi, Wally, Rasheed, and Nesterovic, with Mcinnis coming off the Bench.

EDIT: Added the Minny starting five.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

so would i KG..

would it still be enough? would the wolves only make a move to the mavs if it involved dirk?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 AM   #9
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< throw in najera, and it's a deal
>>

Actually Najera and Esch make about the same money. It would work.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

So Murph would do a trade of Finley, Nick, and Najera for Garnett. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd trade anybody but Dirk for KG. I'd hate to see some of my favorite players leave, but so be it.

I got over Raffy, I got over Steve Buechele [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I could much more easily get over Nash and/or Finley.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:56 AM   #11
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

For the fun of it, would this make Sacramento any better? Garnett isn't nearly as injury prone as what Webber is. Oh and btw, you could substitute Vlade for Pollard and Price if you wanted too. Money matches.

Sacramento trades:
PF Chris Webber (23.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 5.4 apg in 39.4 minutes)
C Scot Pollard (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 13.9 minutes)
C Brent Price (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 13.9 minutes)
Sacramento receives:
Change in team outlook: -4.3 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

Minnesota trades:
Minnesota receives:
PF Chris Webber (23.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 5.4 apg in 66 games)
C Scot Pollard (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 22 games)
C Brent Price (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 22 games)
Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Old 04-14-2003, 11:13 AM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< so would i KG..

would it still be enough? would the wolves only make a move to the mavs if it involved dirk?
>>

I honestly don't know, but everyone knows Dirk isn't going anywhere.

I'd prefer, btw, to improve by adding to the nucleus rather than dramatically altering it, but if the chance to get Garnett without giving Dirk came, you'd have to jump. Dirk, Garnett, Bradley is a monster frontline, and Nick and a decent FA SG (Derek Anderson?) would be more than enough in the backcourt.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:13 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< For the fun of it, would this make Sacramento any better? Garnett isn't nearly as injury prone as what Webber is. Oh and btw, you could substitute Vlade for Pollard and Price if you wanted too. Money matches.

Sacramento trades:
PF Chris Webber (23.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 5.4 apg in 39.4 minutes)
C Scot Pollard (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 13.9 minutes)
C Brent Price (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 13.9 minutes)
Sacramento receives:
Change in team outlook: -4.3 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

Minnesota trades:
Minnesota receives:
PF Chris Webber (23.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 5.4 apg in 66 games)
C Scot Pollard (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 22 games)
C Brent Price (4.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 22 games)
Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
>>

I think the Kings would be better.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #14
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

So a lineup of would be pretty nasty huh:

PG: Bibby
SG: Peja
SF: Christie
PF: Garnett
C: Vlade

Damn now that I look at it, damn that does scare the shit out of me... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Why would sacramento trade their bread and butter Webber sure they do have the depth to make a big trade. I do trade finley and nash for KG my offense runs through kg and dirk i fill out my roster with minimum guys.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< Man, I hope Cuban doesn't make a call offering that deal. The T-Wolves would laugh their asses off.

>>

Fin and Nash for Garnett? The Wolves would still laugh their asses off.
Garnett probably was the most valuable player in the league this year. If you want him you´d have to offer Duncan or Dirk, maybe Kobe or McGrady (plus throw ins to make the contracts work), or a very good package, nothing like Fin/Nash.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:16 PM   #17
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

actualy,i think Steve and Mike would probably do the trick,maybe throw in a Evan to give them some muscel but all in all,2 all stars for a superstar sounds right.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I think Fin and Nash would at least get them thinking. I don't think they deal Garnett unless they are forced to.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #19
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Agree KG, I don't believe Garnett would be traded. However, if he remains in a state of discontent regarding future moves(and past moves for that matter) of the wolves to bring in players around him in order to build a legit contender, he could very well demand a trade. I look at this as a win/win situation for minnesota. 1) They retain the services of one of, if not the best players in the league and make moves(especially after next season)to aquire players that not only meet Kevin's high expectations, but compliment his playing style as well. 2) They get a once in a lifetime opportunity to trade 1 player, and receive in return mutiple players with high talent given Garnetts value and the size of his contract. My question is will minnesota convince Kevin to stay, or will they handle this like an auction with the question being- Just how bad do you want him?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< I think Fin and Nash would at least get them thinking. I don't think they deal Garnett unless they are forced to. >>

I think the Mavs should be open to trading anyone on the team who doesn't have the initials DN for Garnett. I'd trade most of the rest of the team for him.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:25 PM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< For the T-Wolves to even consider trading with the Mavs, start with BOTH Finley and Nash to even get them to listen further where Garnett is concerned. >>

Fidel...that's why I said you'd have to start with BOTH Finley and Nash to even get the Wolves to listen to the Mavs about trading Garnett.

I wasn't suggesting that Finley and Nash were enough, but you can't mention only one of the big 3 and throw in junk to get Garnett.

I figure it would take Finley, Nash, Raef and probably Najera or a couple first round picks. Maybe some cash as well.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It still might be worth it. As much as I love Fin and the others...it would be tempting. Of course....it'll never happen anyways.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:47 AM   #23
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

&quot;TRADE ACCEPTED&quot;

Not by the people running the teams.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:53 AM   #24
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< &lt;&lt; For the T-Wolves to even consider trading with the Mavs, start with BOTH Finley and Nash to even get them to listen further where Garnett is concerned. &gt;&gt;

Fidel...that's why I said you'd have to start with BOTH Finley and Nash to even get the Wolves to listen to the Mavs about trading Garnett.

I wasn't suggesting that Finley and Nash were enough, but you can't mention only one of the big 3 and throw in junk to get Garnett.

I figure it would take Finley, Nash, Raef and probably Najera or a couple first round picks. Maybe some cash as well.
>>

I know you meant it that way MFF. Still I don´t think the Wolves would consider such a deal. That´s not how it works usually. A lot of good players do not equal one great player IMO. And Nash is a talented player no doubt, but he just isn´t durable enough. I think that severly hurts his trade value.
Finley is very solid, a good sg, but he´s also a little overpaid (considering the circumstances in Dallas he´s not overpaid, but I don´t think other GM´s would care for that). Garnett is an exeptional talent. One of the best players in the game. And he´s still young. IMO the Wolves would be stupid to listen to any deal that doesn´t include Duncan, Dirk, Kobe or McGrady. And since you don´t trade big for small that leaves you with Duncan and Dirk. Shaq and Webber are too old. The only other scenario that would make sense for the Wolves is to get alot of very good young talent in return for KG. The Pacers could work such a deal, or perhaps the team that gets LeBron. The Mavs can´t. We need to concentrate on getting good young talent ourselves for one or two of our vets.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #25
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Anything short of a superstar player they probably balk at, but 7 straight playoff failures by kg might change their mind. Something like 90% of their payroll is netted around this guy.And it gets worse next year when wally's first year of the 67 million dollar deal comes into play. Bottom line if they want to shake things up they will have to give up considerably less then what kg is worth. The deal would probably involve at least two other teams. The clips could offer Brand, Miller, and the Candiman in a sign and trade.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #26
Kevink00012

Kevink00012 is on a distinguished road

<< throw in najera, and it's a deal
>>

Throw in Bradley/LaFrenz for Nesterovic
Kevink00012 is offline   Reply With Quote