Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
ABM

ABM is on a distinguished road

I have two questions fer ya. Please be honest:

1) When you found out you would be playing the Blazers as opposed to the Lakers, did you jump for joy?

2) Do you consider the Blazers a much inferior team to the Mavs? Why, or why not.

I'm just very curious as to what others outside the Blazers circle "truly" think.

Thanks!!
ABM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

1) No.

2) Less cohesive, more inconsistent. Therefore, less successful.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31 is an unknown quantity at this point

1) no because the blazers are a tough team.. they present just as much if not more matchup problems for the mavs than the lakers.. if we are playing our best we can beat either team...

2)Blazers are not inferior, I think they need a real pg...
Old 04-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

You ask for two questions with extreme choices, but I'll be honest.

1) Joy? No. I felt relief. Nobody in their right mind wants to play the Lakers in the first round.
2) I consider the Blazers to be an inferior team, yes. Much inferior? No. I think in a 5 or 7 game series, the Mavs win. Blazers clearly can and probably will win a game, maybe even two-even with a healthy Pippen. But Dirk is simply that good. Add Nash and an improving Finley, and I think there is a reason there a "Big 4" in the Western Conference.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

1)did not jump for joy, but I was a bit relieved. (more from getting to deal with the back-monkey later rather than sooner)
2)no. The blazers are not vastly inferior. They've got plenty of talent. If they can keep their act together, they have a chance of winning.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
ABM

<< 2)Blazers are not inferior, I think they need a real pg... >>

You mean, Damon Stoudamire ain't it?! LOL!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

1. No, i felt worse
2. Please
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

<<

<< 2)Blazers are not inferior, I think they need a real pg... >>

You mean, Damon Stoudamire ain't it?! LOL!
>>

damon is more of a sg.. he cannot really playmake.. but he can score.. as he showed in the first half of game 1.. but as you can see the 2nd half, he cant really create.. like pg's are supposed ..
Old 04-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

1)No i would only jump for joy if it were Minnesota or Utah (not so high).
2)Not really, Portland has a lot of things that Dallas lacks (muscles, big guards).
And what´s up with you ABM?
1) Did you jump for joy playing Dallas?
2)Do you consider the Mavs a much superior team to the Blazers? Why or Why not?
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:17 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

1. No. To me it was a lose lose situation. I was hoping for the T-wolves because to me the Mavs didn't end the season on a positive note.

2. Too inconsistent. If they are on there game they can beat anybody in the NBA. They let there emotions get to them and that kills them. There is a reason why they haven't won a playoff game since Dunleavy was coach. I think the Blazers would be more effective playing Wallace in the post.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:19 PM   #11
ABM

It's interesting. The Blazers have a boatload of 'B' players, but no real 'A' players - other than, perhaps, Wallace - to speak of.

It's no small secret that you &quot;win&quot; with 'A' players in this league.

That will be Bob Whitsitt's directive (provided he is still with the team) this coming summer. Many think that Bonzi Wells, Zach Randolph, and Qyntel Woods (our rookie) can become 'A' players and the nucleus of the &quot;new&quot; Blazers. Therefore, folks are getting on the &quot;Trade Wallace!&quot; bandwagon. He's said to have had his best yeas here and it's time for him to move on - epecially, with an ever-emerging Randoph. Certainly, his recent tamed temper will help in working a deal with another team.

Yes, the Blazers are in DIRE need of a playmaking Point Guard. Hey, we'll trade you Antonio Daniels, Stoudamire, and CASH for Nash!

Seriously, though, if the Blazers do lose in the early rounds, expect to see this Blazers team - and, perhaps, management - get broken up.

Thanks for all your honest answers!!

AtlantaBLAZERMan (ABM)
Old 04-21-2003, 06:23 PM   #12
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

hehe i feel your pain ABM, the blazers are my 2nd favorite team to dallas.. and i love rasheed, i feel he needs way more touches, dude is a machine like dirk is... if you guys had a playmaking pg you guys would be very hard to beat. Like before pip went down you guys were on pace for battling with dallas and san antonio for the first seed, you guys were on a roll..
Old 04-21-2003, 06:27 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'd package Wallace and Antonio who don't have not really caused trouble this season and get that point guard you guys need. You could always find that point guard in the draft. The series isn't over yet though. The Blazers are in this just as much as the Mavs are.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #14
ABM

<< And what´s up with you ABM?
1) Did you jump for joy playing Dallas?
>>

To be honest, I see the Blazers matching up better with the Mavs, than with the T-Wolves. Plus, considering that the Lakers have swept the Blazers in the 1st Round the past 2 years, I SURE as heck didn't want to see them again!

When the Blazers have done their best against the Mavs, it's been when they've played a physical game with them. Patterson, Randolph, and Wells play that type of game. That's one of the reasons the Blazers were able to beat the Mavs while Wallace was suspended. You'll probably see a lot more pushing, shoving and jostling from the Blazers in Game 2. I'm sure Nelly and the Mavs are aware of that and I'm curious to see what he will come up with to disarm that.

<< 2)Do you consider the Mavs a much superior team to the Blazers? Why or Why not? >>

Maybe not MUCH superior, but superior, nonetheless. If the Mavs and the Blazers both bring their &quot;A&quot; game for every game, the Mavs win the Series 4-2 - with one of the Blazer victories coming by luck, or refs, or both.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #15
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

haha the refs have been really bad to the blazers.. i remember those lakers' series... mann i was soo frustrated..hahaaha
Old 04-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you're right..the blazers only have one star level player.. that's wallace. they are more athletic than the mavs..but, athleticism only gets you so far
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

And I would even argue that Wallace isn't even an &quot;A&quot; player. Not sure how a 17 point, 8 rebound, player can be labeled an &quot;A&quot; player.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:10 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

is fin an &quot;A&quot; player at 19 and 5-6?
nash an &quot;A&quot; player? Wallace is certainly at their level
Old 04-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #19
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Hey ABM

1. Slight relief (emphasis on slight) is what I would say I felt. Because the Lakers put the fear of God in the Mavericks, they also put the fear of god in Mavericks fans so not playing them first was a but of relief. But the Mavericks also have a mental thing with the Blazers. The Blazers have pushed them around a couple of times and gotten into their heads.

2. I guess if you have to put it that way, yes &quot;Inferior&quot; but the Blazers are a good team so I don't like to use that word. Despite the jokes about the chaos in Portland, I think for the Blazers, a squadron of pretty good players and no star, to come together and play the way they do at times requires exceptional team unity. Bonzi Wells can be a second tier star when he wants to be (didn't seem to want to this year) DA is also a nice player who would start for a few teams in this league, a 39 year old Pippeb can still be a force to be reckoned with at times, you have a versatile if underachieving Power Forward in Wallace and a defensive rebounding machine in Dale Davis. Patterson is still a valuable weapon off the bench and Zach Randolph's emergence only makes them stronger. There's also a lot of weakneses but Portland can give many teams a run for their money if they play their game and make the other team play it as well.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:45 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< I have two questions fer ya. Please be honest:

1) When you found out you would be playing the Blazers as opposed to the Lakers, did you jump for joy?

2) Do you consider the Blazers a much inferior team to the Mavs? Why, or why not.

I'm just very curious as to what others outside the Blazers circle &quot;truly&quot; think.

Thanks!!
>>

1) No jumping for joy, but I was much happier playing the Blazers in the 1st round.
2) Don't consider the Blazers a much inferior team, but I do think that the Mavs are better. Blazers have great depth and lots of athletism. They lack the shooting and cohesiveness of the Mavs. Blazers tend to beat themselves more. But when the Blazers play their best they are close to the best. Just not very consistent doing that.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #21
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

wallace is an &quot;A&quot; player.. he doesnt get the ball enough.. nowitzki is starting to get more touches finally.. I hope the blazers do the same with wallace.. feeed the man..
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #22
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

1) honestly yes. I jumped through the roof. Although Portland can be a very difficult matchup, LA may be an impossible match up. Dallas would have to be red hot to take LA in a 7 game series. With Portland, it is a much more even matchup
2) IMO Dallas is much better. Portland has tons of talent, but little chemistry. But they do seem to find chemistry for little spurts every year, and look like the best team in the league. If they were to hit that spurt during the playoffs, they'd be dangerous.
And this may sound odd, but IMO Portland needs to make a bad trade or 2. If they'd give up some talent for some better role players, and then pick the 3 or 4 guys they really want to build around, they'd fair much better.

In other words, do what ever it takes to get rid of Damon, Scottie, Patterson, and probably even Bonzi just to get his bad attitude away from Wallace. then build around Randolph, Wallace, Anderson, McInnis. And MAKE Wallace Portland's version of CWEBB, DIRK, and KG. because he is good enough to be that kind of guy.

5. davis
4. Randolph
3. SHEED
2. Anderson
1. McInnis
and Daniels as a spark plug
and with all they trades they could aquire some QUALITY depth.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #23
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

1.) No. Like everyone's said, relief. Who wants the Lakers? (Answer: Not Minnesota, that's for sure.) Joy? No. It would have been joy if we got Houston.

2.) No. They have issues &amp; are less of a team than the Mavs. They are also lacking a Dirk. Mostly, I think everyone is anxious not to take them too lightly--b/c that's when they kill you. They didn't win us twice this year for no reason.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:23 PM   #24
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< is fin an &quot;A&quot; player at 19 and 5-6? >>

No.

<< nash an &quot;A&quot; player? >>

No.

<< Wallace is certainly at their level >>

Yes. Fin is a second tier shooting guard. Wallace is a second tier power forward. Nash is a first tier point guard but he is not durable enough to be a consistent first tier point guard.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:28 PM   #25
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

#1 No, I did not jump for joy. Of course I was relieved as most Mavs fans that it wouldn't be the Lakers.

#2 Depends on how you define inferior. I think the Mavs will prevail over the Blazers. The Blazers don't have their heads on straight enough to win in the playoffs.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:23 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Fair enough bayliss..
I completely agree that it depends upon your definition of what an &quot;A&quot; list player is.

I would put Nash and Wallace at about the same level for their positions..with fin slightly behind
Old 04-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #27
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

1) No jumping for joy here...the playoffs are still the playoffs. Do you think that the Spurs are NOW overjoyed that they drew the Suns ?

2) The Blazers. I agree with what Sweets said. Blazers are just plain erratic. While some of the players are appealing (I like Zach a lot); they just can't seem to pull in the same direction at the same time.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:30 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

1) Yes. The choices were between the Lakers and the Blazers. The Blazer fans know how it feels to play the Lakers in the 1st round - I didn't want to experience that feeling.

2) Yes. The Blazers do not have any player who is as good as Dirk. Only Wallace is as good as Nash. The &quot;team&quot; concept does not consistently win in the playoffs - superstars win in the playoffs. Now of course the Blazers can win the series, they have talented players who can occasionally overcome the odds and defeat a more talented team. If this was a 5 game series then I would worry about an upset. In a 7 game series the more talented team usually wins.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote